• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

DeathNote said:
Awesome, thanks for the Engineering info.

Can you still specialize in Goblin or Gnomish and is there any reason to?

I wasn't a high enough level when I did that quest. Looks like I can go back and talk to her?

You can, there's not MUCH different, particularly at cataclysm levels. You get different pets at cataclysm levels, and a few different gear (crazier, more "flavor" gear in gnomish and a few extra bombs/etc in goblin)

Also the porters are different.. gadgetzan/toshley station for gnomish, and everlook/area 52 for goblin.

Retro

Rez said:
That being said, as this is my first WOW character, there is a lot of cool implied or imagined narrative moments for me. At the moment it's like I'm actually exploring some vast, more brutal uncharted bit of land relative to the all the stuff in Azeroth (I don't actually know why the Outlands are the Outlands, I assume it's another planet or a bit of planet teleported away or something, I don't really care because it's much cooler to just make it up as I explore the environment) and the less hand-holdy quest design is kind of enhancing that feeling.

For what it's worth, Outland is the home world of the Orcs and Spacegoats. The Dark Portal was opened by Mediveh (see the Black Morass instance), allowing the Horde to invade Azeroth during Warcraft I. Due to the events of Warcraft II, Ner'zhul tried to open more portals to other worlds for which the Horde to escape the Alliance expedition. All of the energy from the portals basically shattered Outland, which is why it's so fragmentary.

Rez said:
But in the end it is a shame. I'd much rather be exploring these fantastically detailed zones (seriously, the looks of Zangermarsh, T Forest, Nagrand and even Hellfire are stunning) with the 2010-style heavily-directed quest design. It almost feels like these zones are being given a disservice in their current state. I don't see how Blizzard could justify a total rework of them, though. I wish they would, it would make alt leveling much more pleasant. I'd be fine replaying the 1-60 stuff again, but I have little to no desire to ever experience what I've completed in The Outlands more than once.

My biggest complaint with Outland is that it feels so much more "Theme Park"-ish than the Old World (which itself has wildly contrasted borders between climates and terrain). Crossing from Hellfire into Zangarmarsh into Nagrand is like changing television channels. There's no real borderland between the zones and everything feels really disconnected.

I suppose "Outland was torn apart, different zone types pressed against each other makes sense, lol" is as good an excuse as any.

As for reworking Outland, there's no where else to go on Azeroth (unless they retcon some huge landmass hidden by magic, but Blizzard would never do tha- Oh, hello Uldum) except the sea. There's been talk of an underwater expansion before, and if you'll excuse the pun, I think Vash'jir is Blizzard testing the waters, so to speak.

That said...
"One of the things we're most excited about," says Metzen, "is the chance to create environments unlike anything you've seen in previous games. We really want to ramp it up for the players now. We're saying, 'Hey, you've graduated, you're over level 60 now, so let's get crazy with some really alien worlds and creatures." Even better, this is something that's infinitely expandable for us in updates and expansions down the line. There can always be more portal worlds." (source)
If you wander around Outland, you'll find a few portals similar to the Dark Portal that don't really lead anywhere (I know there's one in west Zangar and one in West Nagrand).

This is pure speculation, but it's not implausible that Blizzard might redo Outland for a new hero class (which, if they follow the same logic as Death Knights, would be introduced in the next expansion and start at a level just before Outland) and for high level players to use as a "Hub World"; each portal could essentially lead to either a new planet or an isolated region of the same planet. Either way, I don't think anyone wants to start opening giant dimensional portals on an already-fragile Azeroth, so it makes sense (at least to me) for any continued portal-opening to take place from Outland.

Revamping the quests for the new class and characters, adding some new high level content in the appropriate places (i.e. around the portals), and upgrading a few things would work out nicely. Outland is already pretty decent for questing (compared to Vanilla), so the work wouldn't be as massive of a project as Cataclysm.

Considering how fast TBC leveling is, it might even make sense to just completely revamp some zones for high levels. Even when it was new content most players could reach 70 without going to certain zones (I skipped Blade's Edge, Netherstorm and large parts of Shadowmoon Valley, for instance).

Take a few of the zones and revamp them for 83+, for whatever reason, and then you have some transitional zones leading into the new portal worlds.

No45

I've never done more than Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, Terrokar and Nagrand in Outland. My current 'main' (65 Warrior) did all of Hellfire, less than half of Zangarmarsh and I've skipped Terrokar completely and moved to Nagrand. With the instances I'm running I'll be 60 long before I finish the Nagrand quests.

Got my warrior to 83.5 yesterday. I think once I hit 84 I'm going to drop arms and go back to tanking. At that point I'll be able to queue for HoO and Tolvir and quickly get outfitted in 333 gear and hopefully win some off-spec rolls in case I want to go back to arms.

I'm actually thinking about trying PVP at 85--what's the best way for a fresh 85 to get into that scene? (Gear prep wise...)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
illusionary bag is now less worthless in 4.0.6

Tailoring
Illusionary Bag now has 26 slots.
Take that Haris Pilton!

note that it is still one of the most expensive craftables in the game possibly only behind that Vial mount. Not only is it potentially ~8K in materials (or 40 orbs), but unless you use those 40 orbs there are going to even possibly be overlapping weekly cooldowns.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
webrunner said:
You can, there's not MUCH different, particularly at cataclysm levels. You get different pets at cataclysm levels, and a few different gear (crazier, more "flavor" gear in gnomish and a few extra bombs/etc in goblin)

Also the porters are different.. gadgetzan/toshley station for gnomish, and everlook/area 52 for goblin.
Know where I can compare the gear? This makes it seem low level gear only http://www.wowpedia.org/Goblin_Engineering http://www.wowpedia.org/Gnomish_Engineer

I wanted to mention also that I remembered that my warrior has enchanting as one of his profs. It's only 302 and I'm wondering if it's worth leveling or if I should drop it for a second gathering prof.

I'm only interested in making money--I'm not raiding or anything that would require high end enchants or anything.

Edit: Damn, I am now seeing the price of the arcane dust (2g) on my server and wishing I would have saved all those stacks of greens I found while getting my Cenarion Expedition rep up on my hunter to DE on my warrior. Guess he'll be grinding BC dungeons when he hits 85 too. At least the Hippogryph is the best mount...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
webrunner said:
Most of the gear is low-level gear, yes. It's only flavor stuff.

At wrath level it's just x-ray specs vs Global Thermal Sapper Charge, and at cataclysm it's just personal world destroyer vs deweaponized mechanical companion.
I see.

One other thing. As far as I can tell Goblin Jumper Cables has a 33% success and Goblin Jumper Cables XL has 50%? Gnomish Army Knife is 66% and all three share a cool down?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DeathNote said:
I see.

One other thing. As far as I can tell Goblin Jumper Cables has a 33% success and Goblin Jumper Cables XL has 50%? Gnomish Army Knife is 66% and all three share a cool down?
Sounds right. Everyone just uses the Gnomish Army Knife, it's available to both and incredibly easy to make/mass produce.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Retro said:
Outlands stuff

You know, i wouldnt be surprised that someday, maybe after Cataclysm or a later expansion, they'll use one of those mysterious portals in Outlands that will lead us to the Burning Legion's homeland. I'd love to see what Blizzard can do with another alien world. Hopefully, it's not Orange Planet like Hellfire.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Sounds right. Everyone just uses the Gnomish Army Knife, it's available to both and incredibly easy to make/mass produce.
I bought one cause a power leveling guide said it has all the tools together and it was incredibly cheap. Figured out in the past 30 minutes that it's the best rez tool as well.

Bisnic said:
You know, i wouldnt be surprised that someday, maybe after Cataclysm or a later expansion, they'll use one of those mysterious portals in Outlands that will lead us to the Burning Legion's homeland. I'd love to see what Blizzard can do with another alien world. Hopefully, it's not Orange Planet like Hellfire.
There are some portals in Vanilla left as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:
Got my warrior to 83.5 yesterday. I think once I hit 84 I'm going to drop arms and go back to tanking. At that point I'll be able to queue for HoO and Tolvir and quickly get outfitted in 333 gear and hopefully win some off-spec rolls in case I want to go back to arms.

I'm actually thinking about trying PVP at 85--what's the best way for a fresh 85 to get into that scene? (Gear prep wise...)
Lol pyrium gear.

Which ironically requires no pyrium to make.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Pyrium gear takes quite a bit of ore tho. I just spent a few days farming Tol Barad and got the full 5 piece set. Prob the same amount of effort that would be put into farming ore. Tho, if you are rich..

Edit: Actually, I'm way off. Not much ore at all.

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
I bought one cause a power leveling guide said it has all the tools together and it was incredibly cheap. Figured out in the past 30 minutes that it's the best rez tool as well.

There are some portals in Vanilla left as well.

If you're speaking of the 4 portals that were once guarded by big dragons, those leads to the Emerald Dream i believe.

borghe

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm only interested in making money--I'm not raiding or anything that would require high end enchants or anything.
enchanting is a potential money maker at the high end if you mostly sell what you gather except for maelstrom crystals. enchanting is really the only crafting profession where at the high end you can gather without actually having a gathering skill. that being said, gathering is EXTREMELY slow with this method. honestly the biggest desire for enchanters is either for guild enchanting OR for the ring enchants.

though I should say, as far as making money goes, enchanting is really nice to guarantee you always have one in a heroic dungeon. At the very least it means you will always get heavenly shards when you win the boss roll, which sell for like 3-5 times what the BOP armor/weapon sells for to a vendor. also the 2-4 dust/essence will typically sell for more than the armor/weapon as well. 4 essence will go for 72-88g on our realm whereas the 312 green weapon might only go for 60-70g.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
If you're speaking of the 4 portals that were once guarded by big dragons, those leads to the Emerald Dream i believe.
Yeah, I think someone said there's no reason to go there with the current lore but I still have been anticipating it more so than Outland. I actually don't even know where the outland portals are.

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
Yeah, I think someone said there's no reason to go there with the current lore but I still have been anticipating it more so than Outland. I actually don't even know where the outland portals are.

West of Nagrand, there is a big portal i believe, with some huge eredar walking around. Same with Blade Edge Mountain, between the gnome camp and the orc village to the east.. Death's door or something. Probably some in Shadowmoon Valley too, but i havent been there for a while.

Of course, im ignoring all the mini-portals that they use for regular quests all over Outlands... Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if we actually go to their homeplanet someday.

We also still got the inevitable Southrend lol.

Bisnic said:

I was expecting to see the Emerald Dream in Cata but they somehow resolved the whole Emerald Dream/Malfurion/Fandral Staghelm storyline between WOTLK and Cata.

Downed the Twin Dragons last night.

Up to 5 bosses!

We have downed...

Omnitron
Magmaw
Maloriak
Halfus
Dragon Twins

We are moving on to Conclave now next week.

borghe said:
enchanting is a potential money maker at the high end if you mostly sell what you gather except for maelstrom crystals. enchanting is really the only crafting profession where at the high end you can gather without actually having a gathering skill. that being said, gathering is EXTREMELY slow with this method. honestly the biggest desire for enchanters is either for guild enchanting OR for the ring enchants.

though I should say, as far as making money goes, enchanting is really nice to guarantee you always have one in a heroic dungeon. At the very least it means you will always get heavenly shards when you win the boss roll, which sell for like 3-5 times what the BOP armor/weapon sells for to a vendor. also the 2-4 dust/essence will typically sell for more than the armor/weapon as well. 4 essence will go for 72-88g on our realm whereas the 312 green weapon might only go for 60-70g.
Hmm, that's a good point. Guess I just need to get my ass to 85, then start farming Outlands dungeons to level enchanting.

Hopefully once I get to WotLK levels of enchanting, I'll be able to solo those dungeons too. I'm assuming it won't be a problem though--and if it is, I'll just have my hunter do it. Gogo tenacity pet.

Anybody have much experience grinding outdated dungeons as a warrior?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TurtleSnatcher said:
We are moving on to Conclave now next week.
Good luck! Fun boss(es).

DeathNote said:
Yeah, I think someone said there's no reason to go there with the current lore but I still have been anticipating it more so than Outland.

They put out a novel where the "Emerald Nightmare" problem is dealt with, but the way they did it was that it got cleansed from most of the Emerald Dream but then they locked it up in one little corner without destroying the corruption or figuring out where it came from. That sounds more like setting up a future instance/expansion/whatever to me than taking the problem off the table to me.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Are worgen no longer humans in CoT dungeons? I don't get it.

There was a bug with the illusion effect that caused the Worgens to not be able to mount (or something?) so they got rid of it for now, presumably until they could fix it up some different way.

Twig

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I just solo'd heroic UP p easy.

Only challenge was the first boss has a mechanic that drops a big dot on you unless your party members kill the adds, and you're rendered completely stunned during the ritual. Still managed to do it (by running away, heroic leaping, bandaging ocne the dot ran out). And then the torches shot a fireball at me and killed me right after I killed her. WHOOPS. But hey, was able to continue just fine.

So, barring mechanics like that, I'd say the WOTLK heroics are very easily soloable for a warrior. I'm not even what I'd consider decked out, PvE-wise. Wearing way more PvP gear than PvE for my "PvE" set.

charlequin said:
There was a bug with the illusion effect that caused the Worgens to not be able to mount (or something?) so they got rid of it for now, presumably until they could fix it up some different way.
Ah, that makes sense. Especially Blizzard's "solution." LOL SMILEY

Edit: Twig, you're arms, right?

borghe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Hmm, that's a good point. Guess I just need to get my ass to 85, then start farming Outlands dungeons to level enchanting.

Hopefully once I get to WotLK levels of enchanting, I'll be able to solo those dungeons too. I'm assuming it won't be a problem though--and if it is, I'll just have my hunter do it. Gogo tenacity pet.
soloing WOTLK? not sure. at 85 and ilevel 347 I am easily soloing BC heroics and so far at least trash in BC 25man. so my guess is you should at least be able to solo UK, Nexus, of the first bug place (man it's been a while). Not sure about high end LK dungeons.

solo or grouping? I've grouped recently in dungeon finder on my 67 prot warrior and get queues instantly on low level (but appropriate) dungeons. if you mean soloing, like I said, so far I've cleared every heroic I've tried in BC and am guessing early WOTLK dungeons should be doable also. and I'm a mage, so worst case scenario is you might have to respec fury if you're not already. or just deal with the fact that it's going to take a while to clear as prot.

edit - doh, didn't see twig replied. cool. yeah, I was recently going to try some LK dungeons for cloth until I found a nice little place in Icecrown that was pretty much the ultimate frostweave drop in the entire continent.. really no point to do LK dungeons at this point. Well, I actually still need heroic HoS for the stupid dungeon hero achievement. Don't know how I never cleared that heroic.

webrunner

Even if they dont fix the quests they should at least re-balance the zones a bit in outland, make it so you have two entry zones and two possible paths (since you only end up going to 3 zones anyway due to the levelling speed)

Then you dont have to do Hellfire every single freaking time.

borghe said:
soloing WOTLK? not sure. at 85 and ilevel 347 I am easily soloing BC heroics and so far at least trash in BC 25man. so my guess is you should at least be able to solo UK, Nexus, of the first bug place (man it's been a while). Not sure about high end LK dungeons.

solo or grouping? I've grouped recently in dungeon finder on my 67 prot warrior and get queues instantly on low level (but appropriate) dungeons. if you mean soloing, like I said, so far I've cleared every heroic I've tried in BC and am guessing early WOTLK dungeons should be doable also. and I'm a mage, so worst case scenario is you might have to respec fury if you're not already. or just deal with the fact that it's going to take a while to clear as prot.

edit - doh, didn't see twig replied. cool. yeah, I was recently going to try some LK dungeons for cloth until I found a nice little place in Icecrown that was pretty much the ultimate frostweave drop in the entire continent.. really no point to do LK dungeons at this point. Well, I actually still need heroic HoS for the stupid dungeon hero achievement. Don't know how I never cleared that heroic.
Ya, I'll only be doing them for greens to level enchanting. All the rep rewards are obviously useless...And I think I might even be exalted with most, if not all, of WotLK factions that are dungeon rep-able at this point.

Edit: Lol, I just tallied this and I've been through Hellfire eight times (only classes I have yet to do it as are lock and mage) and I still don't mind it. That zone really bothers you guys! I personally love killing humanoids, and it's one of the best zones for that. =P

My guild killed Atramedes last night finally. Got started on the Council in Bastion. Should definitely get them down and be 8/12 before the end of the week. The Council doesn't seem too complicated. We made it to Phase 3 on our second attempt.

water_wendi said:
Does your side control it a lot? i havent gone to TB since i got everything i needed from it but my friends say they rarely get into games now because Alli doesnt even bother attacking. Its like 10v10 in there lol

I think during the day I get unlucky in the random pool because so many horde want to get in, and at night I have the issue you just presented. Alliance has it a lot and they're the minority faction so it's doubly stupid.

Flib

I solo'd all of the BC heroics on my druid tank without any deaths during BC. I assume WOTLK heroics are currently similar.

Fularu

Banned
borghe said:
really no point to do LK dungeons at this point. Well, I actually still need heroic HoS for the stupid dungeon hero achievement. Don't know how I never cleared that heroic.
I solo UP daily for the mount :p It's prety easy they have next to now health.

Twig

Banned
On Stormreaver (MY SERVER), TB changes hands once every one or two days and the battles (at least the ones I've been in) are always full.

Twig

Banned
borghe said:
heroic I'm assuming? What kind of health?
It's really easy. Only boss that gives you trouble (as I mentioned earlier) is the first one, because of the ritual mechanic that leaves you helpless and with a big dot at the end. Still entirely doable now that I remember how it works. I'll definitely start doing it daily now.

Magnus said:
Is it in the realm of possibility for a priest of any spec to solo UP to farm the drake?

And does it drop in normal too?
If it is as trivial as Twig is saying as a warrior, it's probably pretty possible as a priest too. I'm assuming Shadow and Mind Control might be effective. DoT up the bosses, drop out of shadow form for HoTs... I bet it's doable. You probably do 100k just from DoTs...

SnakeswithLasers said:
I wanted to mention also that I remembered that my warrior has enchanting as one of his profs. It's only 302 and I'm wondering if it's worth leveling or if I should drop it for a second gathering prof.

Edit: Damn, I am now seeing the price of the arcane dust (2g) on my server and wishing I would have saved all those stacks of greens I found while getting my Cenarion Expedition rep up on my hunter to DE on my warrior. Guess he'll be grinding BC dungeons when he hits 85 too. At least the Hippogryph is the best mount...

You're over (what was, at least) the most expensive and annoying hump for enchanting (besides the Cata range), so no reason not to continue. And you get an absurd amount of greens if you grind level 70 regulars or heroics - which I've been doing for reps for awhile.

Ferrio

Banned
Was going through old screenshots, found one when small/big buffs used to stack. Yes that's me as a night elf standing next to an ordinary sized gnome.

tellendollsmall.jpg

borghe

MattPeters said:
"Their own damn fault" Made me chuckle.
it's so so so so true. As a DPS caster, sorry, but if you're DPS and out of the range of your healer, pulling aggro, running oom, or not cc'ing correctly, it's your own damn fault. compared to tanks and healers our respective responsibilities are pretty minimal and easy. not like we're being asked to research string theory here. maybe on par with changing a light bulb.

borghe said:
it's so so so so true. As a DPS caster, sorry, but if you're DPS and out of the range of your healer, pulling aggro, running oom, or not cc'ing correctly, it's your own damn fault. compared to tanks and healers our respective responsibilities are pretty minimal and easy. not like we're being asked to research string theory here. maybe on par with changing a light bulb.
The DPS list is longer on that picture though. =P

And melee DPS has it pretty rough--maybe not a lot of responsibility, but it is a pain in the ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom