• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
sykoex said:
Wow they really need to tone down low level tank DPS. Every random I jump in, the tank is 1st on dps (warriors, pallys, and druids) and everything dies before even 1 tick of my Corruption or Bane of Agony. So demoralizing.

I remember when i lvled my warrior as prot with heirloom gear prior to 4.0.1... i could do 50% of all damage all by myself. You would look at Recount with me doing 2x more damage than our best DPS. :lol No idea if its better or worst now.

Bisnic said:
I remember when i lvled my warrior as prot with heirloom gear prior to 4.0.1... i could do 50% of all damage all by myself. You would look at Recount with me doing 2x more damage than our best DPS. :lol No idea if its better or worst now.
Yeah as a leveling DK I was 1 up until around 75 or so and that was because I got stuck with troll butcher. My druid is massively ahead when bear tanking and with Maul glyph hitting another target its even higher :lol

Narag

No Horseman's reins (although 4 loot items had me excited when I opened the bag. No Reins of the Raven Lord. Did get my Swift White Hawkstrider after all these years. Not bad.

LaserBuddha said:
Hey guys, I'm not getting a whole lot of help in the PC thread so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm getting dragged back into WoW and need a new system (including monitor). My goal is to run everythign at max settings with 60fps (though I know I'll never get that in Dalaran). I'm going through Dell mostly because I can get financing and would like to just get this system now and pay it off when my tax return comes in. I fully understand the pros of building my own system.

Below are 2 systems I've configured. The video card isn't a big deal to me since I would be upgrading it sometime in the coming year, as long as what I start with won't be a bottle neck. Also note that I'll be getting another $75 off the price listed below through my employer.

Anyway, I would like to know what you guys think of these. The first one seems better to me but the second one has a better proc (which I guess is the most important thing for WoW but I'll be playing other games too).

Studio XPS 7100 - $1219.99
PROCESSOR AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T (2.7GHz/9MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
MONITOR Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™

Studio XPS 8100 - $1207.99
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-760 processor(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
MONITOR Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

System 1 by far.

Anyone here with ATI 4870x2 or simmilar card and getting really low fps?
I got almost all on max, shadows on on high and fps is like 20-30 depening on zones, goes up in some down in others :|
I tried changing some settings a bit but never gained more then 5 fps.

Always had low fps problem but now it seems more extreme and gotta fix it ffs, it's not a shitty card to have such bad fps. Maybe it's CPU speed since WoW uses it more(quad core 2.66ghz, overclocking tomorrow to hopefully fix that)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Narag said:
No Horseman's reins (although 4 loot items had me excited when I opened the bag. No Reins of the Raven Lord. Did get my Swift White Hawkstrider after all these years. Not bad.
I started running these on my Blood DK. I have no idea what Kael'thas actually does, but he died anyways :lol

It's kind of time consuming to kill these bosses though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
Got a question for assassination rogues.

I know people usually suggest to have a Fast offhand for deadly poison proc, but i just got a 2nd http://www.wowhead.com/item=50203, already had one for main hand.

I'm using http://www.wowhead.com/item=49807 for offhand with its 1.5 speed.

But should i stick with a 219 dagger that have 1.5 speed, or go with a 232 dagger with 1.8? Hm..
I thought the rule was, "use whatever has the most weapon dps,"

notworksafe said:
Do it! They are very simple.
Unless you are a class with stealth, it takes an hour or so to do both, not to mention you need a) to do a quest and normal MGT to access Heroic, and b) you need honored with Lower city to do Sethekk. It was kind of annoying since I had neither and took a good 3 hours to get both of those done.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
Unless you are a class with stealth, it takes an hour or so to do both, not to mention you need a) to do a quest and normal MGT to access Heroic, and b) you need honored with Lower city to do Sethekk. It was kind of annoying since I had neither and took a good 3 hours to get both of those done.
Ooh, right. That. Well it isn't too hard to do really. Plus the possible mount rewards are too awesome to pass up!

