• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft for ALL!!! (sorta)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Right there with you teepo...

I played AC from Beta up to last year when it just grew tiresome with the never ending level machine and 3rd Party application raping of the world. But ah, the early years of exploring and discovering...before macroing made the game move forward at light speed because people leveled too fast and got bored.

WoW looks so much like the itch I've been needing to scratch, but a lot of stuff is still in question. Can't wait for open beta :)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Please start stress test... please... C'mon Blizzard, I know you hate me... but throw me a bone. ;_;

firex

There's only 3 times when you get a loading screen in WOW:
1) Logging on with a character (obvious)
2) Switching continents from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms
3) Entering an instanced dungeon

That said, you can definitely tell where one "zone" ends and another starts... not that there's loading, just that the terrain changes are a bit abrupt in most places. As far as exploring goes, well, they don't have everything opened up in the beta yet (and they aren't going to unlock every area, either) but you can explore to your heart's content as long as you can avoid roaming monsters. Sticking to roads doesn't really let you explore every are but it keeps you generally free of any roaming guys. Also the map system in the game rewards exploring; the map for an area is completely fogged out until you explore enough to "discover" areas (which also gives you an exp bonus relative to your level and the level of the area), at which point they're lit up and you can mouse over them on the map screen. There's no way to buy maps for an area, either, but most quests will give you an idea of the direction to head in.

As far as terrain you can explore goes, you can walk on almost any ground surface, including stuff like lava (you just take damage while walking on it, which actually needs to be scaled up so it's more impressive), but it's hard to climb a lot of mountains, and you can't scale every cliff you see. Water travel is different. You can't swim out too far; if you're far enough away from land (actually determined by how far down in the water you'd have to go to touch ground) you get "fatigued" and die, so it's virtually impossible to swim across most seas, much less the ocean dividing the 2 continents. You can, however, jump off the boats and zeppelins that travel between the continents to explore areas you couldn't reach by swimming... although as far as I've seen there's nothing really there yet (I'm personally hoping they make Pandaria available this way). Also the retail version of the game isn't going to have the Northrend continent of the Warcraft world, and likely won't have any other worlds like Outland beyond the 2 main continents. The 2 continents in-game now are huge, though... I've been all over the world in WOW (at least the parts that aren't locked off) and it feels massive, even with spells that can let me transport from anywhere to my "home" spot or mounts that increase movement speed by 60%.

I'm big on exploring, and while WOW isn't heavy on exploration, I think what they have is enough to make it personally satisfying even if it isn't going to be that game changing for other people.

Bobety

oh for FUCKS SAKE!!! my fucking download stopped!! damn you fileplanet!!! ARGH!!...
it stopped halfway through with a message saying like the cache did not match the file, please delete the file and start the download again... whenever i try to resume it just says like download failed to start... has anyone else had this problem?? Im afraid to start it all over again because i have no idea if it will happen again with this retarded download manager. is there any way to download off fileplanet the old fashioned way? it automatically starts the download manager for me

Edit- or could someone please post a direct link to the client on fileplanet so i can use getright to download it? I cant get to the actual download page as it redirects me to the subscribe page...so ive been just modifying the link to other things on fileplanet and its let me download the client through the download manager... all i need is one of the download links to the client, any server would do (preffereably australian server).. please i really need this!!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
firex said:
There's only 3 times when you get a loading screen in WOW:
1) Logging on with a character (obvious)
2) Switching continents from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms
3) Entering an instanced dungeon

That said, you can definitely tell where one "zone" ends and another starts... not that there's loading, just that the terrain changes are a bit abrupt in most places. As far as exploring goes, well, they don't have everything opened up in the beta yet (and they aren't going to unlock every area, either) but you can explore to your heart's content as long as you can avoid roaming monsters. Sticking to roads doesn't really let you explore every are but it keeps you generally free of any roaming guys. Also the map system in the game rewards exploring; the map for an area is completely fogged out until you explore enough to "discover" areas (which also gives you an exp bonus relative to your level and the level of the area), at which point they're lit up and you can mouse over them on the map screen. There's no way to buy maps for an area, either, but most quests will give you an idea of the direction to head in.

As far as terrain you can explore goes, you can walk on almost any ground surface, including stuff like lava (you just take damage while walking on it, which actually needs to be scaled up so it's more impressive), but it's hard to climb a lot of mountains, and you can't scale every cliff you see. Water travel is different. You can't swim out too far; if you're far enough away from land (actually determined by how far down in the water you'd have to go to touch ground) you get "fatigued" and die, so it's virtually impossible to swim across most seas, much less the ocean dividing the 2 continents. You can, however, jump off the boats and zeppelins that travel between the continents to explore areas you couldn't reach by swimming... although as far as I've seen there's nothing really there yet (I'm personally hoping they make Pandaria available this way). Also the retail version of the game isn't going to have the Northrend continent of the Warcraft world, and likely won't have any other worlds like Outland beyond the 2 main continents. The 2 continents in-game now are huge, though... I've been all over the world in WOW (at least the parts that aren't locked off) and it feels massive, even with spells that can let me transport from anywhere to my "home" spot or mounts that increase movement speed by 60%.

I'm big on exploring, and while WOW isn't heavy on exploration, I think what they have is enough to make it personally satisfying even if it isn't going to be that game changing for other people.
Thanks! That relieves a lot of worries I was having.

Have you ever been in Asheron's Call? For comparing the size of both worlds that is...

In AC I could run from one end of the main continent to the next end accross the greatest distance and it would take me about 45-60 minutes depending on my run skill (speed)

Sound similar?

It would take longer to run north->south in Azeroth (if you could, there are lots of mountains in the way). However, the gryphons (town->town) shorten most of the travelling times. And there are mounts, teleports (for mages), summons (for warlocks), etc, as well as the almighty hearthstone that lets you return to your current chosen home town once every 60 minutes. Still people complain that it takes too long to travel around.

I really enjoy running around since the areas look so great, but I have to admit that the mount makes it even more enjoyable :).

Oh, and the mountains are supposed to enclose every area, but there are always glitches and places where they aren't steep enough. People have managed to climb the mountains between Dun Morogh and Wetlands, and it's really easy to cross into Stranglethorn Vale from Duskwood (but then again there is a regular road there too). Today I found a way into the southern mountains of Badlands (lvl 35-45) and jumped down into Burning Steppes (lvl 55+)... had lots of fun running from dragons, giant wolves and other assorted badguys.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Man I neeeed to play this damn game already.

Current Stress Test Status : Free signups are done, they are closing out the "subscriber" ones and then the test will start shortly after.

Hoping for tomorrow. :D

Bobety

Gattsu25 said:
USE FIREFOX TO DOWNLOAD

it doesn't use that bullshit download manager fileplanet tries to give you

That's the problem, i can't NOT use the download manager unless someone hooks me up with a direct link to the client on fileplanet (because i cant get to the download page for some reason).. so could someone PLEASE give me the link?! i have no other way of downloading it and the beta will start soon!!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
How come you can't NOT use the DL manager?

I dl stuff at work and a window pops up and says "you need DL manager for this and it is not installed" but there is a link in that message to DL it normally.

Bobety

Mr Pockets said:
How come you can't NOT use the DL manager?

I dl stuff at work and a window pops up and says "you need DL manager for this and it is not installed" but there is a link in that message to DL it normally.

Well what i've been doing is copying the link to another file on fileplanet (gta SA trailer) and replacing the first few numbers of the link with 144890 (the WoW client file no.) and it brings up the download manager and downloads the WoW client. BUT, if i try this WITHOUT the manager installed, or try to copy the same link into getright, it starts downloading the GTA SA trailer instead... this would all be ok if i could just get to the download page (server select) for the WoW client but if i goto the page it redirects me to the stress test signup page. Basically i just need someone to goto the page and copy a download link to the client and paste it here..thats all... until then i cant get the client at all.

Nester

I signed up the day that the public sign ups were available, but was told that I was on a waiting list for a key and to watch my email. Never received one, so I registered this morning before work with my gmail address. Was given a key right away with a link to download and an e-mail confirming everything. Now that it's closed I'm sure glad I re-registered.

Bobety

Come on... can't anyone post the link to the client? Anyone who's got the email with the key just has to copy the link from that email and post it here...please?? im desperate, and out of options!

Edit- sorry i didnt mean a link to the download page, but one of the download links ON the download page...

So the beta stress test starts tomorrow? Anybody have any suggestions on what the best race to be is for ranger type characters?

Bobety

Is the druid class worth trying? Apparently hunters aren't very good yet because it's one of the newer classes and isnt quite finished

I think since its such a short period of time I might just play a warrior - should be easy to run out and kill shit at low levels, since there won't be time to level really.

Bobety

I'm thinking because there wont be much time to experiment with classes ill just make a warrior and a mage to get a feel for both magic and melee

AeroGod

im just going to create a bunch of character to try them all out. Im hoping the servers wont be laggy and crash alot, but eh probably not. Its a stress test after all.

Im either going Mage or Priest. Probably night Elf or Undead.

Zilch

Banned
Yeah, someone should make a get-together thread in the Online forum tomorrow so we can group together or something.

If i'm lucky enough to get some decent playtime, i'm probably going to avoid the race/class combo i'm going w/ in retail.

Gnome/Mage FTW!!

If i can get 5 hours played in-game for the whole week, that would be enough to satisfy me. The Fileplanet subscription has practically paid for itself already (TribesV).

AeroGod

Cheez change your avatar OMFG thats getting annoying staring at it for 8 hours a day. What the hell is that thing anyway.

:p

Wooo for beta anyways!!! Hopefully we get at least a few hours in amidst all the lag.

firex

Mr Pockets said:
Thanks! That relieves a lot of worries I was having.

Have you ever been in Asheron's Call? For comparing the size of both worlds that is...

In AC I could run from one end of the main continent to the next end accross the greatest distance and it would take me about 45-60 minutes depending on my run skill (speed)

Sound similar?

Wow, it'd probably take me like 3 hours to cross the entire world, maybe less. I haven't played AC, but I'd say for sure the world is a lot bigger than that if it only takes 45-60 minutes to go all over. Although WOW's world is not all open yet. I haven't tried it, so I can't say exactly... but it's at LEAST a good hour or more for each continent. I should try going across the eastern continent from Booty Bay to the Undercity, since that's about as close to a run from the farthest south to the farthest north that I could do on a single continent. I actually bet that would take over 2 hours walking nonstop. Mounted it'd probably take at least an hour.

Truthfully, you're making me realize the world of WOW is bigger than it feels, mostly due to them making travel easy, but not lose the massive sense of scale.

Hmm, thinking about it, there are a couple of long flights that aren't from one end of a continent to another, but going from Orgrimmar (northeast Kalimdor, but not the farthest northeast you can go) to Gadgetzan (the farthest south you can currently go, but it's on the northern end of a southern "zone") takes somewhere between 10-15 minutes by flight, and that's several times faster than a mount (which is 60% faster than walking).

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
AeroGod said:
Cheez change your avatar OMFG thats getting annoying staring at it for 8 hours a day. What the hell is that thing anyway.

:lol It's mesmerizing, isn't it?

calder

Wooot! In time for the long weekend! When will my wife get incredibly angry at me for hogging the comp? The smart money's on Saturday, noonish. We should definitely have some GA meetups depending on how the servers/worlds or whatever they call it works.

Hey guys, I got into the public beta via fileplanet and downloaded the client.

Have they advanced the program any? My email has been down for the past two days and anything sent to it was lost. Have they sent any more email regarding how to create an account or anything?

What I'm asking basically is, do I need an email they recently sent to get my account? I have my key already.

Grey Fox

Well,it starts at 12 noon PST,and then they'll send out e-mails that tells where to create a account.I'm sure someone can post the URL for you.

Grey Fox said:
Well,it starts at 12 noon PST,and then they'll send out e-mails that tells where to create a account.I'm sure someone can post the URL for you.

Oh that's not a problem, my email is back up and running.

What is a problem is that Blizzard's DNS changed. I can get to most of their sites but www.worldofwarcraft.com hasn't refreshed for me yet and takes me to Blizzard's "Our DNS has Changed" website. That site has a list of IPs for Blizzard sites so you can access them. The problem is, they didn't list the IP for www.worldofwarcraft.com, which I assume I will need to visit to create my account once we can do that. Can anybody post the IP of www.worldofwarcraft.com for those of us who aren't seeing the new DNS yet?

hiryu

Just so you guys know the Druid, Hunter, and Warlock are probably the least finished classes atm and in the need of the most work. Warriors, Mages, Rogues, and Priest have their talents and the rest of the classes do not. Right now the alliance side has more quest than the horde side. Have fun.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Uh, this stress test is signifying that the game's coming out soon, isn't it? Is it in any shape to be released, according to that?

IJoel

EviLore said:
Uh, this stress test is signifying that the game's coming out soon, isn't it? Is it in any shape to be released, according to that?

This is Blizzard, so put down the hopes.

:p

It's a good sign though, and interestingly, check the message they put on their webpage:

Blizzard said:
The World of Warcraft stress test beta is just a day away. Hundreds of thousands of gamers applied for the stress test this past week, and FilePlanet was up to the task, issuing over 100,000 accounts and providing the stress test beta client for download. With the signups and downloads complete, we are just about ready to welcome these gamers into World of Warcraft for the very first time.
Starting tomorrow, September 2nd at 12:00 noon PDT, stress test beta participants will be able to create their World of Warcraft accounts and begin playing the game. Their participation will help us optimize our account-creation and server infrastructure, and enable us to deliver the best online experience possible when the game launches later this year. We want to thank everyone who applied for the stress test beta, and we look forward to seeing the new testers online tomorrow when the stress test beta starts.

Selected stress test beta participants should keep an eye on their inboxes for an email containing further instructions. For more information on the World of Warcraft stress test beta, please check out our FAQ. To get a head start on learning how to play World of Warcraft, take a look at our beta strategy guide.

Grey Fox

I'm really starting to hate PST and their 3 hours behind asses.At 12pm PST I will have been up for 18 hours waiting for this crap.

Top Bottom