• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I must say that I'm really enjoying the game after the big changes. I am pretty noobie, put in effort until L12 in the old game. I'm not sure if it's just me but I find the gameplay loop now much better. New quests are easily available, they don't require extensive walking and multiple quests are often nicely packed into one area. This keeps the game flowing all the time, just lost some three hours and got up to L16.

FLEABttn

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Who honestly loved 40 man raids and resist set (hello Maraudon Noxxon trinket for Huhu) farming?

There is a small but dedicated and vocal group who liked games that required that kind of dedication, separate the men from the boys, makes things more "meaningful" when you overcome fights that require that level of dedication/tedium, they love the management aspect of the 40 man raids, possibly loved the management aspect of the 72 man EQ1 raids.

I used to know a couple of guys like that, and their tone changed after one ruined their GPA in college and dropped out (and quit WoW as a result; though while he did play WoW, he was looking forward to Vanguard because vanilla WoW for him was too casual), and the other got a job and no longer had the time for a game like that (this one looks back on vanilla with much fondness but has a new found appreciation for the direction the game took).

If there's ever another game made with that audience in mind (and most importantly, with the polish of WoW), it won't be out for a while. SWTOR, Rift, and GW2 won't be those games, and TERA probably won't be either.

Spookie

mclem said:
I ordered from ShopTo, and they dispatched it on Friday. Arrived today. I am happy.

Same I did upgrade to TNT next day just to be sure though. It was that or digital delivery. With the weather outside and Royal Mails laxidasical approach to delivery I though: FUCK THAT SHIT.

So key entered and race change ready. I'm now prepared for 11pm. I won't be prepared for the server crashes no doubt due to arrive MOMENTS after I pick the look of my goblin. :lol

Found this thread the other night:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1207761576?page=1#9

Well they took the time to respond and:

30rv18x.jpg

WAT

fm41mr.jpg

....my guess is this won't resolve itself till after Cata.
Or, they want people to leave their launchers open to help transfer Cata files to others and are doing a dirty trick...

Flib

Bashiok (on the Blizzard community people) announced about a week ago that he checked with the tech team, and that "Applying Critical Updates" means the game is either defragmenting itself or converting the sound files into a different format (some kind of decompression).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've seen this "applying non critical updates" for a while when i launch the launcher. I just ignore it and continue playing since it has no effect whatsoever on my gameplay.

Kall201

Aesthet1c said:
These questions are very broad, but I'll give it a shot.

Blood elves start on their own island that is in Azeroth and not in Outlands. They do require the Burning Crusade expansion to play as them. Each other race will start in their own respective zones, and which race to play is entirely personal preference.

I can't answer if you will enjoy all the expansions, however they are all enjoyable. :D

The Lamonster said:
Research all the classes and find which play style suits you the best. After that, look at the racial abilities of each race and match them with your chosen class again to see which will fit your play style. Every class/race is fun, it's all based on your personal preference. If you don't have BC, you won't be able to choose the Blood Elf or Draenei races.

Thanks guys!
And yes, sorry, next time I'll try to be more precise.

Kall201 said:
Thanks guys!
And yes, sorry, next time I'll try to be more precise.
Sure...any more questions about specific classes or races go ahead and ask. I'm bored here at work and want to talk about WoW :lol

RPGCrazied

Bisnic said:
I've seen this "applying non critical updates" for a while when i launch the launcher. I just ignore it and continue playing since it has no effect whatsoever on my gameplay.

Ugh. I see this every other time I launch the launcher.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So I log in to my WOW account for the first time in over a year today, and I find out someone started using a stolen credit card on my account, no less than 3 days ago! Fucked up shit man. I pretty much immediately changed my password and sent an e-mail to billing.

What a way fuck up my Cata plans.

Shit is scary, for real.

ultron87

Every story I hear like that gets me slightly closer to getting the mobile Authenticator app.

Is it that annoying to use/increase your log in time by a large degree?

FLEABttn

Banned
ultron87 said:
Every story I hear like that gets me slightly closer to getting the mobile Authenticator app.

The app might be, as you have to pull out your phone and start it up each time, but I don't find the physical authenticator to be annoying unless I have to travel.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ultron87 said:
No it's not annoying one single bit. It makes you feel secure.

LowParry

ultron87 said:

It takes mere seconds to add 6 numbers along with your password. It's not a hassle. It's a life saver to your account.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
sprsk said:
So I log in to my WOW account for the first time in over a year today, and I find out someone started using a stolen credit card on my account, no less than 3 days ago! Fucked up shit man. I pretty much immediately changed my password and sent an e-mail to billing.

What a way fuck up my Cata plans.

Shit is scary, for real.
Get an authenticator.

ultron87 said:

Not annoying at all. Get one ASAP.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Last hours until Cata... I'm just sitting here, relaxing, listening to music and breathing amazing air.

Amazing.

Flib

RPGCrazied said:
yay.png

YESS! I was afraid, I'd get some email saying they couldn't fulfill their orders, like the BC CE. So. Hyped.

I'm in the same boat, I was worried because I ordered in mid-november when it seemed like they got more stock in.

I'm shipping soon though, so I'm pumped!

No Cata for me until probably 6 a.m. tomorrow (I know what I'll do if I stay up tonight). I'll probably create my Worgen Priest, take him/her out for a spin, and wonder why I bothered waking up early for work if I was gonna roll in at 9 anyways!

About the non-critical updates thing, I left my updater window open after last night's session. It was done doing what it was doing before I went to bed. Half hour maybe?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DeathNote said:
Get an authenticator.

Done. Don't have to tell me twice!

My account info must have gotten taken a long time ago, cause I've never had my account hacked before and I haven't logged in in over a year.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
FLEABttn said:
If there's ever another game made with that audience in mind (and most importantly, with the polish of WoW), it won't be out for a while. SWTOR, Rift, and GW2 won't be those games, and TERA probably won't be either.
It won't happen, ever. The exclusivity was based on bad..... no... "immature" game design. an at the time youngish genre that was still cutting its teeth. Same thing goes back to PKing and UO. The good times these players remember they had IN SPITE of the poor game design, not because of it. Hence rose tinted glasses. Like I said earlier, I had a blast back then, but it was because of the stories from the guild. It was never "man, the first time domo went down my jaw dropped it was so incredible". No, it was "omg, that was such chaos and we finally freaking hit it just and went out for drinks after!!" The raid design was awful, but the times we had were fun. The "vanilla-wow was great" crowd can't seem to distinguish the two.

Flib said:
I'm in the same boat, I was worried because I ordered in mid-november when it seemed like they got more stock in.

I'm shipping soon though, so I'm pumped!
ordered the day it went on sale. why the hell wouldn't you? Game CE's you can usually decide at launch if you want to pick up. Blizzard CE's? LOL. Order them from Amazon the minute they're available.

P.S. I am guessing there's going to be a CE for Diablo III ;)

Lenardo

Banned
i'm not rushing at all for cata, the wife is starting a female worgen druid, and i'll be ...something not sure what yet. maybe a mage, probably a rogue, maybe a druid unfortunately worgen cannot be shaman (my fav class- been a shaman exclusively since they implemented the class ) but first we are going to level our main's to 85, since the servers do not unlock til 3am my time, no need to rush to get the copies. will nab them on lunch break tomorrow.

i'll make my new char, level him some, then park him in an inn to get rested exp built up while leveling my main.

my son(9) is going to make a new char as well.

Flib

borghe said:
It won't happen, ever. The exclusivity was based on bad..... no... "immature" game design. an at the time youngish genre that was still cutting its teeth. Same thing goes back to PKing and UO. The good times these players remember they had IN SPITE of the poor game design, not because of it. Hence rose tinted glasses. Like I said earlier, I had a blast back then, but it was because of the stories from the guild. It was never "man, the first time domo went down my jaw dropped it was so incredible". No, it was "omg, that was such chaos and we finally freaking hit it just and went out for drinks after!!" The raid design was awful, but the times we had were fun. The "vanilla-wow was great" crowd can't seem to distinguish the two.

ordered the day it went on sale. why the hell wouldn't you? Game CE's you can usually decide at launch if you want to pick up. Blizzard CE's? LOL. Order them from Amazon the minute they're available.

P.S. I am guessing there's going to be a CE for Diablo III ;)

I don't usually buy CE's, and I was going to go digital. When I saw them on sale again I just randomly impulse bought it. It's coming tomorrow, so I'm all set.

Don't even talk about a Diablo 3 CE. Too much awesome to think about right now.

borghe said:

Now the opposite reigns. It's wierd.

FLEABttn

Banned
borghe said:

There have been attempts at the old school UO design but with fairly awful results (aside from EvE). Someone might try an EQ1/vanilla WoW hybrid at some point in the future, but it's going to be a low budget, probably low polish affair.

I'm curious to see where the genre goes, because while Cata seems awesome, we won't likely know its immaturity as much until we get something better. Maturity in the genre so far has been based on closing/removing the gap between the wolf and sheep (UO) and the have and have-nots (EQ1, WoW through TBC), and minimizing/reducing the "my fun comes at the expense of your fun". Where will we go next? Better/more fun healing? No healing? Something I can't even think of?

Zozobra

I've seen quite a few people comment on how quick it is to level 1 - 60'ish these days - I'm not sure what exactly that's attributed to, but has there been any adjustments on the stretch from 60 - 80?

funkmastergeneral said:
A deviation from the holy trinity of tank + healer + DPS would be a welcome change
I'm really just hoping for a new Hero Class in the next expansion:

Pandaren Monk

brewmaster.jpg

...with their own large island that is full of lush wooded mountains and flowing streams :)

ultron87

funkmastergeneral said:
A deviation from the holy trinity of tank + healer + DPS would be a welcome change

I don't think that is really possible with the way WoW/the RPG genre is designed.

FLEABttn

Banned
Zozobra said:
I've seen quite a few people comment on how quick it is to level 1 - 60'ish these days - I'm not sure what exactly that's attributed to, but has there been any adjustments on the stretch from 60 - 80?

60-70 hasn't changed since the last reduction around WotLK's release. 70-80 required XP was recently cut by 20%.

ultron87 said:
Authenticator set up. Thanks guys. Don't know why I was dragging my feet about it for so long.

The only thing I hate about the Authenticator makes perfect sense, but is irksome anyways. I don't carry my Authenticator around, it's just, yeah, no.

So, I can't access either of my games (SC2 and WoW) from outside of my house. Makes sense, but is really annoying when doing things like cancelling my Amazon CE pre-order to take advantage of the 50% sale a couple weeks back.

That, and I keep forgetting that it applies to SC2 too.

borghe

Zozobra said:
officially? yes, 60-70 has officially been adjusted as well. 70-80 has not been touched (at least that's ever been publicly announced that I'm aware of), but 70-80 through random dungeon finder essentially equates to a few (couple?) weeks of casual play.

the biggest adjustment that I know of for 70-80 is that cold weather flying is now 500g and available at 68 for everyone, not just gifted to your alts from an 80 main.

edit - doh, apparently 70-80 has been publicly changed. so a 20% reduction and cold weather flying for everyone now at 68.

Struct09

sprsk said:
Done. Don't have to tell me twice!

My account info must have gotten taken a long time ago, cause I've never had my account hacked before and I haven't logged in in over a year.

I had the same problem, someone even re-activated my account with a friend referral bonus. Luckily Blizzard was awesome about it, and restored my account to its state before it was hacked.

Kraftwerk

Zozobra said:
!-60 is much, much more fun and easier now. 60 -70 is pretty much the same i would say. Once you get to northrend it will be a breeze imo., since they reduced the xp needed from 70-80 by 20%. Might not sound like A LOT but it is. Before 79-80 used to be 1.8 million xp but now it is 1.3 million.

EDIT: also forgot to mention, since you get flying mount at 60 now it makes things go soooooo much faster.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
KibblesBits said:
Found this thread the other night:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1207761576?page=1#9

Well they took the time to respond and:

30rv18x.jpg

WAT

fm41mr.jpg

....my guess is this won't resolve itself till after Cata.
Or, they want people to leave their launchers open to help transfer Cata files to others and are doing a dirty trick...
Are you upgraded to Cata? In your WTF folder what does it say in quotations beside SET accounttype in config.wtf and launcher.wtf?

borghe

Kraftwerk said:
!-60 is much, much more fun and easier now. 60 -70 is pretty much the same i would say. Once you get to northrend it will be a breeze imo., since they reduced the xp needed from 70-80 by 20%. Might not sound like A LOT but it is. Before 79-80 used to be 1.8 million xp but now it is 1.3 million.
you are mostly spending your time in dungeon finder from 60-80 (or at least should be) so xp at those levels becomes mostly meaningless anyway. unfortunately I missed the vast majority of WotLK content on my first main to hit 70-80 (recently) because I just dungeon finder'ed through those levels in probably 2 weeks.

kilongs

Fuck, I am so tempted to come back for this. It was hard enough with my friends telling me to come back; now my co-workers are buggin me too.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
funkmastergeneral said:
id be really surprised if Blizzard did something like this. That "holy trinity" has kind of been the staple of combat in rpgs since D&D. Personally i would love a lootless mmorpg based around social skills and political intrigue but seeing as how people love their gear and killing things i doubt thats going to happen.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
water_wendi said:
id be really surprised if Blizzard did something like this. That "holy trinity" has kind of been the staple of combat in rpgs since D&D. Personally i would love a lootless mmorpg based around social skills and political intrigue but seeing as how people love their gear and killing things i doubt thats going to happen.
A tank doesn't make sense IMO. There are 9 other people and the boss attacks X 90% of the time because of "threat".

Flib

Unfortunately, the rigidity of that design is what allows for them to create raid encounters which are a million times more interesting than other MMOs.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DeathNote said:
A tank doesn't make sense IMO. There are 9 other people and the boss attacks X 90% of the time because of "threat".
Threat mechanics are different than having a tank, damage, and healer roles. Threat is just a substitute for human control of enemies.

If there was no threat list any decently intelligent mob would always go for healers first. Of course, it could make for a pretty interesting game where the "tanks" just find ways to slow down the mob or physically intervene.

DeathNote said:
Are you upgraded to Cata? In your WTF folder what does it say in quotations beside SET accounttype in config.wtf and launcher.wtf?

Right now it's "LK" because I haven't done anything with Cata and may not for a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom