• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yaweee said:
So can you roll Dwarven Shamans, or Tauren Paladins/Priests on the PTR? I'm hoping Blizzard dropped needing the expansion to create them for no reason.

Yup, that's in this patch.

Tamanon said:
Hallelujah, otherwise that Northrend grind would be unbearable. Especially since you must be 80 to start in the new Cata zones. Can't jump ship at 78 like you can to Outland or Northrend.
Damn that sucks

Trickster

Tamanon said:
Hallelujah, otherwise that Northrend grind would be unbearable. Especially since you must be 80 to start in the new Cata zones. Can't jump ship at 78 like you can to Outland or Northrend.

The fact that people could call the leveling from 71 to 80 a grind is so sad...I'm guessing it's reasons like this that Blizzard feel the need to continue making the game more and more casual oriented.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Trickster said:
The fact that people could call the leveling from 71 to 80 a grind is so sad...I'm guessing it's reasons like this that Blizzard feel the need to continue making the game more and more casual oriented.
Or maybe he just doesn't like those zones or want to do them again so soon?

1-85 is technically a quest/experience grind to be able to do endgame.

Everyone being hyped over 1-60 and 80-85 is understandable, since it's new.

Trickster said:

After doing it 4 times already, leveling my hunter through Northrend is a bit monotonous.

markot

Banned
Its great the first or second time through, but after that its just blehhhhh.

Also they are adding 5 more lvls that will essentially be similar in time to 70-80.

If the grind was never upped, most people would quit and stop lvling alts. Its be crazy as it stands. 1-60 tooks like 12 days played for most people in early vanilla.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You would think Genn Greymane would at least have a unique model...

Trickster

funkmastergeneral said:
After doing it 4 times already, leveling my hunter through Northrend is a bit monotonous.

Might be, but WoW is already far and away the most accesible and probably easy MMO on the market today. The fact that pretty much everyone has multiple max lvl alts with full epic gear shows that clearly.

I dunno man, I'm just getting tired of seeing every aspect of the game get made available to people that don't feel like they should have to put in more than a few hours a week to get anywhere in the game.

Trickster said:
Might be, but WoW is already far and away the most accesible and probably easy MMO on the market today. The fact that pretty much everyone has multiple max lvl alts with full epic gear shows that clearly.

I dunno man, I'm just getting tired of seeing every aspect of the game get made available to people that don't feel like they should have to put in more than a few hours a week to get anywhere in the game.

It's obsolete content, sorry.

Alex

WoW killing the MMO time sink and replacing it with actual game design is the single best thing that's ever happened to this genre.

Though I can understand casual vs hardcore on some elements. The game is simultaneously one of the most approachable and one of the most hardcore games on the market with the way it spectrums content. Quite a lot of areas of both are done for wrong reasons at times though, in my mind.

Although I certainly don't think reducing Northrend EXP is one of them. Northrend was amazing to level in... the first couple times, and I'll probably never get sick of Howling Fjord or Grizzly Hills, but it is lengthy in the grand scheme now. Foregoing mostly a required Ice Crown, when the Lich King has no relevant place in the game anymore, isn't such a bad thing.

I'm pretty excited to level, I've already got my character made up for the shattering. 1-60 with all redone content and dungeons and PvP exp and dungeon finder and all this shit I've never gotten to use while leveling will be so great.

markot

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
You would think Genn Greymane would at least have a unique model...
Tyrande doesnt have one, Magni and all the Bronzebeards, the princess leila chick doesnt have one... the gnome king doesnt have one....

Mind you it took then like 5 years to make Sylvanas a BE and not a NE >.<

markot

Banned
Trickster said:

/Played isnt a measure of success or skill.

theultimo

markot said:
/Played isnt a measure of success or skill.
Neither is this:

(Money spent since 2004)

12/2/10 $14.99 USD 1 Month Recurring
Pending
11/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Active
10/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
9/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
8/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
7/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
6/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
5/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
4/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
3/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
2/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
1/2/10 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
12/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
11/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
10/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
9/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
8/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
7/2/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
7/1/09 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
6/1/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
5/1/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
4/30/09 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
3/31/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
2/28/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
1/31/09 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
12/31/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
11/30/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
11/29/08 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
11/26/08 N/A Three Day Credit
Expired
10/26/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
9/26/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
3/7/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
2/7/08 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
10/22/07 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
10/19/07 N/A Two Day Credit
Expired
7/19/07 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
4/18/07 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
1/17/07 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
1/15/07 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
10/15/06 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
7/14/06 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
7/12/06 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
4/12/06 $41.97 USD Three Months Recurring ($13.99 per month)
Expired
4/10/06 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
3/10/06 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
3/6/06 N/A Three Day Credit
Expired
2/6/06 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
2/4/06 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/4/06 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
12/3/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
12/1/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
11/1/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
9/15/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
8/14/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
7/13/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
6/12/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
5/11/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
5/8/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
4/8/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
4/4/05 N/A Three Day Credit
Expired
3/4/05 $14.99 USD One Month Recurring
Expired
3/3/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
3/2/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/1/05 $29.95 USD 60 Day GameCard
Expired
12/31/04 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
11/30/04 N/A Free Month
Expired

Tamanon

Banned
Trickster said:

Considering I've done it six times already, yah it gets to be kind of a grind.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
New zones do two things: Let people experience new content and gives people time to learn how to use the new spells. There's only about 4 for each expansion after vanilla. There's a point where people want to go faster after exhausting the content. It's not sad.

theultimo said:
Neither is this:

+ twelve $25 paid transfers

Question for you WoW gamers. How many games besides WoW do you play? I just started playing (still somewhat clueless) and I can see that it really is time consuming. Do you guys and gals spend the vast majority of your free gaming time on WoW?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LovingSteam said:
Question for you WoW gamers. How many games besides WoW do you play? I just started playing (still somewhat clueless) and I can see that it really is time consuming. Do you guys and gals spend the vast majority of your free gaming time on WoW?
Prioritize is key here. I own a good PC, PS3, PSP and some other major consoles and I buy all the new games for them :D

Yoshichan said:
Prioritize is key here. I own a good PC, PS3, PSP and some other major consoles and I buy all the new games for them :D

Same here lol which is why I don't know how much time I can give to WoW. I just started and am a level 6 something something. It seems like it would take me forever to get up to a level 80 lol.

Flib

LovingSteam said:

I own everything, and I go through phases. Sometimes I play wow a lot, then I go and focus on my backlog. At this point though, I have a solid guild and a stable of toons, so I don't have to spend much time to stay current in WoW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Also, they are catering to people that put in a lot of time to WoW for 5 years, not casuals. A person who has multiple 80's and wants to level a new toon through 70-80 faster is not a casual.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I haven't done much gaming the past year. I play wow a few hours a weeks only.

1. My pc sucks for games. 2. Want to do the WII HD emulator on a PC. 3. Don't have enough disposable income for ps3 games so I'm surely not going to buy a 360 again (sold the launch console).

I'll have an awesome backlog.

Tamanon

Banned
LovingSteam said:

WoW is awesome for filling the normal dead time for releases. Right now I'm not playing much, instead playing a lot of Black Ops. But once Cata hits, back to WoW I migrate. It'll be especially nice once 4.0.3a hits since the questing won't be so time-consuming to travel back and forth(CURSE YOU DUSKWOOD!) so you can knock out some leveling progress no matter how much you play.

Tamanon said:
WoW is awesome for filling the normal dead time for releases. Right now I'm not playing much, instead playing a lot of Black Ops. But once Cata hits, back to WoW I migrate. It'll be especially nice once 4.0.3a hits since the questing won't be so time-consuming to travel back and forth(CURSE YOU DUSKWOOD!) so you can knock out some leveling progress no matter how much you play.

Do you suggest I wait to level up until Cata arrives?

Tamanon

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Do you suggest I wait to level up until Cata arrives?

You should be fine now, although it looks like the world's changing next week most likely. Either way, you haven't seen the current content, so there's no harm leveling now since it's going away soon.

Cipherr

Does anyone know what happened to maximized windowed mode? I hate full screen because wow doesnt play nice with Aero or whatever the hell win7's ui is called. I just want the non bordered windowed mode back but the option appears to be gone.

notworksafe

Not sure about Windows, but on Mac they changed it in 4.0.1. It used to be a checkbox, but now it's in Video and in the Display Mode dropdown box you just pick Windowed (Fullscreen).

Sciz

Far Sight is still one of the best spells in the game.

As expected, the new old world zones are completely implemented on the PTR, and there's nothing keeping me from taking a look aside from the spell's own general array of bugs. Can't wait. :eek:

R.I.P. HELP Mountain, you will be missed

I noticed they changed the Meta requirement for Relentless Earthsiege and Chaotic Skyflare to require more blue gems than red on the PTR. I suppose this is an intended change but, what is the logic behind this? These are the DPS's meta gems of choice right now and when 4.03a goes live we'll have to find something else? Right before starting to level? Why? I know my Hunter and Rogue only have hit rating gems for DPS blue gems and gemming for hit just doesn't make any sense when I can reforge for hit and put agility gems in my sockets.

Ramirez

Anyone know if the Ravasaur guy in Ungoro will be gone once the world changes? I just recently reupped my account and wanted to do this, but from reading about it, the quest takes 20 days to complete. There's not 20 days left til release, so I didn't want to bother with it if it's gonna disappear after the world changes.

Lolligag

Ramirez said:
Anyone know if the Ravasaur guy in Ungoro will be gone once the world changes? I just recently reupped my account and wanted to do this, but from reading about it, the quest takes 20 days to complete. There's not 20 days left til release, so I didn't want to bother with it if it's gonna disappear after the world changes.
I really doubt he's gone. The geography of Un'goro is mostly unchanged besides a camp move and added small area to the east.

Ramirez

Lolligag said:
I really doubt he's gone. The geography of Un'goro is mostly unchanged besides a camp move and added small area to the east.

Thanks, so I haven't been following Cataclysm at all, but am I reading this right when people are saying every quest from the original game has been changed/revamped? I want to reroll a new hunter, but I had little interest in redoing the content I'd done about 10 times over already. :lol

Oni Link 666 said:
I noticed they changed the Meta requirement for Relentless Earthsiege and Chaotic Skyflare to require more blue gems than red on the PTR. I suppose this is an intended change but, what is the logic behind this? These are the DPS's meta gems of choice right now and when 4.03a goes live we'll have to find something else? Right before starting to level? Why? I know my Hunter and Rogue only have hit rating gems for DPS blue gems and gemming for hit just doesn't make any sense when I can reforge for hit and put agility gems in my sockets.

This changed in 4.0.1, actually. If hit is no issue at all stick a +10 all stats and a whatever/stamina gem in there for best results (as dps).

Otherwise, any combination of +10 all stats and whatever/hit, or maybe full hit gems if needed.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ramirez said:
Thanks, so I haven't been following Cataclysm at all, but am I reading this right when people are saying every quest from the original game has been changed/revamped? I want to reroll a new hunter, but I had little interest in redoing the content I'd done about 10 times over already. :lol

Oh god. You play WoW too? :lol

Antagon

Ramirez said:

From what I understand (haven't played the test realm myself) it's at least most. There are some areas that haven't changed much, while others have been completely overhauled, including scenery, different level ranges, etc.

Ramirez

Sai-kun said:
Oh god. You play WoW too? :lol

Man, if it weren't for WoW I probably would have played 20K games of Halo 3, literally the only game that got me away from it. :lol

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be making me a new character. :)

mclem

LovingSteam said:

For me, it goes in phases. Immediately post-expansion I pretty much only take breaks for sleeping! As is stands right now, I'm on for about 20 hours a week, mainly fulfilling raid responsibilities but also grabbing some final achievements before the shattering (finished the Sceptre of the Shifting Sands on Monday, at last!). I game a lot; that's less than half my weekly entertainment hours.

mclem

Realisation:

Come the shattering, even if we're not altoholics... we should be able to play Peacebloom vs. Ghouls, shouldn't we?

mclem said:
Realisation:

Come the shattering, even if we're not altoholics... we should be able to play Peacebloom vs. Ghouls, shouldn't we?

No reason why not. It'd just be like doing any other low-level quest. There's nothing to prevent you from doing so - it's not phased.

Acidote

I usually reactivate my account on 2 stimulus:

1- The itch to play.
1- The need to save money for a while. I pay 13 € a month and I mostly play just WoW and TF2. Cheap HQ gaming.

LovingSteam said:

At the moment, it's really the only game I'm playing besides iOS diversions when I'm out and about. This is mostly because I don't have my Xbox 360 or any other console with me, just my Macbook Pro. (I do have Starcraft 2, Civ 4, TF2, and other games I can play on Steam or otherwise, but I don't boot them up too often.)

At home for Thanksgiving and over Winter Break I'm sure I'll be playing some Halo: Reach that I had bought, but never got to play - though with Cataclysm releasing, I'll definitely be playing more WoW than anything else with 3-4 characters I'll immediately be pushing to 85 for raiding and profession reasons, as well 1-2 new alts I'll take through the shattered world. Especially with all the reps and dungeon gear to grind, there will definitely be a lot more on my WoW "goals" list than there is now, where I'm just focused on making money and wrapping up achieves/reputations that I won't have time for until there is a lull in content again.

Basically, it's as time consuming as you want it to be past a certain point - there's almost always something else to go after, which is why it's good to make shorter term goals. Before that point, however, in the raiding/endgame sense at least (definitely not leveling, which can be at any pace), there's a time commitment of probably at the very least 12-15 hours a week for the average player to remain somewhat "in shape", which I would define as having enough gold to pay for consumables and repairs (modest saving to acquire more expensive things), and have a decent amount of practice/experience on bosses.

The 20+ hour range is where I would place more "competitive" people who will be more focused on min/maxing - sinking enough time and making enough gold to always have the best enchants and crafted gear, maxed important reputations, etc.

There will always be exceptions - e.g. the AH mastermind who makes 1000s of gold per day, and only really has to play when they want, never worrying about having enough gold to buy whatever consumable or what have you that could be the difference between a 2% wipe and success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom