• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

idlewild_

Maybe I'm just getting weird numbers, but it really seems like the Bone-Link Fetish trinket does way too much damage. I have the cheapy LFR version and it still did 6.0% of my DPS off of its proc alone. On a AoE pack it was like 16%.

not sure about the str one, but the agi one is scaling 1:1 with ap with a 25-30s cd, so the proc alone is 1-2k dps, blows away the heroic T12 ones.

Miletius

The new trinkets, even the LFR version are amazing. That's gotta be #1 on almost everybody's wish list.

Trounced through the new 5 mans in a guild group yesterday. Did LFR in a (almost) full guild group. The one guy who got added was probably like WTF. We are planning our first normal DS raid for tonight.

Settled on the Gladiator's Fel/Dreadweave Robe for Transmog after getting the helm to drop in Kara (finally). There were too many people running around in T6 on Area 52.

daedalius

No changes to engineering this patch? You shitting me? Blizzard really hates engineering. =\

Wow really? They haven't updated eng in forever.

New dungeons sound kinda meh. Still might resub for a month to push through 'em tho, and dragon soul on the raid finder since apparently its a joke.

I found out some fun bullshit with transmogging. I tried to apply the Imperial Set (awesome) to my entire leveling outfit on a warrior. Transmog costs are always the vendor price plus 1 gold, so heirlooms are typically 1 gold because they sell for nothing... Except the helm and cloak. Those vendor for 375 gold. So it costs 376 gold to apply a transmog to either of them, which seems a bit steep. A bit steep, indeed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow really? They haven't updated eng in forever.

New dungeons sound kinda meh. Still might resub for a month to push through 'em tho, and dragon soul on the raid finder since apparently its a joke.

Dungeons are interesting though when you get pugs that are dumb enough to run through the group of 20 demons elites in Well of Eternity before Illidan throw his smoke wall.

Rokam

Dungeons are interesting though when you get pugs that are dumb enough to run through the group of 20 demons elites in Well of Eternity before Illidan throw his smoke wall.

Had Tyrande as one of the bosses last night, mage, rogue, warrior tank, all had 0 interrupts and they wondered why we wiped.

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

CmBb0.jpg

Alex

Oh god why did I uninstall, my UI, my bindings. This takes longer than the actual game and I've cut down on my addons! Really wish this game had less skills some times, or more combinations, at least. So much overlap.

Magnus

I can't properly express my delight at the quality of life improvements in Cataclysm in general.

Speedier, more enjoyable levelling. More bank space. Transmogrification (man, I can look awesome ALL THE TIME now). Sexy HUD alerts (they really do change how you play, and just plain WORK instead of having to fiddle with addons forever -- I play with few addons, and even use Blizzard's plain old bar system, lol).

I love it.

Despite that all, I stopped playing for most of the year, but came back in November with a fury (even in a casual, non-hardcore raiding sense). I just love being in the 'world' again.

I love that I discovered I can generally adequately heal the new heroics as well, despite my bizarre mish-mash of gear (a couple of heroic blues left over from January when I quit, some epics from a bunch of 4.1/4.2 runs I tagged along on, and pieces of a shadow epic set I began building slowly). I miss healing in general, strangely, and feel like I can actually do it again.

Gotta try out LFR later this week.

I appreciate the initiative behind it, even if it's either too easy or has some issues to work out. The bottom line is that those of us who can't dedicate time to hardcore raiding any longer can still see end-game raid content (and for someone like who cares about story, visuals, music, design and the general spectacle more than anything, I get to experience all that, and I deserve to after all the fucking years I've put into this game as a raider, haha).

I dig that newcomers can see what a raid is like now, and experience the rush of a 25-man event, and maybe if they want better gear and more complexity, those that desire more can pursue the 'real' normal raids. This is good for everyone.

I'll post again this evening with a shot of my sexy-looking priest. I'm so happy I held onto all this gear over the years, lol.

Did some LFR last night after our normal raid. It's pretty funny... people pulling extra trash or bosses on purpose just to grief, randoms begging for battle rezzes. We killed two bosses while almost completely ignoring fight mechanics. Will be interesting to see how it works once everyone knows what they're doing.

PatzCU

I ran through all the new 5-mans last night with the same PUG. I've gotta say, they are pretty disappointing for the most part. It just felt like I was having my hand held while I walked down a few short, linear hallways where I would then be spoon-fed bosses. Where is the challenge in this? I think I've been spoiled by the Cata Troll 5-mans which were absolutely fantastic. Those were very challenging, not entirely linear, and almost offered a sense of being in a 5-man raid. I felt like I had earned the gear from those instances.

These new ones are just a snooze-fest requiring no real challenge or thinking. I was running these as a Holy Pal with mostly ilvl 358 gear. I'm going to give the LFR tool a go later this week when I get some spare time. Actually really excited about that feature as I don't play regularly enough to raid with a guild, but would still love to see the content and feel like I'm a part of raid progression.

Otherwise, it's back to the old RBG/Arena grindstone for me.

daedalius

I ran through all the new 5-mans last night with the same PUG. I've gotta say, they are pretty disappointing for the most part. It just felt like I was having my hand held while I walked down a few short, linear hallways where I would then be spoon-fed bosses. Where is the challenge in this? I think I've been spoiled by the Cata Troll 5-mans which were absolutely fantastic. Those were very challenging, not entirely linear, and almost offered a sense of being in a 5-man raid. I felt like I had earned the gear from those instances.

These new ones are just a snooze-fest requiring no real challenge or thinking. I was running these as a Holy Pal with mostly ilvl 358 gear. I'm going to give the LFR tool a go later this week when I get some spare time. Actually really excited about that feature as I don't play regularly enough to raid with a guild, but would still love to see the content and feel like I'm a part of raid progression.

This isn't making me want to re-sub, heh.

There's a glitch right now with the dungeon Hour of Twilight. Happened last night and it happened again right now.

Wait for Thrall to meet up and enter the building at the end. If the whole party goes ahead of him, he'll disappear and the dungeon can't finish.

Last night the GM only told us to reque the dungeon but come on, we were right at the end.

Alex

End Time was really lousy, but Well of Eternity had nice presentation and a few neat bits, but yeah, its all very simple. I think the best dungeon of the expansion was probably the remade ZG.

Havent tried the last one.

Still, dunno why they make dungeons like this, they themselves know they need to eek for replay value, so they toss in dungeons that are a couple of set pieces and mostly dialogue and event scenes? Goofy. I'll probably get sick of em pretty quick. Especially since I can't even say what's going on in the story, it's doing especially little for me, more dragons, demons and deities. There's absolutely no ground anymore.

Some really oddball voice work too. I like Illidans extremely cheesy accent but Tyrande sounds like a troll to me, the fuck is up with that? It's horrible.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

You were just lucky to get a good PUG who knew what to do. I had to wipe 4 or 5 times on Azshara yesterday because people were not interrupting her big CC or saving the other members from the puppet hands and we were overwhelmed by 5-6 mages.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The trinkets are just absurdly good, the LFR versions have lower numbers but the procs are basically OP in the first place. 6% sounds too high (In my experience those trinkets should average out to ~3% of your total dps) but it could just be because of gear or whatever, who knows.

The character in question is an Unholy DK at an equipped ilvl of ~376 last I saw. I was checking its effect repeatedly and overall it was around 5-6% on every fight.

For all the hemming and hawing on the part of the player community, I think Blizzard really hit something with LFR. It's not perfect yet, but good god, the amount of time you can spent non-fruitlessly on alts just went up substantially. I will however, look back and see how I feel 10 weeks from now when it's just a faceroll to make it through Dragon Soul.

Interfectum

This transmorph stuff has really fucked up my perception of WoW. On one hand it's cool as shit to make your character look how you want... but on the other hand I can't help but feel the whole quest for gear has been completely destroyed in the process (for me). Even if the gear was ugly, I would grind for it in PvP / 5mans just to equip it and have it. But now that looks don't really matter you are basically just grinding for minimal stat boosts.

I mean... it pretty much destroys the idea of even getting gear in the first place. It's going to boil down to grinding for a "stat certificate" that you can equip with a skin of your choice. I loved the idea in theory but now that I see it everywhere it's kinda weird. I have literally no incentive to go for anymore gear until MOP.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This transmorph stuff has really fucked up my perception of WoW. On one hand it's cool as shit to make your character look how you want... but on the other hand I can't help but feel the whole quest for gear has been completely destroyed in the process (for me). Even if the gear was ugly, I would grind for it in PvP / 5mans just to equip it and have it. But now that looks don't really matter you are basically just grinding for minimal stat boosts.

I mean... it pretty much destroys the idea of even getting gear in the first place. It's going to boil down to grinding for a "stat certificate" that you can equip with a skin of your choice. I loved the idea in theory but now that I see it everywhere it's kinda weird. I have literally no incentive to go for anymore gear until MOP.

Yeah, I know some people say "Why would I not want to show off the hot gear I just got"

Really? I mean from my perspective, it seems to just add another dimension to the endgame. Sure you can keep transmog'ing everything you own to the same one set of armor you like, but that gets boring. It seems much more likely that it's a mechanic to induce players to start raiding old content for gear they wouldn't ever wear normally so they can get their new gear to look different. I always thought it was a mechanism introduced for the collectors, which if you look at how other mechanisms like achievements have been received, is definitely a target demographic.

I mean hell, from my perspective, I totally plan to do some old school raids, and for the first time in my entire time playing wow I actually want to go to darkmoon faire to try and get those replica armors.

Alex

I dont see how anyone could at all feel any remorse for missing the old gear system, you can wear whatever you want now, wear the new stuff if you want that feeling.

I have a hard time mourning a system that presents you with one set of armor per six months and requires you to look like a clown until completing it.... for a week then you get to look like an idiot again when you pick up your first heroic piece.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you can clearly see the impact of everyone whining about how hard Cata Heroics were with the new ones, They so.. easy!

Yeah, because it totally makes sense to design heroics around 378 gear, despite the fact that the previous tier of 5 man heroics had a max of 353. Why do you think it's easy?

Rokal

Yeah, because it totally makes sense to design heroics around 378 gear, despite the fact that the previous tier of 5 man heroics had a max of 353. Why do you think it's easy?

They're extremely easy in 353 gear as well. In fact, I'd say that ZG/ZA are still harder (assuming you're using the same gear for each).

Angry Grimace

They're extremely easy in 353 gear as well. In fact, I'd say that ZG/ZA are still harder (assuming you're using the same gear for each).
I'm a bit skeptical you've actually done them in 353 gear as opposed to just speculating that they're probably easy at that gear level.

If you were a good player and had a good group of players, the Cataclysm heroics were all easy at all times. They're 5 mans that you randomly group with people for, not Heroic Ragnaros.

Rokal

I'm a bit skeptical you've actually done them in 353 gear as opposed to just speculating that they're probably easy at that gear level.

If you were a good player and had a good group of players, the Cataclysm heroics were all easy at all times; even the ICC-5 mans including HoR wasn't "hard" if people knew what they were doing. I never got my gear level on my Paladin over 232~ and pretty much sleepwalked through those.

I have. I tanked the dungeons on my bear druid alt linked here. My guild mates that came with me were on alts with similar gear. Nobody really had anything past 359 (outside of freebies like the Thrall quest cloak).

Angry Grimace

I have. I tanked the dungeons on my bear druid alt linked here. My guild mates that came with me were on alts with similar gear. Nobody really had anything past 359 (outside of freebies like the Thrall quest cloak).

You've only got like three items that are 353 but that's kinda beside the main issue: it's designed for dudes who run randoms with people they don't know in shitty gear. Everyone would get pissed off if it was Halls of Reflection because when you got HoR in the queue everyone would just leave.

Rokal

You have three items that are 353. I'm just saying; it's designed for dudes who run randoms with shitty gear. Everyone would get pissed off if it was Halls of Reflection because when you got HoR in the queue everyone would just leave.

Still, with the gear I have now, ZA/ZG are harder on this character. That says something unfortunate about the new 5-mans. I might overgear the intended ilvl for the new 5-mans, but I definitely overgear the intended ilvl for ZA/ZG (346).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

If you were a good player and had a good group of players, the Cataclysm heroics were all easy at all times. They're 5 mans that you randomly group with people for, not Heroic Ragnaros.

I did them with the 353 item level debuff on the PTR and they were still easy as hell.

You forgot that you apparently cant transmog lvl 60 PVP gear unless you have the feat of strength that prove you did it back in the day...or something like that i think i saw yesterday from a blue post.

Well that just fucking blows. That's probably my favourite gear and i was going to finish raising my pally just to wear it.

Well that just fucking blows. That's probably my favourite gear and i was going to finish raising my pally just to wear it.

Is nothing sacred? I think it's nice that there will at least be ONE thing in the game that rewards old players for participating in a hard system.

I can see how it's disappointing that there's NO WAY to achieve this at all unless you already did it, but if it was as simple as dropping 750 JP like the Season 1 / 2 / 3 gear is then I'd be a little sad.

I was so disappointed that they handed that gladiator gear out that wasn't even available in the game last week. I was proud of hanging onto it, and now it seems like I didn't need to bother.

Angry Grimace

Also, the armory has been updated to show where some of the new mounts are at; Ultraxion has Experiment 12-B as a rare drop.

Turns out it's just a boring purple drake. Should put that chinese dragon on it. That one is called Heart of the Aspects. No clue where it comes from, although if I had to guess it would be from the Fangs quest, but that's just a will mass guess.
Is nothing sacred? I think it's nice that there will at least be ONE thing in the game that rewards old players for participating in a hard system.

I can see how it's disappointing that there's NO WAY to achieve this at all unless you already did it, but if it was as simple as dropping 750 JP like the Season 1 / 2 / 3 gear is then I'd be a little sad.

I was so disappointed that they handed that gladiator gear out that wasn't even available in the game last week. I was proud of hanging onto it, and now it seems like I didn't need to bother.
I don't think that's really why they're doing that; I think I read it's because they don't know how to remove the transmogrification if you faction transfer and don't want Horde characters wearing it. But maybe they really care for some random reason.

They killed the old honor system dead when they overwrote the classic PVP titles with RBG ones. It's a bit crazy for them to try to pretend it still exists now.

Angry Grimace

The trinkets are just absurdly good, the LFR versions have lower numbers but the procs are basically OP in the first place. 6% sounds too high (In my experience those trinkets should average out to ~3% of your total dps) but it could just be because of gear or whatever, who knows.

The proc scales entirely with attack power, so I think they're just set really high; the agility one procs an attack which does significantly more than the STR one, too.

So the ending cinematic posted on MMOChamp...

Meh.

Cataclysm definitely had a weaker story than either BC or WotLK. I'd give Vanilla more of a pass for being the base game, but even that was somewhat more interesting, with lots of new story threads and many that created some mystery and intrigue and were untapped for awhile (or are still untapped.)

I definitely think that qualitatively (mechanics and story, though especially the latter), Cataclysm was the weakest expansion yet. Both BC and Wrath had flaws, yes, but Cataclysm has had a much greater proportion of flaws to successes (at least in my eyes.)

Number45

Man, the patch locked me out of queuing for normal Cata instances (did Blackrock Caverns and Throne Of The Tides on Tuesday, last night it wouldn't let me). Was hoping to use it to build up some JP (to flesh out my heirlooms) before hitting 85. :(

Best comment on Youtube so far regarding the ending:

I used to be a Dragon aspect...........then i took an arrow on the knee

So glad I stopped paying for this... what a stupid ending. I thought the end to WoTLK was bad with the whole "there must always be [dramatic thunder and pause for effect] a Lich King" deal. But this... is worse.

lordmrw

My bad luck with drops is almost comical at this point. 7 dungeon runs, the first 4 bosses in Dragon Soul and not one single leather drop, weapon, or trinket I can use. Not a damn one. Even the dungeon quests don't have any rewards I can use. Not that I'm raging but holy shit its unreal.

My bad luck with drops is almost comical at this point. 7 dungeon runs, the first 4 bosses in Dragon Soul and not one single leather drop, weapon, or trinket I can use. Not a damn one. Even the dungeon quests don't have any rewards I can use. Not that I'm raging but holy shit its unreal.

I used to love it when I got loads of stuff I needed in one run but then it kind of killed my desire to run it again as there wasnt much point. Atleats not getting anything gives you a reason (although crappy one) to run it again and again!

Might jump back into WoW when I sort out a decent laptop in the newyear but it drives me nuts having to start from scratch and lose all those achivements and such, making them account wide would do wonders for me, as sad as that is.

TGMIII

Man, the patch locked me out of queuing for normal Cata instances (did Blackrock Caverns and Throne Of The Tides on Tuesday, last night it wouldn't let me). Was hoping to use it to build up some JP (to flesh out my heirlooms) before hitting 85. :(

Darkmoon faire starts on Saturday for one week and you'll be able to use tokens from games to buy the looms. It looks like it'll be easier to get them from this system but I'm not 100% sure.

Top Bottom