• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Damn, what route are you using?

Might be something I do on my hunter. I just abandoned LW to pick up herbalism, but haven't yet done anything with it. Might as well drop skinning too and pick up alchemy. Give me a chance to use my new hippogryph mount.
Used this to get to 525 in a few hours on a 150% mount:
http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-herbalism-guide.html
Went back and farmed what I was missing and spent a few hundred on AH.

I used the website for enchanting, blacksmithing and engineering as well.

Solid.

DeathNote said:
Speaking of gathering, you can seriously level up Alch and Herb to 525 in 3 hours of farming herbs from skill level 0. Probably a few more if you do the SM goldthorn resets.

Either way, I'll definitely make a second alch eventually on an alt.

Go go 8 truegolds.

Have a second alchy as a mage who I'm leveling (64 atm) and he'll be my transmute bitch while I change my main back to elixir spec, and maybe alternate potion spec if I need to make those since I make those in batches usually.

Any way to check your characters currency from armory or mobile armory? I'm trying to figure out my current JP for heirloom purchasing and won't be able to play wow for a bit.

Vashjir felt so fucking claustrophobic and linear. Uldum and TH were much better about feeling like a real land.

On that note, anyone notice the...singleness of NPC interaction with you? As in, they act as if you're the only PC or adventurer about? So who are those other folks then...

DeathNote said:
Been disappointed with 90% of the in game cinematics. In Twilight Highlands for example, Deathwing and the other Dragon hugging in the air while you kill dragons. In Uldum that NPC jumping up on the statue, sticking a rope on it, then jumping down and leveling it. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Can't think of all the other lame stuff off the top of my head.

The ones for the goblin starting zones are so shockingly BETTER. Much more so, ala Wrathgate. I absolutely have no idea why there's this yawning gulf in quality.

They could always just stop fucking doing these shitty-ass things. If it's not going to be good, why bother? Isn't that Blizzard's mantra? Horrible.

My tongue-in-cheek theory is that they're for people who've never touched any other RPGs before "Like, omg, it brings the world to life and stuff! How come no one's done this until now?"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Not really - the playable class is completely different from the undead spellcaster type.

The spellcasters were created by Gul'dan, while the fierce melee warriors we know today were created by (and were former servants of) the Lich King.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Death_knight

Read the lore section.
Yes, created by the Lich King as in pulled back from death to serve him.

Just watch the original trailer for WotLK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJMH-LrZ5w
Dude dies, dude comes back as Death Knight. Every major DK every besides Arthas has been undead. I don't know what else to tell you.The lore is very shaky and poorly written, but the dead serve(ed) the Lich King.

Twig

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
My tongue-in-cheek theory is that they're for people who've never touched any other RPGs before "Like, omg, it brings the world to life and stuff! How come no one's done this until now?"
Heh, maybe. I'm sure they had PLANS for it all to be as grand and awesome as Wrathgate, but they ran out of resources (time and people, obviously, not money) and had these cutscene voids to fill and either rushed them through or shoved 'em at a few doe-eyed interns.

They're just so glaringly bad. Thank god I can skip them. Or... most of them, anyway. If it doesn't bug out. ]':

notworksafe

Dance In My Blood said:
Actually the lore implies that "Champions of the Lich King" don't die but sell their souls to the Lich King in order to be Death Knights.

Twig

Banned
notworksafe said:
Actually the lore implies that "Champions of the Lich King" don't die but sell their souls to the Lich King in order to be Death Knights.
Been a while since I played the DK starting area, but I thought the in-game lore, at least, implied that they did actually die and were brought back to life by force to serve the Lich King.

notworksafe

I was just reading the link that was posted. I haven't played a DK since the first two weeks of the LK expansion, so if in game stuff goes the other way than never mind.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
cuevas said:
There are gladiators of every class every season, if you can't get the title it has to do with you. If you aren't a top caliber player maybe arena isn't for you.

If you are trying to complain that Warlocks, Mages, or rogues should have three specs each that are viable for PvP then I have no sympathy for you.
I suck at Arenas. I'm not delusional enough to blame Blizzard for that.

The gripe I have with Arenas is the fact that they're only fun for a ridiculously low number of players, while most just grind it for PvP gear, and yet Blizzard insists in balancing this game with it in mind. That old idea dated back from BC does not sound so implausible for me anymore - that one that said Blizz should split Arenas from the main game.

And, I'm sorry, but "every class is a Gladiator every season" means nothing. What about hybrids? Retribution has nothing to do with Holy. They require completely different mindsets to be played. Besides, Arenas are like Sunwell Plateau: if you don't have friends with the right combination of classes, you can't play competitively.

What I'm saying is: make separate rules for Arenas - don't let the game of 1% of the player base influence that much on PvE and BGs PvP.

Twig

Banned
Brazil said:

The gripe I have with Arenas is the fact that they're only fun for a ridiculously low number of players, while most just grind it for PvP gear, and yet Blizzard insists in balancing this game with it in mind. That old idea dated back from BC does not sound so implausible for me anymore - that one that said Blizz should split Arenas from the main game.

And, I'm sorry, but "every class is a Gladiator every season" means nothing. What about hybrids? Retribution has nothing to do with Holy. They require completely different mindsets to be played. Besides, Arenas are like Sunwell Plateau: if you don't have friends with the right combination of classes, you can't play competitively.

What I'm saying is: make separate rules for Arenas - don't let the game of 1% of the player base influence that much on PvE and BGs PvP.
This guy knows what's up.

Magnus said:
PvP and PvE should have been split a long time ago as far as spell/skill functionality goes.

Yeah it would save them so much number crunching and bullshit if they would just separate the two for good. I've long said they should just make separate talent trees and abilities for each play-style.

cdyhybrid

Archaeology makes me want to cry. Zin Rokh is by far the best item I'll be able to get on my main (DK) until they introduce new content/bump T11-quality items down to JP since I don't raid. It's making me want to switch mains to my Prot Pally =\

Flib

Dance In My Blood said:

Just watch the original trailer for WotLK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJMH-LrZ5w
Dude dies, dude comes back as Death Knight. Every major DK every besides Arthas has been undead. I don't know what else to tell you.The lore is very shaky and poorly written, but the dead serve(ed) the Lich King.
And what else does that video promise?

That's right

NEW DANCES

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there some kind of trick against those goblins in heroic ToT? I swear they can take our tank health from 100 to 10 in 2 secs if we dont do something like sending a hunter's pet first.

J-Rzez

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Not really - the playable class is completely different from the undead spellcaster type.

The spellcasters were created by Gul'dan, while the fierce melee warriors we know today were created by (and were former servants of) the Lich King.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Death_knight

Read the lore section.

That's kinda what I said then, going from casters to what they are today :p

Well, looks like we're down to Nef now. So far behind since people this time have been missing raids, and they're key players. But meh, we'll get to check it out.

Flib said:

That's right

NEW DANCES

/facepalm

Kyoufu

cdyhybrid said:
Archaeology makes me want to cry. Zin Rokh is by far the best item I'll be able to get on my main (DK) until they introduce new content/bump T11-quality items down to JP since I don't raid. It's making me want to switch mains to my Prot Pally =\

Win 5 games a week for 3 weeks. Epic weapon, grats.

I gave up on Zin'Rokh a while ago and just got the pvp axe weapon today.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
whoa, what. the end of Vash came out of nowhere.

we didn't kill the squid, there was no boss fight

time to queue for Throne of Tides I guess.

Bisnic said:
Is there some kind of trick against those goblins in heroic ToT? I swear they can take our tank health from 100 to 10 in 2 secs if we dont do something like sending a hunter's pet first.

- Pull then LOS the goblins behind a pillar.
- Pally bubble pull
- pet pull
- pull with tank cooldowns

LOS works best. Just watch where you are pointing the aquamancer mobs in those packs

Flib said:

That's right

NEW DANCES
The best thing Lord of the Rings online had was the ability to learn dances of other races. That owned. I want to do the female nightelf dance on my male bloodelf damnit!

So uh, switched guild tonight and raided. Went 4/6 in BWD 25 (no more due to time, and no BH because we didn't have it.)

Got the tank belt off Omnotron Council (which was a more minor upgrade, since I was using the DPS one from Hyjal reforged) and finally got enough VP to buy my chest. Gloves probably next on the list unless I get them or pants from Argaloth. Otherwise a ring?

Overall, pretty good day, though somewhat sad to leave some good people behind in my old guild, I'm happy to actually be raiding 25s again and doing something more than BH.

Twig

Banned
HarryHengst said:
The best thing Lord of the Rings online had was the ability to learn dances of other races. That owned. I want to do the female nightelf dance on my male bloodelf damnit!
I'm not sure if I love you or hate you for wanting that.

Brazil said:

About a year ago there was a big thread in which a lot of players said this, a good suggestion was to make abilities work different in pvp so it would not effect pve, GC replied and the answer is that the tool tips would be to big, that was his answer literally. I quit at that point.

I dont care if the tool tip took up half the screen, the game would be much more balanced and fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if the levelling is just super-quick or whether I'm just playing heaps more thanks to better zone design. I'm already level 83 and I just got into Deepholm.

Hixx

Rez said:
I'm not sure if the levelling is just super-quick or whether I'm just playing heaps more thanks to better zone design. I'm already level 83 and I just got into Deepholm.

80-83 is about 2-3 hours per level. It shoots up now though, 84-85 took me 8 hours.

Runus

Fragamemnon said:
- Pull then LOS the goblins behind a pillar.
- Pally bubble pull
- pet pull
- pull with tank cooldowns

LOS works best. Just watch where you are pointing the aquamancer mobs in those packs

I've also pulled them with my mage by running up and ice blocking.

No45

DeathNote said:
Here's a good list.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Heirloom

I spent about 10k power leveling enchanting recently. I thought I was going to be able to do the DE alch stone trick but I was hours too late. :lol Oh well, glad I have a high level enchanter.

Anyways. Here's some annoyances I had: At a certain point you need a primal might for the Runed Adamantite Rod. The mats are easy to farm but an alch has to transmute it. It doesn't trigger a cool down for them. A few alchs on my server sell them for 1.5k. A lot of other rods require a blacksmith to make one of required items. Some might try to scalp that on AH too. Luckily I have an alch and blacksmithing.

Other than that, DEing everything you get while leveling in Outlands and Cat should put a huge dent in required mats.

keeblerdrow said:
Good luck making money from this.

Melee 2H wants Crusader
Melee 1H wants Fiery
Caster 1H and 2H want +30 Spell Power (I think this drops in Molten Core, good luck)
Every class should want +100 health for chest.
Haven't thought about back slot heirlooms yet. +agility and +armor?

It's incredibly difficult to make any money on enchanting before max level. Leveling enchanting is also one of the biggest money sinks in the game.

Awesome, thanks folks. I'm not hell bent on making money with Enchanting while levelling, but I thought I might at least be able to recoup some of the costs by throwing the odd well placed vellum on to the AH. :)

I'm levelling it along with Tailoring on my Mage (currently 65) with both skill levels over 300. I haven't needed to buy too much in the way of cloth/dust - I think if I'd have levelled through questing I'd be fine but as I've instanced all the way the drops have been fewer.

I did spend ~200g last night on 4 x Golden Draenite for my magic carpet though. Felt dirty at around 400% market price. But it's a MAGICAL FLYING CARPET!

Dunlop

CarbonatedFalcon said:
So uh, switched guild tonight and raided. Went 4/6 in BWD 25 (no more due to time, and no BH because we didn't have it.)

Got the tank belt off Omnotron Council (which was a more minor upgrade, since I was using the DPS one from Hyjal reforged) and finally got enough VP to buy my chest. Gloves probably next on the list unless I get them or pants from Argaloth. Otherwise a ring?

Overall, pretty good day, though somewhat sad to leave some good people behind in my old guild, I'm happy to actually be raiding 25s again and doing something more than BH.

grats, after a great run last week (4 bosses) we had to cancel last night due to a couple of no shows. Which will force us to recruit and cause more people to have to sit out, such a momentum killer.

This is the problem with a smaller guild

Flib

Dunlop said:
grats, after a great run last week (4 bosses) we had to cancel last night due to a couple of no shows. Which will force us to recruit and cause more people to have to sit out, such a momentum killer.

This is the problem with a smaller guild

Doesn't help that recruiting is pretty tough right now.

No45 said:
Awesome, thanks folks. I'm not hell bent on making money with Enchanting while levelling, but I thought I might at least be able to recoup some of the costs by throwing the odd well placed vellum on to the AH. :)

I'm levelling it along with Tailoring on my Mage (currently 65) with both skill levels over 300. I haven't needed to buy too much in the way of cloth/dust - I think if I'd have levelled through questing I'd be fine but as I've instanced all the way the drops have been fewer.

I did spend ~200g last night on 4 x Golden Draenite for my magic carpet though. Felt dirty at around 400% market price. But it's a MAGICAL FLYING CARPET!

You should note that Crusader and Fiery are both drops, not trained (if you didn't know.) You can buy them off the AH, though the Crusader recipe is currently MIA in-game - no one is really sure where/if it is still dropping off something since Western and Eastern Plaguelands (where it dropped before) were redesigned.

And what's up with the price on the Golden Draenite? I just made a carpet the other day on my mage and I happened to have spares from leveling my warrior's JC awhile ago. You get tons of that stuff from prospecting Fel Iron and the like. I know it's used for the carpet, but I don't remember if there is some other hump in a profession that needs it.

Zaptruder

Banned
I figured out the secret to winning Battlegrounds as alliance.

YOU have to take command of the BG and shout orders at everyone.

If you do, it's not a guarantee, but you stand a much better chance of winning.

Shout in caps. spam is in lower letters.

and don't abuse the caps.

Went from losing 90% of BGs to winning 60% of them in a single day doing that.

Dunlop

Flib said:
Doesn't help that recruiting is pretty tough right now.

yup, which sucks even more. I am pretty much playing because of the people in the guild. I would probably call it quits before trying to find a new guild.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No45 said:
thanks to Frozen Orbs being dirt cheap (at least they were at the beginning of cata) I used that opportunity to make my frosty flying carpet (as well as magnificent). Note that you need master riding (300) to use either of those. still, as long as you have the 4K for master riding, costs on those two are dirt cheap, and both require tailoring to use so are a bit more exclusive (regular flying carpet is BOE and doesn't require tailoring)

Zaptruder said:
I figured out the secret to winning Battlegrounds as alliance.

YOU have to take command of the BG and shout orders at everyone.

If you do, it's not a guarantee, but you stand a much better chance of winning.

Shout in caps. spam is in lower letters.

and don't abuse the caps.

Went from losing 90% of BGs to winning 60% of them in a single day doing that.
you can remove "as alliance" from that first sentence. non-rated BGs are pretty much filled with individuals wanting to kill stuff, afk farm honor, or maybe seeing what they're about. Anyone who really enjoys BGs has moved onto Rated BGs. So basically this means exactly what you're saying.. regular BGs are filled with people who have no idea what to do and the first person to issue orders they'll follow blindly (for better or worse). Luckily the same is true for the other team. Winning an unrated BG usually comse down to which team has the better (or any) leader.

Bisnic

-PXG- said:
End game stuff sounds like a lot of fun. leveling blows :(

My friend who have characters lvl 30-60 hates how easy the game is at these ranges. Then he sees me wiping 2-3 times in heroics through that DBM addon automatic whispers on wipes and i think he have a hard time to believe a game can go from super easy to challenging like that. lol

You can stand in poison, you can ignore interrupting spells in a low lvl instance, but if you ignore interrupting that spell from a high lvl Cataclysm boss, say good bye to your green bar if you are not overgeared. I saw my warrior tank going from 100% health to 5% because he didnt interrupt the spell from the naga boss of heroic ToT.

No45

CarbonatedFalcon said:
You should note that Crusader and Fiery are both drops, not trained (if you didn't know.) You can buy them off the AH, though the Crusader recipe is currently MIA in-game - no one is really sure where/if it is still dropping off something since Western and Eastern Plaguelands (where it dropped before) were redesigned.

And what's up with the price on the Golden Draenite? I just made a carpet the other day on my mage and I happened to have spares from leveling my warrior's JC awhile ago. You get tons of that stuff from prospecting Fel Iron and the like. I know it's used for the carpet, but I don't remember if there is some other hump in a profession that needs it.
I actually have Fiery already (And Unholy/Lifestealing). Might spend a little time in EPL/WPL and see if I can get the Crusader drop - you never know!

Now sure on the Golden Draenite costs - doesn't seem to produce anything exciting. I was lazy if I'm honest, I probably could have flown my warrior around Nagrand a few times and gotten it from the Adamantite and Khorium veins.

Flib

Sebulon3k said:
Thinking of coming back to this after seeing the Sinestra World First, How's the raiding looking like?

I personally love the raids. Way more interesting and difficult than most of the stuff in Wrath.

scoobs

Sebulon3k said:
Thinking of coming back to this after seeing the Sinestra World First, How's the raiding looking like?
Challenging but fair. 25 mans are super fun. My guilds at 7/12 and I'm having a ton of fun (not to mention picking up amazing gear). Probably helps that I'm an unholy DK and i do a stupid amount of damage :)

charlequin said:
No, it still does, Tailoring 300. I'd buy one if it didn't.
I was just going to post this... I made mine last night with my tailor and I remember reading those reqs on it.

Anyway--do you guys think it's a "bad idea" to wear the cloth heirloom shoulders and chest on a druid and shaman who are leveling to 80?

Are the cloth armor values going to pose a problem to characters in their 60s and 70s?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SnakeswithLasers said:
I was just going to post this... I made mine last night with my tailor and I remember reading those reqs on it.

Anyway--do you guys think it's a "bad idea" to wear the cloth heirloom shoulders and chest on a druid and shaman who are leveling to 80?

Are the cloth armor values going to pose a problem to characters in their 60s and 70s?
while not optimal, if you aren't going to do melee EVER with either I don't see a big issue, aside from not being optimal. druid especially though, by 30(40?) you can dual spec to tank and heal which obviously won't work with cloth.

also guess I didn't realize the regular carpet required 300 tailoring because it was BOE. kind of weird to make it boe then given the essentially trivial nature of the mats for it.

Dunlop

borghe said:
also guess I didn't realize the regular carpet required 300 tailoring because it was BOE. kind of weird to make it boe then given the essentially trivial nature of the mats for it.

thsi is what makes 99% of the BOE items I made while leveling engineering worthless, they all have an engineering requirement

borghe said:
while not optimal, if you aren't going to do melee EVER with either I don't see a big issue, aside from not being optimal. druid especially though, by 30(40?) you can dual spec to tank and heal which obviously won't work with cloth.

I'm trying to think of a time when 4 arcane dust and a couple golden draenite were out of the reach of casuals......... Hmm. Very strange.

I was more planning to level through instance healing on both characters, so tanking shouldn't be much of an issue.

Bisnic

Wondering if there is some addon that turns off the sniffing sound worgens do when they're standing still? I HATE THAT SOUND.

You don't hear taurens mooing or any other races doing that kind of stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom