• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinity

Angry Grimace said:
You can tell how "awesome" the Elemental Invasion event is. After 3 days, it doesn't even get cleared now. :lol

Yeah I noticed that tonight in Orgrimmar. Got out of an instance, realized what was going on, and thought "Damn - no mail, AH, or repair vendor."

/camp

Cyrillus

Sax Russel said:
Dug up some old screenshots from 2004/2005 leveling and made some comparisons for fun. The Hammerfall one doesn't show off hardly any Cataclysm changes, aside from the increased view distance available, but it's still fun to look at ^_^ Also gg @ my old 1280x1024 CRT

http://home.windstream.net/kubek/Hammerfall.jpg

http://home.windstream.net/kubek/Freewind.jpg

This makes me wish I still had my screenshots from vanilla. Including the screenshot of my friend and I standing next to the king of SW in he bowels of Alcaz Island. We actually had no idea what was on the island when we went exploring, and when we found the king we were really excited. We always hoped there would be some quest to save the king from the Naga on Alcaz or something, but sadly he just appeared in SW one day :-(

This is what happens when I get bored...I farm random gear sets on my Pally. Im such a nerd. :lol

ihnH4.jpg

McNei1y

Man, I used to take screenshots all the damn time. Then my computer had to be refurbished and I lost over at least 200. :( I lost some awesome fraps moments too. Damn.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I liked the little lore sequence underneath the Maw of the Void in Darkshore and consequent quest. Even got a nifty achievement out of it.

McNei1y

Is there a way I can look at old stuff from guilds back in vanilla? Like search google and see if they have the paged saved anywhere?

Edit: Damn, I just went through pages and pages and found nothing. I also went through so many youtube videos hoping to find some of my fraps :(

No dice except for one video from BC I made... that's it though. :\

Here's one more that was an interesting location in terms of change. Had to turn the ground clutter to low on the new SS otherwise it would be a shot of just grass with that angle -_-

Southshore.jpg

Jijidasu

Looks like I'm going to have to build a new PC for this to run on pretty settings as this macbook pro will turn to toast if I even try hah. What kind of specs would be generally decent for this kind of thing?

I took a look at the recommended specifications and what not, doesn't say much in terms of what I should look for to run this on maxed settings with perfect performance.

Anyone who can give me a couple of examples?

Atomski said:
Ive actually been looking for a wow podcast. I tried The Instance for a while but god did the host get annoying after a few episodes.

Sadly, I've listened to half a dozen WoW podcasts and The Instance is still the best of them all.

One I've tried to listen to recently is Blue Plz (Cynical Brit guy). He has some pretty decent videos on Cataclysm Beta dungeons and whatnot, but him, just solo on a podcast is terrible!

The WoW Insider podcast is actually sort of decent, especially when you consider that most of their website content is either dated, or lacking depth/accuracy in the first place.

Honestly, stuff gets changed so rapidly in WoW that by the time podcasts are recorded and released, they can (and sometimes are) easily be outdated. Reading MMO-Champion, checking the blue-tracker there (or elsewhere) is the best bet for up to date information. WoW Insider articles I will read some of, mainly the Queue (daily Q&A) which either is informative or completely useless depending on the day.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Sadly, I've listened to half a dozen WoW podcasts and The Instance is still the best of them all.

One I've tried to listen to recently is Blue Plz (Cynical Brit guy). He has some pretty decent videos on Cataclysm Beta dungeons and whatnot, but him, just solo on a podcast is terrible!

The WoW Insider podcast is actually sort of decent, especially when you consider that most of their website content is either dated, or lacking depth/accuracy in the first place.

Honestly, stuff gets changed so rapidly in WoW that by the time podcasts are recorded and released, they can (and sometimes are) easily be outdated. Reading MMO-Champion, checking the blue-tracker there (or elsewhere) is the best bet for up to date information. WoW Insider articles I will read some of, mainly the Queue (daily Q&A) which either is informative or completely useless depending on the day.
You're kind of going off on a tangent at the end. Just because X is faster doesn't mean you can't enjoy Y. Like the internet in general owning every tv news and sports coverage. Some like to listen to a voice.

But, mmo-champion's blue tracker is amazing.

I like the yogscast guys but they only do a podcast a month, if that, it seems.

mclem

So here's something I've been musing on.

My guild have mentioned that they really don't want to have to PuG instances in Cataclysm; which, frankly, given what I've heard, is completely understandable.

I'm going to have to run a lot of instances with them. That's great for the guild, we'll get guild XP for it, but I'm going to want me-time too, and since I'm a principal tank, and usually the most reliable one to be present, I'm worried that I won't get that time.

What I'm considering is making it all formal; getting people to book time with me and only allocating a few bookings (I'm thinking one instance run per hour during what would be our usual raid hours). It's much more organised than I'd like, but it might be good to prevent me from getting burned out. That, and it might avoid hanging around waiting for a group to be made if they're all aware what time they need to be present.

Any suggestions for how to admin this? I'm an officer, so I have complete calendar control, although I'm not too sure if I'd use it.

Acidote

Strictly organize it. I'll be a pain in the ass otherwise, with guildies offended if you reject them even if they don't tell. Envy. Why do you always go with those guys but not with me, blablabla.

cynical brits, videos(havent heard his podcast) are fantastic. I think he has really come into his own over the months. It's actually been a downright pleasure to see someone mature into a host-like role. props to him!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I thought someone said Blizzard didnt update the sky of the new old world, but it seems pretty nice in the new Southshore screenshot.

moojito

notworksafe said:
What happens if you directly open WoW without the launcher? Something tells me it's having an issue either downloading or installing the new patch. Also Mac or PC?

Another suggestion from the WoW forums. They use Mac folder names, but it's basically the same on Windows:

Cheers for taking the time to respond. Fortunately after a good night's rest the launcher decided to start behaving properly again, so all is well :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
mclem said:
So here's something I've been musing on.

My guild have mentioned that they really don't want to have to PuG instances in Cataclysm; which, frankly, given what I've heard, is completely understandable.

I'm going to have to run a lot of instances with them. That's great for the guild, we'll get guild XP for it, but I'm going to want me-time too, and since I'm a principal tank, and usually the most reliable one to be present, I'm worried that I won't get that time.

What I'm considering is making it all formal; getting people to book time with me and only allocating a few bookings (I'm thinking one instance run per hour during what would be our usual raid hours). It's much more organised than I'd like, but it might be good to prevent me from getting burned out. That, and it might avoid hanging around waiting for a group to be made if they're all aware what time they need to be present.

Any suggestions for how to admin this? I'm an officer, so I have complete calendar control, although I'm not too sure if I'd use it.
Since instances can be run daily, other tanks will be grouping with people, and it based on who's online when you are...

Keep a daily accumulative tally and combine it with other tanks' successful guild runs perhaps?

"Need to choose between A and B.. A has had 10 successful guild heroic runs done, B has only had 3. Shall take B over A." A gets to do a PUG.

I know I've experience 5 people always grouping together and me having 0 with certain guilds.

Bisnic said:
I thought someone said Blizzard didnt update the sky of the new old world, but it seems pretty nice in the new Southshore screenshot.

???

I am pretty sure that, that is a particle effect that came with the undead style buildings. whereever there is undead, there is that plauge haze. so the particle effect is new, but the GODDAM FUCKING SKYBOX IS THE SAME SHITTY SKYBOX.

EVERY TIME I FUCKING LOG IN, THE goddam sky is square and so fucking pixelated that I dont know if I am play minecraft or what. ITS HORRIBLE. Its absolutely annoying now that you can fly around. Burning crusade looks hundred times better, and it means so much with the draw distance increase when you can fly. you see it all the time.

The character models is understadnable because its such a big ass line of work. for example they seem unable to fix the male worgen problem.

if you want a "white" skin colored human worgen, your fur worgen, becomes grey. and thats why you have so many grey fur worgens running around in the beta. its retarded. but it's these limitations in their model system or something.

they have such a good thing going on now. Besides PvP(in all forms) which i wont get into, the skybox and the character models are the only things that really, really, really, really needed to be done for this expansion. This is the rerolling expansion. the we-start over, and do it all again. this shit should have been fixed. I am so dissapointed about this. Also because the sky is fantastic in, outland and northrend, and it ads SO MUCH. So much, it's insane. At this point I would take copy /pasted skyboxes from BC and Wrath over this. even if it wouldnt fit completely with the old world zones, it would be better than this shit.

I guess it just stands out so much more when you can see it from a top. I am not usually so graphic whoric.

HildyB

Cata CE is back on Amazon.com for Pre-order (was removed a month ago). Grab it for $79 while you can (and eBay it FTW?)

Flib

Vigilant Walrus said:
???

I am pretty sure that, that is a particle effect that came with the undead style buildings. whereever there is undead, there is that plauge haze. so the particle effect is new, but the GODDAM FUCKING SKYBOX IS THE SAME SHITTY SKYBOX.

EVERY TIME I FUCKING LOG IN, THE goddam sky is square and so fucking pixelated that I dont know if I am play minecraft or what. ITS HORRIBLE. Its absolutely annoying now that you can fly around. Burning crusade looks hundred times better, and it means so much with the draw distance increase when you can fly. you see it all the time.

The character models is understadnable because its such a big ass line of work. for example they seem unable to fix the male worgen problem.

if you want a "white" skin colored human worgen, your fur worgen, becomes grey. and thats why you have so many grey fur worgens running around in the beta. its retarded. but it's these limitations in their model system or something.

they have such a good thing going on now. Besides PvP(in all forms) which i wont get into, the skybox and the character models are the only things that really, really, really, really needed to be done for this expansion. This is the rerolling expansion. the we-start over, and do it all again. this shit should have been fixed. I am so dissapointed about this. Also because the sky is fantastic in, outland and northrend, and it ads SO MUCH. So much, it's insane. At this point I would take copy /pasted skyboxes from BC and Wrath over this. even if it wouldnt fit completely with the old world zones, it would be better than this shit.

I guess it just stands out so much more when you can see it from a top. I am not usually so graphic whoric.

It's especially disappointing after seeing the skybox in the vortex pinnacle.

Milpool

I've been going for the Beaststalker's Armor just for shits and gigles, just need 2 more pieces from the end bosses in Scholomance and UBRS but they just won't drop, I've racked up about 10 random gloves, belts and bracers from the other D1 sets. Luckily I found a way to skip the Rend Blackhand event using disengage.

On the plus side I had 2 Sawbone's Shirts drop in the space of 5 runs, wish I could sell 1. And Plans: Arcanite Champion seems to drop for me more often than not and is selling quickly for 150g. I up the price each time it drops.

Flib

I enjoy totalbiscuit's videos, but his podcasts are the worst " OMGZORS CAZUALS R RUINING THE GAME DURRR" bullshit, even if I agree with him much of the time.

Weenerz

Banned
Flib said:
I enjoy totalbiscuit's videos, but his podcasts are the worst " OMGZORS CAZUALS R RUINING THE GAME DURRR" bullshit, even if I agree with him much of the time.

TB is a total jackass, he ruined WC radio. I miss the other shows =(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flib said:
I still laugh at the concept of people who get angry that other people play the game as a diversion rather than a lifestyle.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
TB And Turpster are both totally jackasses in my opinion.
I listen to The Instance but sometimes Scott annoys me a little.

Zomba13

Sooo... I just got hacked =/
I don't think I've posted here before but I just want to know of any GAFers with experience being hacked and what and how did Blizz get your account and stuff back.

I've only been playing a month and a bit, maybe 2 months, and I don't know how I got hacked. As far as I know I don't have any keyloggers or trojans (doing a full system scan now just to be sure), I've not used any add-ons or visited/used any gold selling sites or done anything I can think of that would get my account hacked. My browsing habits haven't changed at all really except now I browse Wowhead when I need help with something.

I don't have any lvl 80 characters (highest 74 paladin) and the most gold I had was around 3800, saving up for Artisan flying so I can do the Netherwing quests. My other characters were a Death Knight at 63 with bugger all gold and items, a Troll Hunter I used as an AH mule and a Tauren Druid I barely played at lvl 7.

Will Blizz rollback my account to when I had my stuff? Will they catch who hacked my account by tracing who got sent mail or was traded large amount of gold? I'm just confused right now, I've never been hacked in any MMO I've played (FFXI, CO, Maple Story, Legend Of Mir, Guild Wars and probably more I'm forgetting).

notworksafe

Could be a Flash ad on WoWHead or another site. Is your Flash fully updated?

Otherwise just call or email Blizz and they'll put your stuff back to normal. Also add either an Authenticator or Dial-In Authenticator. There's no reason not to, now that the Dial-In is free (and the Mobile Authenticator is free/cheap depending on your mobile phone model). I assume they will probably block the IP of the person who jacked you, depending on how it was done (i.e. if it was at a chinese internet cafe, they probably can't).

The reason you weren't hacked before in those other MMOs is that those accounts are probably worth less than a 1/10 of a WoW account with gold or other items that can be sold for gold.

EDIT: Make sure you do your full scan while WoW is open, by the way. Most keyloggers don't activate until the program they want to capture is active. If you share an account/password between WoW and another site/program and logged into it while WoW was open that could have let the hacker grab your info as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting. Some ingenious poopsockers pioneers figured out that you can just keep the instant mount brooms from Halloween by just never taking them out of the pumpkin bags since the duration timers start when you loot the item.

HildyB

notworksafe said:

Otherwise just call or email Blizz and they'll put your stuff back to normal. Also add either an Authenticator or Dial-In Authenticator. There's no reason not to, now that the Dial-In is free. I assume they will probably block the IP of the person who jacked you, depending on how it was done (i.e. if it was at a chinese internet cafe, they probably can't).

The reason you weren't hacked before in those other MMOs is that those accounts are probably worth less than a 1/10 of a WoW account with gold or other items that can be sold for gold.

EDIT: Make sure you do your full scan while WoW is open, by the way. Most keyloggers don't activate until the program they want to capture is active. If you share an account/password between WoW and another site/program and logged into it while WoW was open that could have let the hacker grab your info as well.

All good advice. If you go to the support page there is an automated form now to que for restore. In the meantime get an authenticator, change your passwords, not just WoW password, other commonly accessed sites/apps on your gaming machine.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Zomba13 said:
Sooo... I just got hacked =/
I don't think I've posted here before but I just want to know of any GAFers with experience being hacked and what and how did Blizz get your account and stuff back.

I've only been playing a month and a bit, maybe 2 months, and I don't know how I got hacked. As far as I know I don't have any keyloggers or trojans (doing a full system scan now just to be sure), I've not used any add-ons or visited/used any gold selling sites or done anything I can think of that would get my account hacked. My browsing habits haven't changed at all really except now I browse Wowhead when I need help with something.

I don't have any lvl 80 characters (highest 74 paladin) and the most gold I had was around 3800, saving up for Artisan flying so I can do the Netherwing quests. My other characters were a Death Knight at 63 with bugger all gold and items, a Troll Hunter I used as an AH mule and a Tauren Druid I barely played at lvl 7.

Will Blizz rollback my account to when I had my stuff? Will they catch who hacked my account by tracing who got sent mail or was traded large amount of gold? I'm just confused right now, I've never been hacked in any MMO I've played (FFXI, CO, Maple Story, Legend Of Mir, Guild Wars and probably more I'm forgetting).

If you don't have one, i suggest you get an authenticator. They're not perfect, but it increase the safety of your account by 90%! They are either free or very cheap, depending if you have Iphone or other similar supported device or not.

DeathNote said:
You're kind of going off on a tangent at the end. Just because X is faster doesn't mean you can't enjoy Y. Like the internet in general owning every tv news and sports coverage. Some like to listen to a voice.

But, mmo-champion's blue tracker is amazing.

I like the yogscast guys but they only do a podcast a month, if that, it seems.

It was kind of a tangent, I recognize, but still relevant. I like to hear discussion/debate of new information on podcasts, which is usually better than forum discussion of the same topics. However, a lot of the WoW podcasts at least (from what I've listened to), don't really offer much in terms of quality discussion that makes them worth listening to over reading the news and forum discussion.

Zomba13

notworksafe said:

Otherwise just call or email Blizz and they'll put your stuff back to normal. Also add either an Authenticator or Dial-In Authenticator. There's no reason not to, now that the Dial-In is free (and the Mobile Authenticator is free/cheap depending on your mobile phone model). I assume they will probably block the IP of the person who jacked you, depending on how it was done (i.e. if it was at a chinese internet cafe, they probably can't).

Yeah, I'm gonna get an authenticator if I get my account back with everything. I'm gonna do the scan with WoW open. My Flash is up to date and I use adblock to block the ads on most sites. Hope this works out ok. I'm a bit hesitant to change my passwords on things yet in case it was a keylogger or something. Going to do a full scan first, plus I save most of my passwords so I auto log in on most sites I frequent.

Flib said:

Totally agree. He also stretches everything he talks about out, making him really obnoxious to listen to (podcast only here people) since he rants on about every single thing for 5-10 more minutes after he made the point he needed to make. If anything, a co-host would make that show way better by providing some balance.

Zomba13 said:
Yeah, I'm gonna get an authenticator if I get my account back with everything. I'm gonna do the scan with WoW open. My Flash is up to date and I use adblock to block the ads on most sites. Hope this works out ok. I'm a bit hesitant to change my passwords on things yet in case it was a keylogger or something. Going to do a full scan first, plus I save most of my passwords so I auto log in on most sites I frequent.
Use NoScript too... It's a bit of a hassle at first to set up with your "allowed sites" but I think it's pretty helpful.

Also :lol at the "keep your wow account safer than bank account" line. It's true man! So funny.

Anyway, I was just tooling around on the mobile wow app for iPhone and noticed that the talent calculator for paladin reflects the change in Divine Storm (no more using charges of holy power). This isn't in game yet, right? I wonder when that change is going to go live since they already have it live on the official tool...

Alex

Totalbiscuit has nice videos, and his commentary is good, but when he goes into any form of editorial mode that's when you switch off. His podcast is just insufferable, IMO.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyway, I was just tooling around on the mobile wow app for iPhone and noticed that the talent calculator for paladin reflects the change in Divine Storm (no more using charges of holy power). This isn't in game yet, right? I wonder when that change is going to go live since they already have it live on the official tool...
4.0.3a I believe....so next week?

joelseph

Seeing TB commentate at a SC2 totally changed my view on the kid. He actually wears his hat in public, I have to give him props.

Macattk15

You guys think when Cata launches that there will be new servers that allow free transfers?

I would love to start on a new server ... since I'll be leveling a Worgen from 1-85. But I'd also love to have all my heirlooms ... mains ... etc. with me as well.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
You guys think when Cata launches that there will be new servers that allow free transfers?

I would love to start on a new server ... since I'll be leveling a Worgen from 1-85. But I'd also love to have all my heirlooms ... mains ... etc. with me as well.
I don't think they are going to add servers. The actual playerbase is not bigger than the capacity added when Wrath started and there are lots of servers that are either incredibly imbalanced or just plain underpopulated.

I imagine free xfers will be offered, but probably not to new ones.

Macattk15 said:

New servers aren't all that great anyway - it's fun when everyone is leveling, but getting to endgame, the limited talent funnels into 2-3 guilds, and if any of those have issues, people disperse and server transfer, leaving a server effectively dead (no huge raiding economy, no good guilds to join for raiding, etc.)

If you aren't concerned with endgame (or would just transfer off anyway), then by all means go ahead if they do open new servers (which seems unlikely at the moment.)

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
I don't think they are going to add servers. The actual playerbase is not bigger than the capacity added when Wrath started and there are lots of servers that are either incredibly imbalanced or just plain underpopulated.

I imagine free xfers will be offered, but probably not to new ones.

Then I'll just bank on free xfers somewhere I guess. I hope it happens. Real sick of my current server and the 2 feuding high end guilds (me being in one of them) constantly bickering and creating drama between themselves.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
New servers aren't all that great anyway - it's fun when everyone is leveling, but getting to endgame, the limited talent funnels into 2-3 guilds, and if any of those have issues, people disperse and server transfer, leaving a server effectively dead (no huge raiding economy, no good guilds to join for raiding, etc.)

If you aren't concerned with endgame (or would just transfer off anyway), then by all means go ahead if they do open new servers (which seems unlikely at the moment.)

Oh I'm interested in end game ... just not currently where I am. I also don't wanna pay $50 to move my 2 geared / well funded / capped professions characters over to where the new one will be created.

Evlar

Banned
They'll create new servers as necessary, not automatically with the launch of Cataclysm. If they do it'll probably be a short time after December 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom