• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft for ALL!!! (sorta)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
llol, everyone's just going around killing boars. I have no idea what to do. A boar almost killed me.

neptunes

the server and my name is neptunez

I'm in that cathedral type building, upstairs were the mage trainer is.

it's not populated at the place where I am so find me quick.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Got a Troll Hunter named Mudora and a Tauren Warrior named Wispin. =) Will probably be playing Mudora the most with my friends.

if you know another character's name, just /invite [char name] to group, regardless of where they are, and then they'll show up on the minimap. But if you're different races, you'll need to level up a bit before you can travel and meet up.

MrCheez

Don't forget to take screenshots, peeps. =) I want to see some cool screens of everyone's chars by the end of the day ;)

MrCheez

I'm kind of underwhelmed with char creation... but that's no big. The environments are beautiful.

Also, there is no lag despite the fact that 10,000 people are running around in my starting town. O_O

I'm going to hate to see Booty Bay and IronForge with all these people on board. If it isn't an instanced quest I wouldn't even try it at peak hours.

neptunes

wownep.JPG

here's my character, Mazre is still completing quests.

Shitty pc = shitty rez

Zilch

Banned
My characters on Norgannon:

Nibbles - lv.3 undead female rogue
NormaJean - lv.1 human female warlock

Screenshots forthcoming...

Fixed2BeBroken said:
ROFL!

i think i saw you yell that and I yelled it too.

hahahaha

so Can someone please tell us how to fricken talk in General?

Just /1 in the command window, and it will pop you into general chat for the area you are in. Also in the large towns, /2 is the trade channel. But trade channel is restricted to some of the towns.

Upper_Management said:
Just /1 in the command window, and it will pop you into general chat for the area you are in. Also in the large towns, /2 is the trade channel. But trade channel is restricted to some of the towns.

What if you did /leave 1 and thus you no longer have a 1. chat room?

Son of Godzilla said:
What if you did /leave 1 and thus you no longer have a 1. chat room?

If you did that, then you no longer will get general chat. The only other items to show in that window would be /tells, /party, /guild, and items that drop off of monsters. I hope that helps. You can always /join 1 again if you need to.

calder

Woot! Sign up was fast and amazingly trouble free. About to log on for the first time... I guess Norgannon is the place to be.

calder

I'm Whiskeyjack, a Night Elf hunter in whatever the hell that cliched elf tree city is called. I think it has shadow in the name, to the surprise of nobody, and I think it's on the island to the north of the main continent. Why am I a chick? I literally just forgot to click back on male when before I hit create. :\

WoWScrnShot_090204_180739.gif

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
WOW its name and my reaction, this game beats FFXI at everything.

Dieing isn't long an painful. Graveyards are like 10 secs away.
The environment is beautful, and great sound. Awesome art.
The draw distance isn't cut off cheaply, even when there's like 100 people on the screen.
Most of all, it's freakin fun.

*cancels FFXI account*

Gattsu25

Banned
teh_pwn said:
WOW its name and my reaction, this game beats FFXI at everything.

Dieing isn't long an painful. Graveyards are like 10 secs away.
The environment is beautful, and great sound. Awesome art.
The draw distance isn't cut off cheaply, even when there's like 100 people on the screen.
Most of all, it's freakin fun.

*cancels FFXI account*

why is it most of the rabid WoW fans are the same bitter people who sucked ass during FFXI?

MrCheez

Gattsu25 said:
why is it most of the rabid WoW fans are the same bitter people who sucked ass during FFXI?

Um... his post is comparing a game he's trying out to a game he used to play. So now he suddenly is bitter and sucked at FFXI?

Honestly, his post is completely devoid of any negative or aggressive attitude. What the hell is your problem?

calder

Oh damn I love this so far. Runs great on my mediocre comp, high res is ok if nothing special graphics wise, but some nice effects and NO slowdown at all. A bit of popup, more noticable in the snowy mountains where my gnome is.

No lag, at all, that I've seen. Hundreds of players running around, usually you can see dozens of ppl in front of you in more populated areas, and very few are lagging noticably.

I've stopped playing the night elf and decided to to a Gnome Mage. Great fun, lvl 4 now. :D

hiryu

Just some helpful info. Orcs, Tauren, and Trolls all start close to each other and you should be able to meet up around lvl 10 if not sooner. Trolls and Orcs and Dwarves and Gnomes actually start in the exact same areas. The same goes for Dwarves, Gnomes, and Humans. Night elves and Undead start a little farther away but should be able to meet up soon after with either a zepellin, boat, or griffon ride. Always be on the look out for more quest. That is where the real fun lies. Around lvl 20 you should be able to find some instanced zone quest. Dont' be afraid to travel as that will help you get even more quest. Your quest log can hold up to 20 at a time. You can level up fairly fast to 15 and then it slows down a little bit but progress is still at a pretty fast clip. The only auction houses in the game right now are at Ironforge (Alliance), Orgrimmar (Horde), and Booty Bay (Mixed) so those are the busiest cities on the regular servers.

firex

I doubt they have a pvp server up for the stress test, but just so you know, the horde should almost always be less populated than the alliance.

And probably the most newb friendly class in the game is paladin since they're similar to warriors in weapon/armor proficiencies (although they don't get any ranged) and they can heal themselves. Warlocks are probably the toughest to get into, and also are going to be polished up a lot in the future, meaning right now they're a bit sucky compared to how they used to be (although quite frankly, what made them good was pretty much a bug). Another class I wouldn't really try is a druid, they're also due for some polishing. Not really a bad class, it's just that the most polished classes in the game right now are warriors, rogues, mages and priests, with paladins and shamans lower (they don't have talents like the first 4 classes I mentioned do, but they're probably going to get talents next).

My Character

sleepin.JPG

firex said:
it's just that the most polished classes in the game right now are warriors, rogues, mages and priests, with paladins and shamans lower (they don't have talents like the first 4 classes I mentioned do, but they're probably going to get talents next).

any tips for Rogue Players?

neptunes

ok guys my pc just chuggs trying to play this game,

I'm willing to give my account away, 1st person to reply gets it.

The only thing is that the account name will be neptunez.

Let me just check and see if you would have access to my personal info.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"why is it most of the rabid WoW fans are the same bitter people who sucked ass during FFXI?"

Blew ass? I got to lvl 20 and it just wasn't fun.

I had to run for hours to go back and forth from places. WoW has fixed this.

FFXI just felt empty. It had no style, and had shallow art. It wasn't like Final Fantasy at all.

WoW screams art and style. And I love the music too. FFXI had cheesy music, like the extremely annoying login process that you had to enure, it had this terrible music...

FFXI was just a piece of trash that I held onto too long to justify the ridiculous software cost.

Your opinion on it is yours. If you like the game, great. I just can't understand why anyone would.

Edit: I'd like to add I've seen far less lag on Blizzards stress beta test than I've seen in on FFXI's retail software. And that game cuts the viewing distance of characters by like 75 feet, whereas this game I saw at least 100+ people at the spawn point 1 hour after it started. It ran fairly smooth.

neptunes

epmode you have it downloaded yet?

:/ I do feel some sympathy for mr. ping

but if you do epmode then I will PM you shortly.

epmode

i don't have the client. when i heard about the fileplanet subscribers only thing, i stopped caring. if it'll be too much trouble for me to download, you can go ahead and give the key to someone else.

edit: i don't really have much time to play this anyway. the key would be wasted on me. thanks for the offer, though.

Bobety

Has anyone outside the US got it to work? I have a feeling thats's why it's not working for me, i can log in on my account, but when i select a server it sits there for ages until it gives me this message:

"Failed to connect. Please be sure that your computer is currently connected to the internet and that no security features on your system might be blocking traffic."

I don't use a firewall, only norton antivirus, which i disabled anyway and it still didnt work... does anyone know if this problem is related to me being outside the US or if it's something else? If it is because im not the US, does anyone know of any program/method of hiding my IP from WoW so it doesn't keep me out? Any help would be VERY appreciated, i went through so much trouble getting this to work and getting the client and i've really been looking forward to playing...

Floater

Banned
Anybody get some strange weirdness when they boot it up? Mine minimizes straight away, and when I click on it - the screen goes black, I hear about 3 seconds of music and then I'm back to the desktop.

BAH! Didn't want to play it anyway ... (sniff)

Top Bottom