• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

Effect said:
Do we know how much time has suppose to have passed between WotLK and Cata?
I think I heard "WoW original -> Cataclysm = 10 years passed" somewhere.

Not sure on WotLK -> Cataclysm though.

Fularu

Banned
ciaossu said:
Deathwing erupts as we are fighting the Lich King

He uses the fact that our attention is focused on Arthas to tear the world a new one.

CassSept

ciaossu said:
I think I heard "WoW original -> Cataclysm = 10 years passed" somewhere.

I don't think that's true. I believe WoW original -> TBC = 1 year; TBC -> WotLK = 1 year. According to first Cata trailer it's supposed to happen pretty much instantly after Fall of the Lich King. I guess they are going to make it one year again.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Reading back through the beginning of that old thread was a trip. People whining about the servers going down, figuring stuff out and discovering things. The launch of a new MMO is always the best time, everything is new and exciting and everyone is right there with you.

Spire said:
Reading back through the beginning of that old thread was a trip. People whining about the servers going down, figuring stuff out and discovering things. The launch of a new MMO is always the best time, everything is new and exciting and everyone is right there with you.

I didn't start playing WoW seriously until a year ago and I never really read that thread until recently. I'm going to have to set some time aside so that I can read through that thread. Must be some amazing things hidden in there.

Sciz

CassSept said:
I don't think that's true. I believe WoW original -> TBC = 1 year; TBC -> WotLK = 1 year. According to first Cata trailer it's supposed to happen pretty much instantly after Fall of the Lich King. I guess they are going to make it one year again.
No, there was a blue post somewhere not long ago that said ten years, regardless of what they've said in the past. I wouldn't put a lot of importance on either figure at any rate, as the passage of time is clearly not something Blizzard really considers unless they have to, as with the old world revamp.

There is definitely more than a few years gone by. Anduin Wrynn is all grown up for one thing. Oh, and they finished the Lakeshire bridge. That must have taken years!

notworksafe

Spire said:
I learned that you could and and drink at the same time from that thread. Blew my mind at the time. :lol

ampere

SiegfriedFM said:
There is definitely more than a few years gone by. Anduin Wrynn is all grown up for one thing. Oh, and they finished the Lakeshire bridge. That must have taken years!
Yeah it definitely isn't 2 years guys

Fularu said:
Deathwing erupts as we are fighting the Lich King

He uses the fact that our attention is focused on Arthas to tear the world a new one.
Are you just speculating? This sounds sort of plausible except for the Halion thing. He could be awakening during the LK fight.
Granted, the expansions have durations themselves; it's not just the in-between that matters.

Swag

ciaossu said:
Are you just speculating? This sounds sort of plausible except for the Halion thing. He could be awakening during the LK fight.
Granted, the expansions have durations themselves; it's not just the in-between that matters.

In the trailer for Cataclysm I believe the announcer says something to the effect of, (Paraphrasing) While the heroes are focusing they're efforts in Northrend, Deathwing arises from the maelstrom.

Something like that.

Manus

Flib said:
I had a warlock roll need on a BOE tanking shield which dropped in some low level instance the other day, saying it was for his paladin. Luckily I won it and laughed at him.

Was running my friend through SM Library and saw a Lock roll need on a Hunter staff. I asked him why and he said he occasionally melees. I just shook my head and kept going.

In other news, I'm having a blast leveling a blood tank DK. Their so much fun and tanking instances are a blast. I might make him my main, I'll see how much I like it when i get to 80. I really like my Lock, buy my guild has 4 that raid and I'm tired of having so many in one raid.

AFKevin

Neo Member
Just started playing WoW like a week ago, now a level 18 Warlock. Attempting to go through that ginormous thread will be pretty interesting. But the wealth of information in there should be pretty helpful.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
AFKevin said:
Just started playing WoW like a week ago, now a level 18 Warlock. Attempting to go through that ginormous thread will be pretty interesting. But the wealth of information in there should be pretty helpful.

Yeah but informations from 2004 or 2006 won't be quite up to date. The game changed so much since then.

JesseZao

AFKevin said:

Learn to love the dungeon finder. Just quest in relevant zones while queued for dungeons and you'll be breezing to max level content in no time. Break it up with a battleground when you're in the upper levels of each tier (x7-x9).

Evlar

Banned
I'm not sure pure dungeon finder grinding is the best way to go your first time through. Find your own pace, learn your class and the game. You should go into dungeons on occasion at the least- don't solo to 80, unless you want a rude surprise when you get there.

Of course, if you just love it and don't mind the gang of jerks you occasionally find with it, by all means, grind up with the dungeon finder.

Personally I found the groups in the dungeon finder leveling to 80 far better than the ones at 80. I had fun trying to remember old instances with others etc, people tend to be more chatty and friendly.

At level 80 it's a lot of cocky, over geared bored people who only want their 2 frost emblems. If anyone talks at all it's to call out the undergeared 'scrubs' who aren't performing to their standards.

firex

I've had pretty much every kind of group in dungeon finder. Fun groups, good people who just want to clear instances, stupid people who want to pull fast and aoe everything (even with no aoe classes), bad tanks and healers, dps queued as tanks, and so on.

Ashodin

firex said:
I've had pretty much every kind of group in dungeon finder. Fun groups, good people who just want to clear instances, stupid people who want to pull fast and aoe everything (even with no aoe classes), bad tanks and healers, dps queued as tanks, and so on.
There's always ONE guy who will insult the fuck out of the healer/tank. :lol

Bisnic

Another Rampart run with my prot warrior.

Another Rampart run where i lose BOTH the plate belt & tanking boots to a DPS DK.

FML

I hate DKs, they can go to fucking hell and burn there for eternity.

My warrior is lvl 65, i've only done instance runs with few quests so far in Outlands, and i've won ONE roll on plate drops so far. I don't know why i keep doing instances with my warrior. Argh.

Loxley

SiegfriedFM said:

Not to mention the Westfall Inn :D

With regards to the timeline, I read somewhere that the span of time between the end of vanilla WoW to the beginning on Cataclysm was ten years, which makes sense to me since Anduin looks like he's about 17-19.

Tacitus_

Bisnic said:

Another Rampart run where i lose BOTH the plate belt & tanking boots to a DPS DK.

FML

My warrior is lvl 65, i've only done instance runs with few quests so far in Outlands, and i've won ONE roll on plate drops so far. I don't know why i keep doing instances with my warrior. Argh.

Because you enjoy the pain :D

Magnus

I have finally seen the Lich King die. 10-man, lol. But man, wow. To see it after waiting for 8 years. Finally.

CassSept

Sebulon3k said:
In the trailer for Cataclysm I believe the announcer says something to the effect of, (Paraphrasing) While the heroes are focusing they're efforts in Northrend, Deathwing arises from the maelstrom.

Something like that.
I believed that too but right now it doesn't make much sense. It was probably the original plan, but had been retconned by now, as there are too many events between Fall of LK and pre-Cata event for it to happen instantly.
We have not only Halion, but also retaking of Echo Isles and Gnomeregan. I've seen it being referred somewhere as 3 years, but this could've been simply a rumor.

Dina

AFKevin said:

I wouldn't do that. Get a good, easy (I think demonology is pretty easy leveling for WoW newcomers) leveling build and you are mostly set. Leveling guides may also help. For everything else, there's this thread and the entire world wide web.

Touchdown

Banned
..sad my server is down today. :( I'm a bear tank, but wanted to switch to Worgen with a race change. Anybody know if thats going to be allowed as soon as cata starts or no?

CassSept

Touchdown said:
..sad my server is down today. :( I'm a bear tank, but wanted to switch to Worgen with a race change. Anybody know if thats going to be allowed as soon as cata starts or no?
I remember a blue post confirmed race change for new races will be delayed. I'm guessing about two weeks - a month after Cata launch. I know I'm changing my rogue to goblin, I'm in love with this race after their starting chain :D

I've copied my prot pala alt to beta and HOLY FUCKBALLS. What have they done to this class, it's incredible. It feels like a completely different class, even more so than TBC -> WotLK change. Sadly combat text is broken so I can't compare damage of different spells right now, but hopefully that will be fixed in the next build.

Dina said:
(I think demonology is pretty easy leveling for WoW newcomers)
Yeah, pretty much this. My lock is currently 74 and I'm still using a demonology heavy spec with a bit of Affliction sprinkled in. I leveled as pure Affliction until about 58 when one of my guildmates told me to try demonology. For some reason I was really against it. Probably because everything I knew about fights revolved around Affliction. However, I did change it and I don't think I'll ever go back. The felguard is a beast, I have hitpoints up the wahzoo, HE has hitpoints up the wahzoo, with soul link it takes A LOT to kill me (granted I'm in some TBC purples), and I can pretty much kill not stop, literally. As my dots and felguard eat away at some poor soul, I'm just keep pulling more. In fact, elites around my level aren't even that big of a deal.

And my favorite new thing to do is to gather up 6-8 mobs, SoC, tab, SoC, tab, SoC. (SoC = Seed of Corruption for those unfamiliar) And they all fall down. So many big numbers too, I love it.

Tacitus_

Demonology kinda sucks until you can get a felguard though (lvl 50). Affliction is the way to go (until that) if you're soloing with the occasional instance.

Kind of disappointing they couldn't come up with new models for these special mounts and just reskinned a dragon. Not to mention it looks god awful.

volcanicstonedrake.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Bisnic said:

FML

who cares about leveling gear? seriously the shit will be replaced in northrend, and then again at 80

ppl are retarded what are you going to do about it

Kletian

CassSept said:
I've copied my prot pala alt to beta and HOLY FUCKBALLS. What have they done to this class, it's incredible. It feels like a completely different class, even more so than TBC -> WotLK change. Sadly combat text is broken so I can't compare damage of different spells right now, but hopefully that will be fixed in the next build.

It's this stuff that makes playing a Rogue so depressing. We play pretty much the same as we did since Vanilla, biggest change was the poison revamp in the Assassination tree.... I want new and exciting darnit!

Rapstah

I ressurected my old 70 Warlock from the early days of BC and I have to say that going to Northrend at 70 instead of 68 is a load better. I always hated the ends of Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord, so now I only had to do the beginnings of both zones, both their instances and all the quests to them and I was already 72 and ready for Dragonblight. I love Dragonblight.

Calantus

i like smaller mounts better, tired of these big ass dragons. Carpet is one of my favorite flying mounts in the game, it allows me to actually see the game rather than just my mount.

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:
Gear with sockets is really, really nice for leveling.

Yeah, most of the loot that drop in Outland instances have 1 or 2 slots, which is really nice with Northrend green or blue gems. It's great for lvling. Kinda sucks how all the gear that drop in the regular Northrend instances have 0 slots. I mean wtf?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Calantus said:
i like smaller mounts better, tired of these big ass dragons. Carpet is one of my favorite flying mounts in the game, it allows me to actually see the game rather than just my mount.
Damn straight.

Swift Flight Form > *

ampere

funkmastergeneral said:
Gear with sockets is really, really nice for leveling.
Yup, my level 68 warrior had 6 24 stamina gems at level 62, very nice :).

Magnus said:
I have finally seen the Lich King die. 10-man, lol. But man, wow. To see it after waiting for 8 years. Finally.
Grats dude! It's a hell of a fight and post-fight cutscene if you care about lore. Good stuff.

Calantus said:

I don't mind the big ass dragons, in fact my preferred mount for a long time was my black Drake. I just wish they could add a little bit more creativity to these special mounts rather than just a reskin. (Though I assume all the badass, unique mounts will cost 25 dollars in the mount store)

Bisnic

For smaller flying mounts, there is also the manta rays from Outlands. No huge wings getting in the way and very few people use them. They're even rarer than proto drakes. :lol

Flib said:
swift flight form is the best thing in the game.

Once cataclysm comes out I will finally get a druid to level 80. I hate tauren and didn't feel like another night elf, so waiting to make a troll druid. Can't wait for flight form.

CassSept

Kletian said:
It's this stuff that makes playing a Rogue so depressing. We play pretty much the same as we did since Vanilla, biggest change was the poison revamp in the Assassination tree.... I want new and exciting darnit!
I know I know... I play rogue for over 3 years now and I don't think any single skill had been changed (except for % changes and removal of being behind requirement for muti) while Judgement alone had been revamped twice. I play with my main now on Cata and I barely feel any change while on my paladin I had to reread everything since pretty much every skill had been changed :/

Only mechanic change that had really huge impact on the class was change to energy flow from the annoying ticks every 2 sec to the current model.

notworksafe

Yeah but leveling a rogue is going to be so much better. They really are the worst for leveling of all the classes, but the self-heal is going to help a lot.

CassSept

notworksafe said:
Yeah but leveling a rogue is going to be so much better. They really are the worst for leveling of all the classes, but the self-heal is going to help a lot.
Isn't warrior worse to level? That's what I've heard.
Recuperate is an excellent spell, really. I'm loving leveling with it on beta. Additionally, as they said earlier in blue posts, you can use CPs from dead mobs to pop SnD and Recuperate and that helps a lot, as you don't lose them any more.
With Deadly Momentum from assa tree you can just use 5 CP Recuperate and kill all mobs without any downtime. It's going to be beautiful from now on <3

notworksafe

Warrior can be rough, but the plate they have protects them more so it's not as bad as rogue. The only obnoxious thing about Warriors is that they are so gear dependent so you spend a lot of time at the auction house.

I thought I had seen that you can talent Recuperate to give you energy as well. That is really badass.

Also seems Wrath finally got released in Chine. I love seeing what has been changed...especially when the changes make no sense. There's a bunch of pics here for those that are curious: http://chinagame.178.com/201008/75942001505.html

Calantus

Raiding as a rogue is is pretty different than it was in vanilla, but i agree that the class feels exactly the same beyond that.

I think Blizzard didn't even try with the remodels, i was thinking it might be to piss off the players to get some kind of reform (wishful thinking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom