• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
This is my problem with the term "Wrath baby." It just grates at me in so many ways.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that none of the top-end guilds are saying this. All of those guilds were around in vanilla and all of them were unanimous in saying the hard-mode encounters like Yogg-0 are legitimately the hardest fights that WoW has ever had, barring non-completable fights like the first incarnation of C'thun.

Yogg was T8. Yogg had new mechanics. :D

mcrae

water_wendi said:
You are just so leet. "If you dont like it you are a baby." :lol

i wasnt talking about my skill level. i was talking about difficulty out of your control is annoying. With Raids its fine because you practice with the same people to become effective at your task. Wiping to learn a raid is fine in my book because you are learning together as a team. Wiping to learn a heroic in Dungeon Finder is a waste of fucking time because the next time you queue its going to be with different people and school is in session again.

the obvious answer here is: if you can find 24 people to group at the same time each week, you can find 4.

Is one faction on your server more immature than the other? I've been trading darkmoon cards during the past couple weeks and alliance trade chat is pretty ridiculous. On horde we get a few idiots trying to start the anal [link] thing or similar memes but most people ignore them and it never gets going. On alliance it seems like everyone just feeds off each other and most of trade chat is just trolls talking shit. I ended up turning trade and say off and just having my tell window open while I spammed for trades.

cuevas said:
Is one faction on your server more immature than the other? I've been trading darkmoon cards during the past couple weeks and alliance trade chat is pretty ridiculous. On horde we get a few idiots trying to start the anal [link] thing or similar memes but most people ignore them and it never gets going. On alliance it seems like everyone just feeds off each other and most of trade chat is just trolls talking shit. I ended up turning trade and say off and just having my tell window open while I spammed for trades.

Depends on the time of day and the zone, but I have found that Alliance, throughout the game, have been more childish than Horde as a whole.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
AceBandage said:
Depends on the time of day and the zone, but I have found that Alliance, throughout the game, have been more childish than Horde as a whole.
That has been my experience as well.

mcrae said:
the obvious answer here is: if you can find 24 people to group at the same time each week, you can find 4.
But i havent raided in years and dont plan to. The guild i belong to is a small one made up of irl friends and im not going to join a raiding guild or one of these new 950+ member megaguilds.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AceBandage said:

I don't play Horde, but I'm willing to believe you. Alliance trade chat is horrific.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SatelliteOfLove said:
Yogg was T8. Yogg had new mechanics. :D
LK-25 Heroic was harder than almost any encounter other than Yogg-0 though, without resorting to bullshit like resist gear.

AceBandage said:

Historically, I think this is really heavily affected by population. Immature players are far more likely to bandwagon and show up on an already winning side. When I was first playing I really, truly felt that the chat and overall behavior of every Alliance side I ever visited was dramatically worse than the Horde, but this was also the period of a 2:1 global population imbalance. In the post-belf era, I imagine this is a lot more server-specific.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This weekend my friend and I have been giant nerds and have done nothing but play WoW (especially because the weather has been crap).

Started the weekend at 74. I'm about 2/3 into 79, looking to hit 80 today, and head into Vashj'ir asap.

Really looking forward to the Cata zones.

moojito

I'm really enjoying the journey up to 85 on my goblin mage. Currently level 40 and just started in thousand needles. The whole 5 levels per zone, new and varied quests and clear signs showing you where to go next is really well done.

I remember the days of wondering aimlessly around at level 37 or so, too high really to start in stv and too low for badlands, trying to find some quests to bump me up and not sure where to go. Bad times.

Also, dinged 81 on my warrior today by doing nothing but the daily JC quest since cata launched! :D

charlequin said:
Historically, I think this is really heavily affected by population. Immature players are far more likely to bandwagon and show up on an already winning side. When I was first playing I really, truly felt that the chat and overall behavior of every Alliance side I ever visited was dramatically worse than the Horde, but this was also the period of a 2:1 global population imbalance. In the post-belf era, I imagine this is a lot more server-specific.
Even though this thread is a very small part of the wow community it does seem like a trend. I think kids are more likely to roll a cool good guy hero character and try to be legolas or a want-to-be 300 human warrior.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
cuevas said:
Even though this thread is a very small part of the wow community it does seem like a trend. I think kids are more likely to roll a cool good guy hero character and try to be legolas or a want-to-be 300 human warrior.
As much as this is probably right it really confuses me. When i was a kid id much rather be an undead or a minotaur :lol

notworksafe

water_wendi said:
As much as this is probably right it really confuses me. When i was a kid id much rather be an undead or a minotaur :lol
Same here. I've been a fan of the Orcs and Trolls since I played WC1 and 2 as a kid.

water_wendi said:
Yeah but what kind of stuff were you involved with as a kid? Movies like LOTR, Narnia, and 300 is what has come out recently.

My first character was a gnome :)

Edit: Goku.

Alex

Alliance on our server is great.

Horde is absolutely miserable.

But it really, really varies from server to server. Last server I was on was the exact opposite.

Angry Grimace said:
LK-25 Heroic was harder than almost any encounter other than Yogg-0 though, without resorting to bullshit like resist gear.

Some folks don't count hard modes as content, which cracks me up to no end. It really speaks of their mindset. They zerg heroics, they zerg the normal modes after getting overgeared or after nerfs/buffs then whine about how easy it is while ignoring hard modes. This is a real thing people do.

But Ulduar in general was really fun, challenging content especially on hard. Even the lesser stuff. Classical WoW and even a lot of BC was difficulty through obnoxious tuning for a lot of the fights, especially pre-end boss. The height of the iteration bosses though, like C'thun, Vashj, Kael, etc are all very memorable, but huge swaths of the shit before them? Ugh.

Regardless of any issues Wrath created, it's encounter design for raiding was generally a lot more interesting and legitimately difficult when taken on appropriately.

TheYanger

hamchan said:
Yeah I was using the full pvp gear. Guess I'll change to the 5 piece set and see what happens.

Anyways thanks guys, I'll go examine the way I'm playing. Maybe I'm following the rotation wrong or something.

Remember that it's not a 'rotation' at all. Just remember to keep your priorities right and you'll be set.
Ghoul transformation - keep the uptime as high as possible, use it at the most opportune times if a fight demands it. If the transformation is close to wearing off, I pool RP a bit, if I proc a sudden doom within a few seconds of it ending, I save it up. The transformation is THAT good, you want to be able to do it again as soon as possible after it ends. Don't sit on rp for 15 seconds waiting, but learn to pool at least a fair bit before it's done. If you're on a fight like Magmaw where there's a phase with double damage, try to time your dark transformation for that part, always use unholy frenzy in conjunction with it.
Aside from that, outbreak, sudden doom procs, scourge strikes, festering strike, death coil, pretty much in that order, and just watch to make sure that you're not letting runes sit inefficiently (One of each type always on cooldown, oone of each 'up' is fine), and that you're not overcapping your RP.

If you're having trouble with it, make sure you've got a really good rune mod and ui setup for seeing your disease times, runes, procs, dark transformation time, etc. There's a lot of split second decision making that goes on in a DK rotation, and while it's easy your UI needs to be set up to properly make those.

Macattk15

Nothing angers me more than when I see people like Angryhomie or Unholyboy with Zin'rokh yet I've put in more than 4300 fragments to try and get it.

They probably got it on their first solve too.

Blizzard rewardin' retards.

Macattk15 said:
Nothing angers me more than when I see people like Angryhomie or Unholyboy with Zin'rokh yet I've put in more than 4300 fragments to try and get it.

What makes them retards?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cuevas said:
What makes them retards?
They didn't poop in the sock. :lol

Alex said:
Alliance on our server is great.

Horde is absolutely miserable.

But it really, really varies from server to server. Last server I was on was the exact opposite.

Some folks don't count hard modes as content, which cracks me up to no end. It really speaks of their mindset. They zerg heroics, they zerg the normal modes after getting overgeared or after nerfs/buffs then whine about how easy it is while ignoring hard modes. This is a real thing people do.

But Ulduar in general was really fun, challenging content especially on hard. Even the lesser stuff. Classical WoW and even a lot of BC was difficulty through obnoxious tuning for a lot of the fights, especially pre-end boss. The height of the iteration bosses though, like C'thun, Vashj, Kael, etc are all very memorable, but huge swaths of the shit before them? Ugh.

Regardless of any issues Wrath created, it's encounter design for raiding was generally a lot more interesting and legitimately difficult when taken on appropriately.

Hard modes was basically the perfect solution to Blizzard's problem. I can't really fathom what is wrong with them other than they are too hard for those players who whine about the game being too easy without doing them. Apparently they are in-between difficulties. :D

Alex

Just get a darn arena weapon to hold you over, they're pretty easy to earn. Bout five wins for two weeks for a main hand, an extra week if it's a two hander. Archeology should be ignored until improved, some of the lore is neat and it has potential but it's just so half-baked on the effort to reward ratio right now.

I scold my friend for doing it constantly. He hates it, he bitches about it, he still does it! Stop it! :lol

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
Just get a darn arena weapon to hold you over. Archeology should be ignored until improved.
I did a lot of it, before determining the chance of ever getting anything good is almost nothing regardless of how much you do it.

Macattk15

cuevas said:
What makes them retards?

Oh please. I've played WoW long enough and ran across enough people to know that a Blood Elf DK named Unholyboy most likely acts retarded.

Alex said:
Just get a darn arena weapon to hold you over, they're pretty easy to earn. Bout five wins for two weeks for a main hand, an extra week if it's a two hander. Archeology should be ignored until improved, some of the lore is neat and it has potential but it's just so half-baked on the effort to reward ratio right now.

I scold my friend for doing it constantly. He hates it, he bitches about it, he still does it! Stop it! :lol

I do have an arena weapon but for PvE it pales in comparison to Zin'rokh.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stonemaul/therios/simple

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
After watching some of those videos by Raegwyn, I'm tempted to see what sort of stuff I can solo on my pally. Prot has some nice survivability thanks to WoG, and other abilities, so I figure I'll give it a whirl. May have to put together a custom set to balance survivability with damage output, but I reckon such a project will keep me busy for a while since I usually run solo with the exception of a few heroics, and the occasional weekend raid.

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Oh please. I've played WoW long enough and ran across enough people to know that a Blood Elf DK named Unholyboy most likely acts retarded.
The problem is that nobody knew what the basis of your problem with it was and the only way to glean that information was to speculate. :lol

Alex

Macattk15 said:

I do have an arena weapon but for PvE it pales in comparison to Zin'rokh.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stonemaul/therios/simple

Miss a smidge of secondary stats or grind your life away doing an unfinished profession? I think I'd pick the first one. Just hang it up for now, it's just not worth it.

Grats man, I like the way those look more than the stone drakes.

I just finished this achevement last week. Going south was a bitch and a half.
muPyP.jpg

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/destromath/bawks/simple

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rokam said:
Question for any prot warriors out there, is Vigilance worth getting anymore if you're only doing 5 mans?
I don't find it to be very useful.

Macattk15

Alex said:
Miss a smidge of secondary stats or grind your life away doing an unfinished profession? I think I'd pick the first one. Just hang it up for now, it's just not worth it.

But I'm Fury PvE :(

One Vicious weapon only makes me alright in one slot :(

LowParry

Pookaki said:
Grats man, I like the way those look more than the stone drakes.

Sucks that the drakes are glitched right now with the rider not being on the back. But they're hella good looking for a flying mount.

That, and most MMOs before WoW had the ersatz friendly LotR races as playable, few had "Hordey" ones, and those tended to not be popular. Hence, that's why only my current server (Skullcrusher) at release had a horde majority; many were FAR worse in the other direction, especially PvE servers.

Belfs, mixing and back-and-forthing of players, and a game design hewing to the "one size fits all" experience has helped even the overall tide, but many heavily out of whack servers remain in both directions.

Angry Grimace said:

Wwwwhich is not what I was talking about or had already said.

Trickster

Macattk15 said:

Did you also try and farm things like the Headmaster's Charge and Runeblade of Baron Rivendare in vanilla wow and get pissy when you didn't get it and others did?

Macattk15

Trickster said:
Did you also try and farm things like the Headmaster's Charge and Runeblade of Baron Rivendare in vanilla wow and get pissy when you didn't get it and others did?

Yes.

I got the Runeblade though.

Cyrillus

Trickster said:

Yep, I sure did. I also got pissy when someone pulling 2k dps in Vault would always win the mammoth mount if it dropped. You can say I'm a prick for feeling that way, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel that way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm really starting to understand how much the server you play on affects your experience.
I really need to change servers.

Angry Grimace

So I finished Deepholm, and from what I can tell, despite Metzen claiming Thrall is super-ultra important, his entire role in Cataclysm is standing there giving out a single breadcrumb quest.

Angry Grimace said:
So I finished Deepholm, and from what I can tell, despite Metzen claiming Thrall is super-ultra important, his entire role in Cataclysm is standing there giving out a single breadcrumb quest.

Until he comes in on the last fight vs Deathwing and helps you defeat him!

Weenerz

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

Yes, the expansion ends with Deepholme.

Angry Grimace

Weenerz said:
Yes, the expansion ends with Deepholme.
You're perfectly aware of the context of the post, but just pretending you aren't for some unfathomable purpose. I'm very obviously talking about the questing experience here.

thetrin

Was listening to Legends of Azeroth today on a whim (the main menu music from classic WoW), and man, that was a great theme.

Still outdoes the others, if you ask me.

cdyhybrid

So I'm trying to get the Archaeology AddOn package on the front page of Curse up and running (Archy + Arh + GatherMate2). However, I can't get the nodes in the GatherMate2 LUA file I DLed to show up on the HUD in Arh. When I first DLed the LUA, I unzipped it into the GatherMate2 folder and replaced that LUA. I then, based on some reading, thought I needed to replace the LUA file in the SavedVariables folder in the WTF subfolders for my account. However, it's still not showing up. Do I need GatherMate to have GatherMate2 work? I'm so damn lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom