• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Continued from here

wow.jpg

GAF WoW player database
Submission Form
Viewable Spreadsheet

traveler

Not Wario
It had a good run. :(

I wonder if that thread saw the bulk of WoW's lifespan or if Blizz still has a decade or so in it to come.

Chris R

Last post from the old topic, but I still want to know!

I'm not in the Beta so I don't know. Are there any new 58-80 zones at all? Or will characters still be forced to go to Outlands for 58-68 and Northrend for 68-80?

FLEABttn

Banned
traveler said:
I wonder if that thread saw the bulk of WoW's lifespan or if Blizz still has a decade or so in it to come.

WoW will be around quite some time. EQ1 has been around since, what, 1999? 17 expansions later, 11 years, and a playerbase of 150-250k and it's still going? Yeah, WoW has a long life ahead of it.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, business wise, it's obviously set for a while, but I'd kind of like to hope, as unlikely as this probably is, that Blizzard will end it when it needs it regardless of subs. It's obvious they're pushing the boundaries of both the engine and design space as is and I'd like to see them move on to new ventures before the game's mechanics and tech are too outdated/reused.

rhfb said:
Last post from the old topic, but I still want to know!

I'm not in the Beta so I don't know. Are there any new 58-80 zones at all? Or will characters still be forced to go to Outlands for 58-68 and Northrend for 68-80?
No new zones. It still works like it does today. EK/Kali > Outland > Northrend > EK/Kali

Ashodin

Damn, I was wondering if EviLore was going to shut down the other thread - it is perhaps one of the oldest and longest threads on GAF. I was hoping for it to get to 1000 pages! :D

ezekial45

Banned
I have an 80 Paladin and 74 Warrior on one server. For a while I have been wanting to go on a pvp server or a completely new server as horde for Cataclysm, which is a good chance to see all the new content. I am really torn on which class to choose, I have been considering a hunter or shaman. Any ideas? I am open to all options. :D

Evlar

Banned
rhfb said:
Man, what a missed opportunity :(
This question pops up now and then. It's bizarre. There are 17 zones in the game for 58 to 80, not counting Dal- not much less than one zone per level. I can't see why we would need more.

Chris R

Evlar said:
This question pops up now and then. It's bizarre. There are 17 zones in the game for 58 to 80, not counting Dal- not much less than one zone per level. I can't see why we would need more.
It's not about adding more per say, just fleshing out the main world. Just adding a bit here and there, retooling some older content (ZulGrub, AQ, ect) Like I said I'm not certain what's up with that stuff now since I'm not in the beta, and I guess keeping the lower level players away from the 85s on pvp servers should reduce ganking, it just seems that they missed an opportunity to "unite" Azeroth as a whole world if you can understand what I'm trying to say. Instead it's like "hey grats on hitting 58, now get out of here and don't come back until you hit 80ish".

Evlar said:

Outland levelling is really quick to from what I remember on my DK. You can skip the boring zones easily if you want. I think I did HP -> some Zang -> some Nagarad -> some Blade's Edge Mountains

Rested XP did help with that a lot. But I was basically 71 when I left for Northrend.

It's not about adding more per say, just fleshing out the main world. Just adding a bit here and there, retooling some older content (ZulGrub, AQ, ect) Like I said I'm not certain what's up with that stuff now since I'm not in the beta, and I guess keeping the lower level players away from the 85s on pvp servers should reduce ganking, it just seems that they missed an opportunity to "unite" Azeroth as a whole world if you can understand what I'm trying to say. Instead it's like "hey grats on hitting 58, now get out of here and don't come back until you hit 80ish".

Well, Outland and Northrend are important from Lore perspective, so Blizzard would want to keep that going. Plus, I doubt they really want to just waste away two expasion pack content.

The only main problem would be that the two main continents are now being revamped for the post Cataclysm effect, while Outland and Northrend we won't see any effect of this major event.

Evlar

Banned
rhfb said:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying in a sense (more considering Outland than Northrend, which is after all simply another continent of the same world). I do like the "patchwork" feel of the old world, as it shows off one of the most eye-popping WoW features most dramatically- the interconnected no-load-screen continents, with characters of all types and levels running about doing their own thing. Northrend is huuuuge but less "lived in" than EK and Kal ever felt.

But in terms of content Outland and Northrend are both fantastic, in my opinion, and I wouldn't choose to skip them if I could. Their disconnectedness is an unfortunate structural issue baked into the game. I am glad that Cataclysm will get us back to the good old times of level 85s dashing back and forth over the 30 and 50 zones and doing the bulk of their hanging out in the major capital cities.
Outland levelling is really quick to from what I remember on my DK. You can skip the boring zones easily if you want. I think I did HP -> some Zang -> some Nagarad -> some Blade's Edge Mountains

Rested XP did help with that a lot. But I was basically 71 when I left for Northrend.
Yeah, both Outland and Northrend have such an abundance of things to do that you'll likely skip entire zones as you level through. Places like Dragonblight and Nagrand are more like "superzones", anyway- they're so gigantic and contain so many different factions and quest lines that you'll rarely do it all before you outlevel the content.

Chris R

Not saying those zones aren't important, just saying maybe three new/retooled zones with only a few quests here and there would flesh out Azeroth even more and tie in the other zones even more. Like I said earlier I don't know what exactly is happening to a few of the lesser used zones/instances but this was the opportunity to retool them.

Magnus

Birth of a new guaranteed legendary thread!

Cataclysm has me so pumped. I can't fucking wait. I was really hoping to get into the beta to get the exploration of the redone Azeroth out of the way before school and out of my system, so I could just zerg 80-85 come launch, but alas. :(

My new laptop plays WoW. So much for getting this just for school. I'm so fucked. :( :lol

JesseZao

For online games, it seems like it would make more sense to segment the threads into expansion eras. Regardless, I'll keep coming back for the news and we'll see how far into cata I can wait before diving back in :D.

Alex

I can understand the disdain with the segmentation. It is a bit odd, and at distance with the rest of the stuff they've done, but considering the lengths they've gone to with redesigning and expanding just about the entire game, I find it hard to not be really impressed by the expansion thus far.

At this point, if I were them, I'd just be phoning it in. :lol But really, Cataclysm comes across to me as one of the single most impressive expansions ever produced from the sheer volume of change and addition.

I haven't subscribed for ... well quite a while! But it's nice to see, Lich King added some brilliant additions and revamps and new features that'll aid the game and the genre, but I feel the actual content was pretty ... so-so, Worse than BC for sure. So it's nice to see things taking turns that really suit me and really appeal to me.

From a financial standpoint there was no way Blizzard was going to make two expansions obsolete. It would be nice to level through new 60-80 zones, but they're so nice I don't think it's such a huge loss.

Alex

I've not seen any negativity outside of the fact that they're going through massive patch/class redesign roller coasters at a rapid pace and forumites have a hard time coping with it.

Happens every beta, hell it's actually happening around the same time it did during the LK beta even. Probably just amp'd now due to most of the core systems changing along with the classes.

It's fun to watch though, since my primary interest in Cata is for PvP currently since I want to give retail FFXIV a spin for awhile.

LowParry

S'all good. Beta goes through their woes. I'm just wanting to make a decision of where my MMO'ing goes for the next couple of years. There's a lot out there and coming out in the next year or so. This, XIV, Star Wars, Guild Wars 2. Fucking confusing man.

Dina

Outland leveling is so easy. Enter at 58, level in HFP till you are 63/64, then go to Nagrand and level till 68, then leave for Northrend. HFD/Nagrand are so awesome to level in, as well as super-easy and pretty.

CassSept

Dina said:
Outland leveling is so easy. Enter at 58, level in HFP till you are 63/64, then go to Nagrand and level till 68, then leave for Northrend. HFD/Nagrand are so awesome to level in, as well as super-easy and pretty.
Last time I leveled through Outland I just went HFP until 63, Zanga until 67 and a few more quests to pull me over to 68. Mind you, that was with +20% exp from heirlooms.
Still, leveling through TBC content has been shortened a lot thanks to reduced experience needed for each and every level. I guess the same will happen to Northrend once 4.0 comes.

Dina

CassSept said:
Last time I leveled through Outland I just went HFP until 63, Zanga until 67 and a few more quests to pull me over to 68. Mind you, that was with +20% exp from heirlooms.
Still, leveling through TBC content has been shortened a lot thanks to reduced experience needed for each and every level. I guess the same will happen to Northrend once 4.0 comes.

That's okay, but Zanger quests are around the 62-65 level. I leveled faster with the slightly higher Nagrand quests. Also, Nagrand has better questhubs imo. Nesingwary was also made a whole lot more tolerable. No heirloom items here btw.

CassSept

Dina said:
Nesingwary was also made a whole lot more tolerable.
Mind you, that's because requirements for these quests were bumped down from 30 to 12. That made Nesingwary quite a good questhub instead of "oh no not this shit again":D
I guess that's also going to happen in 4.0 so Northrend will take far far less time to complete when it's relegated to simply being a leveling continent.

First page of huge thread \m/

Anyhow what are your thoughts when cataclysm is coming?
I don't think it will be before blizzcon and blizzcon is in October... What will they do until then, people have been quitting of bored for past half of year hmm...

CcrooK said:
S'all good. Beta goes through their woes. I'm just wanting to make a decision of where my MMO'ing goes for the next couple of years. There's a lot out there and coming out in the next year or so. This, XIV, Star Wars, Guild Wars 2. Fucking confusing man.

My advice:

Don't try to plan ahead on this stuff. Just play what you want to play now, and swap when/if you feel like it.

All three games have sketchy futures. XIV is certainly not for me personally, so I have no opinion about it, other than I don't see it becoming a big threat game player. It might still be good in it's own way, I wouldn't know.

As for SWTOR and GW2 I see them both, either succeding or following under the hype like most everything else since post-WoW.
I think it's a given that most people will buy GW2(no fee!) unless it completely sucks ass. They are really hyping the shit like there is no tomorrow, but at the end of the day, and as a GW Veteran, and even if it will supposedly have a more persistent world than GW1, we're still talking lots of instancing(lots of people are misinformed about this) and in the end it's a game that should be compared to games like Diablo 3 and such, and not the full blown MMORPGs.

As for SWTOR, it can go both ways. No need to squabble and ponder over of these games will be the game of the forever. As for Cataclysm, hopefully it will turn out good. People here say that BC and WOTLK, ironed out a lot of their problems by the end of the beta, so there is still hope I guess, I wouldn't recommend starting a new character or returning to WoW before this expansion is out.
Instead, play around with the other "No fee" games like EQ2, LOTRO, GW1, Global Agenda... Fun stuff out there to be had with no fees.

Nolimit_SS said:
First page of huge thread \m/

Anyhow what are your thoughts when cataclysm is coming?
I don't think it will be before blizzcon and blizzcon is in October... What will they do until then, people have been quitting of bored for past half of year hmm...

My guess is still November!
My second guess is January/Febuary!

My guess was October but now I think it's most likely December but man that's too late, what are they thinking, they'll lose half of people.
Most of them will come back due to amazing expansion but still, no love >:[

Dina

CassSept said:
Mind you, that's because requirements for these quests were bumped down from 30 to 12. That made Nesingwary quite a good questhub instead of "oh no not this shit again":D
I guess that's also going to happen in 4.0 so Northrend will take far far less time to complete when it's relegated to simply being a leveling continent.

True, true. I also expect 30% less xp needed on 70-80 levels. Same as it happaned with the Outland expansion.

Hixx

Nolimit_SS said:
My guess was October but now I think it's most likely December but man that's too late, what are they thinking, they'll lose half of people.
Most of them will come back due to amazing expansion but still, no love >:[

They know as soon as 4.0 goes up, ie late October I would think, 75% of lost subs will come screaming back to prepare for Cata. Next 2 months are going to be painful, thank god for the football being back and Halo Reach!

Dina said:
True, true. I also expect 30% less xp needed on 70-80 levels. Same as it happaned with the Outland expansion.

I don't think they're going to do this. I think they want people levelling to experience SP and especially Icecrown which is why they've put the entry level for Hyjal and Vashj'ir back to 80 rather than 78. 30% off the XP required and you're going to be leaving Northrend half way through Grizzly Hills.

My sub expires on 31st, havent played for over a month, and even before it was nothing. I'll just level my 45 hunter to 58 and step into outland, and if I'm bored shaman(3x) to 58 as well, H and A, bye Azeroth. Then waiting.

They should release it right after blizzcon, CATACLYSM COMES TOMORROW WOOO, but they need to hype it up I guess...

Wont there be a big patch before 4.0? Is Ruby Sanctum really the last thing pre-Cata?

What about the big world event? I heard there would be something big.. like the zombie event last time.(which was fucking awesome).

I will never forgive all the people who said the Zombie event sucked pre WOTLK. What a bunch of tools! Here they had, had WoW... static and the same for 5 years, and then suddenly because they make something cool for one month that interrupts their elwynn shire questing, they go all whiney. screw those people!
I hope a cata live event will tear the world asunder and the carebears will fall into the fires and die!

Dina

HixxSAFC said:
They know as soon as 4.0 goes up, ie late October I would think, 75% of lost subs will come screaming back to prepare for Cata. Next 2 months are going to be painful, thank god for the football being back and Halo Reach!

I don't think they're going to do this. I think they want people levelling to experience SP and especially Icecrown which is why they've put the entry level for Hyjal and Vashj'ir back to 80 rather than 78. 30% off the XP required and you're going to be leaving Northrend half way through Grizzly Hills.

Maybe, maybe not. Dunno if the new regions have enough xp in them to get you from 78 to 85, but Blizzard have, in general, shown very few regard for older regions when a new expansion hits. Outland and the old, old world have had their run and have seen very few changes (apart from adjusting the xp needed) whenever a new expansion hit.

Hixx

Vigilant Walrus said:
Wont there be a big patch before 4.0? Is Ruby Sanctum really the last thing pre-Cata?

What about the big world event? I heard there would be something big.. like the zombie event last time.(which was fucking awesome).

4.0 will probably contain the world event(s). They said they were gonna do a 3.9 with Gnomeregan and Echo Isles but I think they have just merged them into 4.0?

4.0 is going to be a HUGE patch, bigger than 2.0 and 3.0, gonna be a pain to download even if they do it in chunks like usual.

Maybe, maybe not. Dunno if the new regions have enough xp in them to get you from 78 to 85, but Blizzard have, in general, shown very few regard for older regions when a new expansion hits. Outland and the old, old world have had their run and have seen very few changes (apart from adjusting the xp needed) whenever a new expansion hit.

Cata zones aren't designed to get you from 78-85, they're designed for 80-85.

Dina

HixxSAFC said:
Cata zones aren't designed to get you from 78-85, they're designed for 80-85.

Yes, so why force people to see Icecrown when you're gonna level on in the new zones in the old world? Arthas is, for all purposes, dealt with for a long time. Blizzard don't care if you see IC while you level and so I wouldn't be surprised if they up the xp received in WOTLK zones by 30%.

Hixx

Because WotLK questing is much more entertaining and fun than vanilla and TBC.

Blizzard don't care if you see IC while you level and so I wouldn't be surprised if they up the xp received in WOTLK zones by 30%.

That's just not true. They've stated many times they don't like older levelling content being redundant. Even with the xp nerf to the old world levelling you still see a majority of it even now. TBC you'll leave after Nagrand probably which imo is stupid. 30% nerf to XP in Northrend you'd end up missing around half the content.

If they wanted you to blitz through Northrend they would've let you leave at 78 rather than raising the Cata entry level to 80.

Dina

Without the 30% buff and no heirlooms you will be leveling from level 68 through Howling, Borean, Dragon, Grizzly, Zul, Sholazar and a bit of IC/SP until you reach level 80. Compared to the zones needed in Outland, that is way too skewed.

Again, you can get 10 levels in Outland only seeing Hellfire and Nagrand and possibly a bit of Zangermarsh. They eased leveling up in TBC when WOTLK came out and they eased leveling up in the old world when TBC came out. I fail to see how WOTLK is any different just because it has phasing? But we'll see what Blizzard will do.

As for why aren't they allowing lvl 78s in the new old world? No clue, maybe the new zones can't handle 7 levels of leveling (nice...), but it can handle 5? No clue. Hope they change it though, because leveling in WOTLK was nice but ultimately as bad as leveling in any other area when you've done it more then two times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom