• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GhostRidah said:
After the latest patch I heard it takes loads amount of runs to get points for one heirloom, have they hot fixed that at all? I am contemplating about resubbing so I can work on a few heirlooms for a cataclysm toon.
That's their intention. They say 85 heroics will be the same effort as old 80 heroics.

Here's the breakdown I wrote up and saved in a txt file:

"Old heirlooms cost was 40-65 emblems, Which equaled 463-752 JP. Current price of heirlooms is 2165-3500 JP, which equals 180-300 emblems. Each heroic boss gives you 16 JP, which equals ~1.4 emblems. You only get gold for random heroics, excluding the daily."

To go even further... ~26-43 random heroic boss kills compared to ~135-218.

DeathNote said:
That's their intention. They say 85 heroics will be the same effort as old 80 heroics.

Here's the breakdown I wrote up and saved in a txt file:

"Old heirlooms cost was 40-65 emblems, Which equaled 463-752 JP. Current price of heirlooms is 2165-3500 JP, which equals 180-300 emblems. Each heroic boss gives you 16 JP, which equals 1.4 emblems. You only get gold for random heroics, excluding the daily."

To go even further... ~26-43 boss kills compared to ~135-218.
Thanks for that, guess I will just wait and level old school style with no heirlooms.

Flib

Garryk said:
The only thing I need for the Hallowed achievement is the Hallowed helm. Done the Horseman 4 times now and all I have to show for it is a flimsy mask and some JPs.

I have 4 helms on one toon. Every bag this week has given me one.

DeathNote said:
Not everyone has heirlooms In BGs, but PVP vs. the ones that do suck, just to warn you.
Oh yea I know that, I am just going to hope Blizz made some great quest rewards for the new 1-60 content.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
GhostRidah said:
Oh yea I know that, I am just going to hope Blizz made some great quest rewards for the new 1-60 content.

If the new lvl 1-60 quest rewards are nearly as good as heirlooms, it will be so damn easy to quest. Hopefully they buff the health & damage of monsters a little.

So I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that I'm not going to get the 2 item drops needed for "the Hallowed" title. The other stuff is pretty much cake. I only have Outland to go as far as visiting the inns for candy. All I've gotten off of the horseman so far is a single flimsy mask and some JPs. The innkeepers are being really stingy too. I do about 4 "trick or treat"s per night. I'm just worried all my running around will be for nothing.

On a lighter note, only 9 more days until I get the "Crusader" title. I honestly didn't think I'd spend so much time on those dailies but they're pretty good money in a short amount of time. I run with a partner too so Chillmanders is incredibly easy. We knock out those quests really quick. It's nice.

Hixx

Bisnic said:
If the new lvl 1-60 quest rewards are nearly as good as heirlooms, it will be so damn easy to quest. Hopefully they buff the health & damage of monsters a little.

New 1-60 is ridiculously easy and incredibly fast. On the beta I haven't missed heirlooms at all, even without I feel I'm levelling TOO fast.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dina said:
I wonder too. I was always thinking the Emerald Dream. Maybe an intrusion into the Burning Legion realm? Uber-baddy Sargeras is still undefeated. Wasn't he the driving force behind Varimathras' betrayal?
Sargeras is the driving force behind every bad guy in Warcraft.

HixxSAFC said:
New 1-60 is ridiculously easy and incredibly fast. On the beta I haven't missed heirlooms at all, even without I feel I'm levelling TOO fast.
That's disappointing. I was hoping Cata would be an opportunity to add a little bit of challenge and difficulty to the pre-60 portion of Wow. Really Blizz it's ok to challenge your players sometime before they are max level.

Flib

Outdoor Miner said:
That's disappointing. I was hoping Cata would be an opportunity to add a little bit of challenge and difficulty to the pre-60 portion of Wow. Really Blizz it's ok to challenge your players sometime before they are max level.

80-85 is tougher than usual, actually. Many classes can't handle more than 1 mob.

Bisnic

Confused101 said:
So I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that I'm not going to get the 2 item drops needed for "the Hallowed" title. The other stuff is pretty much cake. I only have Outland to go as far as visiting the inns for candy. All I've gotten off of the horseman so far is a single flimsy mask and some JPs. The innkeepers are being really stingy too. I do about 4 "trick or treat"s per night. I'm just worried all my running around will be for nothing.

On a lighter note, only 9 more days until I get the "Crusader" title. I honestly didn't think I'd spend so much time on those dailies but they're pretty good money in a short amount of time. I run with a partner too so Chillmanders is incredibly easy. We knock out those quests really quick. It's nice.

It's not really that hard to get the Hallowed achievement. I got it yesterday on my mage. The only "tough" part is getting the helm & pet. But you can get both of them from the Horseman daily, innkeeper's bags & the daily quest located in the low lvl zones.

Dunlop

Ikuu said:
Has anyone ever logged out in one zone and then when they go to log back in had the character moved? Happened to an alt the other day, and now my DK was in Terrokar when I logged in Shattrath.

To be safe I would change your password if you do not have an authenicator, although you would have been pillaged before you logged back in if that was the case

Your girlfriend is checking your friends list

Rapstah

Ikuu said:
Has anyone ever logged out in one zone and then when they go to log back in had the character moved? Happened to an alt the other day, and now my DK was in Terrokar when I logged in Shattrath.
Yeah, the server ports you back to your last known location when you get disconnected. If your connection is flaky this can be your last zone change or last NPC spoken to.

Bisnic said:
It's not really that hard to get the Hallowed achievement. I got it yesterday on my mage. The only "tough" part is getting the helm & pet. But you can get both of them from the Horseman daily, innkeeper's bags & the daily quest located in the low lvl zones.
Yeah, it's not that hard until you have to rely on pure luck for one of the steps. My luck is pretty horrible. I didn't get crap from Brewfest and I'm worried that I'm not going to get crap from the horseman or the treat bags or the dailies.

At least I can't say I didn't try, haha.

Bisnic

Confused101 said:
Yeah, it's not that hard until you have to rely on pure luck for one of the steps. My luck is pretty horrible. I didn't get crap from Brewfest and I'm worried that I'm not going to get crap from the horseman or the treat bags or the dailies.

At least I can't say I didn't try, haha.

Keep trying, you still have 10 days left. And even when you're not playing WoW, you could just log off next to an innkeeper and log back for 5 secs every hour. :lol

Hixx

Flib said:
80-85 is tougher than usual, actually. Many classes can't handle more than 1 mob.

The first zones are pretty easy, but from Deepholm onwards things start hitting hard. Named quest mobs can take me down to 50% as a plate wearer, I pull an add with one of them and it'll be a struggle. 80-85 seems fantastic all round tbh.

Flib

HixxSAFC said:
The first zones are pretty easy, but from Deepholm onwards things start hitting hard. Named quest mobs can take me down to 50% as a plate wearer, I pull an add with one of them and it'll be a struggle. 80-85 seems fantastic all round tbh.

Yeah, you can get wrecked pretty easily in Twilight Highlands.

Bisnic said:
Keep trying, you still have 10 days left. And even when you're not playing WoW, you could just log off next to an innkeeper and log back for 5 secs every hour. :lol
Given wowhead drop data and a reasonable average availability to log in, someone computed like a 70% chance to get both the pet and hat. That's being available 12 hours a day as well.

It's kind of a shitty requirement.

Bisnic

Well, be glad that the achievement asking to get all 20(?) race masks is not part of the meta anymore.. now that one is really ridiculous.

Confused101 said:

I have the same exact problem. The last 5 treat bags I got from horseman and innkeeper were "there is no loot" x 2 and "flimsy mask" x3.

Meanwhile my friend gets squashling and the helm on day 1 :lol

Edit: Make that another flimsy mask and a wand!

notworksafe

You guys do know that the pet/helm drops from the starting area quest (save town from Horseman) and from Inkeepers as well, right? Just do the starting area quest once a day and log in every 30mins (or however often you can) to get something from an Innkeeper. That will help a lot.

I've been tooling around on my 70 druid and it's pretty fun. Queuing up for a dungeon and clicking both the tank and healer checkbox makes everything instant. Running around and questing in cat form is lol easy. And I have complete shit gear. I am healing in feral gear and through the last instance I ran I never had to even throw a regrowth on the tank--rejuv and lifebloom was fine, with the occasional wild growth to the group when they took damage.

I'm also starting to get a bit better at druid tanking. The first run back was a pain due to the lack of AoE (swipe cooldown); but I started tab targeting more actively and it seemed to help a lot.

Some questions:

I noticed that the tooltip has the "threat" % on it. Is there a way that I can more easily access this information? Perhaps put the threat % on enemy portraits? So when I'm tabbing I can see who I really need to worry about focusing on. Also, how does the % work? When does "losing aggro" appear, percentage wise? And when does "change target" happen?

notworksafe said:
You guys do know that the pet/helm drops from the starting area quest (save town from Horseman) and from Inkeepers as well, right? Just do the starting area quest once a day and log in every 30mins (or however often you can) to get something from an Innkeeper. That will help a lot.
Yep, I make sure to trick or treat an innkeeper as soon as the 1 hour debuff is gone. I run the daily too. Best I've gotten so far are the bat wand and the leper gnome wand. I've got a couple flimsy masks and some toothpicks. Also got a penny pouch aka 1 slot bag. Meanwhile, people are getting something like 4 things at a time from the horseman.

Guess I'll just keep truckin'. :D

notworksafe said:

I have been doing the innkeepers quite a bit, they hate me :lol

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Some questions:

I noticed that the tooltip has the "threat" % on it. Is there a way that I can more easily access this information? Perhaps put the threat % on enemy portraits? So when I'm tabbing I can see who I really need to worry about focusing on. Also, how does the % work? When does "losing aggro" appear, percentage wise? And when does "change target" happen?
You can put the threat % on portraits by going into the settings. It's under Interface>Display. There will be a bunch of aggro related settings there.

I believe "losing aggro" appears when you lose 20% threat (so the target would have dropped from 100% to 80%). The target change happens when the person pulling threat hits 110% (for melee range) or 130% (for ranged).

I also recommend turning on Target of Target in Interface>Combat. That will let you see who the mob you are targeting has switched to.

And good luck to all the Hallow's End people! Keep harassing those innkeepers!

idlewild_

notworksafe said:
You can put the threat % on portraits by going into the settings. It's under Interface>Display. There will be a bunch of aggro related settings there.

I believe "losing aggro" appears when you lose 20% threat (so the target would have dropped from 100% to 80%). The target change happens when the person pulling threat hits 100% (for melee range) or 130% (for ranged).

I also recommend turning on Target of Target in Interface>Combat. That will let you see who the mob you are targeting has switched to.

110% for melee to shank

Bisnic

notworksafe said:

I believe "losing aggro" appears when you lose 20% threat (so the target would have dropped from 100% to 80%). The target change happens when the person pulling threat hits 110% (for melee range) or 130% (for ranged).

There's another trick for threat(with the default UI anyway). If you see a red glow around someone's portrait, this guy has the attention of the mobs on him(usually should be the tank obviously), and when its a yellow glow, that means this guy is dangerously close to steal a mob from you and you should watch him.

I usually take a quick look at people's portraits once in a while to see if someone has a yellow glow. If i see it, i spam the Tab button until i see that mob with with a orange glow(orange = you are losing threat against someone else) and use my big threat attack(Shield Slam for my prot warrior!) to get back to 100% threat.

notworksafe said:
Oops, right. Edited.

Also Omen is a very good threat mod. It shows everyone's aggro in little bars so you can see when someone is getting close.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omen-threat-meter.aspx
Cool, thanks for the help. I'm reluctant to install any mods. I always hate when they patch the game and it's unplayable due to my reliance on them. It's also a slippery slope. Once I install, omen, I'll have to install something for my healer. Then I'll install something for questing...then something else, and then I'll have 5 billion things going on.

notworksafe

Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to Omen since BC. I am also wary of mods for the same reasons as you (I use like 5-6 total), but the guy writing Omen hasn't missed a patch day fix in years. :D

Plus now he just takes the normal threat UI and repackages it into an easier to see format, so Omen is easier to patch it seems. As a tank, I recommend it whole heartedly.

Bisnic

SnakeswithLasers said:
Cool, thanks for the help. I'm reluctant to install any mods. I always hate when they patch the game and it's unplayable due to my reliance on them. It's also a slippery slope. Once I install, omen, I'll have to install something for my healer. Then I'll install something for questing...then something else, and then I'll have 5 billion things going on.

You don't need 50 addons to enjoy the game.

The only ones you really need should be Deadly Boss mods for instances(they really help for bosses when you're new to an instance), Atlas Loot Enhanced(to see where to get all the gear ingame, without needing to visit wowhead and such), Recount to see how you and your group are doing damage & healing wise. And maybe Gatherer if you have mining and herbalism, they really help you so you know where to look for herbs & ores. Gearscore, as much people hate it, can also help sometimes when you need to know how geared you are. I think that's all im using right now, and i still do a nice job in dpsing, tanking & healing. :p I could use Omen too, but i dont have much threat issues right now to really need it.

You don't really need questing or lvling addons these days with the ingame feature Blizzard added a few patchs ago. They ruin the game more than anything when they tell you where to find every single quest npcs and hold your hand for everything.

notworksafe said:
Yeah, I've gotten pretty used to Omen since BC. I am also wary of mods for the same reasons as you (I use like 5-6 total), but the guy writing Omen hasn't missed a patch day fix in years. :D

Plus now he just takes the normal threat UI and repackages it into an easier to see format, so Omen is easier to patch it seems. As a tank, I recommend it whole heartedly.
Alright, you got me. =)

notworksafe

For addons lesse...I use:

Mapster for a resizable world map
Omen for threat meter
Quartz for better castbars
Deadly Boss Mods to remember raid boss timers
Bagnon for a one-bag solution
Auctionator for posting auctions.
Sexymap for minimap customization

That's it really. Perhaps not all are essential, but I've gotten used to them over the years.

EDIT: Also WoW-Pro for old world leveling, but that will not be needed when the next patch hits.

I think I'll get Omen and Deadly Boss.

I may also get something for bags--does the one you mentioned also auto-sell all your gray loot? That was my favorite add-on from back in the day, but I don't have any clue what add-on it was on!

im still praying we would get updated skyboxes and character models, but I am losing faith. fuck.

as it is now, they could really do another 6 months to make the "makeover" more extreme and significant.

I could wait for this until summer, for certain more substantial visual and engine improvements... but it seems everyone is bored to death on live.

notworksafe said:
Doesn't do auto-sell. It does one-bag and lets you see any characters bag or bank without having to switch toons.

This addon looks like it might do the auto-sell you want: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/sell-o-matic.aspx

Slippery slope, indeed. :D
Nope! I'm not going to do it! Not going to get sucked in to the add-on world.

But I really ought to get something for healing...............

Edit: Yes, updated character models would make my freaking day. I'm constantly tempted to change my tauren to an orc, but I just hold out hope that one day, the taurens will be updated and I'll be happy with his look. But orc warriors just look so much slicker than taurens!

AFKevin

Neo Member
So i've been wondering for awhile, what's the best way to target what the tank is targetting without having to use /assist? I've had some threat issues recently, due to me attacking the mob the tank isn't fighting, and was wondering what's the easiest way to do this during a instance?

Kintaco

It's starting! One addon leads to two, which leads to three and so on!! :lol I was totally addicted to my addons before the 4.0.1 patch, but after it my game started running like shit even though I was only running updated addons. Granted I did have a lot of them. I disabled them all and now my game runs 10x better with better graphic options selected as well. I will miss my sexy UI but I prefer a sexy game environment. I will try one addon at a time and try to find a nice middle ground. And running the game fullscreen seems to eat less resources than windowed>fullscreen

notworksafe

AFKevin said:
So i've been wondering for awhile, what's the best way to target what the tank is targetting without having to use /assist? I've had some threat issues recently, due to me attacking the mob the tank isn't fighting, and was wondering what's the easiest way to do this during a instance?
Keep target of target on. Then you'll know exactly what he's focused on.

Kintaco

AFKevin said:
F2-F5 Whatever corresponds to the tank, the F? I mainly hit Tab to target a mob, then F to target tank, then F again for tank's target, but maybe I'm doing it wrong myself. :D

Retro

Seconding (or thirding?) Omen, it's indisposable.

I run pretty lean on Addons too; CT for extra Hotbars (I like lots of space between my buttons and it allows for great hotkey configurations anyways), Deadly Boss Mods for raiding, Titan (just to keep vital information lumped together) and Omen, of course.

For my paladin I'm also using HolyTrinity so I don't have to glance up at my portrait to check Holy Power.

Edit: Tanking without Target of Target on is next to impossible, and being a responsible group member means turning it on too. Since the tank should have aggro on anything that isn't obviously CCd or Off-tanked, just targetting the mob and pressing 'F' twice usually does the trick; assist to target the tank, assist to target tank's target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom