• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
So, out of my 80 DK, Pally, War, Rogue, Lock, Mage, and Priest (I told you guys I play a lot lol), I'm leaning towards my Paladin atm. They're just looking so good from the videos. My DK was my main though, but talking and watching some gameplay with them boy did Blizzard really mess them up. The rune system wasn't broken, why try to fix it? All because you had to pay attention and be responsive? DK's were hurting DPS wise (aoe doesn't count) in end game compared to other classes, but this plan wasn't the way to fix it. It wasn't player error in rotation holding back the DPS, it was the consistent nerfing that did it, especially crippling ScS.

Sir, have you tried competitive DK DPS?

I need some heirloom items. What is the fastest and easiest way to earn Emblems? I'm already using the Dungeon Finder and doing the weekly raid quests but is there something else out there, like for Conquest or Valor emblems?

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I need some heirloom items. What is the fastest and easiest way to earn Emblems? I'm already using the Dungeon Finder and doing the weekly raid quests but is there something else out there, like for Conquest or Valor emblems?
You can also use Stonekeeper Shards and Argent Tourney seals (if you are a Crusader) to get heirlooms. The other emblems aren't in use anymore. They just exist to be traded down to for items.

Tamanon

Banned
The Lamonster said:

Just run random dungeons, also use those stone keeper shards to buy heirlooms too.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
Sir, have you tried competitive DK DPS?

I always was in the top 3 in raids, usually 1st for my guild. But, that varied as per encounter of course. Now, I was going off of those tracking sites compilations, but they may have been skewed because they weren't able to tell the difference between tanks and dps DK's, even though I never understood why they didn't just look for frost pres. I looked at the top guilds for indication and most of the time the DKs were mid pack or worse on the majority of the boss fights (not overall raid dmg). But then again, I haven't checked that info in a couple months.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The Lamonster said:

PVE heirloom is emblem or champion's seal.
PVP heirloom is stone keeper shard's.

You get stone keeper shards in randoms when your fraction controls WinterGrasp. You also get them when doing the weekly Wintergrasp quests.

As far as Champion's Seal goes... there ToTC heroic mode which you can only manually queue for once a day. (Unless that changed in the past few months?)Then there are dailies. http://www.wowwiki.com/Trial_of_the_Champion More with different achievements earned.

So, the fastest way is randoms when you control WG.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
What's the best place to look at videos?

Digging through some youtube vids you should find them. I remember that it looked like the runes took forever to recharged compared to now. There was a large dead time waiting for runes to come back up. If you tanked, this especially was worrisome I thought, and sure enough on the forums you'd see people really concerned over the dead time. In which, GC said, we're still tweaking things. So, guess we'll have to see how things pan out.

Flib

I absolutely loved leveling my DK to 80, and then absolutely hated tanking and dps'ing on him once I reached the cap. It's a shame since it's a cool idea for a class, but I just couldn't stand the flow in actual dungeons.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
I absolutely loved leveling my DK to 80, and then absolutely hated tanking and dps'ing on him once I reached the cap. It's a shame since it's a cool idea for a class, but I just couldn't stand the flow in actual dungeons.
Leveling s easy mde tho. I did blood and had no down Tim.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
I always was in the top 3 in raids, usually 1st for my guild. But, that varied as per encounter of course. Now, I was going off of those tracking sites compilations, but they may have been skewed because they weren't able to tell the difference between tanks and dps DK's, even though I never understood why they didn't just look for frost pres. I looked at the top guilds for indication and most of the time the DKs were mid pack or worse on the majority of the boss fights (not overall raid dmg). But then again, I haven't checked that info in a couple months.

I was mainly talking about personal experience, since if you want to do competitive DPS, you have to hit every key correctly on every global cooldown. And let's not even get to add fights.

And tbh it sucked. Sure, it weeded out the noobs, but it sucked.

Flib

That's what I was saying though. The difference between leveling and how they actually play end game is rather stark.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
I was mainly talking about personal experience, since if you want to do competitive DPS, you have to hit every key correctly on every global cooldown. And let's not even get to add fights.

I didn't mind being busy though. I mean, you hear stories "i have all this rp up, and i have no time to get a dc off", and I wonder how is that? I always had time for rp dumps. But I guess some people were just slow or something. I don't think the current system was broken at all, thus why I'm so confused why they changed it, and how many people knew it wasn't going to feel right, and then it actually happened. Now people are complaining big time. I'm guessing they figure they can keep tweaking it and if it doesn't get acceptable, they can go back to the old system.

And yes, Blood DKs as leveling, you have next-to-nil downtime. I didn't and I leveled mine off at Wrath launch, in which I hear it's even better now.

Tacitus_ said:

sounds exactly like enhancement shaman

notworksafe said:
I couldn't comment on that. I got so burned out on Ulduar 25H that I'm never going back to another 25 again. :lol

My guild is on A52 if you're looking for people to play with, Horde side of course. We're <In Defense of the Genre>. We do a little bit of everything: ICC normal and heroic, battlegrounds, arena. Just toss me a PM if you decide to switch over.

And yeah Alliance is hilariously dead on A52. I think they have a total of like 12 Wintergrasp victories according to the little placard. The only time I've seen it Alliance controlled is like 4AM. :lol

I'm probably switching over sometime this evening. Alliance is dead in the water on this server

Hixx

Flib said:

Think Outbreak (iirc?) should help in dungeons, atm by the time you've put IT+PS and Pest, the mobs are practically dead.

ST dps is ok, longer fights can get incredibly boring as Blood/UH though.

I enjoyed DK tanking till they made frost 2h weaker too. Very rarely do I see DK tanks these days, shame.

notworksafe

funkmastergeneral said:
I'm probably switching over sometime this evening. Alliance is dead in the water on this server
Cool. I'll be on leveling an alt most likely so /w Aurayouready or Lockandlol if you want a guild invite (or toss me a PM on here if I am not online).

Is there a place to look at the faction stats of your server (mine is Stormscale), to see % Horde vs. Alliance or other similar stats?

Flib

HixxSAFC said:
Think Outbreak (iirc?) should help in dungeons, atm by the time you've put IT+PS and Pest, the mobs are practically dead.

ST dps is ok, longer fights can get incredibly boring as Blood/UH though.

I enjoyed DK tanking till they made frost 2h weaker too. Very rarely do I see DK tanks these days, shame.

Yeah, I understand how it work, I just didn't find it fun. I ground out dungeons as a DK tank and fully geared him out in as much non-icc gear as he could obtain and then shelved him. Easily my least favorite toon to tank on...hated the moments where you literally had nothing to press, and the spiky damage always stressed me. I understand rolling cooldowns, and I tanked well with him, I just didn't enjoy it. It's a personal point of preference, I'm not saying it's a shitty class.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
I didn't mind being busy though. I mean, you hear stories "i have all this rp up, and i have no time to get a dc off", and I wonder how is that? I always had time for rp dumps. But I guess some people were just slow or something. I don't think the current system was broken at all, thus why I'm so confused why they changed it, and how many people knew it wasn't going to feel right, and then it actually happened. Now people are complaining big time. I'm guessing they figure they can keep tweaking it and if it doesn't get acceptable, they can go back to the old system.

And yes, Blood DKs as leveling, you have next-to-nil downtime. I didn't and I leveled mine off at Wrath launch, in which I hear it's even better now.

Then you weren't doing your best. An UH build with reaping will have exactly one spare GCD every 20 seconds to fire off extra RP and that build is the most adjustable. Not to mention you couldn't react to new situations since your runes had to be always on cooldown in order to do competitive dps.

funkmastergeneral said:
sounds exactly like enhancement shamanr

Yes and no. The rotation itself is fairly easy (talking UH/Blood here, Frost has the same problems with procs as enhancement), but you had similar problems with mobility and you had to be very keen on the timings.

Flib

pyrealnova said:
Any advice on which piece of gear I should upgrade with my first set of frost badges? Cloak is obviously my worst piece, but I wasn't sure if it would take priority over T10 head and/or shoulders. Been running H FoS non-stop for the DPS cape and I've only seen it drop once.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scilla&cn=Vindictive

Please don't laugh too much at my horrible gear.

Don't play a Rogue, so this may be slightly different advice (some of the T10 set bonuses for different classes mean you need to try to get the 4piece bonus as soon as possible...Bear Druids are a good example of this), but I think it depends on if you're going to be raid. If you don't have a good income of frost emblems (i.e. you do the weekly raid and daily heroics), I'd get the cloak first.

Flib said:
Don't play a Rogue, so this may be slightly different advice (some of the T10 set bonuses for different classes mean you need to try to get the 4piece bonus as soon as possible...Bear Druids are a good example of this), but I think it depends on if you're going to be raid. If you don't have a good income of frost emblems (i.e. you do the weekly raid and daily heroics), I'd get the cloak first.

Thanks. I haven't done any raiding on this toon, and I'm not currently in a raiding guild, so accumulating the badges has been a very slow process. My initial thought was cloak, too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I trasnfered to Mal'Ganis because of this...

A: 1,664 (5%)
H: 35,146 (95%)
A/H Activity Ratio 1:11
Overall: 36,810

I could find a guild on a crappy 3k vs 2k server so I figured the more horde the beater. Plus it's a top progressing one.

Then I stopped playing -_-

Alcoori

All right, tonight my second ICC with my guild (friends and family IRL) plus some randoms.

We blasted our way through the first 4 encounters. Then... Oh boy.

We ripped on Festergut. Don't know what was going wrong because the two MT (my brother and I) are 5k1 and 5K4 GS, 64k and 70k HP buffed, same abso/evade/parry. I play DK and he plays War and we were getting atomized before we could even switch.
We were getting bursts of dps up to 60k in 2-3sec so couldn't really do anything.

We decided to go on Rotface. First try we died for some silly reason. Second we downed it but the fight was slightly messy. I was kitting the blobs and I was getting screamed at by a rogue because I was crossing the green goo pouring from the walls. They didn't really do any significant damages so don't know what was his deal.

Then last couple of tries on Festergut, same thing. Wipe after wipe.
Were we doing something wrong? Our two heals (sham and priest) were both at around 6-7k hps, shouldn't that be enough? Maybe bad handling of the spores?

And this was on normal :D

notworksafe

Alcoori said:
All right, tonight my second ICC with my guild (friends and family IRL) plus some randoms.

We blasted our way through the first 4 encounters. Then... Oh boy.

We ripped on Festergut. Don't know what was going wrong because the two MT (my brother and I) are 5k1 and 5K4 GS, 64k and 70k HP buffed, same abso/evade/parry. I play DK and he plays War and we were getting atomized before we could even switch.
We were getting bursts of dps up to 60k in 2-3sec so couldn't really do anything.

We decided to go on Rotface. First try we died for some silly reason. Second we downed it but the fight was slightly messy. I was kitting the blobs and I was getting screamed at by a rogue because I was crossing the green goo pouring from the walls. They didn't really do any significant damages so don't know what was his deal.

Then last couple of tries on Festergut, same thing. Wipe after wipe.
Were we doing something wrong? Our two heals (sham and priest) were both at around 6-7k hps, shouldn't that be enough? Maybe bad handling of the spores?

And this was on normal :D
Very odd indeed. Were you guys making sure to get 3 stacks of the Innoculation? We usually have two groups, melee and caster, with one person marked with a raid icon (tank for melee, someone pretty aware for caster). When the spores go out one person goes to each group and everyone huddles near or around the mark to make sure everyone gets the debuff. Also make sure that the first tank takes 9 stacks of the damage increase debuff before you switch off or you'll run into big issues.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
Then you weren't doing your best. An UH build with reaping will have exactly one spare GCD every 20 seconds to fire off extra RP and that build is the most adjustable. Not to mention you couldn't react to new situations since your runes had to be always on cooldown in order to do competitive dps.

Was reapingless. But even when I was that I remember having enough time to fire off 1 dc at the end of 1st stage, and 2 at the end of the 2nd set. 0/17/54

PS – IT – BS – SS – BS – DC – HoW
SS – BS – SS – BS – DC – DC and sometimes an additional DC.
That's before runes are back up.

If i'm not doing "competitive" dps, then everyone else isn't that great at dk, because I top other dk's in more 25man gear than i have in ICC 25 runs that when I'm on the 25man guilds like to pick me up for when they're going to be short. I do just fine trust me. Now, perhaps things change with guilds in 277 gear, which I assumed something was different as the charts shown how DKs can fall behind minus Shadowmourne and such.

lordmrw

Nazgrel

A: 7,232 (55%)
H: 5,880 (45%)
A/H Activity Ratio 1.4:1
Overall: 13,112

Almost even split though we do consistently kick the shit out of the horde in Wintergrasp. Good god at some of those statistics. Its so lopsided on servers its not even funny.

Hurray \o/ Got my Dk Tank to 80. Told myself Id go to bed early and here I am at nearly 1am. Fuck :S

Ozoka

Spent 20 mins going through the best pre-raid gear thats AH'able and most of its either massively over priced (300G for nerub cloak) most if not all of the titan steel stuff has vanished and I cant think where to get a better weapons before I roll up to a heroic with a level 77 or so sword :lol I suppose theres allways Normal dungeons but I forget about them.

JesseZao

Johnlenham said:
Hurray \o/ Got my Dk Tank to 80. Told myself Id go to bed early and here I am at nearly 1am. Fuck :S

Ozoka

Spent 20 mins going through the best pre-raid gear thats AH'able and most of its either massively over priced (300G for nerub cloak) most if not all of the titan steel stuff has vanished and I cant think where to get a better weapons before I roll up to a heroic with a level 77 or so sword :lol I suppose theres allways Normal dungeons but I forget about them.

A day or so of heroics is all you need. It's so easy to close the gap these days. I wouldn't buy stuff from the AH. Just run the ICC heroics and the ToC heroic once you can and save for badge gear.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
yacobod said:
Illidan's been the top ranked server for like the past year, or at least since 3.3
Illidan just has more guilds that have killed LK, Mal'ganis kills things faster.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Illidan just has more guilds that have killed LK, Mal'ganis kills things faster.
Illidan got a normal and heroic Lich King kill before Mal'Ganis, but the following few guilds got quicker kills on Mal'Ganis than Illidan.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
Was reapingless. But even when I was that I remember having enough time to fire off 1 dc at the end of 1st stage, and 2 at the end of the 2nd set. 0/17/54

PS – IT – BS – SS – BS – DC – HoW
SS – BS – SS – BS – DC – DC and sometimes an additional DC.
That's before runes are back up.

If i'm not doing "competitive" dps, then everyone else isn't that great at dk, because I top other dk's in more 25man gear than i have in ICC 25 runs that when I'm on the 25man guilds like to pick me up for when they're going to be short. I do just fine trust me. Now, perhaps things change with guilds in 277 gear, which I assumed something was different as the charts shown how DKs can fall behind minus Shadowmourne and such.

I stand corrected, your rotation was fine. I just don't agree with you that it should be so rigid and unresponsive to new events.

mclem

Alcoori said:

Tanks running through the green goo is fine, although in heroic you do need to be prepared to counter a nasty stacking slowing debuff which really screws up kiting. Non-tanks should stay clear of it, though. In other words, the rogue was very wrong.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
I stand corrected, your rotation was fine. I just don't agree with you that it should be so rigid and unresponsive to new events.

The new runic system is even worse then with around 10seconds+ of downtime between rotations, where you blow through your RP and sit there doing nothing then from what people say.

The scary thing is when there were fixes in the works, blues would respond to the issues, especially those elaborately detailed in threads that are a few pages long. But there are no blue responses in said thread, which means they probably have no clue what they're doing. Who wants to do 3 rune abilities every 10+seconds? Not sure what they were thinking with that one.

Tacitus_

J-Rzez said:
The new runic system is even worse then with around 10seconds+ of downtime between rotations, where you blow through your RP and sit there doing nothing then from what people say.

The scary thing is when there were fixes in the works, blues would respond to the issues, especially those elaborately detailed in threads that are a few pages long. But there are no blue responses in said thread, which means they probably have no clue what they're doing. Who wants to do 3 rune abilities every 10+seconds? Not sure what they were thinking with that one.

Hopefully they're still reiterating and working out the bugs, since this is what they're going for (the post was in response for retadins)

Using every GCD
This specific feedback is a tricky thing to handle because a lot of Ret paladins are used to mashing buttons every GCD, and any time they aren't in that state they are going to feel a lack of "rhythm" (as you put it). Yet if you look at rogues and Feral druids, they can't hit a button every GCD because they don't always have the energy to do so.

We don't want classes / specs to use every GCD. We don't think that's good for the game, as I've mentioned before. (Casters do their waiting while casting rather than in between abilities.) The trick is to fill "enough" holes with something. For some players, especially some Ret players, that "enough" is going to feel weird for them unless it means every single hole. That's not what we're going for though. Wasting every other GCD is too extreme and isn't what we're going for either.

I agree with their aim, but I haven't been following the DK development that closely since I've been maining a warrior since late spring.

J-Rzez

Tacitus_ said:
Hopefully they're still reiterating and working out the bugs, since this is what they're going for (the post was in response for retadins)

I agree with their aim, but I haven't been following the DK development that closely since I've been maining a warrior since late spring.

It just needs some massive tweaking at this point because there are massive dead zones right now in the rotation in beta from what I've seen/heard. First off the rune system and/or UI is bugged to hell. Death runes are messed up. They went from "some" dead times, to overkill on it. Rogues are throwing in other actions at times though too, like tricks, so it's kind of odd to see them explain it as much. Rogues don't have 6+ seconds of dead times like DK's in the beta have now after dumps.

Xabora is in the beta and mains a DK, what's your take on it right now?

Started WoW in early 2008 and I never knew what the hell you guys were talking about in these threads :lol

But today, I finally know what you guys are saying! Terms like "GCD" and "retadin" would have made me glaze over back then. Not to mention the cryptic trade chat - "dps lfg brewboss pst" etc. Learning the game is like learning an entire language and cultural history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom