• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Macattk15 said:
Then I'll just bank on free xfers somewhere I guess. I hope it happens. Real sick of my current server and the 2 feuding high end guilds (me being in one of them) constantly bickering and creating drama between themselves.

Oh I'm interested in end game ... just not currently where I am. I also don't wanna pay $50 to move my 2 geared / well funded / capped professions characters over to where the new one will be created.

Are you still on Trollbane?

Macattk15

Flib said:
Are you still on Trollbane?

Nope. Quite some time ago I server & faction xfer'ed my Rogue who was in Onslaught over to my original Alliance server of Stonemaul and joined A Team.

I still have friends on Trollbane but I don't wanna play there either.

Flib

Macattk15 said:
Nope. Quite some time ago I server & faction xfer'ed my Rogue who was in Onslaught over to my original Alliance server of Stonemaul and joined A Team.

I still have friends on Trollbane but I don't wanna play there either.

Just making sure. Leaving that server was a really good decision.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
It was kind of a tangent, I recognize, but still relevant. I like to hear discussion/debate of new information on podcasts, which is usually better than forum discussion of the same topics. However, a lot of the WoW podcasts at least (from what I've listened to), don't really offer much in terms of quality discussion that makes them worth listening to over reading the news and forum discussion.
They can be a lot better, but I use multuiple resources to have a combined effect. No one ever said podcasts were going to be their main resource. Podcasts don't have to be a resource for the latest WOW info. You can simply enjoy the personality of this and that guy talking. You keep trying to devalue them when no one is saying they are better than X for info.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Macattk15 said:
You guys think when Cata launches that there will be new servers that allow free transfers?

I would love to start on a new server ... since I'll be leveling a Worgen from 1-85. But I'd also love to have all my heirlooms ... mains ... etc. with me as well.

Chances are they'll do 1 or 2 of each.

Kind of related: When they offer free transfers, do they let you move from PVP to PVE? I'm very tired of "world pvp" (read: ganking lowbies once you're level capped) and wouldn't mind leaving it behind.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Kind of related: When they offer free transfers, do they let you move from PVP to PVE? I'm very tired of "world pvp" (read: ganking lowbies once you're level capped) and wouldn't mind leaving it behind.
Yep. You can move from any server type to any other server type now. IIRC it's been like that for a year or so...not sure.

EDIT: Oh free transfers. Those are only from certain servers to certain other ones. Usually a high pop server to a low pop. Like Mal'Ganis to Zangarmarsh or some such thing. They are very specific.

Paid transfers let you go to any server you'd like.

Evlar

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I think so, that's how I recall it. They're more permissive of people moving from PvP to PvE than the other way around.

EDIT: Even that doesn't matter anymore it seems.

J-Rzez

Blizzard Entertainment said:
In patch 4.0.3, Wintergrasp queuing was changed so that each battle attempts to match the factions at a 1-to-1 ratio. This is the exact system being used for Tol Barad in Cataclysm. While we understand that this inflates queue times for factions which are vastly overpopulated on select realms, we prefer this system over using Tenacity. In addition, the new system at least encourages playing on a faction that's better balanced against the opposing faction. With the old Wintergrasp functionality, players were almost encouraged to be on an overpopulated faction, further contributing to realm balance issues.

That said, we'll review realms with significant faction imbalances on a case-by-case basis in the event we need to take further action.

Heh, let the backpeddling begin. Looks like they were taking a lot of heat from this, as they should with it being one of the most retarded things they've tried to pull, only being topped by the Real ID fiasco. I mean who there sat down and thought, "you know instead of that tenacity thing, we should just lock out players that happened to end up being on an imbalanced server, that way they'll get punished and artificially locked out of content that they pay monthly for of reasons that are out of their control".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Heh, let the backpeddling begin. Looks like they were taking a lot of heat from this, as they should with it being one of the most retarded things they've tried to pull, only being topped by the Real ID fiasco. I mean who there sat down and thought, "you know instead of that tenacity thing, we should just lock out players that happened to end up being on an imbalanced server, that way they'll get punished and artificially locked out of content that they pay monthly for of reasons that are out of their control".
If anything, you're reliable. It's always about "us v. them;" just don't lump the rest of the sane WoW-playing world in with you, since in reality it's just your own personal, slightly deranged and petty grievances.

I estimate it will take about 3 days after launch for you to scour the lowbie zones in 4.0.3a to find a quest that hasn't been altered from Vanilla WoW and declare Blizzard was too lazy to replace it with something better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Azwethinkweiz said:
Horde members on Mal'Ganis would be allowed to do Wintergrasp approximately twice a year.
Instance Wintergrasp's battle. Problem solved.

Flib

Vigilant Walrus said:
*nods*

Is that instance better now? Or more fun? I heard some complaining about the encounters in this one!

I think it's a fun dungeon, but unfortunately you can just zerg it and don't really have to pay attention to the mechanics.

Like the second boss, the dragon who changes the wind direction...I still have no idea what that ability actually does, and don't pay attention to it. Some guy in one of my groups said everyone is supposed to move, but standing still does absolutely nothing so what's the point?

edit: just looked this up:

■Upwind of Altairus—Standing upwind of Altairus makes it easier to attack and cast spells. Attack and casting speed are increased by 75%. Movement speed is increased by 30%
■Downwind of Altairus—Standing downwind of Altairus makes it harder to attack and cast spells. Attack and casting speed are decreased by 75%. Movement speed is decreased by 30%

He goes down so fast that I've never noticed this.

Alex

I hate tenacity, so I like the attempt, but the double faction nonsense will always cause too many problems on almost every individual server for this to work out.

They'd be best off to instance WG and TB, give individual game winners a good reward but base the control of the zones off of the top wins in the region.

I still think they should add to the circuit though, I like the concept of WG and TB, and they are fun, but they could do a lot more with the format, such as not stick us with one zone, regardless of size or detail, for a whole expansion.

What I'd like to see:

1.) Take the now diminished Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest and turn them into world zones with some quests and persistant meaning.

2.) Update them, along with Wintergrasp to function at 85

3.) Put them all, along with Tol Barad in rotating cycle for the buff/control of a zone/access to the raid boss.

Flib

Like the first two out of three bosses in the vortex pinnacle feel like they're missing an ability. For that dragon, you need some sort of enrage/heightening damage mechanic that actually presents a need for staying on top of the wind direction. For the first boss, you need something more than "spread out when cyclones are out, collapse when cyclones collapse...or ignore both and just easily heal through it."

Evlar

Banned
Alex said:
I hate tenacity, so I like the attempt, but the double faction nonsense will always cause too many problems on almost every individual server for this to work out.

They'd be best off to instance WG and TB, give individual game winners a good reward but base the control of the zones off of the top wins in the region.

I still think they should add to the circuit though, I like the concept of WG and TB, and they are fun, but they could do a lot more with the format, such as not stick us with one zone, regardless of size or detail, for a whole expansion.

What I'd like to see:

1.) Take the now diminished Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest and turn them into world zones with some quests and persistant meaning.

2.) Update them, along with Wintergrasp to function at 85

3.) Put them all, along with Tol Barad in rotating cycle for the buff/control of a zone/access to the raid boss.
That would be OK in general, but I nevertheless would really hate to lose AV Battleground.

Alex

I'd rather see them take it off the BG circuit, revert it to it's original form and speed it up/tweak it to work within a 30 minute time period.

Current AV has it's moments, but it's depressing to see all of the abandoned concepts and landmass and mechanics in it.

notworksafe

Seriously. AV used to be the shit, now it's just a shell. There are players in the game right now that have never seen the Ice Lord summoned! I mean, come on!

Alex

Is he still in the game? I haven't seen either of the summoned bosses since at least pre-BC. I remember when they dropped LOOT!

Current AV was *WAY TOO FUCKING LONG* and had plenty of issues, but now that their tech and design has matured so much it's time to bring it back and put it back and fix it up to run how it was but on a good schedule.

Redoing AV and making a circuit of it, Isle, WG, and TB would be great. Call 'em Warfields!

I'm sure some folks at Blizz are probably so sick of trying to fuck with AV though :lol But come on, they even got Siege vehicles in the game now. Do something with it! Let us summon shit, turn in scraps and meaingfully take mines again.

notworksafe

The NPCs that summon Ivus and Lokholar are still in the BG, but it's pretty much impossible to get people to turn in 200 of their respective summoning items.

Rokam

Alex said:
If they redo AV, they should also make the Alliance bridge twice as long and covered with mines.

Mines that knock you sideways. Christmas time with the snowballs was so much fun!

Atomski

notworksafe said:
Seriously. AV used to be the shit, now it's just a shell. There are players in the game right now that have never seen the Ice Lord summoned! I mean, come on!

The only reason they shortened (killed it) was cause of the awful token system. Now that the token system is gone they should bring back the old epic AV that lasted for hours.

Rokam

Atomski said:
The only reason they shortened (killed it) was cause of the awful token system. Now that the token system is gone they should bring back the old epic AV that lasted for days.

Fixed that for you. I loved going to bed and waking up only to find the same AV still going. :lol

Alex

No, not the original length Hours is an understatement, those fuckers could go on for days.

30m to 1hr would be good.

Fixed that for you. I loved going to bed and waking up only to find the same AV still going.

With some of the same people still inside... :lol

Evlar

Banned
Alex said:
Is he still in the game? I haven't seen either of the summoned bosses since at least pre-BC. I remember when they dropped LOOT!

Current AV was *WAY TOO FUCKING LONG* and had plenty of issues, but now that their tech and design has matured so much it's time to bring it back and put it back and fix it up to run how it was but on a good schedule.

Redoing AV and making a circuit of it, Isle, WG, and TB would be great. Call 'em Warfields!

I'm sure some folks at Blizz are probably so sick of trying to fuck with AV though :lol But come on, they even got Siege vehicles in the game now. Do something with it! Let us summon shit, turn in scraps and meaingfully take mines again.
I saw Ivus summoned about four months ago. I don't think the large majority of the Horde team knew what on earth was going on. I know for certain about half of the Alliance team didn't understand it either, despite the BG chatter on starting him.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Atomski said:
The only reason they shortened (killed it) was cause of the awful token system. Now that the token system is gone they should bring back the old epic AV that lasted for hours.
Hours were after the revise. Originally... it only ended at server restarts.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
If anything, you're reliable. It's always about "us v. them;" just don't lump the rest of the sane WoW-playing world in with you, since in reality it's just your own personal, slightly deranged and petty grievances.

I estimate it will take about 3 days after launch for you to scour the lowbie zones in 4.0.3a to find a quest that hasn't been altered from Vanilla WoW and declare Blizzard was too lazy to replace it with something better.

Naw, I don't care about quests like that. In fact, I view other things even less of a gripe than others. For example, the "ZOMG dragon screech at title screen" that people were flipping out about. I couldn't give a shit about that and told people they were overreacting. Now, on the other hand, tell me I can't do content I pay for because there's far less alliance that play, let alone queue on my server, thus locking me out of gear and such and I get pissed. The only "trivial" gripe I have is the Dance Studio nonsense really. Everything else has a direct impact on my enjoyment of the game while I'm playing it at least. Cata's turning out to be a mixed bag so far for me, but yet I still checked in my personal time at work so I can have two days at launch to myself. :D

Azwethinkweiz said:
Horde members on Mal'Ganis would be allowed to do Wintergrasp approximately twice a year.

And now Tol Barad or whatever WG 2.0 is in Cata. It'll be the same for me.

Cata will be amazing, I am having to much fun leveling on PTR

One thing that needs to be fixed is that I am out leveling content, I did one instance now I have a bunch of greens/gray quests because of it.

Thats a good and bad thing, for one I don't like dungeoning non stop like you had to before but I did like getting in once and awhile for some gear.

mclem

DeathNote said:
I know I've experience 5 people always grouping together and me having 0 with certain guilds.

That's something I'm aware I've been guilty of in the past, and I'm looking to try to make amends without burning myself out in the process. Here's hoping, anyway!

Rokam

GhostRidah said:
One thing that needs to be fixed is that I am out leveling content, I did one instance now I have a bunch of greens/gray quests because of it.

I agree. I'm not even going to bother using heirlooms once the patch hits.

Zomba13

Just finished a full system scan with WoW running in the background and found 4 threats. 1 was something in the Java install directory, and the rest were in temp docs or something. 1 was smss.exe which according to the google searches I ran means it's a virus if found outside of sys32 (which it was so I told my anti-virus to delete it). 1 was also a possible key-logger/trojan and is gone and another 31905730.exe had no hits on google so I deleted it anyway, to be safe. Ran a quick scan afterwards and found nothing, scanned my removable drives and nothing and now running another full scan just to be safe. Filled out the account restoration thing and changed my passwords.
Hopefully it's gone. Just wish I knew where it came from and how it got on my computer.

EDIT: Is it safe to play on the account now or will it mess up the recovery process? It will apparently take 10-12 hours (or up to 2 working days) and I'm fine with that, I just want to check if any of the stuff I had on the AH is still there/sold. Not like I can do much with no equips lol

Weenerz

Banned
Get an authenticator ASAP and then you can stop worrying about your WoW information getting jacked. If you have a smartphone, the mobile authenticator is free.

notworksafe

Zomba13 said:
Just finished a full system scan with WoW running in the background and found 4 threats. 1 was something in the Java install directory, and the rest were in temp docs or something. 1 was smss.exe which according to the google searches I ran means it's a virus if found outside of sys32 (which it was so I told my anti-virus to delete it). 1 was also a possible key-logger/trojan and is gone and another 31905730.exe had no hits on google so I deleted it anyway, to be safe. Ran a quick scan afterwards and found nothing, scanned my removable drives and nothing and now running another full scan just to be safe. Filled out the account restoration thing and changed my passwords.
Hopefully it's gone. Just wish I knew where it came from and how it got on my computer.

EDIT: Is it safe to play on the account now or will it mess up the recovery process? It will apparently take 10-12 hours (or up to 2 working days) and I'm fine with that, I just want to check if any of the stuff I had on the AH is still there/sold. Not like I can do much with no equips lol
You'll get stuff through the in-game mail service as far as gear goes. Not sure if it will mess up character recovery. I recommend adding the Dial-In Authenticator RIGHT NOW. It's in your Battle.net account under security options. This is a free way to make sure that people won't be logging in from other countries.

Then either order the $6 Authenticator from the Blizzard Store (http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000822) or add the Mobile Authenticator to your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android for free or to another mobile phone for a $1-2 charge. http://mobile.blizzard.com/shared/b...e.net Mobile Authenticator&country=us&lang=en

Both those links assume you are the in US, just a heads up. You'll need a different Authenticator if you are in Europe/Asia/Canada/OZ/etc.

Lolligag

Wish someone asked if the Female Worgen model was the final one in that Bestbuy thing. I couldn't queue up.

Actually, I wish people asked better questions in general. A good portion of them could've gotten an answer from a quick google.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Cata will be amazing, I am having to much fun leveling on PTR

Thats a good and bad thing, for one I don't like dungeoning non stop like you had to before but I did like getting in once and awhile for some gear.
You can always just do the grey for fun or turn XP off. Might turn into a few hundred gold spent eventually.

What I'm worried about is BGs. I was getting almost a level a win a few weeks ago. Seems 1/4th-ish now. Turning XP off in the puts you with twinks.

Zomba13

notworksafe said:
You'll get stuff through the in-game mail service as far as gear goes. Not sure if it will mess up character recovery. I recommend adding the Dial-In Authenticator RIGHT NOW. It's in your Battle.net account under security options. This is a free way to make sure that people won't be logging in from other countries.

Then either order the $6 Authenticator from the Blizzard Store (http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000822) or add the Mobile Authenticator to your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android for free or to another mobile phone for a $1-2 charge. http://mobile.blizzard.com/shared/b...e.net Mobile Authenticator&country=us&lang=en

Both those links assume you are the in US, just a heads up. You'll need a different Authenticator if you are in Europe/Asia/Canada/OZ/etc.

Weenerz said:
Get an authenticator ASAP and then you can stop worrying about your WoW information getting jacked. If you have a smartphone, the mobile authenticator is free.

Thanks. I plan on getting the authenticator app on my ipod touch when it arrives.

theultimo

Zomba13 said:
Sooo... I just got hacked =/
I don't think I've posted here before but I just want to know of any GAFers with experience being hacked and what and how did Blizz get your account and stuff back.

I've only been playing a month and a bit, maybe 2 months, and I don't know how I got hacked. As far as I know I don't have any keyloggers or trojans (doing a full system scan now just to be sure), I've not used any add-ons or visited/used any gold selling sites or done anything I can think of that would get my account hacked. My browsing habits haven't changed at all really except now I browse Wowhead when I need help with something.

I don't have any lvl 80 characters (highest 74 paladin) and the most gold I had was around 3800, saving up for Artisan flying so I can do the Netherwing quests. My other characters were a Death Knight at 63 with bugger all gold and items, a Troll Hunter I used as an AH mule and a Tauren Druid I barely played at lvl 7.

Will Blizz rollback my account to when I had my stuff? Will they catch who hacked my account by tracing who got sent mail or was traded large amount of gold? I'm just confused right now, I've never been hacked in any MMO I've played (FFXI, CO, Maple Story, Legend Of Mir, Guild Wars and probably more I'm forgetting).

Best thing I have ever done is got an authenticator. My friends b.net account was hacked, and lost his SC2, WC3, and WoW accounts....took him 2 months to get it resolved. Its much, MUCH harder with an authenticator.

notworksafe

And with the dial-in authenticator a bit of security is available to everyone for free now. All you need is a telephoner number.

There's really zero excuse for not having your account protected, in almost all cases.

Weenerz

Banned
The actual authenticator is only like $6, and free shipping. A great investment. It's a shame there are assholes in the world that force people to buy these security things, but it is what it is.

I had a mobile authenticator, but since my iphone broke twice and I had to fax documents into blizzard to get it unlocked, I recommended a dedicated one.

Yaweee

So can you roll Dwarven Shamans, or Tauren Paladins/Priests on the PTR? I'm hoping Blizzard dropped needing the expansion to create them for no reason.

Rokam

Yaweee said:
So can you roll Dwarven Shamans, or Tauren Paladins/Priests on the PTR? I'm hoping Blizzard dropped needing the expansion to create them for no reason.

Never needed the expansion to play them :D. They'll be released before Cata hits.

Chris R

I got http://www.wowhead.com/item=50469 last night after running a bunch of dungeons during my free 7 days. Only had a single group that was ultra fail (tried to pull the entire first room of that spider zone, didn't go well :lol )

Been pretty fun playing again after a year+ break, almost has me wanting to buy the collector's edition of Cata :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom