• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thnikkaman said:
Had to in the end. No guild so far, one I want to join has a very obscure application process.

What level are you? I've never played more than 3 levels on any character in WoW without being randomly invited by some guild.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I just recently found out (again) that, yes, Arena is the worst thing that ever happened to this game.

It's so fucking bad you can point and laugh at the fact that it's still in the game.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
Been disappointed with 90% of the in game cinematics. In Twilight Highlands for example, Deathwing and the other Dragon hugging in the air while you kill dragons. In Uldum that NPC jumping up on the statue, sticking a rope on it, then jumping down and leveling it. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Can't think of all the other lame stuff off the top of my head.

Yeah, the in game stuff really doesn't lend a hand in a favorable way to the visuals, and they are actually distracting from the "lore" going on in them as they're so horrible. The engine is really beat, and those in game cinematics just expose it on a totally different level. The clipping, sudden "mirror effect" direction changes, the limited ranges of animations, really shows how ancient the engine is. It needs a massive overhaul, but at this point in the game, it'll never get addressed. The next visual upgrade from Blizzard will be "Titan" and there will probably be a good chance it'll be outdated looking before it hits store shelves/D2D. Outside of CGI work, visuals and accompanying techs really are outside of Blizzard's talents. I fully understand the "so more people can play" line, but at least make it so those with a bleeding edge PC can enjoy their machine and see a better product.

On a side note, Rated BG's are the most intense action I've experienced in the game, which naturally includes Raiding and Arena. It has the punch of Clan Battles in shooters for me, so good, soo soo good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Macattk15 said:
I for one, being a reliable interrupter, hate all the interrupt fights in this raid tier. Its retarded ... can't I just sit there and faceroll DPS!

It sucks that the other interrupter with me is rather shitty at doing so ... which often fucks me up.
I much prefer the other mechanic that us melee have to deal with, "move out of thing that kills you"

Funny that you guys get worked up because someone is annoyed that he isn't able to play the character he wants due to somebody griefing him.

World "PVP" adds a great element to the game. But not everyone has to agree that camping someone that can't retaliate on their own for hours is awesome fun.

Brazil

cuevas said:
What? Why?
Despite the fact that "Arena balance" influences PvE and BGs, it's still the same old "Oh, you're playing this spec? Too bad for you, you can't! Maybe in the next expansion!"

It's obvious that Blizzard can't, never could and will never be able to balance all the classes, so how the fuck can duels in a box be a good idea?

Complete bullshit.

J-Rzez

Brazil said:
I just recently found out (again) that, yes, Arena is the worst thing that ever happened to this game.

It's so fucking bad you can point and laugh at the fact that it's still in the game.

PVP in a shoebox isn't all that to me neither. I enjoy it casually at times, but that's about it. There's so many glaring flaws with it is the problem. They can't, and never will be able to balance it due to PVE, and the other way around. Some things will be incredibly weak, some people will find out something that's incredibly OP that it's near unstoppable unless you roll it too. Class is too weak in PVE since "every class should be viable" line, they buff it, not realizing the impact it'll have in PVP because perhaps said class has too good of abilities in PVP as is, now their DPS will get cranked up to boot with their survivability/cc/short burst.

Now they're hacking up the PVP gear stats to make them less desirable in PVE. Now once again, people who have access to soon to be superior PVE raiding gear will roll faces. It's not an easy feat for them to do, I don't envy their position on this at all. But if they want to get this "e-sport" taken far more seriously, and far less laughed at on gaming circuits and fans, they need to put far more attention and effort to it.

Rapstah

Looking back at the heroic bosses phase of the 2010 live raid:

• Why was Commander Ulthok there and why did they label him as "one of our roughest encounters"? He is the easiest heroic boss at the moment! His only mechanic loses its point through him not being in his room!
  • Why were the bosses still level 87? The raid was still level 80!
  • Why did Blizzard buff their health? Having to fight the 2-4 million HP versions would've been hard too without being unfair.

All in all I preferred the whole 2009 setup with them fighting various bosses in the underground part of TOC. It might not have been as planned but it felt like Blizzard handled it better, I mean, jeez, don't give the raid four tries on the Molten Core bosses if you're pressed on time. Can't wait for 2011 though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SnakeswithLasers said:
Funny that you guys get worked up because someone is annoyed that he isn't able to play the character he wants due to somebody griefing him.

World "PVP" adds a great element to the game. But not everyone has to agree that camping someone that can't retaliate on their own for hours is awesome fun.

Well, it's awesome fun for the griefer. You can't deny that. No one does that for 2 hours if it's not fun.

I don't know where you get "worked up" from. I just said it sounds like a hilarious way to spend one's time.

Twig

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
So this same ?? level worgen death knight is corpse camping me across several zones for about two hours now. What a great way to spend your time.
Owned.
I've enjoyed levelling on the server because great encounters have happened, it's just shit when a max level player takes up two hours of your time when he probably gets no reward when I'm at my level.
His reward is that he camped your ass for two hours and you couldn't get shit done.

So awesome. :3

thetrin

Twig said:
Owned.

His reward is that he camped your ass for two hours and you couldn't get shit done.

Oh look, someone gets how PvP servers work!

Sai-kun

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Had to in the end. No guild so far, one I want to join has a very obscure application process.

I've enjoyed levelling on the server because great encounters have happened, it's just shit when a max level player takes up two hours of your time when he probably gets no reward when I'm at my level.

I think that guy was a douche, but I have to agree with whoever said that you should've just logged out and done something else. Not worth getting super frustrated over. I woulda bailed after like the second or third time.

thefil

Sai-kun said:
I think that guy was a douche, but I have to agree with whoever said that you should've just logged out and done something else. Not worth getting super frustrated over. I woulda bailed after like the second or third time.

That's pretty much what you have to do. Or transfer to a non-PvP server (which is what I did). Playing on PvP is buying into this kind of interaction.

Thnikkaman said:
So this same ?? level worgen death knight is corpse camping me across several zones for about two hours now. What a great way to spend your time.
I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong with people playing Worgen. I've leveled 2 characters to 85 on a PvP-server, and only Worgen have killed me when they were clearly of much higher level.

Rapstah

HarryHengst said:
I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong with people playing Worgen. I've leveled 2 characters to 85 on a PvP-server, and only Worgen have killed me when they were clearly of much higher level.
"My character is ferocious, man, I can't help it"

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Sai-kun said:
thefil said:
That's pretty much what you have to do. Or transfer to a non-PvP server (which is what I did). Playing on PvP is buying into this kind of interaction.
I had the game windowed, so I wasn't bored. Just can't see how following me around for little to no reward could be entertaining.

Twig said:

Tell me your secrets! I would be bored to tears doing that!

Sober

Brazil said:

I gave up trying to convince people Arena wasn't that fun. I play with friends, but nothing serious. IMO there are problems Blizzard isn't willing to concede to. Current PVP is fine in world PVP (things like CC durations, etc.) but since they insist on taking that next step and making BGs and Arenas so sterile in terms of how PVP itself is played out, I find it extremely confusing why they don't just seperate the PVP and PVE games altogether. Here's the thing, if you raid and do arenas/BGs seriously, they will give a damn and remember the difference between how certain spells work in the wider world and in the instanced PVP world. If someone plays one near-exclusively, then they won't give too much a damn what the differences are.

And if I did have to really give PVP a super serious thought, I did like that Rated BGs exist, but I've never really liked WoW's (or any MMO's) PVP since "balance" must be a nightmare with all possibilities of gear, talents mixed with player skill.

Twig said:

I can't say I ever had the privilege of being camped for more than 15 minutes. Maybe once, but then I logged off and did something else. Pretty sure someone will give up when your corpse doesn't disappear after a while. Barring that, take the spirit rez and just sit your toon at an inn and alt-tab out for a while.

Brazil

Thnikkaman said:
I had the game windowed, so I wasn't bored. Just can't see how following me around for little to no reward could be entertaining.
Fucking with people you don't know anonimously in the internet without punishment is the closest you can get to heaven on Earth.

Specially if you think the other guy is getting all worked up.

thetrin

HarryHengst said:

*shrug* I play a Worgen DK. I love the look of Worgens. I especially love that their taunt is a roar.

I really love that Blizzard also made an extra effort to explain the back story of Worgen Death Knights.

Thnikkaman said:

Your frustration is his reward.

Brazil said:
Fucking with people you don't know anonimously in the internet without punishment is the closest you can get to heaven on Earth.

Specially if you think the other guy is getting all worked up.

Essentially this.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HarryHengst said:

Lol. Tell that to all the blood elves and night elves that killed me in PVP servers before worgens were there.

thetrin said:
*shrug* I play a Worgen DK. I love the look of Worgens. I especially love that their taunt is a roar.

I really love that Blizzard also made an extra effort to explain the back story of Worgen Death Knights.

If I ever had to transfer factions (which I try to avoid on purpose), I'd make my Tauren DK a Worgen - it's probably the only (Male) Alliance model I could stand for very long, especially since I could keep him in Worgen form the entire time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
notworksafe said:
Really? Is there an extra bit of dialogue or something?

It's probably that quest where you've got to kill someone of your race that you knew before you were a DK.

notworksafe said:
Really? Is there an extra bit of dialogue or something?

I haven't experienced it myself, but if you make a Worgen DK and go through the starting area, the part where you are forced to kill an old ally, I believe it explains to you how you were servants of Arugal in the old SFK.

EDIT: Found it on Wowpedia

Worgen death knights are former slaves of Arugal. These former Gilnean citizens of Pyrewood Village managed to escape the wizard's control only to fall prey to the Lich King. During the Death Knight starting quests, you learn how Worgen death knights came to be.

Lord Harford says: Come to finish the job, have you?
Lord Harford says: You'll look me in the eyes when...
Lord Harford says: <Name>?
Lord Harford says: <Name>, I'd recognize that face anywhere... What... What have they done to you, <name>?
Lord Harford says says: You don't remember me? We were both servants of Arugal back in Silverpine Forest. We put up with his merciless torture for ages. It was you who saved me on that fateful night when we escaped Shadowfang Keep.
Lord Harford says: Without you I would have died. YOU! The most noble worgen I ever knew.
Lord Harford says: What have they done to you, <name>? How could this have happened?
Lord Harford says: Remember the worgen you once were, <brother/sister>! You were our savior! Fight this!
Lord Harford says: Listen to me <name>. You must fight against the Lich King's control. He is a monster that wants to see this world - our world - in ruin.
Lord Harford says: Don't let him use you to accomplish his goals. You were once a hero and you can be again.
Lord Harford says: Fight, damn you! Fight his control!
Knight Commander Plaguefist yells: What's going on in there? What's taking so long, <name>?
Lord Harford says: There... There's no more time for me. I'm done for. Finish me off, <name>. Do it or they'll kill us both. <Name>... Remember Gilneas, our beloved home. This world is worth saving.
Lord Harford says: Do it, <name>! Put me out of my misery!

Brazil said:
Despite the fact that "Arena balance" influences PvE and BGs, it's still the same old "Oh, you're playing this spec? Too bad for you, you can't! Maybe in the next expansion!"

It's obvious that Blizzard can't, never could and will never be able to balance all the classes, so how the fuck can duels in a box be a good idea?

Complete bullshit.

It's funny too because the same people will troll other threads with "this game isn't balanced around 1v1."

I've always hated arena and resilience. Resilience was a step in the right direction but the fact that people have to grind or pay for a pittance worth of it just to PVP has never sat right with me. Add the fact that arena/rated bgs make it so PVP has a tiered gear system, and I'm just like fuck it I'll go play an FPS.

notworksafe

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I haven't experienced it myself, but if you make a Worgen DK and go through the starting area, the part where you are forced to kill an old ally, I believe it explains to you how you were servants of Arugal in the old SFK.

Wow, nice. Glad they worked that in there. I'll have to make a Goblin DK to see how they make that work with the lore.

EDIT: Or just check the googles :p

You don't remember me, <name>? I lost count of the number of jobs you and I ran back in the day on Kezan. Then I picked up a real bad Kaja'Cola habit and you saved me! It was you who took me to Kalimdor to join the Steamwheedle Cartel. You were the only good goblin I knew. That's how I ended up in the Argent Dawn, because I knew it's what you woulda done. How could this have happened to you?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CarbonatedFalcon said:

Except it doesn't make sense because Worgen can't be undead. So...trying to explain it this way kind of just makes it worse.

Brazil said:

Complete bullshit.

There are gladiators of every class every season, if you can't get the title it has to do with you. If you aren't a top caliber player maybe arena isn't for you.

If you are trying to complain that Warlocks, Mages, or rogues should have three specs each that are viable for PvP then I have no sympathy for you.

Flib

Dance In My Blood said:
Except it doesn't make sense because Worgen can't be undead. So...trying to explain it this way kind of just makes it worse.

Death Knights (the class) aren't undead, they're alive.

cuevas said:
There are gladiators of every class every season, if you can't get the title it has to do with you. If you aren't a top caliber player maybe arena isn't for you.

If you are trying to complain that Warlocks, Mages, or rogues should have three specs each that are viable for PvP then I have no sympathy for you.

Arena should have never been the focal point of PVP or the only route to get the highest/best PVP gear available in the game. It's led to nothing but stale BGs, AFKers/botters and a shitter community.

Devolution said:
Arena should have never been the focal point of PVP or the only route to get the highest/best PVP gear available in the game. It's led to nothing but stale BGs, AFKers/botters and a shitter community.

They added rated BGs for people who don't like arena, I love both of them.

Devolution said:

That Blizzard only implemented rated BGs two expansions after arenas is really disappointing, IMO. It should have been there with Arenas (or before even!)

Unrelated:

Anyone know how T11 point drops are going to work once T12 is out? Since current VP items will be moved down to JP, and the T12 stuff will be bought with VP, will T11 bosses only drop JP?

I'm curious to how this will be handled, since this is something that was addressed more elegantly by just having different badges for each tier, and moving the previous tier's badges down. Now they'll have to change multiple things, unless they plan to allow people to farm old content for new gear (like Karazhan was?)

Ganking lowbies is the best. When they first made it so you could make opposite faction characters on the same pvp realm I made an alliance lowbie and did a /who of low level zones to see what was the most densly populated, and then went there to raise some hell. The best part is when the lowbies friends come to defend them. Real world PvP!

funkmastergeneral said:
Ganking lowbies is the best. When they first made it so you could make opposite faction characters on the same pvp realm I made an alliance lowbie and did a /who of low level zones to see what was the most densly populated, and then went there to raise some hell. The best part is when the lowbies friends come to defend them. Real world PvP!
Wait, you can do this?

Blizzard has made this game crazy different in six years.

dimb

Flib said:
Maybe, but even this was a retcon.

Also I'm pretty sure the very introduction to the DK starting zone talks about you paying your life.

dimb

SnakeswithLasers said:
Wait, you can do this?

Blizzard has made this game crazy different in six years.
They just do it so people can pay for faction changes.

J-Rzez

Flib said:

The "Death Knight" class/unit lore has been mangled a few times. From undead spellcasters to current which I believe are those who gave their soul/free will to Arthas and granted immortality/power in exchange. I could be wrong.

Though they can "become undead" for short periods of time like 10 seconds every 2 mins. :p

J-Rzez said:
The "Death Knight" class/unit lore has been mangled a few times. From undead spellcasters to current which I believe are those who gave their soul/free will to Arthas and granted immortality/power in exchange. I could be wrong.

Though they can "become undead" for short periods of time like 10 seconds every 2 mins. :p

Not really - the playable class is completely different from the undead spellcaster type.

The spellcasters were created by Gul'dan, while the fierce melee warriors we know today were created by (and were former servants of) the Lich King.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Death_knight

Read the lore section.

Twig

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Tell me your secrets! I would be bored to tears doing that!
Oh, man, I totally would be, too. Longest I've ever camped someone is like half an hour, and that wasn't really camping, so much as claiming the Alliance quest hub as our - I was with some guildies - territory.

But I gotta respect that asshole for having the dedication to camp for two hours. If it did more than just waste your time... like, if it made you delevel or broke your gear or had some kind of detrimental effect, THEN I could see myself doing it. But yeah. Props to that guy!
HarryHengst said:
Furries. They have no morals.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking of gathering, you can seriously level up Alch and Herb to 525 in 3 hours of farming herbs from skill level 0. Probably a few more if you do the SM goldthorn resets.

Either way, I'll definitely make a second alch eventually on an alt.

Go go 8 truegolds.

DeathNote said:
Speaking of gathering, you can seriously level up Alch and Herb to 525 in 3 hours of farming herbs from skill level 0. Probably a few more if you do the SM goldthorn resets.

Either way, I'll definitely make a second alch eventually on an alt.
Damn, what route are you using?

Might be something I do on my hunter. I just abandoned LW to pick up herbalism, but haven't yet done anything with it. Might as well drop skinning too and pick up alchemy. Give me a chance to use my new hippogryph mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom