• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Sykotik

The shoulders are actually the Wrathful Glad shoulders from Lich King. The rest is just assorted pvp and tier from LK, as well. Cloak is from Hyjal trash.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can we really only get 5 tickets a day with the Darkmoon Faire? Seems ridiculously low considering the price of all the stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
Can we really only get 5 tickets a day with the Darkmoon Faire? Seems ridiculously low considering the price of all the stuff.

From the games I believe so, you still have all the profession quests and the various one-offs you can find in the world. But I think they're limiting it so you can get maybe one item per month.

Entropia

No One Remembers
From the games I believe so, you still have all the profession quests and the various one-offs you can find in the world. But I think they're limiting it so you can get maybe one item per month.

Seems incredibly limiting. Should be able to earn as many as you want in the week. ;\

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Yup, soon as I found out they actually thought I should do hundreds of dailies I just laughed off the DMF entirely

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Figured that i should show my transmo gear for my 2 main characters since everyone did it. :p

Yeah, not very original with using lvl 70 PVP gear, but i think they look cool, and hey at least the weapons werent bought with honor points. :p Kinda wish they would upgrade the resolution of BC gear though...

ba0fA.jpg
ykR8A.jpg

Any guesses as to how far people will get in progression next week?

I guess I expect 5-6/8 for the top 200ish guilds. Not sure if the top 2-3 will full clear or not.

The shoulders are actually the Wrathful Glad shoulders from Lich King. The rest is just assorted pvp and tier from LK, as well. Cloak is from Hyjal trash.

I wasn't sure about the shoulders. I never did Arena in Wrath. Honestly, I'm not sure where/when I've racked up the most PvP hours. Suppose I could check some of my statistics.

Speaking of which - cross-realm RealID Arena Teams...WANT.

I need to log on, but I've been playing a bunch of Skyrim, and Dark Souls is sitting there, tempting me as well. Really though, I've done a bunch of reading in the past week, rather than gaming.

Alex

I plowed through what was avalible of Dragon Soul on the raid finder, kind of lame how every last thing in here is recycled. Last boss had mechanics I liked though, would probably be a good time on real difficulty modes but I'll never do scheduled raiding again

Rokal

We had a couple composition problems this week (one of our main tanks unavailable, one of our better healers without power), but we're 5/8 on 10m normal. Mor'chok we one-shot, but everything else took ~3 attempts. We only put 3 attempts into Blackhorn, but people were dying to shockwave in P2.

It's hard to judge the balance of these fights given that we all have a decent amount of H FL gear. Yor'sahj and Zon'ozz might have felt pretty demanding on healers in flat 378 gear. Mor'chok and Hagara would have been chumps even with bad gear. Ultraxion I'm not sure we'd have been able to do without H FL gear, though I think the fight would have been easier with an extra dps instead of a third healer.

The raid zone overall is disappointing. It's a boss gauntlet through boring re-hashed areas. The tuning of the bosses probably would have felt much better if there were more bosses in the zone so that things could have ramped up appropriately after the first 4.

I'm curious to see how the tuning of the heroics is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I'm off to Mal'Ganis.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any guesses as to how far people will get in progression next week?

I guess I expect 5-6/8 for the top 200ish guilds. Not sure if the top 2-3 will full clear or not.

Most of those pro guilds get up to the second half almost immediately, but you have to remember it's not just the difficulty, but the fact that they've already run those encounters on PTR since they test heroics up to the end.

I read a interesting post on this whole World First thing from one of those people from Paragon; they basically just said it's a series of exploits to do virtually anything involved in competition, which explained a lot of that LFR exploiting stuff too:

Yeah, we exploited. We weighted risks of getting loot removed and 1/3 day ban vs what we have to lose.

First some history on exploits:
No loot was removed from Stars' early heroic start on Firelands nor Envy's (and probably some other guilds') faction changes for more lockouts during Firelands normal week.
Blizzard's incredible passiveness when it comes to punishing bug exploiters. No one was punished for clear exploit strats on Magmaw and Atramedes heroics. No one even noticed our small exploits on Ascendant Council and Sinestra. Nothing even said about mass res bug that made corpse runs atleast 50% faster. Double aspects, tanks not getting hit by Halfus' drakes, Cho'galls adds not aggroing, motw scroll resists stacking with everything and a dozen other bugs I'm forgetting just in the first tier alone. If you want to go further back you might remember 15 extra soulstones and permastunned Anub adds, no punishments.

This stuff happens all the time. Maybe not on a scale like LFR but our guild is probably one of the biggest exploiters this game has ever had. And what has Blizzard done? Absolutely nothing.

So on Thursday we had seen this LFR stuff was still going on for the 3rd day. Every single notable guild, except maybe vodka, was doing it before us (and no, it's not an excuse, just stating the situation). So we thought about it and decided to just go for it. Because what could Blizzard do?

Their solutions:
They remove all LFR gear from exploiters - Same for every top guild, all guilds will be equal
They ban us for a few days - Same for every top guild, all guilds will be equal
They perma ban exploiters - Everyone would get banned. Even if we didn't exploit, there would be no one to play against -> no reason to even play the game. Banned or competition banned -> no point in playing in my opinion. Most of our guild only plays this game because they want to be the best on the 1 or 2 bosses that are hard on each raid instance. If most of the top 10 gets banned there will hardly be any competition left so we might as well quit.

But what if, by some chance, they do nothing like so many times before. We would be in a massive disadvantage. Would that be worth the risk? We decided no.

This is why we did what we did.

Miletius

I think the top guilds will probably be 5-6 H minimum, with the 2 Heroic Deathwing fights being the barrier.

Re: Exploiting. I honestly don 't think Blizzard gives a real care about situations where the top guilds in the world are doing whatever they can (in some cases breaking the rules) to get ahead. These guys will do whatever it takes to be first and it's just not realistic to punish them for exploiting as much as it is to tune encounters around them (except for maybe 1 encounter a patch cycle).

Angry Grimace

I think the top guilds will probably be 5-6 H minimum, with the 2 Heroic Deathwing fights being the barrier.

Re: Exploiting. I honestly don 't think Blizzard gives a real care about situations where the top guilds in the world are doing whatever they can (in some cases breaking the rules) to get ahead. These guys will do whatever it takes to be first and it's just not realistic to punish them for exploiting as much as it is to tune encounters around them (except for maybe 1 encounter a patch cycle).

I don't care if they exploit, but I kind of have to laugh at the theory that they're too important to ban.

Duki

Banned
We went from dungeons to corridors to generic rooms connected together by teleporters. EVOLUTION.

why do we even have trash any more

like who are they kidding

if youre not gonna make us work, why even waste a little bit of our time on stuff like this

just have a pinata and be done with it tbh

Sciz

You have excellent taste, sir. I'm rocking the red version of that as part of my set:

13815894-profilemain.jpg

Miletius

I've always liked Crystalforge. Screw all the haters!

I don't care if they exploit, but I kind of have to laugh at the theory that they're too important to ban.

Yeah, I find that funny too. I just don't think Blizzard cares one way or the other tbh. The whole concept of a "race" to be world first with this level of content is kind of a joke. When it would take people weeks and weeks to clear stuff (vanilla and BC) for example, maybe it made sense. Now I just feel 'eh' about it.

Angry Grimace

All of the high end guilds that exploited LFR got bans, which means all of them. Oh noes, 8 days without WoW!

Although I did read this cute comment from one of the US guilds:
I think all these week one shenanigans could have easily been avoided by allowing heroic mode to be accessed right from the start. LFR and normal mode difficulties clearly are not designed with "top tier" guilds in mind and as a result these guilds will do anything they can to prepare themselves for the following week because it is just too easy to execute. The truth is it is getting out of hand, having to run LFR or split raids just so you have every gear advantage you can get. I can see how other guilds would feel pressured into abusing the LFR system as our guild was faced with the very decision simply because we would not want to fall behind. How is that fun? I guess what I am wondering is, what happened to the "do what you want, when you want" mentality that was mentioned at Blizzcon. I guess all the forum trolls would be out a job if things actually made sense.
Talk about entitlement. Deal with the one week you have to do something you don't like.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I'm doing the fight against Deathwing again... this time with pugs and holy mother, we can actually reach phase 2 :lol This is hilarious.

Miletius

All of the high end guilds that exploited LFR got bans, which means all of them. Oh noes, 8 days without WoW!

Although I did read this cute comment from one of the US guilds:

Talk about entitlement. Deal with the one week you have to do something you don't like.

I guess that means we'll be seeing a couple of new names on the scoreboard. Some of these guys are gonna go into cardiac arrest without their fix. (I kid, I kid)

Angry Grimace

I guess that means we'll be seeing a couple of new names on the scoreboard. Some of these guys are gonna go into cardiac arrest without their fix. (I kid, I kid)

It isn't like they were going to down Deathwing-H in a week anyways. Even the most hardcore of hardcore guilds can't field 25 people with no jobs or income.

Angry Grimace

You know, I'm not entirely certain why people don't play Unholy DK more. Frost is a lot more random than Unholy, which is extremely predictable.

I suppose having two weapons is easier than one, although more annoying to acquire.

ch0mp

You know, I'm not entirely certain why people don't play Unholy DK more. Frost is a lot more random than Unholy, which is extremely predictable.

I suppose having two weapons is easier than one, although more annoying to acquire.
I levelled entirely with UH. It's really really boring to play.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
LFR loot system doesn't work well at all when you group with 25 random people each time. Guess I could try to find a guild that runs it on Sunday or Monday while mine is in hiatus.

Alex

It's part of what caused me to quit in 4.2, haha, I was already burnt out and trying to adjust to it was really offputting to me. I disliked the pet management and ramp up. Not sure if it's changed but I just really enjoy dual wield frost.

My pet died so damn much on 4.2 patch day, too, it'd cut across lava, get stomped to bits by every form of AoE, which confused me as I thought permanent pets had like -90% reduction or some such.

LFR loot system doesn't work well at all when you group with 25 random people each time. Guess I could try to find a guild that runs it on Sunday or Monday while mine is in hiatus.

Yeah, we noticed that too, LFR would work better with its own point system, otherwise its amazingly rough to get an item. We had a Rogue in our finder group who respawn pulled the third boss two times in a row and basically afk auto attacked (did like 12k DPS compared to the 25-30 the real players did) win both vanq tokens :lol

I'd really love a setup where you can comfortably play without being bound to rigid scheduling but I dont think LFR is going to remedy this for me, it's not like it's very engaging either since it's stripped of challenge.

Really wish there were fun and extremely difficult small group content types. It'd work well for me being able to just grab a few guildies and ago whenever we wanted. That and it'd be fun to see them really go all out on design that isn't just stripped down and muddled (10 man) from the sheep herding challenges of 25 man.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It's part of what caused me to quit in 4.2, haha, I was already burnt out and trying to adjust to it was really offputting to me. I disliked the pet management and ramp up. Not sure if it's changed but I just really enjoy dual wield frost.

My pet died so damn much on 4.2 patch day, too, it'd cut across lava, get stomped to bits by every form of AoE, which confused me as I thought permanent pets had like -90% reduction or some such.
Frost was beast in 4.2 Why didn't you do that?

Alex

Frost was beast in 4.2 Why didn't you do that?

Unholy was parsing a lot higher than 2H Frost, which was my only option since I didn't play to ever Dual Wield and had no 1Hs (passed like Heroic Lava Spines to our Warriors for SMF since they actually liked it). I only played like a week of 4.2 though, I always burn out around the first summer in an expansion.

I've taken to DW Frost now though, and I've finally hit that point where I just don't give a shit about theory craft and parsing anymore regardless, I'm a good player so especially in the kind of guilds I join I always pull top end numbers despite anything.

I want to try my Enhancement Shaman out and see what it's AoE is like now since I bitched so relentlessly about how clunky it was before, but I really feel like I've seen enough of those 5 mans already haha.

I don't think the margin is as high as it was in 4.0 or 4.2. Pretty sure Unholy was dead in 4.0.

Unholy was great at Cata launch but they meganerfed it down for awhile.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Unholy was parsing a lot higher than 2H Frost, which was my only option since I didn't play to ever Dual Wield and had no 1Hs (passed like Heroic Lava Spines to our Warriors for SMF since they actually liked it). I only played like a week of 4.2 though, I always burn out around the first summer in an expansion.

I've taken to DW Frost now though, and I've finally hit that point where I just don't give a shit about theory craft and parsing anymore, I'm a good player so especially in the kind of guilds I join I always pull top end numbers regardless.

I want to try my Enhancement Shaman out and see what it's AoE is like now since I bitched so relentlessly about how clunky it was before, but I really feel like I've seen enough of those 5 mans already haha.
Well, the 365 craftables were quite good an inexpensive, especially if you had an alch alt. Even the troll 1handers did high DPS in raids. I used to hate frost in WOTLK. Switched to it in 4.0, loved it, and still doing it.

I had to buy two Obsidium Cleavers which sucked tho. :| None dropped.

Alex

Well, the 365 craftables were quite good an inexpensive, especially if you had an alch alt. I used to hate frost in WOTLK. Switched to it in 4.0, loved it, and still doing it.

No one even had 'em the first week though, guy! I wanted them! :p But yeah when I came back I just snatched two of those axes off of the AH and said fuck it, I just want to play.

Top Bottom