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Ooh, right. That. Well it isn't too hard to do really. Plus the possible mount rewards are too awesome to pass up!
You mean the 1 and 3% chances at mount rewards.

I do them anyways since there's nothing else to do, really, but don't get your hopes too high. The drop rate of the Raven Lord is the same as the Deathcharger.

I would like to get a real rare mount on a non-DK, but soloing is so fucking easy on my DK I just don't bother trying to figure out how to somehow get through MGT or Sethekk on my warrior/mage.

9t0m5f.jpg

wat.

Sciz

Angry Grimace said:
An hour? Maybe if you're doing full clears, but a quick start-to-finish run of either one takes 10-15 minutes. You can just walk right past most pulls in both of them.

Acidote

I'm noticing something weird with the horseman drops afeter the reset on my server. I did it with my DK and everyone in the party got the broom and a mask.

I did it with my shaman right afterwards and everyone got the same drops again, a broom and a mask :lol

At least I finally got something on my characters. Something I already had with my main from last year.

I also did MGT, Attumen, Anzu and a few baron runs. I'm doing them again today and zul gurub tiger/raptor instead of attumen.

Angry Grimace

Acidote said:
I'm noticing something weird with the horseman drops afeter the reset on my server. I did it with my DK and everyone in the party got the broom and a mask.

I did it with my shaman right afterwards and everyone got the same drops again, a broom and a mask :lol

At least I finally got something on my characters. Something I already had with my main from last year.

I also did MGT, Attumen, Anzu and a few baron runs. I'm doing them again today and zul gurub tiger/raptor instead of attumen.
I was also remiss in failing to mention that you could easily do Attumen on your own.

I wonder if at 85 with 100000K health, you could solo Kael in the Eye :lol

Acidote

Angry Grimace said:
I was also remiss in failing to mention that you could easily do Attumen on your own.

I wonder if at 85 with 100000K health, you could solo Kael in the Eye :lol

I don't think we'll be able to solo Kael being the encounter as it is.

Angry Grimace

Acidote said:
I don't think we'll be able to solo Kael being the encounter as it is.
Very few bosses M/C characters when there are no other characters in the party, though. It's part of their programming that they can't do it do to the fact they can't attack themselves.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So my rogue has made it to lvl17 on Alliance side (saving my tauren paladin for cataclysm). Since I've never made it this far in WoW, where is a really good place to train up and get xp? I'm on Defias Brotherhood (EU) so grouping won't be an issue but pvp will. I don't know a thing about dungeons or when they start but I'm in the level range for some in the group-finder so it must beat getting my ass kicked by Defias in Westfall.

Also one last question about armour: the game I came from has equipment sets every ten levels (1-10 is iron armour, 1-20 is steel etc) so when is a good time to get new gear and is it really as spread out across the world as it seems? Thanks

Oh, and I was on a boat. Then I dinged with candy.

Angry Grimace

Acidote said:
I have to try soloing Molten Core with my shaman. Curses were my problem and now we dispel them.
I suppose what we can and can't solo in Cataclysm depends on where combat ratings go. Blood tanks with 120000HP healing for 10+% health every DS (+ Blood Shields) might be able to wreck most level 70 bosses and even some level 80s.

Acidote

That's one of the portals to the Emerald Dream. And the Emerald Dreams isn't in trouble anymore lorewise (comics, novel, or wherever they did it).

Hixx

DeathNote said:
What's the next logical expansion?

I think a dragon guards a portal somewhere in old world. Hinterlands?

There's 4 of them, they used to be world bosses. 2 of them are dead in Cata, 2 are involved in some quests.

Dina

I wonder too. I was always thinking the Emerald Dream. Maybe an intrusion into the Burning Legion realm? Uber-baddy Sargeras is still undefeated. Wasn't he the driving force behind Varimathras' betrayal?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Acidote said:
That's one of the portals to the Emerald Dream. And the Emerald Dreams isn't in trouble anymore lorewise (comics, novel, or wherever they did it).
It sounds like it'd be old world unaltered by races?

Rokam

The way I see it as far as expansions go.

Next Expansion: 85-90: Rest of the zones located on the sea as well as Emerald Dream (if there is anything left to purge). Basically clean up the rest of Azeroth. Main boss being Queen Azshara.

And Last Expansion: 90-100: Return to Outlands and go through the portals to the various demon homeworlds to dismantle the legion. Would include Kil'Jaeden and obviously Sargaeras.

If they did another after this then an entire Titan themed expansion.

Soule

So yesterday I got an Eye of the Storm achievement in Arathi Basin... hmmm I wonder if they'll take it off me, thought it was a bug and would disappear today but nope still there...

TheFallen

So, I started playing again last week. The grind from 70-80 seems like it's gonna be a long one. Does anyone have tips for speeding it up on a Paladin?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Has anyone ever logged out in one zone and then when they go to log back in had the character moved? Happened to an alt the other day, and now my DK was in Terrokar when I logged in Shattrath.

markot

Banned
Ikuu said:
Has anyone ever logged out in one zone and then when they go to log back in had the character moved? Happened to an alt the other day, and now my DK was in Terrokar when I logged in Shattrath.

Never happened to me >.<

Well, outside of the small server rollbacks youd sometimes get when servers were really buggy back in the days of yore.

bill0527

TheFallen said:
So, I started playing again last week. The grind from 70-80 seems like it's gonna be a long one. Does anyone have tips for speeding it up on a Paladin?

Do some dungeons along the way. It breaks up the monotony of solo questing and gives nice xp. You also don't notice your xp bar moving when you're in dungeons because you're too busy. I found that when I was out solo questing, I'd stare at that xp bar all the time and it felt like it wasn't moving.

I'm assuming you don't have access to any bind on account gear that gives xp bonus, but that helped a lot in getting my alts through the wrath leveling grind.

Adamm

mclem said:
One of our ex-guildies got Damage Control (http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=227 - do 300,000 damage or healing in a BG). In Ulduar.

She still has it now.
This happened to some one in our guild some time ago also - it was on the XT fight.

Some one said it was because of the lights bombs damage friendly players counts as PvP damage & the game treats any instance as a BG. Although they could have just wanted to sound like they knew what they were talking about.

Was still funny at the time though :lol

Fularu

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
Both of those setups are rip offs, typical with Dell though

Building your own PC and having it assembled will be cheaper and more powerfull than either of those combinations.

At worst if you're not dead on using a 24" screen, Asus Republic Of Gamers laptops offer better performances for a lesser price (and pack in HD5870 video cards and I7 processors).

Both of the systems you show are really, really lacking, especially in the video card segment

Interfectum

TheFallen said:

queue up in dungeon finder while you are questing. also, queue up for battlegrounds on the weekend for whichever battleground holiday it is. (just saw that this weekend is AV weekend... MEGA XP for winning that battleground daily)

Call to Arms Schedule: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/events/calendar/

JORMBO

Darkness no more
TheFallen said:

I started about 3 weeks ago again at level 70 thinking it would take forever. I'm 10% away from 80 and I don't play that much. If your side wins in BGs a lot queue up during holidays. I've gotten most of my XP doing PVP stuff, and I'll have enough honor to grab a few epic peices when I hit 80 tonight.

During the week my rest has built up a bit so I just do dungeon finder. Since the patch the queue times have gone from like 30 minutes for DPS to around 10 minutes.

For questing I've done after half of the first zone, 1/4th of the second zone and the rest of my levels have come from BGs/Dungeons. Much funner.

Garryk

The only thing I need for the Hallowed achievement is the Hallowed helm. Done the Horseman 4 times now and all I have to show for it is a flimsy mask and some JPs.

After the latest patch I heard it takes loads amount of runs to get points for one heirloom, have they hot fixed that at all? I am contemplating about resubbing so I can work on a few heirlooms for a cataclysm toon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom