• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Sebulon3k said:
Thinking of coming back to this after seeing the Sinestra World First, How's the raiding looking like?

Good if you like challenge. Probably the most hard bosses in a single tier ever. I wouldn't say any seem on par with Yogg 0, Muru, HLK t low buffs, etc, but there are VERY few pushovers on heroic.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Tried searching around a little bit, but I figured that it might be a bit faster to just post about it. Is there a general consensus as to what is the best 5m spec for healing as a priest? Would there be much of a difference between a 5m and 10m spec? I finally hit 85 and I am really excited to start healing stuff. iLvl is getting there, I am at 330.

Anybody have thoughts on druid healing vs. priest healing? (Not really on an endgame "effectiveness" but more on sheer button presses and enjoyment.)

I'm really enjoying my priest right now at 76. She's specced Holy and I love all of the options I feel like I have. Shield/PoM to start a fight and upkeep, Holy Words depending on whether damage is tank or spread, CoH and PoH for great group rescues (along with Holy Word: Sanctuary for ok healing and a gorgeous effect). Free Flash Heals and cast speed reduction on Greater Heal... It feels like there are so many fun tools!

My druid, on the other hand, is 72 and I feel a bit less enthusiastic, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm mainly just rolling lifebloom. I feel like once the group gets in trouble, then I get in trouble. How would a resto-druid sell resto healing as compelling? Any good videos out there?

I ask because I'd love to have my druid fully leveled, but I'm having trouble enjoying the class right now. But it may just be because I don't really understand the mechanics and tools.

Edit: To the above question--I think Holy right now is the more powerful spec overall (raid included). Check Plus Heal, they'll have better info than me. =)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bisnic said:
Wondering if there is some addon that turns off the sniffing sound worgens do when they're standing still? I HATE THAT SOUND.

You don't hear taurens mooing or any other races doing that kind of stuff!
If you're playing a female worgen make a laugh macro and spam it instead.

The sound of beating angel wings.

adam.chance

Neo Member
SnakeswithLasers said:
Edit: To the above question--I think Holy right now is the more powerful spec overall (raid included). Check Plus Heal, they'll have better info than me. =)

Thanks for the information. I will read up on that site.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dance In My Blood said:
If you're playing a female worgen make a laugh macro and spam it instead.

The sound of beating angel wings.

Nah, im not creepy enough to play a female worgen. Male worgens >>>>>> Female worgens. The female ones are an aberrations, their fucking face doesn't help at all. There is nothing cool or sexy about them.
I didnt hear their laughs a lot of times, but the few times i did, i was like "wtf, that's a laugh?"

Dunlop

adam.chance said:
Tried searching around a little bit, but I figured that it might be a bit faster to just post about it. Is there a general consensus as to what is the best 5m spec for healing as a priest? Would there be much of a difference between a 5m and 10m spec? I finally hit 85 and I am really excited to start healing stuff. iLvl is getting there, I am at 330.

defiantely holy is the better spec atm, the 4.0.6 patch might bring disc up to speed.

While beyond shit when raiding (for me so far anyways) the chakra-->heal combo works well in 5 mans and is easy on mana consumption, providing your group actually attempts to lock down and cc mobs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dunlop said:
defiantely holy is the better spec atm, the 4.0.6 patch might bring disc up to speed.

While beyond shit when raiding (for me so far anyways) the chakra-->heal combo works well in 5 mans and is easy on mana consumption, providing your group actually attempts to lock down and cc mobs.
the good/bad news is that the facerolling is already lightly starting. 2 of the pugs I've been in this week (just doing dailies at this point) have been faceroll pugs with zero CC and zerging the instance. not bad actually. in both cases we were in and out of the instance in just over 30 mins. but both times were a tank and healer from the same guild. if a tank tried doing this with a pug healer, my guess is one of them would leave.

cdyhybrid

borghe said:
the good/bad news is that the facerolling is already lightly starting. 2 of the pugs I've been in this week (just doing dailies at this point) have been faceroll pugs with zero CC and zerging the instance. not bad actually. in both cases we were in and out of the instance in just over 30 mins. but both times were a tank and healer from the same guild. if a tank tried doing this with a pug healer, my guess is one of them would leave.

I've seen the same. I think it's just people are finally getting geared out enough to be overgeared for Heroics. My DK tank doesn't have any epics except for Rep gear (rest is Heroic blues) but with my GL's priest we don't CC anything.

borghe said:
but both times were a tank and healer from the same guild. if a tank tried doing this with a pug healer, my guess is one of them would leave.

I'm at ilvl 350 now and if I get in a pug heroic, I'll ask the healer at the beginning if he'll be able to reliably keep me up without cc's. If he says yes, we'll zerg it. If not, cc's.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Azwethinkweiz said:
I'm at ilvl 350 now and if I get in a pug heroic, I'll ask the healer at the beginning if he'll be able to reliably keep me up without cc's. If he says yes, we'll zerg it. If not, cc's.
yeah, pretty sure ~350 is the sweet spot to actually be overpowered for heroics. it's where I am as DPS now and even if the tank zergs and isn't defensive enough to handle it or healer powerful enough to keep up, I am usually able to finish burning down dps after they fall either right before or right after I die. a full group ~350 can probably roll through a heroic without much effort aside from mechanics (i.e. mainly stonecore and GB)

J-Rzez

Sebulon3k said:
Thinking of coming back to this after seeing the Sinestra World First, How's the raiding looking like?

Superior to Wrath in every single way/manner. It's the fun/experience/quality of Ulduar HM's at the very least. While incredibly lame what they did to gear, you can tell they put their efforts into the raid experience and settings instead.

scoobs

I can't stress just how good 25 man raiding is in Cata. Reminiscent of vanilla WoW, in that, bosses are not cake walks anymore but they're doable with the right gear and players. Love it!

ilvl 358 now my DK now... gotta love it!

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anybody have thoughts on druid healing vs. priest healing? (Not really on an endgame "effectiveness" but more on sheer button presses and enjoyment.)

I'm really enjoying my priest right now at 76. She's specced Holy and I love all of the options I feel like I have. Shield/PoM to start a fight and upkeep, Holy Words depending on whether damage is tank or spread, CoH and PoH for great group rescues (along with Holy Word: Sanctuary for ok healing and a gorgeous effect). Free Flash Heals and cast speed reduction on Greater Heal... It feels like there are so many fun tools!

My druid, on the other hand, is 72 and I feel a bit less enthusiastic, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm mainly just rolling lifebloom. I feel like once the group gets in trouble, then I get in trouble. How would a resto-druid sell resto healing as compelling? Any good videos out there?

I ask because I'd love to have my druid fully leveled, but I'm having trouble enjoying the class right now. But it may just be because I don't really understand the mechanics and tools.

Druids are underpowered and not that well balanced right now. Personally not a huge fan of playing one at the moment...been keeping my offspec balance and only switching to a heal spec if no other healers are around.

Feral and Balance are way more fun than they've ever been, although bear tanking kind of sucks until you get thrash at 81.

Flib said:
Druids are underpowered and not that well balanced right now. Personally not a huge fan of playing one at the moment...been keeping my offspec balance and only switching to a heal spec if no other healers are around.

Feral and Balance are way more fun than they've ever been, although bear tanking kind of sucks until you get thrash at 81.
Ya, I would normally just tank to level (having 85 prot pally and 84.5 arms/prot warrior), but groups in the 70s are waaay too trigger happy and I'm not very good with the class yet, so I find that bear tanking in LK groups is tough for me and an exercise in frustration.

Guess I'll just keep leveling my priest. But herbing in flight form and /sit as a bird are too cool to pass up forever!

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Ya, I would normally just tank to level (having 85 prot pally and 84.5 arms/prot warrior), but groups in the 70s are waaay too trigger happy and I'm not very good with the class eyt, so I find that bear tanking in LK druids is tough for me and an exercise in frustration.

Guess I'll just keep leveling my priest. But herbing in flight form and /sit as a bird are too cool to pass up forever!

It's not your fault, it's that swipe just doesn't work at that point. Literally right at 81, you will turn from a really shitty tank to a great tank. It's bizarre.

Weenerz

Banned
Flib said:
It's not your fault, it's that swipe just doesn't work at that point. Literally right at 81, you will turn from a really shitty tank to a great tank. It's bizarre.

All this one says is true. Thrash really makes you feel like a WotLK tank again.

Cyrillus

SnakeswithLasers said:
Ya, I would normally just tank to level (having 85 prot pally and 84.5 arms/prot warrior), but groups in the 70s are waaay too trigger happy and I'm not very good with the class yet, so I find that bear tanking in LK groups is tough for me and an exercise in frustration.

It's not too bad, although I will agree it was terribly frustrating at the time. I just made sure to have the skull raid icon hot-keyed, and if a dps pulls a trash mob off you it's not like they'll get 2-shot. If I see dps continuously going all-out on a target that is not the skull, I'll let them tank it until it's dead, and if the healer decides to keep them alive, then so be it.

It's worth it to stick it out until 81, especially if you're already in your 70's.

I'm still upset heroic modes are a UI toggle, rather than being triggered in specific ways like the Ulduar ones were, or Sarth 3D. It's just a lot more lame, and the differences between heroic and normal modes seem to have been a lot less inspired or drastic since Ulduar, which essentially provided double the boss fights there actually were (albeit for a few, as Hodir was just a speed kill.) The toggle also killed scaling fight difficulty like you could have with the steps between Sarth and Sarth 3D, or Yogg to Yogg+1, to Yogg+0 for example.

25-man raiding is good from what I've done so far - I still think it makes a lot of the fights this tier slightly easier (from a tank's perspective at least) than 10 mans, but the logistics of managing 25 people makes up for it I suppose.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm still upset heroic modes are a UI toggle, rather than being triggered in specific ways like the Ulduar ones were, or Sarth 3D. It's just a lot more lame, and the differences between heroic and normal modes seem to have been a lot less inspired or drastic since Ulduar, which essentially provided double the boss fights there actually were (albeit for a few, as Hodir was just a speed kill.) The toggle also killed scaling fight difficulty like you could have with the steps between Sarth and Sarth 3D, or Yogg to Yogg+1, to Yogg+0 for example.

25-man raiding is good from what I've done so far - I still think it makes a lot of the fights this tier slightly easier (from a tank's perspective at least) than 10 mans, but the logistics of managing 25 people makes up for it I suppose.

While I somewhat agree about Ulduar being the pinnacle of how boss heroic modes were implemented, BWD's heroic modes are a step in the right direction. Nef RP/interfering with boss fights to add mechanics = pretty neat.

Sax Russel said:
While I somewhat agree about Ulduar being the pinnacle of how boss heroic modes were implemented, BWD's heroic modes are a step in the right direction. Nef RP/interfering with boss fights to add mechanics = pretty neat.

I sort of forgot about how that happens when I wrote my comment. It definitely is a step in the right direction to at least have some RP when facing heroic bosses like that, rather than they way ToC/ICC handled it.

TheYanger said:
Good if you like challenge. Probably the most hard bosses in a single tier ever. I wouldn't say any seem on par with Yogg 0, Muru, HLK t low buffs, etc, but there are VERY few pushovers on heroic.

Incomplete answer. All my guildmates rave that raids feel better and more well made than any since Ulduar (though not reaching that bad boy in quality). Better looking loot, better pacing (read: any), and there's just a much more, well, wholesome feel to progression. There's less "swords of damocles" hanging over heads now. It's OK to wipe, it's ok to learn fights you researched, it's OK to take your time again and not feel as if everything has to be inhaled then farmed. Asshole Bosses are accomplishments to overcome, not something that
is keeping you from what's promised as yours.

It's just MUCH MUCH healthier for healthy guilds like it was in BC.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Incomplete answer. All my guildmates rave that raids feel better and more well made than any since Ulduar (though not reaching that bad boy in quality). Better looking loot, better pacing (read: any), and there's just a much more, well, wholesome feel to progression. There's less "swords of damocles" hanging over heads now. It's OK to wipe, it's ok to learn fights you researched, it's OK to take your time again and not feel as if everything has to be inhaled then farmed. Asshole Bosses are accomplishments to overcome, not something that
is keeping you from what's promised as yours.

It's just MUCH MUCH healthier for healthy guilds like it was in BC.
Don't really think a broad question can have an incomplete answer.

The bold part is personal. Countless guilds have fun with trial and error progression every expansion.

DeathNote said:
Don't really think a broad question can have an incomplete answer.

The bold part is personal. Countless guilds have fun with trial and error progression every expansion.

Read the Blue Tracker posts and various dev blogs, the game's PvE has eased off noticably from the breakneck expectedness of Wrath. The bolded is the result of the unbolded (although, it is much more complicated than that. Things always are).

In other news, Goblin leveling is very well-designed and cleaner than I had thought earlier. But it is fun going to the big island before you're done on the little island and seeing absolutely NO humanoids except at the Naga base. Every other settlement is eerily abandoned.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
have Blizz ever commented on why some new loading screens are still 4:3?

Guild had our third or fourth night of wipes on Cho'Gall. Phase Two just isn't coming together. Best we've done is 4%. Something always goes wrong like one willy nilly person's corruption is too high or something like that. Don't know what else to do.

Thoraxes

ToyMachine228 said:
Guild had our third or fourth night of wipes on Cho'Gall. Phase Two just isn't coming together. Best we've done is 4%. Something always goes wrong like one willy nilly person's corruption is too high or something like that. Don't know what else to do.
How many add summons are you getting before P2? You can push him into the last phase with an add up and he eats one.

Also, at least for my guild, we switched all of our DPS on the adds, and had a bunch of people interrupting and such, which really helped out the healers a ton. Additionally, I don't know if it's just my situation, but even as a feral tank, I can switch over to cat after I get the debuff and still pull 13k, so it's like we gain an extra DPS in the last phase.

Overall though, I think if you have people interrupting the adds channeled ability as you all switch to them, it'll reduce overall raid damage and make things a lot smoother for everyone. We only got 3 waves of adds before he died in the last phase.

As for the corruption stuff, they need to stop being bad and pay more attention. Either that or maybe throw an extra DPS on the adds during P1 when the little guys come out. We used a frost mage and demo lock.

Edit: Obligatory everyone flask and max food buff statement.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fuck my guild.

Last week. Atremedes 10 man...down in 2 attempts (knock the first one off due to unfamiliarity). Easiest boss in current raiding, IMO...aside from maybe Magmaw.

Tried 25 man tonight...took 3 fucking hours. One guy is hitting the gongs to interrupt just fine, I'm hitting the gongs in air phase fine. Melee is dodging sound bubbles just fine. Ranged is seemingly retarded. They have 10 seconds to dodge a bubble, but what do they do? They keep casting and try to move out at the last second. Usually one healer down by the first air phase, and maybe a dps or two. It's downhill from that moment on.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
TheExodu5 said:
Fuck my guild.

Last week. Atremedes 10 man...down in 2 attempts (knock the first one off due to unfamiliarity). Easiest boss in current raiding, IMO...aside from maybe Magmaw.

Tried 25 man tonight...took 3 fucking hours. One guy is hitting the gongs to interrupt just fine, I'm hitting the gongs in air phase fine. Melee is dodging sound bubbles just fine. Ranged is seemingly retarded. They have 10 seconds to dodge a bubble, but what do they do? They keep casting and try to move out at the last second. Usually one healer down by the first air phase, and maybe a dps or two. It's downhill from that moment on.
You can't possibly be Anna.

Brazil

TheExodu5 said:
Prinny
Wrath - Skullcrusher

There is an Annaleiah in our guild...
That was bizarre. Seriously: I've been through the exact same situation on my guild.

2-shotted 10-man Atramedes last week, came in to kill 25-man version today and it took us almost three hours because ranged was failing.

Good to know we're not alone in this world.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the guy who was ringing the gongs on Air Phase (Anna) sounds absurdly like L on Vent.

TheExodu5 said:
God damned ranged...
Well last night my guild spent the majority of the night banging our heads against a wall on Council (25m) in BoT. That fight is massively buggy in phase 2, with chain lightnings going off without enough time to move away, and melee getting killed by invisible fire. So instead of going back there tonight, we went to BWD instead. Downed Chimaeron on 25m, went to Atramedes next and got him down on our very last attempt of the night (think it was 3rd or 4th try). But yeah, if ranged dps, or anyone for that matter (melee included), gets tunnel vision, they'll screw everyone else over. We were really desperate to get some new bosses down tonight after struggling on Council, so it felt good. Hopefully, tomorrow we can knock out Council and Cho'gall or maybe Nef.

Brazil

Deputy Moonman said:
Well last night my guild spent the majority of the night banging our heads against a wall on Council (25m) in BoT. That fight is massively buggy in phase 2, with chain lightnings going off without enough time to move away, and melee getting killed by invisible fire. So instead of going back there tonight, we went to BWD instead. Downed Chimaeron on 25m, went to Atramedes next and got him down on our very last attempt of the night (think it was 3rd or 4th try). But yeah, if ranged dps, or anyone for that matter (melee included), gets tunnel vision, they'll screw everyone else over. We were really desperate to get some new bosses down tonight after struggling on Council, so it felt good. Hopefully, tomorrow we can knock out Council and Cho'gall or maybe Nef.
I didn't face the problems you mentioned with Council on 25 man. The Chain Lightnings seem to take 10 seconds or more to be cast from the moment the arrow appears on the players' heads.

Meier

Canceled my account today... haven't played in weeks. Sick of the 40 minute heroic queues that 9/10 end in a failed group anyway. It just isn't fun.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Read the Blue Tracker posts and various dev blogs, the game's PvE has eased off noticably from the breakneck expectedness of Wrath. The bolded is the result of the unbolded (although, it is much more complicated than that. Things always are).

In other news, Goblin leveling is very well-designed and cleaner than I had thought earlier. But it is fun going to the big island before you're done on the little island and seeing absolutely NO humanoids except at the Naga base. Every other settlement is eerily abandoned.
It's possible to have fun doing trial and error no matter what they give you... it's been a major part of game play since vanilla and other MMO's before WOW. It's built into the dfenition of progression, which people obviously done in WOTLK. If you played in the middle of ICC's release and people expected you to know everything, yeah, but that's not progression that's being carried and them expecting you to pull weight despite not having practice like tons of other people have had in the previous months. It's going to be the same when this content is on farm and the new raids aren't released yet.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Meier said:
Canceled my account today... haven't played in weeks. Sick of the 40 minute heroic queues that 9/10 end in a failed group anyway. It just isn't fun.
roll a tank or healer

or get in a good guild ;)

making the switch to tanking was the best thing i did on my druid. not only do i have fast queues for heroics, but it has made me generally a better player. when i do a guild run through a heroic i usually go as feral dps, and my tanking experience of the last 1-2 weeks has made me a better kitty. i'm more aware of what's going on, dodge death zones, interrupt more, battle res when the healer or tank drops, i instinctively know what my kill priority is in trash pulls, i CC with roots or sleep effectively. it's common for me to be the last DPS standing in a bad trash pull or boss fight simply because i know what to avoid and react quicker.

but it's not all sunshine and lollipops. i've tanked with some truly awful pugs. I mark a difficult pull in Throne of Tides (last one before first boss) which requires 2-3 CC with me tanking another 2-3 adds. i ask if everyone is ready, pull, and almost none of the CC happens, each dps just starts attacking a separate mob. i deliberately make the choice not to pickup the loose aggro cause i want them to CC them and focus on the skull then X. instead they keep attacking, the healer tries to keep them all up, goes oom, we all die and not a single one of the mobs from the pull are dead.

one of the DPS (shammy who was meant to hex, but didn't) says i'm a terrible tank and leaves the group, then the healer drops and so does everyone else. one of the DPS says the shammy is wrong and a total idiot, which was absolutely true. he just started attacking the one he was meant to hex and died.

so i just reque and immediately get Throne of Tides again. this new group is WAY better. DPS CCs what they're meant to, focuses on skull and X, waits for me to pull, listens to my instructions and we get through the whole dungeon. this was only the second time i tanked the instance and was the first time for other people in the pug. we one shot a few bosses and only wiped 2-3 times in the entire instance. some from bad trash pulls on my part, a difficult boss, or when the final boss bugged out.

it's so easy to blame bad groups on the tank, healer or both because they're such pivotal roles to a group, but really DPS is just as important. if they don't CC well, focus fire skull and then X, interrupt, or put out decent damage to finish a fight before the healer goes oom the whole thing can full apart. so many people just don't understand why a run is failing, and i was probably the same before i started tanking. now i immediately know why we wipe.

Meier said:

Well, just sign back up when patch 4.1 drops and everyone has easy access to 359 epics. Heroics will be facerollable again.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
funkmastergeneral said:
Well, just sign back up when patch 4.1 drops and everyone has easy access to 359 epics. Heroics will be facerollable again.
what's happening in 4.1?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
funkmastergeneral said:

Im not sure, idiots who stand in fire and dont interrupt will probably still die, even with 359s.

Dunlop

I'm totally getting Paladin envy,

We we missing some main players so had a couple of people doing offspec or first time, we took down Omnotron with our ragtag group but it was rough.

using manaregen cooldowns, core of ripeness trinket, potion, ect.. I finished with about 5%mana left.

The off spec Paladin who was just slightly below me on the healing meters finished with 75% of his mana left

My lvl 82 pally alt is looking more interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom