• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
AFKevin said:
So i've been wondering for awhile, what's the best way to target what the tank is targetting without having to use /assist? I've had some threat issues recently, due to me attacking the mob the tank isn't fighting, and was wondering what's the easiest way to do this during a instance?

Right click his portrait and choose Set Focus. It will create a 2nd portrait icon of him, without actually needing to click on him all the time to see who he is targeting. Of course, also make sure you have "Target of Target" activated.

Like this, i always see who the tank is targeting and i just have to click on his target showing just under his portrait.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thnikkaman said:
So my rogue has made it to lvl17 on Alliance side (saving my tauren paladin for cataclysm). Since I've never made it this far in WoW, where is a really good place to train up and get xp? I'm on Defias Brotherhood (EU) so grouping won't be an issue but pvp will. I don't know a thing about dungeons or when they start but I'm in the level range for some in the group-finder so it must beat getting my ass kicked by Defias in Westfall.

Also one last question about armour: the game I came from has equipment sets every ten levels (1-10 is iron armour, 1-20 is steel etc) so when is a good time to get new gear and is it really as spread out across the world as it seems? Thanks

Oh, and I was on a boat. Then I dinged with candy.
Would still appreciate tips on effective places/instances to level or places to team up. Anybody else on DB?

Flib

Thnikkaman said:
Would still appreciate tips on effective places/instances to level or places to team up. Anybody else on DB?

Press I to queue for a dungeon, press h to queue for a battleground. You can start doing them at level 15, so you're good.

The quest flow in the old world blows, though it's completely changing in a few weeks to be awesome, when patch 4.03 drops. I'm not going to give you any specific places to go to since it's faster to do dungeons, but here is a rough guide of level ranges for zones/questing areas: http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level_(original)

Note that these level ranges will change when 4.03 hits.

Bisnic

Thnikkaman said:

Rogues can only wear leather. As long as you find leather gear with better agility & stamina than what you are currently using, they are upgrades to you.

At lvl 17, Westfall & Redridge are still the best zones for you. Maybe Loch Modan too, but that's a little far away when Westfall & Redridge are close to each other.

And yeah, dont hesitate to do dungeons when they become available, they're not hard at low lvls.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thanks, experience gain in Westfall is dragging me down. Brown/orange zones in MMOs do that a lot. So I guess it's time to start queuing for dungeons. Just hope I don't completely suck!

Flib

Thnikkaman said:
Thanks, experience gain in Westfall is dragging me down. Brown/orange zones in MMOs do that a lot. So I guess it's time to start queuing for dungeons. Just hope I don't completely suck!

One last note, the dungeons get a million times better as you get higher level, so stick with it if the early ones aren't too interesting. They are getting rebalanced/changed as well when 4.03 drops.

Evlar

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
If it's the zone that's bothering you then you can just level elsewhere. Loch Modan is green and blue.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Evlar said:
If it's the zone that's bothering you then you can just level elsewhere. Loch Modan is green and blue.
I had no idea Loch Modan covered my level. Just figured that players from there would join the human questing areas. /newbie

notworksafe

Thnikkaman said:
Push through to the other side! The next leveling zone for you is Duskwood, my favorite in the entire old world! The whole thing is full of ghosts, ghouls, and zombies! It's like a giant haunted house.

Bisnic

Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think Duskwood is getting changed much in 4.0.3. Well, other than the quests themselves.

Blizzard's interface options seems pretty limited. Is there a way to get the built in scrolling combat text to NOT show incoming damage/healing, but keep on procs? Can you also customize the built in version of power auras? (Add more effects...?)

Boof

notworksafe said:
Good! It's a really cool zone, makes me sad that I mostly play Horde now.

One of my favorite things to do back in Vanilla was to go ganking in Duskwood as Horde. If you gank at the cemetery area the run back used to be SO long.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Huzzah! First dungeon run was a mixed bag. I got two cool weapons for my combat rogue, Smite's Reaver and Blackwater Cutlass so reaching 20 will be a lot easier. On the other hand our designated healer was actually a ret paladin, we wiped four times and everyone gave up.

I hope the world/quest change patch comes begin/mid november. I'm really in the mood to level a new mage, can't wait to see all the new quests and quests rewards :D Would be nice if WoW-Pro manages to finish their leveling guides before the expansion, they say they're trying to do that. It would take away a bit of the exploration element, but leveling takes enough time anway :p

And the Alliance on my server is pretty crowded, no matter where you are, there are always people around. Love it.

Flib

Yeah, but being alliance is so unfortunate.

And you really don't need a leveling guide for the new 1-60 content. It flows naturally and you are never not sure of where to go next.

Hixx

Bisnic said:
Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think Duskwood is getting changed much in 4.0.3. Well, other than the quests themselves.

It's not. The questing is much more convenient (no running back and forth from Darkshire -> Raven Hill) but the quest lines are largely the same.

Bisnic

Flib said:
Yeah, but being alliance is so unfortunate.

Please, leave those stupid anti-alliance posts for the official forums & ingame. :lol Alliance isnt worst than Horde since the day they gave them blood elves. Unless all you care about are pug battlegrounds, then maybe i would agree with you.

Flib

Haha, I'm just kidding. I played Ally most of my wow career, changed all my main toons to horde a couple of months ago when rebuilding my guild.

I do like what they did with the horde in Cata compared to the new Alliance areas. Mainly because Goblins make every zone better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Flib said:
Lol.

Orgrimmar is so freaking awesome in Cataclysm. Completely different, but amazing.
Eh new Orgrimmar is alright but flying over new Stormwind is probably one of the coolest parts of Cataclysm.

Flib

We'll have to agree to disagree. I find the new Org stunning, and while it's cool to see how large and developed SW is, it just doesn't have the same visceral impact for me.

I love how varied Org is now, and there are so many moving parts (the cranes, the elevators (which actually have working, spinning gear systems running them...I think that's a first in WoW:lol ). Areas like the stream/waterful above the valley of honor, the awesome redesign of the valley of wisdom...also the feeling that the horde are actually building a war machine, with large vehicle staging area/training camps spreading out from the city. Doesn't help that it looks gorgeous.

SW is pretty and I like the retexturing (and the redesign of the keep), but I just don't think it's as interesting.

notworksafe

Glad to see the Horde could finally afford the upgrade from Great Hall to Stronghold. Maybe we'll eventually see an upgrade to Fortress. :lol

VaLiancY

SquirrelNuckle said:
Alliance FTW. I'm not a huge fan of the races on Horde, except for Tauren.

orc_vectorized_blueorange.jpg

:p

SnakeswithLasers said:
Blizzard's interface options seems pretty limited. Is there a way to get the built in scrolling combat text to NOT show incoming damage/healing, but keep on procs? Can you also customize the built in version of power auras? (Add more effects...?)

Blizzard's new in-game power auras are pretty limited. Power Auras Classic is the mod they based it off of, and is still better - you can customize position, size, transparency, etc. of almost any proc, buff, debuff, etc. you can think of. Really worth it if you find yourself a visual person. Also lets you add timers and number of stacks along with the image and animation (also sound if you want.) that you can position anywhere you want (rather than glancing at your buff bar.)

As for the scrolling battle text, I'm not sure if the default is really customizable, but I use Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (MSBT) - there's at least another addon that does the same thing, and you could customize it so it just shoed procs. Can also change font, position of the text, etc. Very customizable, fairly user friendly. Hardly ever breaks on patches either.

Thnikkaman said:
Ding 20! Now to raise 3g60s for mount training... Yay.
ROFL. Holy crap.

...queue up "back in my day" speeches--but still: 3g60s and level freaking TWENTY! And that's with an inflated reward economy as well as faster leveling from 1-20.

Congrats though! It's always awesome to get that mount and reach those milestones.

I'll keep my old man bickering to a minimum.

Hixx

GasProblem said:
I'm going to make it my mission to actually read the quest logs while leveling.

I've never really been a fan of reading the quest logs bar searching for the area I need to be in but the new ones are great. Some of them are genuinely hilarious :lol

Also BRC sucks. It's easier than ANY of the WotLK normals and I'll include Azjol Nerub in that.

notworksafe

Oh man mount cost and level changes blew me away! 4 goddamn gold at 20?! GET OUT! Epic Ground is only 100g and available at 40.

Mind boggling. I remember trying to raise 100g by 40 and 1000g by 60! It was just brutal.

Hixx

notworksafe said:
Oh man mount cost and level changes blew me away! 4 goddamn gold at 20?! GET OUT! Epic Ground is only 100g and available at 40.

Mind boggling. I remember trying to raise 100g by 40 and 1000g by 60! It was just brutal.

Free mount at 40 is why my first character was a Paladin.

Seems a daft decision now but I did actually, masochistically, enjoy the class back in vanilla.

Alex

I thought this dev comment on the cog wheel interaction bug was funny:

I just wanted to pop in and confirm that Dev is working on this issue. I understand frustrations over the speed of resolution, but keep in mind that lot of problems simply can't be hotfixed. The worst reaction to a bug is to break five other things while recklessly fixing the first. One of my old favorites was a bugged monster in the barrens. The initial fix for it on the internal server broke the Illidan raid encounter in Outland. That may sound ridiculous from a non programmer's perspective (and it's certainly funny) but that's how code works.

Tamanon

Banned
Alex said:
I thought this dev comment on the cog wheel interaction bug was funny:

Makes sense, my job had an entire 85000-unit distribution held up because someone wanted to put a tilda in their name. It's amazing what can break something else.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What were pallys like in Vanilla? I didn't pay much attention as horde.

I know they couldn't pve dps or endgame tank.

Did they mostly heal and help clense? Bubblehearth in pvp?

notworksafe said:
Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to Omen since BC. I am also wary of mods for the same reasons as you (I use like 5-6 total), but the guy writing Omen hasn't missed a patch day fix in years. :D

Plus now he just takes the normal threat UI and repackages it into an easier to see format, so Omen is easier to patch it seems. As a tank, I recommend it whole heartedly.
I used it since vanilla fo realz.

notworksafe

Buff bots first, off healers a distant second. Blessings only lasted 5 minutes, so there was a lot of buffing to be done in a 20/40 man raid. Plus by the time you were done blessing everyone, the first few people's blessings only had like 3 minutes left.

:|

Alex

Depends how vanilla you mean. I remember early on you didn't even get Blessing of Sanc, you had to have one poor bastard spec into Protection for it.

I never want to think of Vanilla again :lol I had plenty of good times and it was a more than competent game back then, but for me WoW really took into it's own with TBC and beyond.

I remember getting a stomach virus way back then, and it was my last time really putting any actual nerd hours into an MMO, but I did a pretty good job climbing that honor ladder with it. Talk about pain. Had to stick around in Ashenvale the whole time, 20 minute queues, top end honor ranks up, TOTAL time sink.

So glad that that kind of shit is dead and gone, except for the occasional crazy Asian MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom