• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you over-estimate how complicated other DPS classes are. The basics of an assassination rotation is what you've listed. Keep SnD up, Rupture immediately when it falls off unless you have enough energy to mutilate and then immediately rupture, Envemon at 4+ combo points unless you're about to lose SnD in which case envenom early to renew. The difference between a good assassination rogue and a bad assassination rogue will be:

1) coordinating cooldowns for maximum possible dps.

You have 4 dps cooldowns in T12 gear (cold blood, vendetta, vanish(into garrote), ToT) before you include trinkets, consumables, or cooldowns from other classes like heroism. These aren't all on the same cooldown duration. You need to know what cooldowns you can afford to use early in the fight that will be up again before a burn phase or a cooldown like heroism/bloodlust is used, and what cooldowns you need to save. Basically, maximizing cooldown usage without missing windows where you could have stacked cooldowns for better damage.

2) maximizing attacks while the envenom buff is up

Pretty simply concept. You want to save as much energy as possible before you 4+ cp envenom, but not so much that you energy cap from relentless strikes. This will allow you to get extra mutilates in while envenom is up, which will lead to more poison procs.

That said, it's not that hard to maximize assassination dps on a target dummy. I don't think any class is, even something notoriously demanding like subtlety or feral cat dps. It gets hard to maximize everything when you're in an actual fight dealing with other mechanics that will impact the best time for cooldown usage, and potentially distract you. Assassination is less about staying on top of the GCD, and more about planning ahead for energy and cooldown usage.

I actually think rogues are one of the most engaging classes to play, because you also get a lot of defensive cooldowns to use and other things to do when you aren't GCD-locked.
I'm not really estimating; I'm more like comparing since I've got 8 85s, an 82 and an 80. It's that it doesn't seem like it's that much work to be a Muti Rogue and do your best DPS vs. those other classes because the model is more forgiving. Saying you have DPS cooldowns is not really a complexity of that class given that every other class has DPS cooldowns too. At least the difference as arcane is that if you fuck up your rotation or your evocate, you will do completely shit DPS for 2 minutes minimum.

Rokal

I don't think so. Boss models aren't very important in comparison to fight mechanics, and it seems like we're at least getting some interesting mechanics. I only read over the first 3 bosses, but already 2 of them are unlike anything in the game so far.

That really doesn't have much to do with pre-release hype though. The boss mechanics will be different, but what we've seen so far (unless you looked into dungeon journal from PTR) is just screenshots that really aren't very exciting given how much has been recycled.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That really doesn't have much to do with pre-release hype though. The boss mechanics will be different, but what we've seen so far (unless you looked into dungeon journal from PTR) is just screenshots that really aren't very exciting given how much has been recycled.

What's weird is how easy a lot of it was, last time I looked.

Alex

You need to scroll down to see them? I dont, still itd be nice to see the gamut of the page without the nonsense. Nothing meaningful has ever been said in a youtube comment, ever.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Channel Comments (8896) is cut off on my 22" monitor in 1680x1050.

On the direct link page I can see three comments, but I filter that and all the related videos out.

I have 360p--->HD + full screen tunnel vision on everything.

Alex

Haha, i wish I did, even if mine did cut off my morbid curiosity would likely get me in the end

Ill probably fiddle with this for awhile then do the free period of TOR then just wait for Pandaria. I really, really want a monk so i def feel like ill be wasting effort getting chars up to speed, esp since the ones id want to play are ones i made before stopping around 4.2

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't think I'll be able to raid with my full time 3rd shift job.

I'll probably slowly level up the other 4 classes I don't have 85's in, do random BG's, LFR on multiple characters until MOP.

Hopefully get into a few real raids.

Getting tier and pvp sets on everything would be nice.

It's going to be really nice that all random BG wins grant some conquest up to the cap.

Zhaanie

Banned
The SWOTR beta made want to resub to WoW, amazingly. :p

Am I correct in assuming it's pointless to farm FL gear once 4.3 hits?

The SWOTR beta made want to resub to WoW, amazingly. :p

Am I correct in assuming it's pointless to farm FL gear once 4.3 hits?

Yes.

the 3 new 5mans drop 378 ilvl gear, the same as normal Firelands (except Rag, which drops 384 on normal)

Get some heroic gear, and start doing Dragonsoul.

Zhaanie

Banned
Oh wow, I was expecting 365 drops at best. I'll still check out Firelands though, apparently you can get some really nice mounts there :3

Also; for those of you playing Resto Shaman, what's the current state of the class/spec? Last I checked, they weren't exactly desirable in heroic raid content. ><

Alex

Argh I am so confused as to what I should play. I feel like I have more freedom to pick now since I'm not as reliant on raiding guilds or arena teams to eek by.

Alex

With the way they do content I'm always a little harder to excite with late expansion patches (and gear resets and laddering have become so methodical it's spilling over into most patches), but I do wanna goof with transmog and raid finder. Wish there was some Pvp content this go around though. Pvp needs a new coat of paint in pandaria, too, like the new types of Pve

If I had one want, a reasonable one, for wow it'd be to not have every major patch be a new raid, etc, but to cycle around and create new types of content in various areas. Meaningful patches were few this expansion, though

With the way they do content I'm always a little harder to excite with late expansion patches (and gear resets and laddering have become so methodical it's spilling over into most patches), but I do wanna goof with transmog and raid finder. Wish there was some Pvp content this go around though. Pvp needs a new coat of paint in pandaria, too, like the new types of Pve

Well we didn't get any new BGs or Arenas in the patch cycle of Cataclysm. It was all front-loaded with Tol Barad (lol) and 2 new BGs at the start (and a real shame that you only see them at a high level - Twin Peaks is miles better than WSG to me.)

There were no new Arenas, and we actually had fewer Arenas than Wrath for awhile as that one with the elevators (can't remember the name) was taken out for a time.

Doesn't help that even the new BGs were exactly the same as WSG and AB, just with different terrain. They didn't introduce any new mechanics. As horribly broken as it is, at least Strand was different.

And I kind of like IoC, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it much outside of when it was first on the PTR.

The concepts for new BGs in Mists presented at Blizzcon did seem interesting enough, especially the "Oddball" type, which would definitely be new to WoW. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't ever implemented just a straight deathmatch map without other winning conditions. Just give me some dynamic terrain, a few powerups (some new ones besides healing, damage, and speed please!), and 75-150 or so reinforcements for a 10v10 battle and I'd be happy.

I just hope whatever they do, that they don't frontload it.

If you think Rogues are too easy in PvE, you're doin it wrong. Depending on your talents, you should probably be constantly juggling envenom, rupture, and recupe. Not to mention watching for interrupts, backstabs <35%, popping vanish whenever you can to activate overkill, and keeping ToTT up after every CD.

Granted you can get by with just keeping S&D up, but there is absolutely no reason to have an easy/boring rotation.

Well, yeah, you have the occasional cooldown -> Vanish -> Vendetta -> Garrote, but the absolute core of of rotation is keeping S&D up, which shouldn't be an issue since it refreshes after every Envenom, and keeping as close to a 100% uptime on rupture as possible.

Coordinating Vendetta and Vanish to use at 35% is pretty cake.

Throw ToTT on to a hotkey and pressing it every 30 seconds wasn't much of an issue. As Assassination, I never ran recuperate while raiding, so I didn't worry about that.

Subtlety on the other hand is just stupid difficult to even be worth the effort for PvE.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thank you.

I have an alt that's still sporting 312 items and lich king trinkets haha. I guess I'll have to hit the AH, since there's no way I'm doing release date HCs again.
Waste of gold.

You can do the older heroics for justice points to buy the 378 gear the was 4.2 valor.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You would think the trailer would have a bit more effort put into it... i mean, even patch 4.1 that only had two 5 mans had a better one.

Oh well, its not like trailers matter.

Well we didn't get any new BGs or Arenas in the patch cycle of Cataclysm. It was all front-loaded with Tol Barad (lol) and 2 new BGs at the start (and a real shame that you only see them at a high level - Twin Peaks is miles better than WSG to me.)

There were no new Arenas, and we actually had fewer Arenas than Wrath for awhile as that one with the elevators (can't remember the name) was taken out for a time.

Doesn't help that even the new BGs were exactly the same as WSG and AB, just with different terrain. They didn't introduce any new mechanics. As horribly broken as it is, at least Strand was different.

And I kind of like IoC, but I haven't had the opportunity to play it much outside of when it was first on the PTR.

The concepts for new BGs in Mists presented at Blizzcon did seem interesting enough, especially the "Oddball" type, which would definitely be new to WoW. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't ever implemented just a straight deathmatch map without other winning conditions. Just give me some dynamic terrain, a few powerups (some new ones besides healing, damage, and speed please!), and 75-150 or so reinforcements for a 10v10 battle and I'd be happy.

I just hope whatever they do, that they don't frontload it.

Hopefully if they decide to implement another area like lol barad or wintergrasp they don't fuck it up so bad this time.

The only thing i kinda want besides what you mentioned is some encouragement for world pvp (that used to be one of my favourite parts of the game). Maybe some world events for people to get involved in. I understand why this isn't happening and why it may never happen but i can dream.

Beyond that i just hope to see at least a little more effort to balance pvp in the future. Some classes only require some minimal changes to be more balanced. It's kinda frustrating as an enhance shaman to be held back by stupid things like the searing totem.

I don't really mind too much though, i only really play for fun in BG's and i seem to do pretty well overall.

YakiSOBA

When 4.3 comes online, i will have 4000/4000 JP stocked up and something like 2000 honor I can convert to more JP (325honor = 250JP).

I currently have only T12 shoulders and gloves, would it be a waste to go and buy T12 chest and pants (4400 JP total, which I have stocked up) right away? There's nothing else I can do with this JP anyway right?

Should I use honor and buy ruthless gladiator PVP s10 instead? (edit: or i think it's better to save honor for S11 non-ruthless items right?)

Thanks!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Oh wow, I was expecting 365 drops at best. I'll still check out Firelands though, apparently you can get some really nice mounts there :3

Also; for those of you playing Resto Shaman, what's the current state of the class/spec? Last I checked, they weren't exactly desirable in heroic raid content. ><

The problem is that they're reliant on the group being grouped up for raid-wide damage. If the raid has to be spread out a lot for damage than a Resto Shaman can't effectively use CH and HR.

However, to make us more desirable, especially as tank healers is that they changed Ancestral Healing. On top of healing crits giving the damage reduction buff, it now also causes the shaman's heals to increase the target's maximum health by 5/10% of the amount healed, up to a maximum of 10% of the target's maximum health, for 15 seconds.

Xtyle

Funny how it works.
just resubbed for a month last night. Ran BT. Main hand glaive dropped. 1 rogue rolled 96, another rolled in the 40s, I rolled 98. Woot. Glaive get (so wish legendaries can be transmogged in the future). This is my second time in BT too. My first time there 2 months ago I got the bulwark (I was also subbing for a month).

as a tank, in 4.3 is it still worth grinding FL trash to honor rep for the few tank gears?

mileS

Wait I thought the ilevel for DS Looking for raid was 372? Thats what I read on MMO-champion last night. Also they said you don't get locked out of normal DS if you do the LFR? Did they change that?

Miletius

Wait I thought the ilevel for DS Looking for raid was 372? Thats what I read on MMO-champion last night. Also they said you don't get locked out of normal DS if you do the LFR? Did they change that?

LFR DS does not lock you out of any regular or heroic DS raids for the week.

TheYanger

Well, yeah, you have the occasional cooldown -> Vanish -> Vendetta -> Garrote, but the absolute core of of rotation is keeping S&D up, which shouldn't be an issue since it refreshes after every Envenom, and keeping as close to a 100% uptime on rupture as possible.

Coordinating Vendetta and Vanish to use at 35% is pretty cake.

Throw ToTT on to a hotkey and pressing it every 30 seconds wasn't much of an issue. As Assassination, I never ran recuperate while raiding, so I didn't worry about that.

Subtlety on the other hand is just stupid difficult to even be worth the effort for PvE.

idk, I think this argument is silly. My main used to be a rogue, and I still play it on occasion, I think it's harder now than it ever used to be, managing cooldowns is not for the weak of heart on any class and is generally the only difficult aspect of every dps spec in the game. Even subtlety is only difficult because of the clunky cds that it has. I'm sure some specs are more complex than others (Destro...) but at the end of the day, cd management is always what seperates good players from average ones, and EVERY dps class has room for a strong player to excel. If there were any specs as easy as people are trying to pretend mutilate is, then people would be much more successful at wow, the simple truth is it's selling the game short to act like it's JUST 'keep snd up and rupture up and hit mutilate and evenom' when it's far more nuanced than that to actually put out the kind of dps you should be. I play one of the most 'faceroll' specs in the game right now (Frost dk) and I still always crush the competition because I put forth the effort required to really min/max what I'm doing, and I still make mistakes, and it takes a lot of fucking focus, just like playing a rogue well, or a kitty well, or any other class well (Yes, even arcane mages).

Ryaaan14

Banned
V2Jmo.jpg

Ryaaan14

Banned
Now we post screenies of our transmog gear :_D

I'm gonna stick with the Assassination dungeon set, with Ceremonial Warmaul Blood-Blades (love how I can dual wield these now, and the weapon effect overrides my enchants ^_^)

toxicum.png

Game refuses to load into the world with me if I check load out of date addons. The bar will progress a bit fairly rapidly, and then just stop for much longer than usual. After which I force quit. So I don't know if there's an issue with specific addon(s) for now, or if it's a general issue. Really kind of killing me as it disables about half my stuff.

Otherwise picked up new JC recipes and that's about it so far. Alchemy transmutes for epic gems are nowhere to be found, so they're likely raid drops, but could be world drops. Hell, they could have not been enabled at all for all. Even wowhead doesn't know.

Kaper

Man, the dungeons are just like an interactive story, not really a dungeon at all. They basically feel exactly like the ICC dungeons. The first thing to trigger this was the exact same npcs as in Halls of Reflection when we were clearing to Jaina. The boss fights feel really lame, even going into them 100% blind to try and spice it up. Tyrande was the only one that felt right. Murozond was neat too, the hourglass was fun to use. Queen Azshara was the biggest letdown.

Mairu

Man, the dungeons are just like an interactive story, not really a dungeon at all. They basically feel exactly like the ICC dungeons. The first thing to trigger this was the exact same npcs as in Halls of Reflection when we were clearing to Jaina. The boss fights feel really lame, even going into them 100% blind to try and spice it up. Tyrande was the only one that felt right. Murozond was neat too, the hourglass was fun to use. Queen Azshara was the biggest letdown.

It's going to be dreadful running these instances after the second or third time.

SUPARSTARX

This is one of the best patches in a very long time.

Did the new 5 mans on heroic, survived with no wipes thanks to clutch Divine Hymn (they buffed it this patch) usage.

The instances are well scripted, but I think there was a bug on loot here and there off a boss: Murzod or whatever that dragon boss is didn't drop us any loot.

There's almost immediate upgrades for you that rival Firelands ilvl stuff, but they are not optimized in stat allocation. It's good if you haven't played much in a while/ haven't raided/ been very unlucky with drops in Firelands.

I'm pretty happy I can get rid of a lot of ugly looking armors in favor of older stuff, I have a cache of old Tier 2,3,4,5,6 across my account on the same server and it's pretty refreshing to just swap them out. It's pretty costly so expect a big gold dump if you want to rock some shiny stuff.

Good patch is good.

Going to try out the new raid later tonight.

It's going to be dreadful running these instances after the second or third time.
Yeah somewhat. I'm going to run through these on my alts later throughout the week.

Rokam

This is one of the best patches in a very long time.

Did the new 5 mans on heroic, survived with no wipes thanks to clutch Divine Hymn (they buffed it this patch) usage.

The instances are well scripted, but I think there was a bug on loot here and there off a boss: Murzod or whatever that dragon boss is didn't drop us any loot.

There's a chest that spawns, or do you mean that contained no loot?

Top Bottom