• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
charlequin said:
Elemental is just a really poor spec at the moment. Boring design, poor damage output, nothing really going for it. Shamans as a whole are desperately in need of some top down redesign lovin', but at least Enhancement is fun to play and relatively competitive in its current form.

I love the Shaman class and I am currently Ele. However, I can definitely see that it's a pretty underpowered class spec so far (I'm only level 34 or 35 at the moment though).

I'm still going to stick with my Shaman, but should I do Enhancement? I normally don't particularly care for melee classes so that should probably be kept in mind, but I do hear that Enhancement is a fun class.

etiolate

Banned
85 Enhancement has so many abilities its kind of tough to compare to what its like at 34 now. Whatever you are doing as Ele now, you will be doing as Ele at 85. Enhance is probably just Lava Lash and Primal strike/storms trike at 34, with a shock here and there. At 85, its a series of attacks and procs that result in flurry of damage.

When I first leveled my Shaman years ago, Enhance was maybe the fastest leveling spec in game. You'd windfury through mobs like in one or two hits and then move on.

I'm more of the opinion that tanks and DPS should not have more resource guarentees (nothing cut and dry, but definately not sure things if one adheres to a rote system), partially as GC has mouthdiarrheaed in the past about healers being the only ones getting off to restrictions whereas everyone else does over Big Yellow Numbers or some such idiocy.

Einbroch said:
The issue, at least for Priests, is that we literally just spam Prayer of Healing on certain fights. Most of the time it's around 20-30% of our healing, which is fine, but on other fights it's 50% or more. I logged like 67% once. That's not fun.

Don't be too quick to dismiss task-based fights, or we could be doing the same "fun" thing every single fucking fight till it's no longer "fun" again.

hamchan

I've decided that this will be my last month of WoW until the next expansion comes out due to Uni starting again in a month. Also this year is absolutely stacked in terms of games and I'll probably be playing most of it, so WoW on top of that might be a bit much. Will probably just level up a couple of alts to experience all the new 1-60 stuff and then I'm pretty much done. Cataclysm was awesome and I hope the next expansion will be too.

etiolate said:
Just ran some tests between Ele and Enhance. I have much higher level Ele gear than Enhance, and I actually do heroics with ilevel 318 chest and head as Enhance. I can get 10k-12k as enhance in a heroic, get about that on a target dummy. On a raid target dummy I get around 9k because I am not spell hit capped yet as enhance. On the Ele I get around 9k dps on any dummy because I'm hit capped. I get around 7-9k in Heroics depending on movement.

Ele is like barely raid viable dps and 10% oost to LvB isn't going to fix the specs glaring problems. It needs a ton of haste and mastery to start being on the level of other casters.

Don't worry man, enhance is being nerfed next patch so we can be back at the bottom of the dps charts with you guys, like all of last expansion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
charlequin said:
They put out a novel where the "Emerald Nightmare" problem is dealt with, but the way they did it was that it got cleansed from most of the Emerald Dream but then they locked it up in one little corner without destroying the corruption or figuring out where it came from. That sounds more like setting up a future instance/expansion/whatever to me than taking the problem off the table to me.
At some point they'll also get around to putting Med'an in the game. I have no clue why they bother to set up some annoying super-powerful brat if they don't intend to put him in the game.

Bisnic said:
Just got this http://www.wowhead.com/item=64904 as my next Tolvir rare artifact.

Only took 2 completed artifacts before i got it, not too bad.

Now... i still need 130 artifacts fragments. I guess tomorrow will be a wonderful Kalimdor digging party. I'm ready for 80% of my digsites to be either Night elf or Fossil. /sigh
Ring of the Boy Emperor is Blizzard's version of a reach around. Everyone that can do Tol'vir artifacts gets it because it has a really high "drop" rate.

I think one of the worst things to ever happen was that our local trade trolls managed to win Ashes of Al'ar in a group loot setting, meaning he just rides it around SW all day trolling even harder.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
Oh sweet. Got "uninvited" to my 10 man this week because they only want 1 melee dps for Cho'gall. Fun times being non-ranged this tier.
Blizzard's plan to fix this will probably involve the next raid tier forcing ten billion interrupts.

TheYanger

funkmastergeneral said:
Oh sweet. Got "uninvited" to my 10 man this week because they only want 1 melee dps for Cho'gall. Fun times being non-ranged this tier.

Huh, Cho'gall isn't a fight I would consider particularly ranged favored. I guess killing the black sludge spawn things? There are a ton of fights I would've thought would cause this before that. Even the FTH world first heroic had a fair bit of melee (A normal amount)

SatelliteOfLove said:
I'm more of the opinion that tanks and DPS should not have more resource guarentees (nothing cut and dry, but definately not sure things if one adheres to a rote system), partially as GC has mouthdiarrheaed in the past about healers being the only ones getting off to restrictions whereas everyone else does over Big Yellow Numbers or some such idiocy.

DPS and tanks have short term resource issues, and are punished for making improper ability selection choices and rewarded for making smart ones. This has as much a factor on the length of the encounter as anything else, and healer mana is the same way - you can go longer if you're making the correct choices. It's ridiculous if you think DPS just pay no attention to anything and vomit big numbers all over the screen. That's the same as a healer that spams PoH and laughs at all the huge numbers he's gettign...which is probably all overhealing, but dammit they're numbers! If your dps are bad and fights take too long, yell at them.

cubicle47b said:
Our fishing drive has yielded around 700 Seafood Magnifique Feasts. I think we're set for 6 months or so.
How is your guild on profession achievements? Mine is way behind on making flasks and fishing in pools. I think having a profession drive is a good idea.

TheYanger said:
Huh, Cho'gall isn't a fight I would consider particularly ranged favored. I guess killing the black sludge spawn things? There are a ton of fights I would've thought would cause this before that. Even the FTH world first heroic had a fair bit of melee (A normal amount)

DPS and tanks have short term resource issues, and are punished for making improper ability selection choices and rewarded for making smart ones. This has as much a factor on the length of the encounter as anything else, and healer mana is the same way - you can go longer if you're making the correct choices. It's ridiculous if you think DPS just pay no attention to anything and vomit big numbers all over the screen. That's the same as a healer that spams PoH and laughs at all the huge numbers he's gettign...which is probably all overhealing, but dammit they're numbers! If your dps are bad and fights take too long, yell at them.

Ififififif

What I was talking about DPS and tanks having high ceilings with very rote and gentle "refuel" mechanics that allow for very high output consistantly. To elaborate, it's threatening to return to the DPS race factor creeping up again in HM design, which forments sitting of healers for more DPS and a general sameyness I touched on in the other half of my post (3.1ish PoH spamming included).

Deputy Moonman said:
How is your guild on profession achievements? Mine is way behind on making flasks and fishing in pools. I think having a profession drive is a good idea.

We finished the flask achievement this week to get the cauldron. One of the other officers uses the guild bank to play the AH and makes around 60K/week so he made a ton of flasks to get us there.

Shrinnan said:
I'm still going to stick with my Shaman, but should I do Enhancement?

Enhancement is a really fun spec: complex rotation, neat powers (like the FERAL SPIRITS OMG), great soloability and versatility. It is a melee class, but it's a melee class that can heal itself and uses some spellcasting. I really enjoy it.

funkmastergeneral said:
Don't worry man, enhance is being nerfed next patch so we can be back at the bottom of the dps charts with you guys, like all of last expansion.

The enhancement changes in 4.0.6 are probably going to wind up being a net buff for anyone who wasn't running FT/FT on caster weapons thanks to the big boost to Windfury.

Dresden

Depends on whether the 20% reduction to FT damage is matched by Windfury damage boost. I'm still skeptical.

charlequin said:
Enhancement is a really fun spec: complex rotation
Not really a rotation, it's a priority system (a.k.a. smash on things coming off cooldowns). Otherwise, agreed on all of the above.

webrunner

TheYanger said:

One of the worst things in the wow community is the self-feeding group think.. I think his main problem goes like this:

- Some big guild downs a boss and says that they did it by limiting melee
- Some other big guild says yeah, a lot of fights hurt melee alot
- People see these and start complaining that, melee have a disadvantage
- Other people see these complaints and think that melee have a disadvantage all over
- Guild leaders start disallowing melee everywhere, without really caring why (except that "CATACLYSM HATES MELEE")

It's the same thinking that got mass mutas considered to be overpowered in starcraft at low skill levels, because of a few early stories of the rush when virtually every other unit that could attack them were more cost-effective and would beat mutas in virtually every situation. It wasn't until stacking came out that the muta threat was actually real and even then didn't affect the people who were complaining.

cubicle47b said:
Our fishing drive has yielded around 700 Seafood Magnifique Feasts. I think we're set for 6 months or so.

The problem I have with the fishing achieve is that the fish aren't AS useful as they were in Wrath at least, UNTIL you have unlocked the Seafood Magnifique Feast. So there isn't much incentive to fish until that point, aside from Pools of Fire. Sure, Mastery, Spirit, and Int food comes from fish, but as melee/tank, I can ride by on crocolisk, which is far easier to come by (STR and Expertise food).

I would go after Lavascale catfish for mastery food, but since there aren't any pools for those, it's a moot point, since it won't count towards the achieve.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The problem I have with the fishing achieve is that the fish aren't AS useful as they were in Wrath at least, UNTIL you have unlocked the Seafood Magnifique Feast. So there isn't much incentive to fish until that point, aside from Pools of Fire. Sure, Mastery, Spirit, and Int food comes from fish, but as melee/tank, I can ride by on crocolisk, which is far easier to come by (STR and Expertise food).

I would go after Lavascale catfish for mastery food, but since there aren't any pools for those, it's a moot point, since it won't count towards the achieve.

The drive was to hit 10,000 fish from pools. We had a contest for guppy and eel fished from pools with prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (gold + fortune cards) and then bought catfish off the AH at a reasonable price.

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Well, fathom eel is very useful to agility classes even without the feast. It makes the 90 agility/90 stamina food.

Hit 84 on my arms war. Now I need to figure out where to get a 2H weapon--I'm still using the sword from Stonecore and it looks like the only thing I can get is a mace from Erudax?

Once I hit 85 I think I'll just go straight into pvp.

scoobs

SnakeswithLasers said:
Hit 84 on my arms war. Now I need to figure out where to get a 2H weapon--I'm still using the sword from Stonecore and it looks like the only thing I can get is a mace from Erudax?

Do the Tol Barad dailies u can get a nice ilvl 346 2h sword. Also, u can get a 2h mace from the deadmines.

Rokam

SnakeswithLasers said:

Get the 2h from Crucible of Carnage as a stepping stone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
scoobs said:
Do the Tol Barad dailies u can get a nice ilvl 346 2h sword. Also, u can get a 2h mace from the deadmines.

Yeah the Tol Barad one might be the easiest 346 weapon to get. Just a few days of dailies(assuming your faction controls the south peninsula when you're online).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Bisnic said:
Yeah the Tol Barad one might be the easiest 346 weapon to get. Just a few days of dailies(assuming your faction controls the south peninsula when you're online).
Going to take more than just a few days of dailies since you need Revered reputation in addition to the commendations.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
decided i'm going to practice some tanking on my feral druid. never done any tanking before... anyone got tips on how to do it properly, what may stat priority should be, mods/addons i should get, what my minimum health pool/dodge chance/armor should be, strategies for being more aware of what's happening in a fight and when lots of damage is about to be incoming etc.

I installed an old 14 day trial that I had lying around about a week ago. It's my first time both with WoW and the MMO genre; I wanted to know if I like the ride enough to get a couple prepaid cards and the expansions.

A few days later, I find I like the game a lot more than I expected to. Quests are brief and varied enough to keep things agile. Art direction is awesome, with some pretty cool sights to see and environments to gaze at. I've been playing solo these past few days, and last night I got to Lv 15 which opened the dungeon finder. Today I popped my WoW cherry with a couple dungeons. It was a pretty cool moment. Even if I didn't get anything because I don't know how the dice and the coin work. I just wanted to be useful and stay alive.

I've been checking this thread out since I started the trial, but unfortunately the talk inside here is way, way out of my league. I can't make heads or tails of what is being talked about here, lol. Which is understandable considering everyone here must have been playing this game for years now. At any rate, I've been pleasantly surprised by this game. So much that I'm seriously considering jumping in after the trial ends.

TheYanger

Scrow said:
decided i'm going to practice some tanking on my feral druid. never done any tanking before... anyone got tips on how to do it properly, what may stat priority should be, mods/addons i should get, what my minimum health pool/dodge chance/armor should be, strategies for being more aware of what's happening in a fight and when lots of damage is about to be incoming etc.

Not sure there are any easy ways to describe what you should be doing. mechanically, tanking is easy for most classes, check EJ to see what basic abilities you should be using to hold aggro, try some non-heroic dungeons first I'd say. Really in heroics and 5 mans tanking is all about positioning and understanding mob abilities. You are expected to be dictating where things are fought, where they're facing, more often than not what is CCed, how to cooldown, etc. It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. This is Gaf, we know how to play games, tanking almost entirely just being situationally aware and seeing what is going on around you. Get to know which mobs do what, and how you can mitigate it.

Mods...you'll want to make sure your unit frames are well laid out (Player, target, target of target), and you'll want to get omen or something if you don't have it already. Need to easily keep track of what is on you and what is not on you - this is what you'd use nameplates for. The default are totally sufficient, but most people use modded ones. Aloft, Tidyplates, anything works. So that you can quickly assess the threat situation. Make sure your cast bar addon is clear and obvious as well - interrupting will save your life.

SteelAttack said:
I installed an old 14 day trial that I had lying around about a week ago. It's my first time both with WoW and the MMO genre; I wanted to know if I like the ride enough to get a couple prepaid cards and the expansions.

A few days later, I find I like the game a lot more than I expected to. Quests are brief and varied enough to keep things agile. Art direction is awesome, with some pretty cool sights to see and environments to gaze at. I've been playing solo these past few days, and last night I got to Lv 15 which opened the dungeon finder. Today I popped my WoW cherry with a couple dungeons. It was a pretty cool moment. Even if I didn't get anything because I don't know how the dice and the coin work. I just wanted to be useful and stay alive.

I've been checking this thread out since I started the trial, but unfortunately the talk inside here is way, way out of my league. I can't make heads or tails of what is being talked about here, lol. Which is understandable considering everyone here must have been playing this game for years now. At any rate, I've been pleasantly surprised by this game. So much that I'm seriously considering jumping in after the trial ends.

DOO EEEET

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
water_wendi said:
Going to take more than just a few days of dailies since you need Revered reputation in addition to the commendations.

By "a few" i dont mean 2 or 3 days. It took me like ~10 days i think to get to revered anyway, but thats mostly because i was able to do the dailies in the south peninsula most of the time, which isnt a problem for commendations either, since its like 10-12 per day.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Howling Fjord and B Tundra (having done all the quests in HJ and not quite hitting 71 I moved onto BT instead of Dragonblight) are amazing. Howling Fjord in particular has been one of my favourite zones across the whole game. The amount of variety within the zone, the way each quest-chain really lets you learn each section zone, the subtle natural changes and landmarks as you move between different areas -- I mean, man, it must have been pleasure overload for you guys moving from Old-WOW and Outland into this.

In Outland I was playing with the goal "one more level, almost there, must level", whereas now I'm back into the much more fun explore mode, with leveling happening much more naturally as a result of my questing and exploring. My time in Outland and the preceding Silithus really made me forget how great it is to move from one section of the map at a time really getting to know them, rather than the scattershot quest overload of Outland-style quests.

Blizzard need to find a way to funnel people from New-Old World to Northrend quick-smart, else rework Outland.

Xevren

scoobs said:
doing the neterdrake dailies .. gonna take 2 weeks :( Oh well, I'm on a mission for 100 mounts!

2 weeks? I got mine in about 5 days with just checking egg spawns and doing dailies. If you know where they spawn in the mine/island/fortress place it speeds it up quite a bit. Although, I tend to play really late at times when not as many people are on.

notworksafe

WoW needs the LotRO mechanic of being able to bail out of a flight path (or horse path in LotRO) at any time. It'd be really nice to be able to jump off when I am by a quest turn-in point.

markot

Banned
notworksafe said:
WoW needs the LotRO mechanic of being able to bail out of a flight path (or horse path in LotRO) at any time. It'd be really nice to be able to jump off when I am by a quest turn-in point.

So true... And some of the really long fps need some kind of 'booster' cause it can take 10+ minutes to go from the bottom to the top of a continent, or visa versa. I understand that they want to make the world feel 'big' but its just kinda silly, its adds an impediment to play if you have to sit staring at the screen for a few minutes if you only have a short period to play in.

Gnomish modified Gryphons and Goblinified Wyvrns.

Also I hate how the Alliance has a super high tech train to get from SW and IF, but you have to take a boat to get to the other places >_< just annoying. Just expand the damn rail network! Or use magic or some crap, boats are so warcraft 2!

SteelAttack said:

Dice (Need) - The item is an upgrade and I'll be replacing my current gear to equip it.
Coin (Greed) - The item is not an upgrade but I'd like it to sell for gold or disenchant or possibly use if my situation changes later.
X (close box) - I don't want it at all for any reason.

Need rolls have higher priority than Greed.

Later on you may see a third option which is Disenchant. It could be greyed out depending on who is in your group. This has the same priority as Greed but instead of the item you'll get the enchanting materials produced from it being disenchanted. This is a lot more useful at higher levels, but even at lower levels auctioning enchanting materials can be a lot more lucrative than just vendoring the item which you may have done otherwise.

colinp

Banned
At level 24 I just finished Darkshore, but officially it's a 10-20 zone (guild perks and 1 dungeon apparently overleveled me). So now should I go to Ashenvale (20-25) or to Stonetalon (25-30)?

If I go to Stonetalon I won't be able to pick up my herbs, unless I farm them in Ashenvale I guess... Ugh, what a silly problem to run into.

Dresden

Did some 2v2's with a disc priest... he went down in 8 seconds with a feral and an arms warrior on him. No real way to peel asides from frostbrand+earthbind dispel, and both the feral and arms can deal with that single psychic scream. >.> Really need that buff.

Otherwise, did pretty well, went 6-1. Will enjoy it before I hit the wall.

Xevren

markot said:
Also I hate how the Alliance has a super high tech train to get from SW and IF, but you have to take a boat to get to the other places >_< just annoying. Just expand the damn rail network! Or use magic or some crap, boats are so warcraft 2!

Wait, what? Where is this train?! I did not know such a thing existed.

Twig

Banned
I wonder if I could get away with rebinding WASD for skills/macros and moving exclusively with the mouse. Rebind "back up" to a mouse button and bam.

Hmm. I don't think my tiny brain could handle it. ):

Twig said:
I wonder if I could get away with rebinding WASD for skills/macros and moving exclusively with the mouse. Rebind "back up" to a mouse button and bam.

Hmm. I don't think my tiny brain could handle it. ):

Possible, but you may find yourself more incapacitated than you would think, depending on role/class.

There are many times when I find the need to click something on the screen (like a specific nameplate to taunt an enemy) and move at the same time. You couldn't do this with an all mouse movement setup (unless you intend to bind strafe and forward to the mouse as well).

markot said:

WTB Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff Light Rail - the extra zeppelin doesn't cut it for me.

Although I suppose the horde equivalent to the tram is the translocation orb from SMC to UC.

Twig

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Possible, but you may find yourself more incapacitated than you would think, depending on role/class.

There are many times when I find the need to click something on the screen (like a specific nameplate to taunt an enemy) and move at the same time. You couldn't do this with an all mouse movement setup (unless you intend to bind strafe and forward to the mouse as well).
Ah, yeah, I definitely need strafe. For some reason I completely forgot about that, which is odd because I've replaced A and D turning with strafing and bound Q and E to a couple key macros. You'd think I'd remember this, hah.

Forward you already have by default: hold both left and right mouse button down.

Also you don't taunt in PvP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom