• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EekTheKat

Question :

Being on a PvE server, am I actually obliged to try save every alliance member that's PVP flagged outside of the usual PVP zones ?

I pretty much go out of my way to avoid getting PvP flagged, especially when I'm questing.

My toon still has the questgiver in Dalaran that sends you to Sholazar Basin via Gyrocopter alive, so I can pretty much avoid flying over WG any time I need to get across

If it was someone I knew I probably would've done it, but then again everyone on this server is playing an alt these days and expect beneficial treatment from their "friends" even if they don't tell you who their alts are.

FLEABttn

Banned
EekTheKat said:
Question :

Being on a PvE server, am I actually obliged to try save every alliance member that's PVP flagged outside of the usual PVP zones ?

No, you're not obligated to help people who are too dumb to prevent being flagged or flag themselves by choice.

Infinitemadness said:
Agreed 100%. Guess very few people get attached to their character like I do. SO many pets, over 100 mounts, almost 9K Achievement points.

Well some people may not care for that stuff and that's cool but there's a lot of once-in-a-lifetime stuff one can get on a character in WoW.

I've tried and I personally cannot stand rerolling. I have a few alts I like playing but I just can't stick with them in the long run.

Although they're introducing a new expansion where the main selling point IS to reroll and enjoy the new 1-60 experience. I think quite a few raiding guilds will shut down for a while as people reroll worgen/goblin etc.

EekTheKat

FLEABttn said:
No, you're not obligated to help people who are too dumb to prevent being flagged or flag themselves by choice.

Yeah that's what I thought, but this particular person got extremely pissed at me for minding my own business fishing (while typing out an email for work in another window). Instead of jumping in to help him getting violated by 2 or 3 horde.

Oh well, I just tossed the guy on ignore and went on my way to finish the rest of my quest cycles.

edit - Personally I never expect anyone to jump in and save me, not would I ever drag whatever mess I created onto someone else who's minding their own business fishing in a PvE zone.

Like many others, I have accidentally flagged myself in the past and have gotten jumped. But whenever I did get jumped I've always either just took the death or use some creative methods of escape. The last time someone jumped me while I was fishing Terrorfish for the WG daily, and I just jumped off of a cliff and just levitated down.

You did the right thing. Just like real life, people shouldn't stupidly get themselves in a mess and then expect other people to bail them out.

notworksafe

Oddly enough I find myself doing more world PVP on a PVE server then I did on a PVP server. Of course I am playing better class for it (Prot Paladin as opposed to Resto Shaman or SPriest) so that may be part of it.

Sciz

FLEABttn said:
( -> leveled up a shaman to 80 to replace our heroism, turns out they're just awful to play at 80 unless you like overly complex rotations)

Thinking I'll stick with the hunter for Cata unless they make enhancement shammy not awful to play.
What rotation?

Ashodin

FLEABttn said:
In my case, it's been out of necessity, aside from a couple of changes.

Vanilla: Rogue
TBC: Rogue
WotLK: Ret Paladin-> didn't like how they played -> DK -> Changed server and faction before faction transfers -> Warrior -> faction transfer -> DK -> raid had too much melee and plate -> Hunter ( -> leveled up a shaman to 80 to replace our heroism, turns out they're just awful to play at 80 unless you like overly complex rotations)

Thinking I'll stick with the hunter for Cata unless they make enhancement shammy not awful to play.
One thing that is always wanted often is ranged DPS. With the DK addition, melee being wanted has gone down a lot, and that really irks me as a Ret Pally, it's had to get into places because melee deeps spots fill up fast.

Maxrpg said:
One thing that is always wanted often is ranged DPS. With the DK addition, melee being wanted has gone down a lot, and that really irks me as a Ret Pally, it's had to get into places because melee deeps spots fill up fast.

Ret paladins are a dime a dozen, man.

ezekial45

Banned
I've decided to roll goblin shaman for Cataclysm, the heirlooms are ready. Does anyone here have a habit of stockpiling a lot of things way before the expansion hits? I have also cut back on raiding and worked on getting my reputations up.

Infinitemadness said:
Agreed 100%. Guess very few people get attached to their character like I do. SO many pets, over 100 mounts, almost 9K Achievement points.

I know how that feels. I have played my paladin since the early stages of the game. I have another warrior that I play occasionally. With this new character that I will be playing, the best part of the expansion will be experienced. Taking up an alt, who may become a main, might help you appreciate:D your rogue more!

Ashodin

funkmastergeneral said:
Ret paladins are a dime a dozen, man.
Which REALLY fucken sucks, because I was Ret before ret was cool. And hopefully with Holy Power, it will definitely delineate the difference between amazing ret pallies and shitty facerollers (which will then allow other players to gauge how good a ret pally is)

Entropia

No One Remembers
Blah, I don't think I'll ever be getting Bane of the Fallen King, my 10 man stopped running about 4 weeks ago. We had 5 people show up the night we were going to try H LK for the 2nd week. :|

Yazus

New info about Cata and patch 3.9 from World of Raids

Patch 3.9 and preparing for Cataclysm's release

* Patch 3.9 will introduce the Cataclysm world event, which will begin taking place and culminate a few weeks before the expansion releases, with the Cataclysmic destruction actually taking place at that point.
* The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches.
* The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available.
* Blizzard is still trying to decide whether Archaeology will come out before or when World of Warcraft: Cataclysm releases.
* 80-85 content and the Goblin and Worgen races will not be available until release day.

Cataclysm Raids & Dungeons

* The balance of high level content (heroics and raids especially) for Cataclysm is going to shift a bit more towards the "hardcore" crowd. Outdoor mob difficulty, heroic modes available immediately, etc.
* There's a bit more enforced progression so that most players don't skip immediately from normal dungeons to raids.
* Chilton wishes there could be more difficulty modes for raids than just normal and heroic. Maybe 3 or 4 modes to offer appropriate challenges. It's not something they can do right now, but he can imagine them doing it in the future.
* Blizzard will continue supporting 25-player raids for the people that like it. They're also going to make sure 25-player raids are appropriately rewarded. At least equivalently, and in most cases better rewarded.

Other

* The Battle for Gilneas was already significantly redesigned before even becoming available in the closed beta, based on internal testing feedback. Blizzard deemed the original design "unsalvageable."
* It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore.
* Sylvanas is trying to "ensure the future of the Forsaken". With the death of the Lich King and no plague to spread, she had to find alternate means to keep the Forsaken from becoming extinct.
* The Emerald Dream is still something Blizzard wants to do. It might end up being part of Caverns of Time if they want to revisit it in a past setting.
* Housing will be introduced to WoW some time right after "never".
* The release date is at midnight on the first Tuesday after it's done! (This was a joke but also seriously, obviously)

So... no more badge farming and jump on the ICC bandwagon? Sounds ok

Rambaldi

That stuff seems interesting. I like how they're kinda giving it a "real time" feel to the Cataclysm. I guess it'll be kinda like a PS1 disc switch: "questing, questing, INSTALL CATACLYSM TO CONTINUE, cutscene, continue playing (after patching for 4 hours.)"

I'm stoked about 3.9 though. I'm still hope for late September / very early October. :3

mclem

I assume 4.0 hits at the moment that the cataclysm takes place, then.

This does raise a couple of interesting questions, most notably for me: Does guild levelling arrive with 4.0? It strikes me that a useful thing guilds could do during the pre-expansion doldrums would be to form smaller groups and polish off some of those guild achievements in old content, particularly the ones relating to completing 5-mans in a guild group and early raids. Would be nice to get a significant proportion of them out of the way before the new 80+ content opens up, and in doing so also give us a couple of levels out of the gate.

Hixx

New 1-60 being available before Cata launches removes my decision on who to level first when Cata does indeed go live then. Excellent!

TomServo

Holy shit... I just discovered mouseover macros on my priest. I've always hated healbot / grid / clique, so I've always suffered having to click a raid frame, throw a heal, then go back to my focus.

No wonder I hated healing.

Yaweee

I'll probably be resuming my account, if not actively playing, once the 3.9 patch hits. I want to see the change take place!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully, patch 3.9 isn't like 2-3 months away. Playing WoW currently isn't very fun. All i'm doing is lvling the professions of my alts and the heroic daily on all my high lvls. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Yazus said:
New info about Cata and patch 3.9 from World of Raids

Patch 3.9 and preparing for Cataclysm's release

* Patch 3.9 will introduce the Cataclysm world event, which will begin taking place and culminate a few weeks before the expansion releases, with the Cataclysmic destruction actually taking place at that point.
* The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches.
* The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available.
* Blizzard is still trying to decide whether Archaeology will come out before or when World of Warcraft: Cataclysm releases.
* 80-85 content and the Goblin and Worgen races will not be available until release day.

Cataclysm Raids & Dungeons

* The balance of high level content (heroics and raids especially) for Cataclysm is going to shift a bit more towards the "hardcore" crowd. Outdoor mob difficulty, heroic modes available immediately, etc.
* There's a bit more enforced progression so that most players don't skip immediately from normal dungeons to raids.
* Chilton wishes there could be more difficulty modes for raids than just normal and heroic. Maybe 3 or 4 modes to offer appropriate challenges. It's not something they can do right now, but he can imagine them doing it in the future.
* Blizzard will continue supporting 25-player raids for the people that like it. They're also going to make sure 25-player raids are appropriately rewarded. At least equivalently, and in most cases better rewarded.

Other

* The Battle for Gilneas was already significantly redesigned before even becoming available in the closed beta, based on internal testing feedback. Blizzard deemed the original design "unsalvageable."
* It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore.
* Sylvanas is trying to "ensure the future of the Forsaken". With the death of the Lich King and no plague to spread, she had to find alternate means to keep the Forsaken from becoming extinct.
* The Emerald Dream is still something Blizzard wants to do. It might end up being part of Caverns of Time if they want to revisit it in a past setting.
* Housing will be introduced to WoW some time right after "never".
* The release date is at midnight on the first Tuesday after it's done! (This was a joke but also seriously, obviously)

So... no more badge farming and jump on the ICC bandwagon? Sounds ok

The new 1 - 60 content is available before the Cataclysm actually happens? That doesn't make any sense.

Bisnic

traveler said:
The new 1 - 60 content is available before the Cataclysm actually happens? That doesn't make any sense.

Read the first 2 points again. Patch 3.9 will introduce the Cataclysm events AND the updated zones.

So, when the 1-60 content is changed in 3.9 would it still be in current Azeroth? Then once Cataclysm launches the world changes to the destroyed version of Azeroth?

Flib

HarryDemeanor said:
So, when the 1-60 content is changed in 3.9 would it still be in current Azeroth? Then once Cataclysm launches the world changes to the destroyed version of Azeroth?

No, the cataclysm happens during 3.9, the release of the expansion itself (4.0) unlocks worgens/goblins and the 80+ zones.

I guess they maybe do this to avoid over flooding... if they did everything on launch there might simply be too many people starting out.

nice that they finally said no to "housing" forever. WoW is finally becoming mature. the honey moon is over, and now the game is adult. its a sign of them looking ahead to the next game.. maybe its a sign of the next MMO having housing!?

Garryk

I liked housing in EQ2. Not only did you have a place to show off all your trophies, but you had a house vault for even more storage.

Swag

Garryk said:
I liked housing in EQ2. Not only did you have a place to show off all your trophies, but you had a house vault for even more storage.

Bank / Compare achievements?

FLEABttn

Banned
Housing in WoW would be a waste of resources. Given their glacial pace at which they put out content, it would come at the cost of something else, probably something much more awesome.

It'd all be instanced anyways, so you're not showing anything off to anyways unless you invite them in, or share a neighborhood with people. I wouldn't want to share a neighborhood with your average WoW person.

It would also probably depopulate the world even more than it already is. Which would be bad if you find that to be a problem.

There are people who like the whole "decorate your house" business, but that's why we have Sims.

Swag

FLEABttn said:
There are people who like the whole "decorate your house" business, but that's why we have Sims.

And Final Fantasy XI, although in that game it was all instanced and the novelty wore off almost immediately after it was implemented. Most people on my server used it as a cyber sex role play type thing :lol

Rapstah

If I purchase Dual Talent Spec., do I get action bars for each spec or do I actually have to switch between bars myself?

Rapstah said:
If I purchase Dual Talent Spec., do I get action bars for each spec or do I actually have to switch between bars myself?

Once you set the action bars for each spec, they will switch automatically, but be warned, if you level as one spec the secondary spec's spells will not automatically be the new rank (or at least this is what I experienced).

Lumine

Oh wow that's pretty cool. I guess I'll resub when 3.9 hits instead of when cataclysm releases.

Has there been any info on pricing yet for cataclysm? I mean for new players. I'm trying to convince a friend to play with me when it releases, but it'll be a hard sell if he needs to buy vanilla wow, bc and wotlk as well.

Swag

Lumine said:
Oh wow that's pretty cool. I guess I'll resub when 3.9 hits instead of when cataclysm releases.

Has there been any info on pricing yet for cataclysm? I mean for new players. I'm trying to convince a friend to play with me when it releases, but it'll be a hard sell if he needs to buy vanilla wow, bc and wotlk as well.

He needs to buy vanilla, bc, and wotlk.

notworksafe

Lumine said:

To get the new world stuff and get 1-60 he just needs vanilla. To play a belf/draenei and get from 61-70 he needs BC. To play a DK and get 71-80 he needs Wrath. To play a goblin/worgen and get 81-85 he needs Cataclysm. So maybe have him start with just Vanilla or the Vanilla/BC battle chest.

notworksafe

Another idea is once Cata is out have him do the 10 day trial. Then you guys can both level together in the new world and he won't have to pay to try it out first. There will probably be a Vanilla/BC/Wrath battle chest a few weeks after Cata comes out so he could wait for that.

Lumine

I think I might just try and hunt down an old retail copy of vanilla for cheap when 3.9 hits when it's all you need at first. Was kind of looking forward for us to go goblin straight away, but oh well. Strange though, I thought cataclysm was kind of catering to new players, so I was hoping it would act as some sort of replacement to make it more attractive for new players rather than scare them away with having to buy all iterations.

Bisnic

Lumine said:
I think I might just try and hunt down an old retail copy of vanilla for cheap when 3.9 hits when it's all you need at first. Was kind of looking forward for us to go goblin straight away, but oh well. Strange though, I thought cataclysm was kind of catering to new players, so I was hoping it would act as some sort of replacement to make it more attractive for new players rather than scare them away with having to buy all iterations.

I don't think you need to buy all of them if you wanna play everything. It's only your account that needs to be upgraded as WOTLK or Cataclysm.

Currently, you can install the whole game (Original, BC & WOTLK) with only the WOTLK DVD as far as i know.

As long you upgrade your account to Cataclysm, i suppose you could just buy the Cataclysm game box and play everything without needing to buy WoW, then buy BC, then buy WOTLK AND buy Cataclysm.

I have no idea how much it costs to upgrade an account from Original to Cataclysm though.

Lumine

Are you sure about this? Installing/downloading isn't the problem of course, but can you upgrade your account from vanilla wow to wotlk without upgrading to bc first? I doubt it, but of course I've never tested this either. And they might change that for Cataclysm I suppose, though I'm doubting that at this point as well. :p

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You can buy a digital copy of vanilla for 19.99 on battle net.

Direct Online Upgrade Prerequisites:

• You must have a trial account before you can upgrade to Classic World of Warcraft.

• You must have Classic World of Warcraft before you can upgrade to the Burning Crusade.

• You must have the Burning Crusade before you can upgrade to Wrath of the Lich King.

Does this upgrade cost anything?

Yes. When you click the "Submit" button, your credit card will be billed with the noted activation fee (depending on the product), which will upgrade you to the selected client. Players in select states in the U.S. may be subject to taxation when upgrading their account from a classic standard version using the Online Upgrade feature. This list includes but is not limited to:

- Arizona
- Colorado
- Illinois
- Indiana
- Louisiana
- Massachusetts
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- New York
- Ohio
- Pennsylvania
- Tennessee
- Texas
- Washington

I have to have vanilla to see the upgrade price. In 2007 it was 39.99. I don't see it being lower than 19.99. The battle chest on amazon.com for vanilla + BC is $36.83.

Bisnic

Like i said, i don't really know. I've been upgrading my original account from 1 expansion to another since i started playing before BC. We would need to ask someone who started playing WoW with WOTLK. :p

I guess, at worst, afer you buy Cataclysm, you need to go to the WoW website and upgrade your account from WoW to BC, then to WOTLK and to Cataclysm and pay a fee between each upgrades. Hopefully, they have an easier step where you can upgrade from WoW to Cataclysm and just pay the full price all at once.

Garryk

FLEABttn said:
Housing in WoW would be a waste of resources. Given their glacial pace at which they put out content, it would come at the cost of something else, probably something much more awesome.

It'd all be instanced anyways, so you're not showing anything off to anyways unless you invite them in, or share a neighborhood with people. I wouldn't want to share a neighborhood with your average WoW person.

It would also probably depopulate the world even more than it already is. Which would be bad if you find that to be a problem.

Yeah, housing in EQ2 was instanced, but you could set it to public so people could come in and shop off of your vendors (people bought from vendors to avoid the tax on the auction house). However, my point wasn't that wow needs housing but rather an example of a housing system that integrated well with the game environment without turning cities into ghost towns.

One thing from eq2 I wish WoW would do is have a row of bank slots that are shared between all of your characters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
Like i said, i don't really know. I've been upgrading my original account from 1 expansion to another since i started playing before BC. We would need to ask someone who started playing WoW with WOTLK. :p

I guess, at worst, afer you buy Cataclysm, you need to go to the WoW website and upgrade your account from WoW to BC, then to WOTLK and to Cataclysm and pay a fee between each upgrades. Hopefully, they have an easier step where you can upgrade from WoW to Cataclysm and just pay the full price all at once.
Yeah, but the thing is, since the battle chest is essentially $19.99 for vanilla and $16.84. Unless the BC upgrade is near $16 a future battle chest with vanilla-bc-wotlk will probably be the cheapest route.

J-Rzez

Heh, so the big world changes happen prior to the xpac launch then? Hopefully they have a live feed of the rooms the servers are in because that's where the real cataclysm is going to happen. After all, imparting such sweeping changes can't possibly go over smoothly, considering much small patches bring the realms down to their knees.

They can't expect anyone to pay that much for just starting off fresh. They said they want to really target some new players with this xpac, and raping them without lube for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath, then tack on the fresh $40 (I assume) for reg Cata is not going to win over many people as to "get up to date" (that's what people are going to look at, not the 1-60 experience). Anyone on the fence, that's for the 10-day trial.

We'll see how this new "cater raiding to the hardcore" goes considering they've been doing their damned best to make it more casual than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom