• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

They aren't allowing 78s in the new world because they are most likely tuned for spells and gear above level 80.

Similar to why they are pumping up both mobs and gear, Blizz wants people to spend some time in the larger world rather than level completely through the LFG dungeon system.

firex

Dina said:
Yes, so why force people to see Icecrown when you're gonna level on in the new zones in the old world? Arthas is, for all purposes, dealt with for a long time. Blizzard don't care if you see IC while you level and so I wouldn't be surprised if they up the xp received in WOTLK zones by 30%.
They say this is still an option in cataclysm beta, but they don't want to do it. I think they're going to avoid a major xp nerf, but they might reduce it by 10%.

glaurung

Has there been any talk about what the new dungeons will reward or whether Blizzard will simply introduce a new type of emblem into the mix?

I'm not in the beta and that is probably a good thing. I'd hate to re-play through the same content twice with my main anyway.

Hixx

glaurung said:
Has there been any talk about what the new dungeons will reward or whether Blizzard will simply introduce a new type of emblem into the mix?

I'm not in the beta and that is probably a good thing. I'd hate to re-play through the same content twice with my main anyway.

Emblems are out, replaced by a points system. 2 levels of points for PvE, 2 for PvP. Hopefully will remove the incredibly annoying emblem switching at the moment.

notworksafe

The new system is points based. Hero points for heroic 5mans and non top tier raid content and Valor points for whatever the top raid is at the time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HixxSAFC said:
Emblems are out, replaced by a points system. 2 levels of points for PvE, 2 for PvP. Hopefully will remove the incredibly annoying emblem switching at the moment.

Yeah, nothing more annoying than getting new heirlooms or epic gems.

Take Triumph Emblems, turn them into Conquests. Then turn them into Valors. Then turn them into Heroisms. THEN BUY YOUR DAMN HEIRLOOM OR GEM. Fuck that.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
Yeah, nothing more annoying than getting new heirlooms or epic gems.

Take Triumph Emblems, turn them into Conquests. Then turn them into Valors. Then turn them into Heroisms. THEN BUY YOUR DAMN HEIRLOOM OR GEM. Fuck that.
That reminds me of a guildmate. This weekend we told him he could type the number in when buying multiple badges instead of clicking the up arrow 200 times.

Changed his whole worldview! :lol

firex

glaurung said:

Other people already mentioned the hero/valor points, so the only thing I have to add is that valor points convert to hero when a new top tier of raiding content comes out. The whole system is basically how they converted arena to honor gear but applied to pve, which is a good change.

It was kinda sad leveling through Outland so quick, especially since I never did most of it. I'm not too far off from Loremaster of Outland achievement. I think it's mostly Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley left for me.

I've been playing WoW since launch and I finally got epic flying for the 1st time :lol

I figured I might as well try and get one of the more interesting mounts so I started doing the Netherwing quests.... holy crap what a pain. Maybe I'll do the Skyguard quests instead.

Surprisingly there's still a few people doing them.

firex

Netherwing is faster once you unlock the grind. The grind sucks, but you can find eggs way more easily than in TBC since nobody goes to that zone anymore (or hardly anybody goes, I should say).

Flib

New thread is a good idea, but I'm still mourning the loss of the old one.

Pumped that they're finally doing maps for the old instances. I'm leveling a tankadin currently, and the first time in years going into places like Gnomeragon is a pain in the ass.

Bisnic

I must be the only one who takes out his chest/shoulder heirloom when i am in Outlands. We lvl up so fast in there that i kinda hate missing on so much stuff.

And Northrend will probably be the only continent where i will use them in Cataclysm. I don't want to lvl up too fast in the updated Kalimdor & EK.

Garryk

I'm in a terrible place right now. My alts are 63, 64, and 65 and in HFP. As soon as I run out of rested XP on one, I have to start all of those quest over on the next one.

glaurung

Garryk said:
I'm in a terrible place right now. My alts are 63, 64, and 65 and in HFP. As soon as I run out of rested XP on one, I have to start all of those quest over on the next one.
This is something that really bothers me. As soon as people start describing WoW as a chore, there is something very wrong.

Take a long break or concentrate on just one of your characters. Playing WoW like a conveyor belt worker will have detrimental effects.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Garryk said:
Take a good break before Cataclysm and then concentrate on only one when the expansion hits.

firex said:
Netherwing is faster once you unlock the grind. The grind sucks, but you can find eggs way more easily than in TBC since nobody goes to that zone anymore (or hardly anybody goes, I should say).

Yeah I've unlocked the grind, after 1 day I'm halfway through neutral. Should hit friendly tonight.

It just takes a while to get all the dailies done since I have some competition. I've only seen 1 egg so far, I need to reinstall Gatherer since from what I read there's only a couple of eggs up at 1 time and they respawn in an hour.

Effect

I posted this in another thread. Was then told about this one so I'll simply repost this here.

Well I've finally after years of playing off and on reached the max level. Storm Peaks in Northrend has to be one of my favorite areas as well. The storylines between dealing with various giants and the dwarfs stationed there were very good. Especially the ending of the dwarf quest line. I do want to finish the giant storyline but that means going into the dungeon there and kinda hesitant about doing that. I've only ever really grouped in WoW when it comes to dungeons when I had to head into the Deadmines in Westfall to finish up there. That was a lower level dungeon so it wasn't to complicated and there always seemed to be a higher level welling to lead friends into it. So I've done it that way and with similar level players.

Reaching 80 on my human paladin and finally getting my explorer achievement I think I'm done with the game for the time being. I've seen all the outside world content the game has to offer I think. A LOT of it is simply wasted too. There were areas I found that I think I could mess around in and not run into another player for hours. A shame since a lot of these areas are beautifully designed. I wish some of the dungeons could be soloed to a degree though. Many of them can be empty as well I think. It's not like people are flocking to the newer areas either form what I can tell. Good parts of WotLK areas can be empty with maybe a few people around. Granted they have the new quest system but I think only Icecrown and Storm Peaks use it heavily in addition to the Death Knight intro questline. That's also what made those areas so great to quest in for me. If it wasn't for those I don't think I'd have go through the effort to reach 80. Though I wish they had that system for Outland. That expansion was my favorite.

Going to be respecing my Paladin from Prot/Ret (have dual spec enabled) to Holy/Ret. Not good at leading groups and play better as a support or damage dealing character. Anyone have any suggestions on how one should approaching grouping as a Holy Paladin in dungeons for the first time? Dos and don'ts? Try to find a guild that is open to those new to grouping and avoid PUGs?

Thanks

Swag

Effect said:
I posted this in another thread. Was then told about this one so I'll simply repost this here.

Definitely try to find a guild that is open to new people, you'll be able to get quicker responses to any questions you may have quicker then posting on GAF.

J-Rzez

Now certainly isn't the time to level alts. Considering they'll be tweaking the XP needed in various ways from 1-80, along with a better 1-60 experience, I'd just wait. And the biggest factor in there is the addition of the new Heirloom items.

Chest: 10% xp
Shoulders: 10% xp
Ring: 5% xp

Those are good to 80 so far and then the new heirlooms:

Helm:10% xp
Back: 5% xp

So you're looking at a 40% increase overall from 1-80. Not to mention various zone buffs, etc.

I'll make a goblin something on launch and let it sit and collect rested, and work on it after i get some new heirlooms.

New Thrall. (This might've been posted in the old thread but I'm posting it for the new one.)

As per MMO-C, stay tuned for changes!

24dq1rq.jpg

Rambaldi

You know, I'm really more concerned with when 4.0 will come out than I am about Cataclysm at this point. My guild is still raiding... etc, but I think 4.0 will be a nice little shake up to kinda break the monotony. I'm sure it will be only a month before Cata but it will be new and help hold us all over. :3

I'm not sure what they're doing, sounds like they're escalating the tensions between Horde and Alliance like the good old days of Warcraft I.

I'm not sure why Hellscream is getting such an important position/role(nothing like his father either). Thrall surely has far more levelheaded people that would be ahead of him (Eitrigg, Saurfang).

It's not so long ago that Garrosh was all depressed sitting by the campfire in Nagrand.

CassSept

I like the new Thrall model. This one could easily pass as the new orc player model compared to Garrosh's dumbface.

I don't think they're going to do this. I think they want people levelling to experience SP and especially Icecrown which is why they've put the entry level for Hyjal and Vashj'ir back to 80 rather than 78. 30% off the XP required and you're going to be leaving Northrend half way through Grizzly Hills.
I'm 90% sure that they are going to do it anyway. Two reasons:
1. It will be outdated content, only used for leveling. Your arguments can be just as well adjusted to wanting people to experience Netherstorm and SMV back in TBC.
2. Even as it is now, it's impossible to experience both Storm Peaks and Icecrown while going through Northrend. On the first character I've leveled to 80, without heirlooms, with no rested (launch race to 80, weeee), or no knowledge of quests I only had to do a couple of Icecrown quests to hit 80. And I jumped to every next zone as soon as it was possible, with the only zone cleared being Storm Peaks. Thus, I don't find this argument strong enough to justify not bumping down experience in 4.0.

Fighting with Vol'Jin and throwing him out, killing Cairne, fighting/cursing Sylvanas. Forsaken making plague in secret, Trolls thinking about leaving Horde, Cairne before death opposing Garrosh.

Lots of drama.
Whats up with blood elves?

FLEABttn

Banned
CassSept said:
I like the new Thrall model. This one could easily pass as the new orc player model compared to Garrosh's dumbface.

My girlfriend doesn't like it. She thinks they made him look like a girl.

Bisnic

FLEABttn said:
My girlfriend doesn't like it. She thinks they made him look like a girl.

Let me guess, because of the robe? Then every orc warlocks & shamans with kilts looks like girls.

Eric WK

All of Thrall's mail will be destroyed during the Cataclysm world event, leaving him in destitution with only his cloth pajamas.

Rapstah

Eric WK said:
All of Thrall's mail will be destroyed during the Cataclysm world event, leaving him in destitution with only his cloth pajamas.
Which, in Cataclysm, is still item level 350.

Flib

Really enjoying tanking on my Paladin, just reached level 30. Pretty funny doing like 45% of the total damage in low level dungeons. This is my third tanking character (have a druid and a dk), and this is a nice change of pace.

It's funny, tanking was always the role which appealed to me the least, and I was always a dps/healer. Once I finally tried tanking, I now don't really want to do anything else. Definitely want to get all 4 tanking classes to max level, I love the differences in their styles (but I'm not a huge fan of DK tanking).

Macattk15

Any word on what we buy these new heirloom items with? Is the head and back pieces the guild vendor stuff? I think I saw that floating around somewhere ...

Bisnic

Flib said:
Really enjoying tanking on my Paladin, just reached level 30. Pretty funny doing like 45% of the total damage in low level dungeons. This is my third tanking character (have a druid and a dk), and this is a nice change of pace.

It's funny, tanking was always the role which appealed to me the least, and I was always a dps/healer. Once I finally tried tanking, I now don't really want to do anything else. Definitely want to get all 4 tanking classes to max level, I love the differences in their styles (but I'm not a huge fan of DK tanking).

The only shit part of doing the tank job is the DPS(sometimes healer) who :

1) Attack too fast
2) Don't know about LOS tank pulling and attack mobs before they reach you behind the corner/pillar.
3) Whine when you don't pull big groups.
4) Whine when you don't move as fast as they want.
5) DKs & Ret paladins who have Frost Presence or Righteous Fury on.
6) DPS plate users who steal your tanking drops without even asking if you need it.

Luckily, i don't have to deal with people who say "you suck, learn to tank", because i dont suck. :D

You should try tanking with a warrior, once you can charge in defensive stance, you're going to love it. Especially when a boss send you high into the air and you can just charge back to him in midair. Fuck yeah!

notworksafe

Macattk15 said:
Any word on what we buy these new heirloom items with? Is the head and back pieces the guild vendor stuff? I think I saw that floating around somewhere ...
At the moment they are on the guild vendor. I thought I had read that you'll be able to buy them with PvE points as well.

Flib

Bisnic said:

1) Attack too fast
2) Don't know about LOS tank pulling and attack mobs before they reach you behind the corner/pillar.
6) DPS plate users who steal your tanking drops without even asking if you need it.

Luckily, i don't have to deal with people who say "you suck, learn to tank", because i dont suck. :D

You should try tanking with a warrior, once you can charge in defensive stance, you're going to love it. Especially when a boss send you high into the air and you can just charge back to him in midair. Fuck yeah!

But those are the fun of the job, since I think everyone is an idiot anyway. I'm a fast, efficient tank now, so I hardly ever get any shit these days. As a bear, the most annoying thing is attacking when I'm LOSing. Always happens at that lower terrace before the first boss in Old Kingdom with the closely grouped caster mobs which are annoying for us to deal with (lacking a silence). I've never wiped tanking h HoR though, so I'm doing things right in general. I just wish ICC had more interesting tanking encounters, aside from the fun of Abom piloting on professor.

I have a level 25 warrior...really fucking love him even at that level, but my best friend is leveling a warrior for Cata (his first tank), so I promised to hold off on that (and decided to do a Pally in the meantime). Probably going to level a goblin resto shaman as my first Cata alt, then a Worgen warrior (who I will probably end up faction changing later, but I will probably want to see the Alliance Cata content first).

Bisnic said:
1) Attack too fast

That's a perfect list of why I quit playing a tank. It's too much BS to put up with and insta-queue is the only reward.

The last person that stirred up shit over my tanking I managed to get perma-banned though :lol

The single worst part (for me) about tanking in a 5-man is that no one does anything to make your job easier. DPS attack whatever/whenever they feel like, no aggro control blow all abilities cooldowns every time to get high on DPS meter.

I miss the days when you'd scold/boot people for not assisting the tank or breaking sheep (back when CC mattered).

Bisnic said:

1) Attack too fast

I really was optimistic about tanking when I got my druid to 80. It's just too freaking stressful for me. I'm not the kind of person who likes being responsible for so much of the experience for all of the players. I started to tank with a friend without prior tanking experience. While my friend was saying that I was doing well I just couldn't take the assholes who said I sucked before the first pull. By the end I showed that I was good and they had to eat their words, but that wasn't really enough to wipe away the negative experience.

Have a 76 Paladin right now that I spec'd prot and ran Violet Hold and went without a hitch, but I still can't shake the negative feelings I get regarding tanking. I'm not giving up yet though. Though I'm much more comfortable with my warlock.

Also have a 25 Warrior that I am having a blast playing. Hopefully I'll start tanking with him tonight.

Flib

I had a warlock roll need on a BOE tanking shield which dropped in some low level instance the other day, saying it was for his paladin. Luckily I won it and laughed at him.

Flib

Jibber Hack said:
I really was optimistic about tanking when I got my druid to 80. It's just too freaking stressful for me. I'm not the kind of person who likes being responsible for so much of the experience for all of the players. I started to tank with a friend without prior tanking experience. While my friend was saying that I was doing well I just couldn't take the assholes who said I sucked before the first pull. By the end I showed that I was good and they had to eat their words, but that wasn't really enough to wipe away the negative experience.

Have a 76 Paladin right now that I spec'd prot and ran Violet Hold and went without a hitch, but I still can't shake the negative feelings I get regarding tanking. I'm not giving up yet though. Though I'm much more comfortable with my warlock.

Honestly, a big part of tanking is just getting comfortable with it. That's as much of the skillset as anything else in my experience, learning not to panic and getting your oh shit buttons and cooldowns to become second nature.

J-Rzez

Nolimit_SS said:
Fighting with Vol'Jin and throwing him out, killing Cairne, fighting/cursing Sylvanas. Forsaken making plague in secret, Trolls thinking about leaving Horde, Cairne before death opposing Garrosh.

Lots of drama.
Whats up with blood elves?

Nothing going on with the belves atm that I saw. I don't think they even bother redesigning Silvermoon, or made it more accessible so people would rather hang out there.

Silvermoon is TBC content I guess but they should have put some work there at least, but oh well, hopefully we'll get some belf story eventually.

Evlar

Banned
Flib said:
Honestly, a big part of tanking is just getting comfortable with it. That's as much of the skillset as anything else in my experience, learning not to panic and getting your oh shit buttons and cooldowns to become second nature.
I agree. Tanking is sitting in the hot seat. The trepidation I felt before I started tanking was due to comprehending how much groups would be dependent on me and the realization that lots of people will learn to despise me if I couldn't do my job right. The reward is realizing that I could handle it, and occasionally getting the opportunity to singlehandedly pull the group's nuts out of the fire.

Bisnic

Flib said:

Yeah, i've put a lot of negative points, but i still enjoy tanking with my warrior. Even thought he don't need Frost emblems anymore for gear, i still log him once a day for the daily just because i enjoy it. And since i'm not a shitty tank who can't hold threat and i've found a decent moving speed that fits for most people, they very rarely whine at me these days so it's not a problem anymore. Even if i somehow lose aggro on 1 mob, a single Taunt or Shield Slam is enough to put him back on me.

But yeah, it can be a pretty tough & painful job when you are new to tanking and your DPS members greatly outgear you. I haven't done it recently, but i assume tanking with a GS of 3.2k when you have DPS with 5.9k must be hard, no matter how good you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom