• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SiegfriedFM said:
If there was no threat list any decently intelligent mob would always go for healers first. Of course, it could make for a pretty interesting game where the "tanks" just find ways to slow down the mob or physically intervene.

sounds like faction champions. fun fight before the nerf.

JWong

Banned
DeathNote said:
A tank doesn't make sense IMO. There are 9 other people and the boss attacks X 90% of the time because of "threat".
Well, if the tank is in-your-face threatening, kinda make sense why enemies would try to kill him first.
funkmastergeneral said:
sounds like faction champions. fun fight before the nerf.
Faction champ was just random targeting. It is purely a CC fight with a bit of tank effort with taunts and fight start.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
KibblesBits said:
Right now it's "LK" because I haven't done anything with Cata and may not for a week or two.
When you scroll to the bottom of C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Logs\launcher.log do you see anything that says "Time-out while loading patch notes from 'http://launcher.worldofwarcraft.com/2.0/CT/patch-notes.xml?version=4.0.3.13329&locale=en-US'"? Copy and paste the url.

J-Rzez

Can't wait to see all the weirdos in line tonight. I do confess it's a guilty pleasure of mine to smile at having people walk up to me and to introduce themselves as "I'm Zelthros, Human Warlock, 2nd in command of 'The Righteous Hand' guild". I never-ever see these people anywhere else around here out and about, they just come out of the woodwork every 2 or so years for these launches.

J-Rzez said:
Can't wait to see all the weirdos in line tonight. I do confess it's a guilty pleasure of mine to smile at having people walk up to me and to introduce themselves as "I'm Zelthros, Human Warlock, 2nd in command of 'The Righteous Hand' guild". I never-ever see these people anywhere else around here out and about, they just come out of the woodwork every 2 or so years for these launches.

I'm sure they say the same about you.

FLEABttn

Banned
J-Rzez said:

I went to a TBC midnight launch and it was creepy. It was embarrassing to be there. I never did another.

Also, Amazon, despite not switching it over to release date shipping, is getting my GF's CE to us tomorrow. So she won't have to use mine.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Raide said:
Quick question, does anyone know the safest way to sell a WoW account?
outside of selling it to a service, there isn't one. It's a virtual good meaning that any of the mainstream ways, i.e. ebay/paypal etc are susceptible to the same scamming. That doesn't mean you can't sell it on ebay, just saying there's the same risk no matter what, aside from selling it to a gold farming service.

Hixx

mclem said:
I've heard that there's a little bit of a bottleneck at the start of Vashj'ir; if you can get ahead of it, you're golden, otherwise you might have some trouble.

I've also heard that there's very heavy phasing other than that bottleneck, so for the most part you'll not be competing *too* much for mobs.

The first 30-45 mins of Vashj'ir will be hell, tiny area and I had problems finding the collection items for quests on the beta where there were only 5 or 6 people and it was right near the end when timers etc were getting close to finalized. It is VERY heavily phased though as you said but if you're in a real rush to 85, vashj'ir will frustrate the hell out of you tonight/tomorrow.

Less than 5 hours now :D

No Cataclysm for me tonight.

Ordered 2 Ce's one from amazon, one from play. Play shipped Saturday, Amazon sunday morning. Neither arrived today, may not even arrive tomorrow considering how bad the weather is.

Europe doesn't do early in the week launches. Fuck grr.

Repgnar

I think i'm going to pick this up later in the week. The first couple days after Wrath, the starting zones were filled with people and competing for quests wasn't too fun. I may still cave and reactivate the account and prepurchase Cata before class tonight but i'm not sure. Still have to decide if I want to level my 80 or reroll a goblin priest.

notworksafe

Kweh said:
Hmm, that didn't work for me. I loaded the game up and it said it was up to date, and reverted my accountType back to "LK" in my config.WTF.
Sounds like you've already been pre-loaded. Did you do a digital upgrade to Cata?

Kweh

notworksafe said:
Sounds like you've already been pre-loaded. Did you do a digital upgrade to Cata?

Nope, my copy is winging it's way to me from GAME.co.uk. I did notice it updating for a bit yesterday, maybe that was it.

notworksafe

Kweh said:
Nope, my copy is winging it's way to me from GAME.co.uk. I did notice it updating for a bit yesterday, maybe that was it.
The update ranges from 700ish MB to 800ish MB so if it was about that size, that could be it.

JWong

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
No Cataclysm for me tonight.

Ordered 2 Ce's one from amazon, one from play. Play shipped Saturday, Amazon sunday morning. Neither arrived today, may not even arrive tomorrow considering how bad the weather is.

Europe doesn't do early in the week launches. Fuck grr.
Yeah, Amazon.com shipment is screwed. My GT5 CE suppose to be here today, but it's been stuck in New Jersey for 2 weeks without any change in transit.

Good thing I switched my preorder from Amazon.ca to Futureshop.ca. Futureshop gave me a release day morning shipment for SC2. Now it looks like they're on target with Cata.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kweh said:
make sure you change to CT in BOTH wtf files (launcher.wtf AND config.wtf). I changed just launcher and it gave me an error checking for updates.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My Cataclysm Collector's Edition arrived at my house today right as I was leaving for work :D

Too bad I didn't have a chance to look at it :S

I'm a little worried that my CE on Amazon shows as "Release-Date Delivery" but the status still says "shipping soon".

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

trying to redeem my game time but the site keeps on giving me errors :lol :lol

i'll buy the upgrade later, ill just start a Troll tank druid.

LaserBuddha said:
I'm a little worried that my CE on Amazon shows as "Release-Date Delivery" but the status still says "shipping soon".

The fact that it says shipping soon means it's not part of the delayed shipments. You should take that as a good sign that it will come on time. You'd be surprised how quickly they can get orders out when they want to :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So with all of the old world lore making lots of mention in quest and progression about hwo the Lich King is dead, what happens when the player levels up and enters Northrend? Did Blizzard do anything to alter the progression and story in that zone to account for Cataclysm?

It would just be weird for a player to go through the plot of Silverpine and see all of the Sylvanas quests(Wrathgate happened already/Lich King is long dead) play out only to enter Northrend hours later and feel completely taken out of the progression by doing all that stuff mentioned as being in the past.

ultron87

LaserBuddha said:

They almost never show as "Shipped" until late afternoon/early evening the day before for Release Date Delivery. I wouldn't worry about it.

Your only real concern is that sometimes they require a signature for delivery. I've had to run to a UPS distribution center a couple times to get a game that was on Release Date Delivery. But then other times they just leave it on the porch. So I dunno.

Edit: @Yaweee below post:

If you get it at Amazon you get a $10 credit towards a future game.

Yaweee

Any US stores having sales this week? Don't know whether I should just get the online version or not.

EDIT: Thanks, but I was hoping a physical chain would have a sale, or does Amazon send the key in an email? I don't want to have to wait for the package, especially since actually getting the packages tends to be a pain in the ass for me due to my work schedule and living alone.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Brandon F said:
So with all of the old world lore making lots of mention in quest and progression about hwo the Lich King is dead, what happens when the player levels up and enters Northrend? Did Blizzard do anything to alter the progression and story in that zone to account for Cataclysm?

It would just be weird for a player to go through the plot of Silverpine and see all of the Sylvanas quests(Wrathgate happened already/Lich King is long dead) play out only to enter Northrend hours later and feel completely taken out of the progression by doing all that stuff mentioned as being in the past.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Goblin/Worgen/DeathKnight starting areas, BC zones, WOTLK zones, and Caverns of Time are all different times lines from new 1-60 and 80-85 content.

DeathNote said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Goblin/Worgen/DeathKnight starting areas, BC zones, WOTLK zones, and Caverns of Time are all different times lines from new 1-60 and 80-85 content.
Yep. I don't know how anyone could keep track of the story. I come for the gameplay.

ultron87

Well in Dalaran you can now see a monument to the heroes who defeated the Lich King, and watch the cutscene that shows the new Lich King. So at least Dalaran is still moving forward in time, even though a million quests in Northrend reference the threat of Arthas.

Yaweee

DeathNote said:

Basically, the timeline is unavoidably screwy, whereas before it was most-likely to be screwy, but kind of avoidable.

You used to be able to do quests out of order, and probably did, making the timeline fucked up.

Now that kind of fucked up is hard-coded in to the game.

DeathNote said:

Yes. That's why there can still be DKs being created by the Lich King - these events have a timeline.

ultron87

They should just drop Chromie at the Hellfire Peninsula side of the Dark Portal and at each initial Northrend Landing. She can just say "Holy crap you're in the past!" and be done with it.

Edit: Or put a nice big Flux Capacitor on the Northrend boats.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
10-60 of all races - the present
1-10 of the four newest races - the past
1-10 of the other races - the present
60-70 - the past
70-80 (except Dalaran) - the past
80-85 - the present

So if you level a Dranei, you go past-present-past-past-present. I don't expect this to make sense ever

i cant add game time AND i can't log in :/

v4EO9.jpg

Wow, I tried to login on battle.net and:

"Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Niiiice. I'm going to step over my shame and go to a midnight opening (small gameshop, expect only 10 people so it won't be that bad) because my dad has no problem driving me back and forth (beats going after classes tomorrow), but I better be able to register Cata tonight...

Edit: Ah, new screen, they took the community sites down. But when I try to login on battle.net it just says that the service isn't available :s

ultron87

*looks at above picture*

Wait, are there actually free moves off Ravencrest right now? I could get my 80 to a possibly better server.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dave is ok said:
60-70 - the past
80-85 - the present

So if you level a Dranei, you go past-present-past-past-present. I don't expect this to make sense ever
Races get interesting too. If your Gnome is a few months old it was X lore and if you make one today it's a Gnomeregan Exile?

webrunner

I imagine it's something like:

Vanilla
Worgen Start
Burning Crusade incl Belf/Draenai start
Death Knight Start
WOTLK
Goblin Start
Shattering
Cataclysm

I put Worgen Start after Vanilla because of the Scythe, and I put the DK start after BC and vanilla due to the way it involves the creation of the Argent Crusade which didnt exist before.

Goblins can't be TOO far before cata, at least in terms of when it ends, i assume.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
dave is ok said:
60-70 - the past
80-85 - the present

It's just going to be so damn awkward going to Northrend on that boat without any explanation as to why you are suddenly in the past. It would be a lot of work to merge the timelines, especially for Lich King which is not that old, but given how hardcore the new questing is about putting the player in a new timeline it's a real bummer.

Yaweee

Brandon F said:
It's just going to be so damn awkward going to Northrend on that boat without any explanation as to why you are suddenly in the past. It would be a lot of work to merge the timelines, especially for Lich King which is not that old, but given how hardcore the new questing is about putting the player in a new timeline it's a real bummer.

The bigger problem is how much Outlands just fucking sucks. Less exp per quest, more exp needed per level, instances that don't have quest givers inside the instance, and generally worse quest-design, layout, and drop rates compared to the later Old World revised zones.

Atrophis

For those in the UK I just picked up a copy of Cata for £22.96 from Tesco. Couldnt believe my luck when i saw them on the shelves but was sure they were going to deny my at the till. But no!

I managed to add the key to my account just now before bnet went down but didnt get to add game time. Want to play!

Hmm does anyone know what servers can you transfer Ravencrest characters to?

itxaka

Defeatist
I can't believe it. Tomorrow is holidays almost in all spain so there is already hundreds of idiots ready to fuck up the launch.

Where the guy with the flying path is supposed to be for cata there is around 50 people on mounts so you can't click him. Also general spamming every half a second.

First expansion launch I can enjoy and it's gonna be horrible. I think I will open a new character on french servers or something like that ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom