• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Downed Ultraxion or wtv his name is today, I think it'll be a while before we are 8/8 though.

Question for mages, I switched to fire spec today and my dps is SHIT. It's like... 14k DPS?

I don't think I'm doing things right, but I'm following the guides I see online pretty directly.

I got combustion helper, make sure living bomb and critical mass debuff are always on target, and pretty much spam fireball until fireblast or pyroblast procs, then I cast that. I combust when I have at least 2 fresh dots on (usually after a pyro I'll reload a living bomb), or if I get lucky and have all 3 (pyro dot, living bomb dot, and ignite dot).

I have all the proper glyphs and I'm using molten armor. Here's a link to my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dreadmaul/Daario/simple

I'm thinking it's my enchants/gem at this point? Any help is appreciated :)
No, you're probably doing it right; it's that fire still sucks and is only good on paper since you never actually proc Hot Streak, same as since 3.3.

Alex

I think my biggest issue with WoW nowadays isn't content or design it's just familiarity. The look the feel, being able to see past the smoke and mirrors, hardly anything you can blame Blizzard for, heck that's a unique stage to be associated with a game, I mean there's burn out then there's this.

Still having fun though. I like 4.3 so far, but its really easy, I can see it weighing on people if pandaria takes too long. Really need those new content types to provide challenge outside of a big ol heroic raid. When I resubbed so did half of my guild, most of which planning on just that one month of play, that's where smaller, more renewable things come in. Accessibility rocks, but WoW is setup to be consumed pretty quick at face value, so it almost clashes right now.

SUPARSTARX

Lucky queue!

So much gearing and fun stuff for my alts.

I used to main a rogue but switched to priest in WOTLK. Going to try and ninja a Hagara raid to pick pocket the boss for the first tier of legendary daggers. :D

Ryaaan14

Banned
Quick question,

I know this may sound crazy. I have my account with a shedload of 85s and various other characters, plenty of gear, gold etc. but I don't really have a 'main' so to speak and I just get this kid-in-a-candy-store effect where I don't know what I want, what do I want to play and focus on.

So I thought about deleting everything and just have one character on this account like the ole' days but as my friend pointed out, always stupid to delete characters.

So I thought about creating a brand spanking new account on the side or use one of my others associated to my Battle.net account.

tl;dr Can you transfer heirlooms from different accounts while they are under the same B.net account ( Obviously still on the same realm ) and what about mounts and stuff you've purchased, will they still end up in your mailbox when you create the char despite being on another account?

Just thought I'd chime in to say you shouldn't feel forced to play a certain way. There's no problem with wanting to do so much it causes you to juggle characters. That's just the kind of player you are and that's what provides the most fun for you. Stick with it I say.

ampere

Heads up wowheads

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3655404

This with the year commitment makes WoW about 120 for a year plus Diablo 3. WoW would be 5 bucks a month at that point.

Woo!! Bought two orders of three, thanks for the heads up! I missed out on the Target deal a few weeks back since it didn't work online and they only had one in stock in store.

Oop, backordered. I'd probably make an effort to go to the store to do this if I knew when Pandaria was coming out.

It let me place orders with the B2G1 deal while backordered. It's probably worth ordering some to sit on even if you're waiting for Mists.

Finally won the fishing contest :D

Now all I need is the catch a rare fish achievement to get my title.

Aww man. Grats! I've been going for that contest for a long time, haha.
No, you're probably doing it right; it's that fire still sucks and is only good on paper since you never actually proc Hot Streak, same as since 3.3.
Hmm I don't think that's true, our Arcane Mages went Fire this patch and are pulling around 30k. It's still an RNG based spec, but it's quite good.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i am really kind of down about transmogrification. being a hunter or any mail class sucks for it. besides that, its hard to figure out what looks good or not since i dont want tier sets.

cloth and plate classes seem to get the most leniency. i can see leather being in the same boat as mail, though... but at least they're a little more diverse.

i really just wanted to use all my random holiday stuff and mish mash them together. but since that isn't happening, i dont even really want to use it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
REALLY enjoying the Deathwing battle... phase 2 is intense

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Woo!! Bought two orders of three, thanks for the heads up! I missed out on the Target deal a few weeks back since it didn't work online and they only had one in stock in store.

It let me place orders with the B2G1 deal while backordered. It's probably worth ordering some to sit on even if you're waiting for Mists.

Aww man. Grats! I've been going for that contest for a long time, haha.

Hmm I don't think that's true, our Arcane Mages went Fire this patch and are pulling around 30k. It's still an RNG based spec, but it's quite good.

RNG based specs suck, particularly when they aren't better than the non-RNG spec 90% of the time. I think Fire is the only really really RNG based spec left other than say, Ret Paladins pulling Divine Purpose procs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can a low lvl do the Darkmoon Faire quests? So like this they could get heirlooms without needing a lvl 85 main in the same realm?

But i figure that at their price, its going to take months to get even just a few of them.

Angry Grimace

Can a low lvl do the Darkmoon Faire quests? So like this they could get heirlooms without needing a lvl 85 main in the same realm?

But i figure that at their price, its going to take months to get even just a few of them.

There are no quests involved that require you to do anything of relevance at high level; you apparently could but consider that it takes for-fucking-ever to farm the tickets.

Thoraxes

I just saw the end cinematic for Cataclysm.
As someone who loved the lore of the series, read almost all of the books, and even could take the asspulls, I am greatly disappointed with the ending, the reasonings behind it, and the overall result given that
other Old Gods still exist buried in the planet, and that Azeroth is still on Sargeras and Kil'jaden's hit-list.

Downed Ultraxion or wtv his name is today, I think it'll be a while before we are 8/8 though.

Question for mages, I switched to fire spec today and my dps is SHIT. It's like... 14k DPS?

I don't think I'm doing things right, but I'm following the guides I see online pretty directly.

I got combustion helper, make sure living bomb and critical mass debuff are always on target, and pretty much spam fireball until fireblast or pyroblast procs, then I cast that. I combust when I have at least 2 fresh dots on (usually after a pyro I'll reload a living bomb), or if I get lucky and have all 3 (pyro dot, living bomb dot, and ignite dot).

I have all the proper glyphs and I'm using molten armor. Here's a link to my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dreadmaul/Daario/simple

I'm thinking it's my enchants/gem at this point? Any help is appreciated :)

Hard to tell, you're a bit undergeared so I'm not sure what DPS to expect. What did you do before? It looks like you may be in an arcane gearset at the moment from armory. Trinkets are geared toward mastery which isn't that great for fire. Maybe grab Rune of Zeth from FL rep if you can and macro it into your fireball cast, or something.

I think if you switch your gems around from mastery to int and crit and work on farming a bit better gear you'll see better results. Right now your hit is so low that you're reforging everything to hit so there's nothing to even fix there. Get precision on boots and bracers even though it's not the best enchant in either slot, that will help the hit situation a little.

Also I'm sure you know but there's a lot of unenchanted stuff, that will help your dps a lot. Also definitely stop putting orange gems in red slots.

I'm a little sad that fire is better now... I was having a rough time getting used to it again:
28k on ultraxion this week vs 33k on Baelroc last week

Part of it is probably down to the legendary nerf, part down to me sucking. But fire always seems to suck until you have a decent level of crit.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Quick question,

I know this may sound crazy. I have my account with a shedload of 85s and various other characters, plenty of gear, gold etc. but I don't really have a 'main' so to speak and I just get this kid-in-a-candy-store effect where I don't know what I want, what do I want to play and focus on.

So I thought about deleting everything and just have one character on this account like the ole' days but as my friend pointed out, always stupid to delete characters.

So I thought about creating a brand spanking new account on the side or use one of my others associated to my Battle.net account.

tl;dr Can you transfer heirlooms from different accounts while they are under the same B.net account ( Obviously still on the same realm ) and what about mounts and stuff you've purchased, will they still end up in your mailbox when you create the char despite being on another account?
This patch is the best time to have multiple 85's between LFR and conquest changes.

Multiple 85's is the best way to pick your main.

People that have a bunch of cool shit on one character raid or pvp with it. You can only do that once a week. Bunch of time in between to LFR and random battleground.

Before 4.3 and raiding on one char, I had NO desire to farm troll heroics and find people to arena with. Now I'm happy personally.

Mairu

I managed to get the polearm off Deathwing on my alt druid tonight. I had really poor luck with the firecat staff and still don't have it, but I like this one even more. The size-increasing proc is absolutely hilarious as a bear-tank.

Number45

RNG based specs suck, particularly when they aren't better than the non-RNG spec 90% of the time. I think Fire is the only really really RNG based spec left other than say, Ret Paladins pulling Divine Purpose procs.

I love the unpredictability of my Fire Mage, makes it even more fun to play for me. Granted I'm not obsessed with topping meters though. <3

Man losing 6 battlegrounds in a row is depressing.

Do you play by yourself? I queue up with 2 friends and that makes things so much more fun and guarantess that we are always competitive.

Going in by yourself and getting placed with some really bad players can be a pretty crappy experience.

edit:
It would be less depressing if there werent so many bots >_<;

I don't see that many bots anymore. You still get the occasional one but at least the days of having half your team being bots is gone.

Bisnic

I usually get at least 1 afk in our team. But it seems im the only one who notice this since he's still there 10 mins later. Piss me off so much, that shit even happen in Tol Barad.

markot

Banned
Bots are alot smarter now >.<

They do pathing and randomly attack.

If you see someone attacking a water elemental, BOT!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you didn't open your 7th anniversary mail yet, you can still loot and equip it until you log off. I didn't test to see if it actually worked.

I was thinking it wasn't over yet and logged off. Would have grinded out 77-80 otherwise.

I usually get at least 1 afk in our team. But it seems im the only one who notice this since he's still there 10 mins later. Piss me off so much, that shit even happen in Tol Barad.

Tol barad is probably a great spot for bots as i doubt pretty much anyone would notice them. Especially without the damage and healing charts to look at.

Bots are alot smarter now >.<

They do pathing and randomly attack.

If you see someone attacking a water elemental, BOT!

That or they're just one of the many dumb alliance players :p.

Bisnic

Tol barad is probably a great spot for bots as i doubt pretty much anyone would notice them. Especially without the damage and healing charts to look at.

I usually notice them by just looking at the map and seeing that odd dot or two standing near a destroyed tower or even in the mountains.

Went back in for night 2 of Dragon Soul Last night. We only had like 2 hours and spent a lot of it on Cataclysm's version of the gun ship. After that it only took us 3 attempts to get Part 1 of Deathwing. We're going to give Madness a try tonight, though we could only get people together for about an hour. However, it doesn't seem too difficult.

So I finally hit 85 with my blood DK this weekend, and I'm gearing up to do the troll heroics, the new 5-mans, and LFR, I finally got good enough gear to take on the regular 85 heroics, and I've done a few with guildies, but I'm prolly going to have to spend some time solo queueing as well, so I ask you guys, how face roll are the heroics these days? So far I've noticed that mobs generally hit like a truck, and I'm popping cooldowns with a good amount of regularity (DRW, VB, Rune Tapping, Lichborne, thankfully the cooldowns are pretty quick to come back). Is this just a matter of gear, or is it normal for DK tanks to have this much damage spiking going on?

yukonrye

Finally won the fishing contest :D

Now all I need is the catch a rare fish achievement to get my title.

Grats! I tried the STV contest for the first time yesterday and managed to win it. I was really, really lucky. The last few fish gets pretty intense, probably the first "rush" I've ever had with this game. I got some nasty tells afterwords.

Number45

A quick question guys, as this is the first character I've levelled for the best part of the year - do I still need to bother with rep for the Cata factions? On my last two characters (Fire Mage/Resto Druid), doing all five Cata zones and countless dailies/heroics to get the rep was required, but I'm not sure this is the case now?

Hit 85 with my Hunter last night (Hyjal, Vash and Deepholm finished) and can't be arsed with Uldum or Twilight Highlands. I'm going to start the Firelands quests tonight (Yay! Content I haven't seen before), but wasn't sure if I should be planning on going back to grind that rep.

Miletius

A quick question guys, as this is the first character I've levelled for the best part of the year - do I still need to bother with rep for the Cata factions? On my last two characters (Fire Mage/Resto Druid), doing all five Cata zones and countless dailies/heroics to get the rep was required, but I'm not sure this is the case now?

Hit 85 with my Hunter last night (Hyjal, Vash and Deepholm finished) and can't be arsed with Uldum or Twilight Highlands. I'm going to start the Firelands quests tonight (Yay! Content I haven't seen before), but wasn't sure if I should be planning on going back to grind that rep.

The only valuable items that you can get from rep are the Head and Shoulder enchants. If you have the rep on another character that can mail to your alt then then that cuts half of them out since the enchants are BoA. The only one that you need to do is Therazane since those items are not BoA.

Number45

Thanks. My Mage (that I transferred to this realm for cash/professions) is exalted with all five so I should be able to just buy it with him then. I just need to go for Therazene exalted then (or I could forego that enchant - not planning on doing a lot with this character), which isn't too bad.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thanks. My Mage (that I transferred to this realm for cash/professions) is exalted with all five so I should be able to just buy it with him then. I just need to go for Therazene exalted then (or I could forego that enchant - not planning on doing a lot with this character), which isn't too bad.
I'm sure you'll get to exalted by the time you can do LFR with it.

Kaper

So I finally hit 85 with my blood DK this weekend, and I'm gearing up to do the troll heroics, the new 5-mans, and LFR, I finally got good enough gear to take on the regular 85 heroics, and I've done a few with guildies, but I'm prolly going to have to spend some time solo queueing as well, so I ask you guys, how face roll are the heroics these days? So far I've noticed that mobs generally hit like a truck, and I'm popping cooldowns with a good amount of regularity (DRW, VB, Rune Tapping, Lichborne, thankfully the cooldowns are pretty quick to come back). Is this just a matter of gear, or is it normal for DK tanks to have this much damage spiking going on?

DK tanks are spiky by design. Smart cd usage is what separates the good DKs from the bad. DRW, VB, RT, LB + DCs, BS, IBF! A DK tank is certainly more involved than the other three specs. Just make sure you are using Death Strike as much as possible, and stack mastery to further increase the damage shield. The cd's you listed are what you should be rotating, saving BS and IBF for big incoming boss damage or emergencies on trash pulls. Once you get gear, and with proper cd usage, DK tanks are a joke to heal in heroics.

Number45

No doubt. I really dislike playing the character though, I have no idea why I stuck it out to 85 - but now that I'm there I might as well at least get LW to a decent level with some half decent patterns.

DK tanks are spiky by design. Smart cd usage is what separates the good DKs from the bad. DRW, VB, RT, LB + DCs, BS, IBF! A DK tank is certainly more involved than the other three specs. Just make sure you are using Death Strike as much as possible, and stack mastery to further increase the damage shield. The cd's you listed are what you should be rotating, saving BS and IBF for big incoming boss damage or emergencies on trash pulls. Once you get gear, and with proper cd usage, DK tanks are a joke to heal in heroics.

yeah, IBF is my emergency CD for when it looks like some big damage is incoming...I'm less familiar with BS, which ability is that? I'm using blood tap on the regular to get more death strikes in, I read an article about blood tanking and maximizing death strike, and it sounded more like advanced tactics for raid progression and whatnot. Honestly I haven't really tanked since I was levelling through outland, I ended up going straight dps when I hit 80, so I went to blood tanking when I picked him back up for Cata.

Edit: also, good to know that I'm not "doing it wrong" with respect to the cooldowns. I knew there was a lot more to it than, DnD, Diseases, and DS HS RS.

Edit2: oh, Bone Shield! Derr, yeah I use that on the regular. Okay, I guess I'm less of a DK tard than I thought. You've helped much in getting my mindset onto the "I can do this" track. :)

markot

Banned
Also, at what point did blizz decide to make WSG and AB rep impossible to get >_<?

Its been like that for ages... but... why?

Also, at what point did blizz decide to make WSG and AB rep impossible to get >_<?

Its been like that for ages... but... why?

I think since the release of BC and the demise of the original PvP system.

I still think it's silly. It would take weeks (months!) of doing nothing but playing WSG and AB to get them to exalted from scratch now. It's gotta be something they'll fix some time. Maybe in MoP.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
No doubt. I really dislike playing the character though, I have no idea why I stuck it out to 85 - but now that I'm there I might as well at least get LW to a decent level with some half decent patterns.
Hm, yeah, if you don't like playing it no reason to do anything but make it have a profession you need.

idlewild_

don't know about that, my dk (human) is 8000/21000 on its first reputation (had the tabard since L83, dunno if it works in some of the 84-85 normal dungeons) and I did LFR with it last night. Between BoE gear, JP gear, and the gear from the new 5mans you'll be 372 ilvl long before you can hit exalted. I spent maybe 3-4k gold too, so it's not like I dropped a fortune to be able to do this.

TheYanger

yeah, IBF is my emergency CD for when it looks like some big damage is incoming...I'm less familiar with BS, which ability is that? I'm using blood tap on the regular to get more death strikes in, I read an article about blood tanking and maximizing death strike, and it sounded more like advanced tactics for raid progression and whatnot. Honestly I haven't really tanked since I was levelling through outland, I ended up going straight dps when I hit 80, so I went to blood tanking when I picked him back up for Cata.

Edit: also, good to know that I'm not "doing it wrong" with respect to the cooldowns. I knew there was a lot more to it than, DnD, Diseases, and DS HS RS.

Edit2: oh, Bone Shield! Derr, yeah I use that on the regular. Okay, I guess I'm less of a DK tard than I thought. You've helped much in getting my mindset onto the "I can do this" track. :)

Just get used to using your Death Strike intelligently to maximize the heal and shield. You don't want to 'sit' on runes and waste them, but a well timed DS is worth infinitely more than a spammed one in most cases. VB and rune tap are your friends as well.

Number45

don't know about that, my dk (human) is 8000/21000 on its first reputation (had the tabard since L83, dunno if it works in some of the 84-85 normal dungeons) and I did LFR with it last night. Between BoE gear, JP gear, and the gear from the new 5mans you'll be 372 ilvl long before you can hit exalted. I spent maybe 3-4k gold too, so it's not like I dropped a fortune to be able to do this.

Unfortunately the faction tabards are (I'm pretty sure) active in heroics only.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
21,000 should be about 15 dungeons and I think you should almost be revered or a little over after doing the zone.

Just get used to using your Death Strike intelligently to maximize the heal and shield. You don't want to 'sit' on runes and waste them, but a well timed DS is worth infinitely more than a spammed one in most cases. VB and rune tap are your friends as well.

any recommended mods? I hear of a couple mosd out there for monitoring what you're getting for your blood shields, but aside from a couple UI tweaks (unitframes, actionbars, inventory) and DBM, I'm not really running with much of anything.

Top Bottom