• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the Authenticator App for my iPod the night one of my guildies got hacked on our first attempt at Lich King.
Logged, off. Logged on. Hearthed, and started selling everything.
Man that sucked.

Twig

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
How are people getting hacked? I don't mean it in any way but genuine curiosity--how does this happen? Add-ons? Flash ads?
Friend of mine got hacked when he hadn't played for months. Might have even been almost a year, I don't recall exactly.

Who fucking knows. ):

J-Rzez

SnakeswithLasers said:
How are people getting hacked? I don't mean it in any way but genuine curiosity--how does this happen? Add-ons? Flash ads?

"ZOMG... Blizzsteve just pm'd me that I won a free companion pet, just gotta claim it at www.baetledotnet by logging in my info'z".

Duki

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
large majority of cases are people clicking on shady shit and being morons in some way and then pretending that OMG I DIDNT DO ANYTHING ALL I DID WAS GO ON A WEBSITE WOW THIS COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE to save face

Sai-kun

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I was hacked without being a moron...but then my password wasn't particularly complicated (2 words, followed by a single digit).

TheExodu5
Will use d3doverrider to force triple buffering instead of complaining about mouse lag in every PC game thread ever
(Today, 09:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As much as i hated all those night elf digsites in kalimdor while i was trying to get the Tolvir ring...(seriously, it took me HOURS just to get 2 Tolvir digsites, i just bought 2 tolvir hieroglyphs for 1k each on the AH to avoid having to deal with more night elf farming), i like this rare night elf artifact, too bad its 20 secs on a 10 mins cooldown... Blizzard doesnt like fun. :( :

http://i.imgur.com/XGldp.jpg

I give up on archaeology for the scarab mount until Blizzard do something with Tolvir. Or maybe add an option to never get 1 race for digsites. I'll happily turn off either Night elf or Fossil. I was able to complete TWO rare night elf artifacts before i could even get half of my Tolvir ring research.

af4c3eb5560f.gif

Twig

Banned
Bisnic said:
As much as i hated all those night elf digsites in kalimdor while i was trying to get the Tolvir ring...(seriously, it took me HOURS just to get 2 Tolvir digsites, i just bought 2 tolvir hieroglyphs for 1k each on the AH to avoid having to deal with more night elf farming), i like this rare night elf artifact, too bad its 20 secs on a 10 mins cooldown... Blizzard doesnt like fun. :(
Yeah all the archaeology "fun items" I've seen have woefully small effect times and large cooldown times. Some of them I can understand, but others it just seems weird. Oh well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
water_wendi said:
The smartest idea with Arch is to get a level 70 character you want to level up and use them solely for Arch 70-85.
70-80, possibly 82, IMO. I leveled to 85 with ARCH and switched to TB to get my full set and flying mount. I have to go back and do the quests asap to get the tabards and rep. But I'm fixing to do them on my alt. Ugh. I guess I could only do quests up until I get the tabards on one but that's a rep loss.

I wanted the scarab arch mount... but I've solved 57 Tol'vir artifacts and my last rare was at 22 sooooo fuck arch. Fuck. Arch. (Haven't done arch in ~2 weeks and I FEEL GREAT)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
J-Rzez said:
"ZOMG... Blizzsteve just pm'd me that I won a free companion pet, just gotta claim it at www.baetledotnet by logging in my info'z".
i'm sure that happens, but there must be some other stuff going on too, cause i was hacked and i'm not a dumb shit when it comes to following dodgy links or using brain-dead passwords across all accounts.

still haven't bothered with an authenticator though. yeah, i don't want to get hacked, but i'm so damn lazy that i can't be bothered figuring out how it even works or what i have to do. i just don't care enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you have an iDevice it's super-easy to use. super duper.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you can play wow you can figure out howan auth works... The physical device and app both have step by step instructions when you open the box up or start the app up.

If you don't want to protect yourself, or care enough, don't bitch about getting hacked.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I got the mobile authenticator on my account right after starting my first character. Cheap and easy. Still, I've read about vulnerabilities with the java app but that's what happens when an industry forms over gold selling.

Not to mention the tells I get... Usually it's a polite "hello" and then "want to buy some gold?" Happens very often.

Mojojo

Thnikkaman said:
I got the mobile authenticator on my account right after starting my first character. Cheap and easy. Still, I've read about vulnerabilities with the java app but that's what happens when an industry forms over gold selling.

Not to mention the tells I get... Usually it's a polite "hello" and then "want to buy some gold?" Happens very often.
I just resubscribed for Cataclysm and i got a tell from a "GM " telling me i am running suspicious 3rd party program and my account will be terminated if i dont log with my info on "shaddy website .com" so they can verify...
I would :lol but i guess it must work on some young players , and that's kind of sad.

On the topic of cataclysm, which races starting area area got the most interesting revamp? I 'd like to try at least one Horde and one Alliance (already done Goblin and worgen; it was ok).. I am leaning toward Forsaken and Gnome, seems like they had the most dramatic changes?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there is some great stuff in Silverpine Forest, so I'd recommend the Forsaken path. To be fair, I haven't experienced the Kalimdor stuff at all. The Forsaken path has been my only path, and it was great.

Bisnic

Mojojo said:
I just resubscribed for Cataclysm and i got a tell from a "GM " telling me i am running suspicious 3rd party program and my account will be terminated if i dont log with my info on "shaddy website .com" so they can verify...
I would :lol but i guess it must work on some young players , and that's kind of sad.

On the topic of cataclysm, which races starting area area got the most interesting revamp? I 'd like to try at least one Horde and one Alliance (already done Goblin and worgen; it was ok).. I am leaning toward Forsaken and Gnome, seems like they had the most dramatic changes?

Gnome changes were mostly in their 1-5 zones, after that its still the same old (but with updated quests) snowy zone.

If you want to see an Alliance zone that has changed a lot, i suggest Darkshore for 10-20. I barely recognize it now, and its also gold mine in copper ores if you are a miner too. You said you made a worgen, and that is exactly where they continue after Gilneas.

Westfall which is also a 10-20 zone that has changed a lot, but not as much as Darkshore.

Dunlop

Now that my alt gathering skills are almost up to max, I am about to swap out herb for engineering on my main.

Someone mentioned there was an int "enchant" that you could use for gloves but I cannot find anything on any list. Is there no such thing?

Maelstrom Crystals:

lmao

I totally should have worked on this sooner, my main being alchemist/enchanter.

There's like 3 other guys tops (horde side) on my server that can do this trick at the moment, so the market is good with the prices high. Spent about 13-15k today making crystals (15 I bought the enchant recipes with, but I still have about that many left). If I do get them to sell at about 2500g each, the profits will be massive. They've been down to about 1400g though, but only cost around 600-700g for me to make.

Trying to sell higher/stock up now since 4.0.6 seems to disable the ability to DE the stones, so they'll go back to being very scarce for awhile if the patch comes within a month or so, still being at the stage where most gear isn't DEd. The demand will grow as well with people actually starting to acquire epic gear and wanting to get it enchanted with the best stuff.

Any downturn in the market will likely only come when 5 mans start offering epics or when the current valor point gear is moved down to justice points - unlikely to happen before patch 4.1. So I've got until probably around March/April at the earliest to enjoy the cash flow if I stock up enough now.

Hixx

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Maelstrom Crystals:

lmao

There's like 3 other guys tops (horde side) on my server that can do this trick at the moment, so the market is good with the prices high. Spent about 13-15k today making crystals (15 I bought the enchant recipes with, but I still have about that many left). If I do get them to sell at about 2500g each, the profits will be massive. They've been down to about 1400g though, but only cost around 600-700g for me to make.

Trying to sell higher/stock up now since 4.0.6 seems to disable the ability to DE the stones, so they'll go back to being very scarce for awhile if the patch comes within a month or so, still being at the stage where most gear isn't DEd. The demand will grow as well with people actually starting to acquire epic gear and wanting to get it enchanted with the best stuff.

Any downturn in the market will likely only come when 5 mans start offering epics or when the current valor point gear is moved down to justice points - unlikely to happen before patch 4.1. So I've got until probably around March/April at the earliest to enjoy the cash flow if I stock up enough now.

I just power-levelled Engineering on my hunter who is an alchemist. I suddenly regret it massively.

Ramirez

Any tips for Maloriak or whatever his name is in BWD? We got him to like 12% on our 3rd attempt, but everyone after that was way worse. What's the ideal way of doing the adds?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Maelstrom Crystals:

lmao

Looks like only one person can do it on my server. He is sell a few stacks of 5 for 15,000 and singles for 3.1k. If he bought the mats from the AH right this second it'd be a 1.3k profit.

Ramirez said:
Any tips for Maloriak or whatever his name is in BWD? We got him to like 12% on our 3rd attempt, but everyone after that was way worse. What's the ideal way of doing the adds?
I'm trying to remember what we do. Since I'm a ranged dps, I'm really bad about paying attention to everything. The big thing is the adds. Add management and interrupts are basically the whole fight. He'll randomly summon adds during each phase and each summon releases 3 adds. I think the trick is to only ever let 9 adds out total before green phase, at which point everyone should stack or already be stacked on the add tank and aoe them down. Time the third release of adds so that the offtank only has 9 adds up for as short a period as possible, like right before green phase. Then he can pop CD's to stay up. And don't kill just some some of the adds, but all the adds (all adds excluding the ones summoned at the end of the green phase), because after green phase, Maloriak will go back to his regular summoning of adds and the offtank will get overwhelmed and die.

Our rogue would would do all the interrupting, but I don't know when and how many interrupts he was using. For blue phase we stay spread out, and for red phase we all stack on the boss, then move to off tank and stack for green phase. Then during the last phase / burn phase of the boss, everyone spread out and avoid the ice crystals.

During the fight he'll randomly freeze people, too. I think we waited a second to break people out to allow healers to heal the targets back up

That's probably a really poor explanation, but that's basically what we do. I dont remember our exact interrupt order for adds which is probably what you were wanting to know in the first place.

EDIT: Just realized you were probably talking about the adds during the last phase. I'm retracting my statement. Ideally, you only want the two prime subjects, (which need to be offtanked as best as possible) up during the last phase. This is why I'm not a raid leader cuz i would suck at it. And our dps don't worry about the adds in the last phase. We strictly try to burn the boss down as quickly as possible.

MORE EDITS: That was for 25m, I'm not sure what the difference is for 10m.

Erasus

Should I get into this game now? Is it too late?
My MMO history includes Flyff, Rohan, Aion, Guild Wars, Allods, RoM. Will it just feel to simmilar to f2p games to justify the cost of it?
I tried the trail a year or 2 ago but now with cata I am DLing it again to try it out. (9GB holy shit!)

None of my freinds play this so I´ll be going solo, but I like grouping so I´ll be doing that when I can. I like DPS and heal classes, if I want to be a healer what is the best class. From what I understand Preists, Druids and Paladins have heals, so which one to pick?

My guild won't invite anyone to raids that doesn't have an authenticator. It's not foolproof but we've had raids postponed/delayed due to people getting hacked right before, including the GL.

I imagine most people visit an infected site and hit by a flash vulnerabilty etc.

The canceled accounts I imagine they guess the password somehow, I don't think WoW locks your acct out after too many incorrect passwords, I've never seen such behavior anyway.

Everyone should have an authenticator. They're free or dirt cheap and it's worth it just for peace of mind.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Never too late for WoW.

Especially now with Cataclysm redesign.

Bisnic

Erasus said:
Should I get into this game now? Is it too late?
My MMO history includes Flyff, Rohan, Aion, Guild Wars, Allods, RoM. Will it just feel to simmilar to f2p games to justify the cost of it?
I tried the trail a year or 2 ago but now with cata I am DLing it again to try it out. (9GB holy shit!)

None of my freinds play this so I´ll be going solo, but I like grouping so I´ll be doing that when I can. I like DPS and heal classes, if I want to be a healer what is the best class. From what I understand Preists, Druids and Paladins have heals, so which one to pick?

It's never too late to jump into WoW. Especially after a new expansion like Cataclysm is released.

If you want to heal, you have priest, druid, paladin and shaman. They're all pretty good healers from what i've seen. But i'm no expert in this role.

Weenerz

Banned
kai3345 said:
FACK. I left my iPod (which is my authenticator) at my friends house and hes gone for the rest of the dayyyyy :(

If you know the mobile auth serial number, you can take it off till he gets home.

DeathNote said:
Looks like only one person can do it on my server. He is sell a few stacks of 5 for 15,000 and singles for 3.1k. If he bought the mats from the AH right this second it'd be a 1.3k profit.
What is this trick that you guys are speaking of? I have a max 525 herbalism/alchemy toon and my main is maxed out 525 tailoring/enchanting. I want in on the action! :)

Erasus

Sorry for the noob question but should I pick the relam that the game selects for me?

Also, PvP or PvE? I know the difference between the two, but are there any WoW specifics?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erasus said:
Sorry for the noob question but should I pick the relam that the game selects for me?

Also, PvP or PvE? I know the difference between the two, but are there any WoW specifics?
Never take the recommended servers. They suck and Blizzard tries to funnel players into them that don't know better.

I think PvP servers are the most fun. Really the only difference is Horde and Alliance will always be flagged to be able to fight each other. On PvE servers everyone is unable to PvP unless they specifically flag themselves for it, which they won't. Ever.

Bisnic

Erasus said:

You can pick any servers you want, although i recommend something that is either at Medium or High population.

The only difference between PVP and PVE servers in WoW is that you can (or cannot) kill players from the other faction that you meet in the world, other than instanced zones made specifically for PVP like battlegrounds and arenas, or in two high lvl zones.

If you dont want to deal with high lvl players killing you in 1 hit and maybe camping your corpse, while still being able to go into instanced PVP zones if you want to fight other players, go with PVE. If you don't care about that risk, go ahead and choose a PVP server.

Erasus said:
Sorry for the noob question but should I pick the realm that the game selects for me?

If you don't like getting randomly ganked while leveling, choose a normal server, and not a pvp server. At really low levels, you would have to flag yourself by first attacking the opposing faction. What I mean by flag is that you cannot be attacked, but once you attack someone, you're flagged for open game and people can see that you are attackable. The flag will go away if you refrain from attacking anyone for 5 minutes, I believe, but, in later levels, there is no flag (except in your faction's major cities) and it can get really annoying. It's your call. I'm stuck on a pvp server, because that is where my friends are located. Otherwise, I'd switch to a normal server with no regrets. Some people like the element of danger that being on a pvp server provides, and or they like being able to gank other people.

If you want to pvp a lot, go for resilience gear, which is purchased through honor points and conquest points, and those are obtained through BG's and doing Arena fights. If you like just doing dungeons, then use the random dungeon finder.

Deputy Moonman said:
What is this trick that you guys are speaking of? I have a max 525 herbalism/alchemy toon and my main is maxed out 525 tailoring/enchanting. I want in on the action! :)

You make the 359 epic alchemist trinket and then DE it. Instant cheap(er) Maelstrom Crystal, depending on the going rate of Volatile Life on your sever and the amount of money you can get from selling the crystals. It's not too in vogue on my server, for example, because Volatile Life is up around 8-9g usually and the crystals hang out at 1.1k-there just isn't a lot of profit in it.

On some servers where Volatile Life is at the 6-7g mark and crystals go for 2k+, it prints money.

The high-end enchants look expensive, but once 359 epics can be bought for JP in 4.1 there will be windwalk and landslide for the masses.

edit: The trinket will be flagged as not DE'able in 4.0.6.

Sai-kun

Banned
Bisnic said:
It's never too late to jump into WoW. Especially after a new expansion like Cataclysm is released.

If you want to heal, you have priest, druid, paladin and shaman. They're all pretty good healers from what i've seen. But i'm no expert in this role.

I've played a Priest to 60, a druid to 35, and a shaman to 75, and I think that the Shaman was the most fun to heal with.

Dunlop

Sai-kun said:
I've played a Priest to 60, a druid to 35, and a shaman to 75, and I think that the Shaman was the most fun to heal with.

You would probably need to have max level in all the classes for an apt comparison. Plus cataclysm completely changed the heal style of each class.

Fragamemnon said:
You make the 359 epic alchemist trinket and then DE it. Instant cheap(er) Maelstrom Crystal, depending on the going rate of Volatile Life on your sever and the amount of money you can get from selling the crystals. It's not too in vogue on my server, for example, because Volatile Life is up around 8-9g usually and the crystals hang out at 1.1k-there just isn't a lot of profit in it.

On some servers where Volatile Life is at the 6-7g mark and crystals go for 2k+, it prints money.

The high-end enchants look expensive, but once 359 epics can be bought for JP in 4.1 there will be windwalk and landslide for the masses.

edit: The trinket will be flagged as not DE'able in 4.0.6.
Thanks. Life is going for around 9-10g on my server and the crystals are usually sub 1k gold. But i'll look into it. My server always has cheap stuff and I have no idea why. While leveling my alchemy I was surprised at the drop rate of volatile life in Uldum. When going for whiptail it's really high. People must have been making a killing off of selling volatile life when Cata went live.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sai-kun said:
i also got my Priest to 60. i hate healing with it. The whole process is so boring.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dunlop said:
You would probably need to have max level in all the classes for an apt comparison. Plus cataclysm completely changed the heal style of each class.

I'm aware of that, was just giving my opinion from what I had played :)

water_wendi said:
i also got my Priest to 60. i hate healing with it. The whole process is so boring.

I'm leveling up a priest and at lvl 62, healing is ridiculously easy. I feel the only spells I'm using in dungeons are shield and renew. Every once in a blue moon I'll have to flash heal, but normally just those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom