• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

DeathNote said:
What were pallys like in Vanilla? I didn't pay much attention as horde

Put it this way:

Whenever there's one of those periodic posts on the various suggesting forums asking why Blizzard don't create a L60-capped server, because the game was so much better back then, I *know* the writer never played a pally.

Sheer force of will - and some sympathetic and damn good healers - meant I got a few minor raid tanking roles; mainly MC adds, although there may be a boss or two mixed in there. I was in the minority by some margin; the vast majority of pallies cleansed, healed, and buffed - continually, when they were at the 5-min duration.

Setreal

So I just reinstalled WOTLK off my retail disc and it's taking forever to download the patch to 4.0 (and I know there's one for 4.1 after too!). I already forwarded the appropriate ports and made sure my firewall wasn't blocking anything but no luck. Is there any better way to do this than the official downloader?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Setreal said:
So I just reinstalled WOTLK off my retail disc and it's taking forever to download the patch to 4.0 (and I know there's one for 4.1 after too!). I already forwarded the appropriate ports and made sure my firewall wasn't blocking anything but no luck. Is there any better way to do this than the official downloader?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors

Alex

The days of Enhancement Shaman being the PvP god with Windfury and a slow 2H seem so far away.

I remember doing Ret on my Paladin towards the back half of Vanilla, I got that 2H axe off of Patchwerk and PvP was kinda fun with it in the way that a slot machine can be fun.

As for a 1-60 Classic server, I don't want to be overly mean, but anyone who wants this is a stupid person.

notworksafe

mclem said:
Sheer force of will - and some sympathetic and damn good healers - meant I got a few minor raid tanking roles; mainly MC adds, although there may be a boss or two mixed in there. I was in the minority by some margin; the vast majority of pallies cleansed, healed, and buffed - continually, when they were at the 5-min duration.
Wow, that's impressive. I remember bringing up the idea of Paladin tanking to my guild at the time.

They just laughed at me. :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
Depends how vanilla you mean. I remember early on you didn't even get Blessing of Sanc, you had to have one poor bastard spec into Protection for it.

I never want to think of Vanilla again :lol I had plenty of good times and it was a more than competent game back then, but for me WoW really took into it's own with TBC and beyond.

I remember getting a stomach virus way back then, and it was my last time really putting any actual nerd hours into an MMO, but I did a pretty good job climbing that honor ladder with it. Talk about pain. Had to stick around in Ashenvale the whole time, 20 minute queues, top end honor ranks up, TOTAL time sink.

So glad that that kind of shit is dead and gone, except for the occasional crazy Asian MMO.
Found a talent tree lol http://www.gamestool.net/tc/wow112/paladint.php

Alex

Divine Strength in deep holy :lol I love it. Oh wow, I forgot altogether that Righteous Fury used to be a Seal.

How nostalgic.

Alex

They're 5x what they were before the patch because of their stupid normalization for heirlooms that makes no sense to anyone.

Narag

Alex said:
They're 5x what they were before the patch because of their stupid normalization for heirlooms that makes no sense to anyone.

Old price at the Argent Tournament though, right?

My favorite past version of Pallies was some time in BC when they were just stubbornly hard to kill. In a Battleground, if you were coming up to a capture objective and you saw a lone Paladin with a shield, you'd just become crestfallen, say "Ahh fuck" and try to find something else more productive to do.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Am i the only one getting stuck in loading screens for instances? Happened twice today on my rogue... forcing me to use alt+f4. Only to log 1 min later and find out i was removed from the group. Either people are REALLY fucking impatient, or the loading screen glitch automatically remove you from the group. The worst is getting a dungeon debuff before joining the queue again.

Rokam

Bisnic said:
Am i the only one getting stuck in loading screens for instances? Happened twice today on my rogue... forcing me to use alt+f4. Only to log 1 min later and find one i was removed from the group. Either people are REALLY fucking impatient, or the loading screen glitch automatically remove you from the group. The worst is getting a dungeon debuff before joining the queue again.

Yeah I get it as well, but it's only if I physically enter the instance, doesn't happen if I do it through group finder.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Bisnic said:
Am i the only one getting stuck in loading screens for instances? Happened twice today on my rogue... forcing me to use alt+f4. Only to log 1 min later and find one i was removed from the group. Either people are REALLY fucking impatient, or the loading screen glitch automatically remove you from the group. The worst is getting a dungeon debuff before joining the queue again.

Constantly getting this. I always ask, "Are we all here? :p " before starting when I'm tanking heroics now.

Speaking of tanking, can anyone shed some light on how much avoidance we should be shooting for after the patch?

Flib

hatehatehate old Org, lovelovelove new org

BRC is tuned really low for normal (as it's the first non-wrath dungeon to do), and is fantastic on heroic

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I got hacked for the first time after playing for such a long time.

I don't think it was a keylogger. The hacker found out about my BNet email address, accessed it somehow by setting a security question, and changed my BNet password from there. Went through my bank alt's guild bank, mostly frostweave bags, cloths, and enchant mats. The sad part is the fucktard pilfered my main's guild bank, which thankfully isn't that lucrative to begin with. He withdrew all the BOE blues that no one in the guild seems to care about anyway :lol

Had my characters restored a few hours later. Found out that he bought a lot of epic gems with my bank alt's money, and they're still sitting there in one of my toons, along with the money he spent :D

So I think I'll be able to make amends with everyone in the guild by placing stacks of epic red and orange gems in the bank, no? :lol

And yeah, no authenticator, since Blizzard is half a world away from where I play, and I don't have an iPhone nor an iPod touch, nor an Android phone, and my phone isn't in the list of available phones for the mobile authenticator thing.

I'm still unsure how he was able to access my email account via the security question, though. In any case, I created a new email account for BNet and changed my passwords and security questions

McNei1y

I recently rerolled with some friends as a Dwarf Warrior. I specced Arms because I wanted to try it. I've done a Fury Warrior up to level 60 through RAF so I wanted something new. I have to say that arms is awesome! I am always at the top of DMG charts. I get a MS off, then a HS, then an execute when all works out and everything gets easier with Victory Rush!

Is Arms a big thing in end game? I'm only 32 but I can see myself enjoying this even more when I get Bladestorm.

SnakeswithLasers said:
So...

Is it retarded of me to consider replacing: http://www.wowhead.com/item=37401

With: http://www.wowhead.com/item=49807

I mean...it kinda seems ... better. What am I missing?

You get no attack power from the Agility, so there's that downside. I'm assuming you're a warrior because they're the only tanking class that can use swords and daggers. If you got that dagger and used it, I'd only roll my eyes at it and assume you didn't have anything proper. Do not seek this thing out as a replacement, though. It's not a tanking weapon.

Hixx

Flib said:
hatehatehate old Org, lovelovelove new org

BRC is tuned really low for normal (as it's the first non-wrath dungeon to do), and is fantastic on heroic

All well and good being tuned to be forgiving as its the first dungeon but being able to flat out ignore mechanics is shoddy. The Corla fight we IGNORED the beams and just zerged her down, shouldn't be able to.

Dina

Ah, WoW vanilla. I remember getting a Fury spec while running Molten Core for some debuff or buff i've forgotten. Was sporting mad Scholomance weapons right until BWL. So fun.

Lumine

Aww I completely forgout about the horseman mount. It's the mount I always wanted the most and I grinded like crazy for it on my main previous years. I got an exam next week though, and resubscribing right now would probably be the most stupid thing I could do. Can't believe they actually up the drop rate for it this year.

mclem

HixxSAFC said:
All well and good being tuned to be forgiving as its the first dungeon but being able to flat out ignore mechanics is shoddy. The Corla fight we IGNORED the beams and just zerged her down, shouldn't be able to.

How are you geared?

Do bear in mind that the normal dungeons need to be playable for people who've *just* levelled to 80 (or, presumably, 78?) and haven't had any time to accumulate serious gear.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, just steamrolled through the Hallow's End achievements on my paladin this year. Seems the pet and helm have been dropping a lot more often this year judging by how many guildies have been getting them, and ditto for the mount.

Dunlop

Mr Nash said:
Man, just steamrolled through the Hallow's End achievements on my paladin this year. Seems the pet and helm have been dropping a lot more often this year judging by how many guildies have been getting them, and ditto for the mount.

Just got the achieve on both my toons this morning

We dropped heroic Prof Puticide last night...that was satisfying

Hixx

mclem said:
How are you geared?

Do bear in mind that the normal dungeons need to be playable for people who've *just* levelled to 80 (or, presumably, 78?) and haven't had any time to accumulate serious gear.

You spend 1hr in Hyjal or Vashj'ir and you'll be in pretty decent gear.

tank was in hyjal/vashj'ir gear. I was in... 232-245 still level 80 (MUCH less than the gear from even the starting quests in Cata, replaced Abracadaver after 20 mins in Hyjal :lol ), our Worgen DK was in WotLK blues/greens and our healer (who wasn't great, he created our only wipe by just not healing at all on the 3rd boss. Fight went on for a minute and he had 25k healing done -_-) a mix of cata greens and 219's-232s. Hunter I didn't pay attention but he was doing about 4k dps but he was level 82 and dinged 83 inside.

Just as an example, trash hp is about 100k. There are named quest mobs who have 80k that are designed to be solo'd. You can say its designed for people in terrible gear but it was just inconsequential. Like running a wotlk normal in full ICC25 HM gear. It was the first time any of us had been in and we had 0 problems apart from the fight when the healer decided to be... I don't even know what he was doing.

You can't queue for BRC till 80 and you need to find the entrance which comes from a quest a bit into Hyjal when you'll probably have 3-4 new pieces of 264+ ilvl gear from quests. I can see it being cool on heroic, I imagine Beauty, Corla and the last boss being quite interesting but I hope the rest of the dungeons while levelling aren't as easy.

Having to find the new instances is also a bit annoying. If you decide to quest in Hyjal first its going to be a pain in the arse to get to Throne of the Tides.

itxaka

Defeatist
Stupid random loot. Farmed the brewfest content and got shit out of it.

Made 4 runs at halloween and got the mount on the first one and the helm and pet on the third one.

Anyway, one old question that I forgot to ask like a couple of years. With my first toon I found on a random mob while leveling an orange bow. What was it? I remember trying to sell it and nobody wanted it and I couldn't use bow back then on my pj. What is an orange item and how it can drop from a normal mob?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just hit 80. Bought 4 PVP epics, had 2 HH Rings and got 2 more epics in the first 2 heroics I ran. I also have almost enough JP to get another item. So far I have 8 epics in an hour of hitting 80 :lol

J-Rzez

Darkness said:
Just hit 80. Bought 4 PVP epics, had 2 HH Rings and got 2 more epics in the first 2 heroics I ran. I also have almost enough JP to get another item. So far I have 8 epics in an hour of hitting 80 :lol

Yeah, it's not a bad time to hit endgame now. Especially if you're melee you can snag an "OK" weapon or two immediately if you have the honor banked with a T1 Wrathful weapon. Optimal, naw, better than some green or blue, you bet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
J-Rzez said:
Yeah, it's not a bad time to hit endgame now. Especially if you're melee you can snag an "OK" weapon or two immediately if you have the honor banked with a T1 Wrathful weapon. Optimal, naw, better than some green or blue, you bet.

Those weapons are still better than some epic weapons you can get in reg ICC 5 mans at least. My 219 dagger looks like shit compared to that 264 PVP one. Should have enough honor later today for the offhand one that is only ~700 honor.

Too bad there is no more Wintergrasp commendations, or whatever its called, that we could buy with only 30 stone keeper shards for 2000 BOA honor. I would have bought some from my mains and just send them to my rogue. :lol

JORMBO

Darkness no more
J-Rzez said:

I'm a Warlock. I grabbed the robe and shoulders to not look like a noob. Then I grabbed the wand and OH since they are cheap. Bumped my resilience up quite a bit. I'm going to shoot for a weapon from a heroic for now.

Maybe if I can play a lot I can grab a wrathful weapon with AV weekend. Although alliance seems to suck. And on my horde character in a differenet BG the horde suck. I can't win! :lol

mclem

HixxSAFC said:
Having to find the new instances is also a bit annoying. If you decide to quest in Hyjal first its going to be a pain in the arse to get to Throne of the Tides.

Hmmm, that's a bit of a side-thought: Does *everyone* in the group need to have found their way to the dungeon to get in?

Also, it'd probably be really handy to be given a critical path guide for the quests leading up to the first few dungeons - usually by early evening on expansion day the servers are filling up in a big way and it'd be nice to be able to bail into dungeons at that point.

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
So...

Is it retarded of me to consider replacing: http://www.wowhead.com/item=37401

With: http://www.wowhead.com/item=49807

I mean...it kinda seems ... better. What am I missing?

That's a rogue sword, you can't really do much with agility or haste, and crit isn't particularly important. Agility does give some mitigation, but I wouldn't trade that personally (though I don't play any tanks who use one-handed swords besides a level 63 pally i have parked).

itxaka said:
Stupid random loot. Farmed the brewfest content and got shit out of it.

Made 4 runs at halloween and got the mount on the first one and the helm and pet on the third one.

Anyway, one old question that I forgot to ask like a couple of years. With my first toon I found on a random mob while leveling an orange bow. What was it? I remember trying to sell it and nobody wanted it and I couldn't use bow back then on my pj. What is an orange item and how it can drop from a normal mob?

I think you may have been confusing the color orange for something else, those are legendary items and the only legendary bow in the game dropped from a boss in TBC

Meier

I really hate the hunter changes. Glad i was deciding to level up a warlock.. up to 57 with him now. It's funny, when I was a little lower, I would do top DPS in dungeons but now I am doing so much less than others. :lol Obviously Affliction doesn't do much up front and the stuff dies so fast. Oh well, I know at 80, Warlocks are usually topping the charts (well, were.. now mages do, right?) so I'm looking forward to it.

TomServo

notworksafe said:
What the heck was Blizzard thinking? :lol

When it comes to Vanilla, it was simply Tigole and Furor using WoW as their playground for what they wanted EQ to be when they were players. Both were hardcore raiders in a game whose raid made Vanilla WoW look like MMO-lite. Also, Tigole in particular had a disdain for hybrid classes in general.

As a 60 shaman, I got disgusted with it shortly before Naxx40 and quit, not to return until the end of BC. I really wonder what happened to make the direction of the game change. I always figured it was Activision pulling his leash in.

Hixx

mclem said:
Hmmm, that's a bit of a side-thought: Does *everyone* in the group need to have found their way to the dungeon to get in?

Also, it'd probably be really handy to be given a critical path guide for the quests leading up to the first few dungeons - usually by early evening on expansion day the servers are filling up in a big way and it'd be nice to be able to bail into dungeons at that point.

Vashj'ir has been bugged since I got into the beta so I've still not found TotT.

But I think you can still queue for a random dungeon if you haven't found any yet, but actually picking it from the LFG, it has similar locks to the 'xxx needs better gear to enter this instance' afaik.

Flib

HixxSAFC said:
You spend 1hr in Hyjal or Vashj'ir and you'll be in pretty decent gear.

tank was in hyjal/vashj'ir gear. I was in... 232-245 still level 80 (MUCH less than the gear from even the starting quests in Cata, replaced Abracadaver after 20 mins in Hyjal :lol ), our Worgen DK was in WotLK blues/greens and our healer (who wasn't great, he created our only wipe by just not healing at all on the 3rd boss. Fight went on for a minute and he had 25k healing done -_-) a mix of cata greens and 219's-232s. Hunter I didn't pay attention but he was doing about 4k dps but he was level 82 and dinged 83 inside.

Just as an example, trash hp is about 100k. There are named quest mobs who have 80k that are designed to be solo'd. You can say its designed for people in terrible gear but it was just inconsequential. Like running a wotlk normal in full ICC25 HM gear. It was the first time any of us had been in and we had 0 problems apart from the fight when the healer decided to be... I don't even know what he was doing.

You can't queue for BRC till 80 and you need to find the entrance which comes from a quest a bit into Hyjal when you'll probably have 3-4 new pieces of 264+ ilvl gear from quests. I can see it being cool on heroic, I imagine Beauty, Corla and the last boss being quite interesting but I hope the rest of the dungeons while levelling aren't as easy.

Have you done the other dungeons yet? They aren't nearly as easy (barring maybe Vortex Pinnacle). I'm ok with regular leveling dungeons being not that hard, but that's disappointing if BRC is so undertuned. I wonder if they nerfed it.

I have the achievement for it on my druid, but I don't really remember much about it as I was blackout drunk at the time, so I guess maybe you're right! I think my roommate healed it as well, and he was in the same state as I was. Maybe I'll try it on my level 80 this weekend if I have a chance (sober).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom