• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

markot

Banned
Blood DKs are pretty impossible to kill in pvp >.<

I kinda wish blizz did seperate pvp and pve more, not so you had to choose one or the other so much, but more that balance changes could be restricted to pve, or pvp >.<

Like if you are in dungeons, certain stats and what nots were given to you, but outside of that you were balanced for pvp.... maybe....

They are two completely different worlds really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You are waay out of date. For single target dps, subtlety is the best, combat 2nd, assassination 3rd. For cleave fights, combat owns all specs in the game. Assassination is only good for aoe fights. Take a look at worldoflogs or raidbots for a general idea.

Assassination and Combat are close enough that it's not a big deal what you choose to play. Nobody really plays subtlety in PvE because the rotation has too many things to watch to be worth the marginal gain in DPS.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Sub does huge single target dmg, its awesome ^_^

Firstly you get +combo points from other peoples crits, which is awesome. Secondly you keep recuperate up with its +energy thingy. Secondly2 you keep em bleeding.

I only recently hit 85 with my rogue, its fun. Still so damn hard to take down heals though >.<; I can mess em up so they cant heal others for abit, but other then that my dps isnt high enough.... yet....

I like that its viable in pve, even lowly 5 mans. Mainly because I think combat is boring and Ass is too kinda, although less boring then combat. Sub is the only one that feels roguey!

Yeah I know Sub is amazing for those reasons in PvP, but like I said I always just assumed Mut spams would negate Honor Amongst Thieves in a single target scenario in PvE. I'll do some target dummy practice tonight using my Sub spec and PvE poisons (never tried that before). If it works out I'll just do my Dragon Soul runs tonight using Sub.

Fun night ahead if my DPS kicks ass! Thanks for the tips too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I know Sub is amazing for those reasons in PvP, but like I said I always just assumed Mut spams would negate Honor Amongst Thieves in a single target scenario in PvE. I'll do some target dummy practice tonight using my Sub spec and PvE poisons (never tried that before). If it works out I'll just do my Dragon Soul runs tonight using Sub.

Fun night ahead if my DPS kicks ass! Thanks for the tips too.

The problem with Subtlety is that it's complex enough to require tunnel vision.

Ugh.

Wanted to play WoW today, but maintenance + extended maintenance and I started up Skyrim (after playing a bit of Dark Souls during the regular downtime).

Just got out of something like a 4+ hour Skyrim wormhole.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dragon Soul Heroic Difficulty Unlocked - US First Kills

Blood Legion got the US first kill of Morchok, Warlord Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj the Unsleeping, and Hagara the Stormbinder.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Angry Grimace

Dragon Soul Heroic Difficulty Unlocked - US First Kills

Blood Legion got the US first kill of Morchok, Warlord Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj the Unsleeping, and Hagara the Stormbinder.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Not to be super dismissive, but I never find the achievements for these early guys to be all that impressive given that they've already done all the wiping on the PTR. I'm not entirely sure I see how there's any real race for those guys since almost all of those guilds have already downed that boss on heroic already; it's not like there's a functional difference between the PTR and the live realms, really.

I suppose that fact is part of why they make the final encounter buttrapingly hard.

G-Fex

guys I feel sorta burnt out on Wow for some reason,don't want to seem to play any of my characters :(.

I gotta try leveling anyways.

markot

Banned
Also am I crazy, or is the Isle of Quelwhatever still the best 'hub' area or whatever.

The grind wasnt that long, the quests were mostly fun, there was lots of fun pvp... Now they try and do the same, but ruin them with hugeeee grinds, and making them dull...

I honestly dont get it, whoever is in charge of this stuff... shouldnt be.

The new heroics are fun, it's nice to work on something challenging again (that's not Rag). I expected the first boss to be easier than it was, but looking at other guilds I'm pretty happy with our 1 kill so far.

Number45

Are there ANY quests in Molten Front that aren't dailies? I've completed Elemental Bonds: The Vow and The Sanctuary Must Not Fall and other than a couple of quests where I have to hand in 125/150 marks I have nothing else. I feel like there should be more of those Hyjal/Firelands quests that I'm missing.

EDIT: Finally found it. I need to complete either The Shadow Wardens or Druids Of The Talon to progress.

Also am I crazy, or is the Isle of Quelwhatever still the best 'hub' area or whatever.

The grind wasnt that long, the quests were mostly fun, there was lots of fun pvp... Now they try and do the same, but ruin them with hugeeee grinds, and making them dull...

QD is not as good as Molten Front; Less variety, duller quests, longer grind

C.Dark.DN

Banned
To prepare for the holidays, Great-Father Winter has massively buffed your gift-giving abilities. For a limited time, we’re offering epic savings of up to 75% on select World of Warcraft products through the online Blizzard Store:
WoW: Battle Chest for $5 (reg. $19.99)
Cataclysm for $20 (reg. $39.99)
Wrath of the Lich King for $10 (reg. $39.99)
35$ for everything

Garryk

QD is the best. It is the smallest of the daily hubs and once you hit exalted with SSO there is no point in staying. Unlike the Tournament where I will spend another year grinding out mounts and pets.

Cipherr

And the PvP. And visually, it was gorgeous. And its rewards, they were fantastic. Yeah, Isle of Quel Danas or whatever was niiiiice, extremely well done.

Alex

Pretty cringe worthy ending, a few bits of Engrish away from a low budget NES credit roll. Also, I really wish they'd stop throwing up the word "champions" to try to justify any player presence, it's almost like we're a nuisance to the writer. :lol Oh well, at least I saw it through to the end, but actually we already saw all of the assets during WOTLK. :p

I really liked the opening of Cataclysm but it progressed and ended with some heavy disdain from me. Hopefully Pandaria can correct some of the bad. 4.3 in general really felt like they just wanted to declare it over and move on.

FLEABttn

Banned
No wonder they're laggy as shit. 16 gigs of memory for a whole server?

Yep. This has DDR PC2100 ECC RAM from Samsung in it.

I looked around more at this thing and it's an HP BL20p G2 server. It's a dual Xenon processor, each being somewhere between 2.8 and 3.2 GHz with some cache size of 512 KB to 2 MB.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FLEABttn WOW!!!!!

Dinged 80 on my druid today. Made much less painful with the XP reduction and the quests placed in Northrend dungeons.

Only took about 3 dungeons to go from 78 to 80. This was fully rested though. Pretty good time still. A little over/under 5 days /played total from 1 to 80. This is with two heirlooms a good portion of the way, but still not nearly as quick as it could be. Certainly much quicker than it was.

Getting to Cata content is so good after the drag that's the late Wrath stuff.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Lucky day in LFR Fall of Deathwing. Got the 390 boots off DW's back, then the dagger dropped from DW but I lost the roll to a Shaman.

After the 3 Rogues screamed at the Shaman he had us all roll and I won it.

ji6JJ.jpg

Now we'll see what 10m Normal has in store later.

Yoshichan

Blegh. Got DCed during one of the new heroics. Did manage to pick up a pair of tanking gloves off the first boss though.

Sort of had bad luck today with games. Skyrim crashed earlier, and this DC. Instance was neat, though perhaps I should read up before throwing myself in again. Dungeon Journal was broken for some reason and wasn't showing me abilities though.

Cipherr

Since I didnt play Cata after buying it, Im reacting now and doing the instances in DF for the first time. The community in this game has melted down even further than it was when I left. Noone will (not even the person who selects the dungeon guide role) will explain any of the fights before they start, so we end up with 3/5 of the group dying, when we didnt know we needed to collapse for a special ability. DBM is nice, but it doesnt tell you everything.

After playing the TOR beta, I had once again gotten used to people actually talking, had forgotten how things are in such an old MMO. This must be a trainwreck for people completely new to the game. At least Ive played before, so I can pick up on stuff fast, but this shit would alienate the average newbie.

Terrible.

Yoshichan

After playing the TOR beta, I had once again gotten used to people actually talking, had forgotten how things are in such an old MMO. This must be a trainwreck for people completely new to the game. At least Ive played before, so I can pick up on stuff fast, but this shit would alienate the average newbie.

Terrible.
This is the case with almost every MMORPG that survives the 5 year-period.

Alex

That's certainly true to an extent but with WoW the design makes it considerably worse than anything else of age I've participated in (LOTRO comes to mind as a good example). There's really no point in any actual socialization or community aspects in WoW unless you're talking guild raids.

Leveling is solo encouraged, pre-raid content is harder to fail at than succeed and there's just no need to say a word to anyone for any reason, menus do all the talking for you since there's no game world to participate in. I don't see TOR avoiding most of this, though. Not with it's budget and license, at least to some extent.

The funny thing is that games like Diablo III will likely wind up being more significant multiplayer experiences in many ways. It's getting harder and harder to justify the monthly fee for this type of MMO anymore, not with the lack of the open world and the dearth of updates.

Yoshichan

Ah, just reached 2005 haste with my resto with no trouble... love that breakpoint!

Angry Grimace

Since I didnt play Cata after buying it, Im reacting now and doing the instances in DF for the first time. The community in this game has melted down even further than it was when I left. Noone will (not even the person who selects the dungeon guide role) will explain any of the fights before they start, so we end up with 3/5 of the group dying, when we didnt know we needed to collapse for a special ability. DBM is nice, but it doesnt tell you everything.

Terrible.

I just went through Madness of Deathwing on LFR (i.e. 25 person pug) without having ever done it, explained it anyways using a strategy I read online, and got him on the third try. People will be grateful to you if you do it yourself, it's just that everyone is too shy to speak up to 25 people they don't know.

The 5 man bosses have only 1 or 2 abilities of note, so it's not like it's a super burden to just ask.

Edit: Of course, I went ahead and was nice and helpful the new 5 man and the tank immediately started loot ninjaing my gear =/

Angry Grimace

The reactions to Heroic mode Dragon Soul are kind of amusing following the "this is too easy" complaints.

A lot of "how is it even possible that Blood Legion downed Yor'sahj at all" comments.

Yoshichan

My head hurts when I think about Mists of Pandaria... what a dumb expansion-pack it'll be. Worst one probably.

markot

Banned
My head hurts when I think about Mists of Pandaria... what a dumb expansion-pack it'll be. Worst one probably.

Shadow priests have 1 heal.

Its gonna be great. Getting rid of 'cookie cutter' by doing the cookie cutting for us Blizz. Its genius! Master Stroke! 10/10! If you were bankers youd get a 50billion dollar bail out and bonuses for your terriffic dynamism!

Its only hope is how active the San Andreas fault line is between now and launch really >.<; (Ahh, thats not wishing harm on anyone!, just a joke!)

Angry Grimace

Shadow priests have 1 heal.

Its gonna be great. Getting rid of 'cookie cutter' by doing the cookie cutting for us Blizz. Its genius! Master Stroke! 10/10! If you were bankers youd get a 50billion dollar bail out and bonuses for your terriffic dynamism!

Its only hope is how active the San Andreas fault line is between now and launch really >.<; (Ahh, thats not wishing harm on anyone!, just a joke!)

One thing Blizzard is good at is making money. I imagine they're more profitable now than they've ever been given the fact they put out SCII right when WoW starting dropping subs, and they'll put out Diablo III when the subs dip lower in the doldrums of Dragon Soul.

markot

Banned
Tell me about it! I bought SC2 and hate it, and bought a yearly sub and already want to get out of it >_<;

But I kinda want them to make a good game, more than alot of money....

Angry Grimace

Tell me about it! I bought SC2 and hate it, and bought a yearly sub and already want to get out of it >_<;

But I kinda want them to make a good game, more than alot of money....

Meh, I'll never find it to be that big of a deal; I'm subbed for months at a time and always get sad when I'm not in the beta test.

Rokal

I'm looking forward to Pandas/Monks and an expansion devoted to end game but yeah... Wrath style 5-mans, easy normal raids, and the new talent trees really don't have me especially optimistic about what that end-game will actually be.

Top Bottom