• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alex

SWTOR seems to me like the kind of game that'll always be pretty easy to jump into, it's long term retention to it I'm doubting but would love to be proven wrong. I'm just wary of EA as an MMO publisher and I'm not convinced this game will getting the kind of content updates it needs considering how expensive they'll be.

If you wait for it to drop to a low price and just play it as a co-op KOTOR/Mass Effect styled experience (which it does wonderfully, in my opinion, taking this game on in a duo has been fantastic) I think that's the best way to go in if you're unsure. 60 bucks is a lot of money to ask for an online only game you may not like, that's totally a huge barrier, I agree.

I hope they keep it up though, it'd be so great to hop between it and WoW whenever content came in. I haven't been able to get into anything other than WoW for years.

I won't shit up the WoW thread talking about it though, I think I already shit up the SWTOR thread by mentioning WoW too much even as reference. People seem to have a really difficult time discussing two MMOs without losing it at some point. I guess people want to be on the winning team, especially since no one subs to two at once but man the game needs two teams for that to really begin :lol

Sethos

Banned
So last Tuesday afternoon I decided to delete all my old characters I didn't play and start the clean slate I've been talking about. Rolled yet another Paladin ( They are my favourite class ). Reached 85 yesterday at some point and decided to go Holy - Something I haven't been since I raided MC and BWL in vanilla. Now I'm slowly gearing up, installed HealBot Continued and everything is working well, still got some practice to do.

One thing I'm worried about is Heroics, bog standard Heroics. I know it sounds silly but it's fairly easy in normals already, can do 60% of the instance by only using Holy Shock but my worry is, when the shit hits the fan. Is it just me or is it seriously stressful as a healer when everyone is at 20-30% all of a sudden, then you need to prioritize the player most in danger and just kick out heals. Just worried about Heroics doing that all the time and I end up wiping people again, again and again. Obviously the other half is pretty relaxing, with HealBot I can just sit back and do nothing for a big part of the instance really - It's just those EUGH EMERGENCY heals that annoys me :p

I was used to playing a tank which was ungrateful but damn, playing a healer is just plain stressful. Especially when players don't know the encounter and get insta-gibbed by a boss or some magical encounter and then start blaming you, because they didn't move. Eugh.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
^^ Holy Pallys are brilliant. I recently rerolled in the gaf guild and this time I really went out of my way to learn as much as I could about healing and how to improve. UI, keybinding all that good stuff. It's been hugely fun. I've just gotten Holy Radiance (lvl83) so I'm really excited to check that out, see how it works.

I posted a few posts back about my short experience with Cata Normals and much like what you've described it's been the same for me.
Had a couple of OMG moments in the few runs I did. Had a druid tank pull two packs by accident and the damage was ridiculous. I had to let a dps or two die, I don't know if they were doing something wrong but it seemed absurd the amount of damage that was hitting everyone not just the tank. The pally dps had to keep dropping back and help throw a few heals around.
I'm no slouch either, I think I've run just over 50 dungeons on my way to 85 and had only 3 ppl die on me, not including one wipe 'cause of an over eager tank in SM.
Had another run where this 85 DK was pretty much soloing the instance and just stood that lava boss in Blackrock Caverns in the lava and wiped all but himself and the hunter.

It's just stuff like that that make the instances so much harder than they should be. I feel it's mostly fine just as long as people are paying attention. It seems like, and I could be wrong here, the instances go out of their way to punish anyone who screws up. Dps standing in stuff, nobody ccing or interrupting long casted spells etc.
It's hard for healers 'cause their the ones mostly having to fix people's mistakes.

I'm expecting it to be a lot more punishing on heroic.

When I think about it it really doesn't seem that hard to get people back up anyway as Holy, if you've beaconed the tank and with Protector of the Innocent you can pretty much just heal the dps and you and tank are healed along with them. With that Word of Glory talent you can get huge heals if it crits when someone's under 35% and if Infusion of Light procs you get a fast casting Divine Light. If they're in a small cluster Light of Dawn or Radiance. I feel it'll just be a matter of knowing when to expect a lot of damage and being ready for it. Knowing how to handle it.

I've been having way more fun since i gave up healing. As a DPS and tank i feel i spend far less time trying to deal with other peoples mistakes. It's far less stressful and the game has beocme much more fun to me.

I think i'll stick to just healing in PvP. Maybe i'll give it another shot next expansion but right now i'm just not feeling it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So last Tuesday afternoon I decided to delete all my old characters I didn't play and start the clean slate I've been talking about. Rolled yet another Paladin ( They are my favourite class ). Reached 85 yesterday at some point and decided to go Holy - Something I haven't been since I raided MC and BWL in vanilla. Now I'm slowly gearing up, installed HealBot Continued and everything is working well, still got some practice to do.

One thing I'm worried about is Heroics, bog standard Heroics. I know it sounds silly but it's fairly easy in normals already, can do 60% of the instance by only using Holy Shock but my worry is, when the shit hits the fan. Is it just me or is it seriously stressful as a healer when everyone is at 20-30% all of a sudden, then you need to prioritize the player most in danger and just kick out heals. Just worried about Heroics doing that all the time and I end up wiping people again, again and again. Obviously the other half is pretty relaxing, with HealBot I can just sit back and do nothing for a big part of the instance really - It's just those EUGH EMERGENCY heals that annoys me :p

I was used to playing a tank which was ungrateful but damn, playing a healer is just plain stressful. Especially when players don't know the encounter and get insta-gibbed by a boss or some magical encounter and then start blaming you, because they didn't move. Eugh.

My main healer is a holy paladin and i love it. I can just put a beacon of light on the tank and only worry about the dps health most of the time, and with so many good talents, especially for fast divine lights procs, its easy. Flash Light and Holy Shock are rarely used, flash lights only in big emergencies where even a proc for faster divine light wont be enough. I use Holy Shock, Divine Light and Word of Glory like 90% of the time.

When "oh shit" moments happen...well its just a matter of knowing who to heal and which spell to use, but i learned all this by experience, its hard to describe.

My main healer is a holy paladin and i love it. I can just put a beacon of light on the tank and only worry about the dps health most of the time, and with so many good talents, especially for fast divine lights procs, its easy. Flash Light and Holy Shock are rarely used, flash lights only in big emergencies where even a proc for faster divine light wont be enough. I use Holy Shock, Divine Light and Word of Glory like 90% of the time.

When "oh shit" moments happen...well its just a matter of knowing who to heal and which spell to use, but i learned all this by experience, its hard to describe.

Maybe i should finish raising my pally. I have always been a resto druid but i just having been enjoying it as much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy pala

ez mode

go resto druid

if you want actual fun

holy pala

ez mode

go resto druid

if you want actual fun

Sometimes it's nice to be able to just relax somewhat when i'm playing. If i want to play something a bit more full on i log onto SC2 ;).

Edit: Although i do already have an 85 resto druid who i use in pvp so it would be much easier to gear up (and i have a lot more experience as resto). Or maybe just i'll stick to my enhance shammy, it's ultra easy mode :p.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

TheContact

So I was a day1 WoWer, coming from UO and DAoC. I used to be a hardcore raider in a fairly successful US guild (got a couple world firsts and US firsts when I was with them) a while ago. I stopped raiding after Naxx in WoTLK and sort of lost interest in WoW. Lately though, I've had fun instance grinding a resto shaman. I got him to level 85 after a decent amount of time. Having an 85 of every class now, and noticing that the AV holiday was this past weekend, I decided to continuously queue for AV and rack up massive honor to buy the lolilvl390 pvp gear. After having gone from greens and blues ranging from ilvl 280 to 309 to a 378ilevel in about a day of AV grinding, I was able to queue for the Raid Finder in full pvp gear with no gems or enchantments. We cleared the Wyrmrest temple without wiping, then after I queued for fall of deathwing and we cleared that w/o wiping...

I'm not complaining, I think this is really nice how the average person can just jump into something that normally would require a heavy time investment, schedules, and guilds. I am probably never going to raid in a guild again because I don't have the time to invest, but I think it's so awesome how I got to be part of killing deathwing after being level 85 for only a couple days.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This healer in my horrible guild uses almost nothing but Flash of Light.

The reason why is that he doesn't understand the concept that if you have a 100% reactive healing class you have to pre-cast unhasted Divine Lights, but he refuses and then OOMs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This healer in my horrible guild uses almost nothing but Flash of Light.

The reason why is that he doesn't understand the concept that if you have a 100% reactive healing class you have to pre-cast unhasted Divine Lights, but he refuses and then OOMs.

I always laugh when i do 5 mans on my other characters, and see the holy paladin going OOM in a fight that wasn't even super intense on healing. Oh look, recount says Flash of Light is his #1 spell by a huge margin! World of Glory is such a blessing when it comes to saving mana, especially when you get the proc that give you free Holy Power.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always laugh when i do 5 mans on my other characters, and see the holy paladin going OOM in a fight that wasn't even super intense on healing. Oh look, recount says Flash of Light is his #1 spell by a huge margin! World of Glory is such a blessing when it comes to saving mana, especially when you get the proc that give you free Holy Power.

I've OOMed on mine on fights using nothing but Divine Light + Holy Shock + WOG and a very acceptable level of overheal, but you can't heal through a sufficient level of stupid.

As a retri paladin, I can't count how many times I've saved the tank or the healer with a well timed Lay On Hands. That spell is ridiculously good.

border

Has anyone bought a digital copy of Cataclysm as a gift? I want to upgrade my girlfriend while it's only $20. Do I have to have her Blizzard ID, or does it just give me a code that I can have her redeem? The Blizzard Store has a banner that reads "Give the Gift of Warcraft", but prior to purchase there's really nothing to indicate how gifting digital content works.

Has anyone bought a digital copy of Cataclysm as a gift? I want to upgrade my girlfriend while it's only $20. Do I have to have her Blizzard ID, or does it just give me a code that I can have her redeem? The Blizzard Store has a banner that reads "Give the Gift of Warcraft", but prior to purchase there's really nothing to indicate how gifting digital content works.

It should prompt you to give an email you want it sent to, or it'll give you a code that you can then use on her account. Something like that.

You shouldn't have to know specifics.

Sethos

Banned
So I decided to just go for it, get over my Heroic fears as a healer and sign up for a LFG. Got in, was a bit rough the first 5 minutes as I went oom very quickly due to using Divine Light a bit too much, as the tank was taking mad damage. After that, started using WoG a bit more, relied on BoL and everything went perfectly. Mana is still a tiny issue, I can easily regenerate between encounters with trinket ( spirit ) and Divine Plea.

Ah that was enjoyable.

Do we still judge with insight though? It appears you need to melee to get the mana bonus. I still keep it up for the glyph and never judge.

Yoshichan

'tis a good day for WoW... got another Queen's Garnet and the 1H mace from DW (10 man):

2nnl3.png

Too bad I need a decent off-hand now... and the only one that exists is the one from stupid Ultraxion ._.

thatbox

Banned
So I decided to just go for it, get over my Heroic fears as a healer and sign up for a LFG. Got in, was a bit rough the first 5 minutes as I went oom very quickly due to using Divine Light a bit too much, as the tank was taking mad damage. After that, started using WoG a bit more, relied on BoL and everything went perfectly. Mana is still a tiny issue, I can easily regenerate between encounters with trinket ( spirit ) and Divine Plea.

Ah that was enjoyable.

Do we still judge with insight though? It appears you need to melee to get the mana bonus. I still keep it up for the glyph and never judge.
You still need to Judge once per minute to maintain Judgements of the Pure, which gives you haste and Holy Concentration.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm considering getting back into WoW. If I do, I may go a whole year because of the annual pass (may as well get Diablo 3 and beta expansion access while I'm at it).

However, I haven't played WoW in a while. Is the game still good to get into, to start fresh? Also, if I were to decide to join a GAF guild, would that be possible? I usually don't join guilds, but I thought I may give one a try if I decide to get back into the game.

Also, before I commit to a subscription, the game is free to play up until level 20 now, correct? Does that mean that I get full access to the game rather than the limited access that the 12 days of free game time offered (no access to your mail, etc.)?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm considering getting back into WoW. If I do, I may go a whole year because of the annual pass (may as well get Diablo 3 and beta expansion access while I'm at it).

However, I haven't played WoW in a while. Is the game still good to get into, to start fresh? Also, if I were to decide to join a GAF guild, would that be possible? I usually don't join guilds, but I thought I may give one a try if I decide to get back into the game.

Also, before I commit to a subscription, the game is free to play up until level 20 now, correct? Does that mean that I get full access to the game rather than the limited access that the 12 days of free game time offered (no access to your mail, etc.)?

The free to play thing has the same limits as before.
Wow Starter Edition Information

You can join a GAF guild here. It's on the Area 52 server and it's horde. You'd be free to join, you'd just need to contact someone in that thread and have them invite you ingame but if you're playing free to play you won't be able to join until you sub.

My advice would be to play the starter edition for a couple weeks or more see if it holds your interest then decide later on. Don't rush into subbing for a year if you're not sure you'll be staying.

Shrennin

The free to play thing has the same limits as before.
Wow Started Edition Information

You can join a GAF guild here. It's on the Area 52 server and it's horde. You'd be free to join, you'd just need to contact someone in that thread and have them invite you ingame but if you're playing free to play you won't be able to join until you sub.

My advice would be to play the starter edition for a couple weeks or more see if it holds your interest then decide later on. Don't rush into subbing for a year if you're not sure you'll be staying.

Thanks. I'll definitely create a character on Area 52 just in case. I always play Horde so the fact that it's a Horde guild makes it better. Kinda stinks that the free to play has the same limits as before, although I know why they do it so I can't really complain.

Thanks. I'll definitely create a character on Area 52 just in case. I always play Horde so the fact that it's a Horde guild makes it better. Kinda stinks that the free to play has the same limits as before, although I know why they do it so I can't really complain.

They were just selling vanilla WoW for like 10 bucks (not sure if it's still going). Probably could have just went for that.

Can't join a guild or initiate a whisper as a stater edition.

WoW and Burning Crusade with a free month is 5$ right now.

Deal ends in 30 minutes.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4054270/Give_the_Gift_of_Warcraft-12_6_2011

I'd just buy it.

Or you could just take this awesome deal right here.

Shrennin

I already have an account or else I would have hopped on those deals. Thanks for the heads up in case I hadn't though. :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Everything for 35$ is so good.

I was thinking about buying a second account but I don't think I'd ever multibox or want to pay for a second sub.

Shrennin

Just realized that my account can't be used for a free trial. I may just buy one month because I know the game and I'll at least have that much interest. I'll know if my interest will stay after that one month though (if I'm getting bored of it by then, then I know to quit the game).

thatbox

Banned
Aah, my casual-core 10 man guild has finally got to ultraxion.

Such a brutal gear check..!

If you started out 3-healing, you should switch to 2-healing. With an extra DPS you should be finishing the fight before you hit the ohgodohgodohgod final stage of AoE damage, and before that stage you don't need three healers anyway.
Just realized that my account can't be used for a free trial. I may just buy one month because I know the game and I'll at least have that much interest. I'll know if my interest will stay after that one month though (if I'm getting bored of it by then, then I know to quit the game).

If you've been out for (I think) three months or longer, you can receive a Scroll of Resurrection, which is ten days of play time. PM me your WoW account email, or someone else here, and you'll be hooked up.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you don't want to PM someone your email, a character name and server works. I don't use my wow email for anything but my car insurance.

Yoshichan

Decided to take a break from my stone... and relax at the sun in Stranglethorn ♥

Angry Grimace

I will say I did get a kick out of TOR when I walked up to a guy, and instead of quest text, he started a conversation with me that I was actually participating in. Otherwise, it's REALLY similar to WoW in space.

The best thing you use Starter Edition for is to make your own raids with Level 10 paladins or whatever that you put on the Starter Account.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I will say I did get a kick out of TOR when I walked up to a guy, and instead of quest text, he started a conversation with me that I was actually participating in. Otherwise, it's REALLY similar to WoW in space.

The best thing you use Starter Edition for is to make your own raids with Level 10 paladins or whatever that you put on the Starter Account.
Took me an hour and half to get to level 10 using my main as a flying mount and having it kill everything. Low mob XP, but shit.

th3dude

Is there any way to view RealId friends and their characters on battle.net without adding each individual character as a friend? Kinda defeats the purpose.

thatbox

Banned
Is there any way to view RealId friends and their characters on battle.net without adding each individual character as a friend? Kinda defeats the purpose.

That's exactly how RealID is supposed to work. Once you have someone RealID friended, they show up on your friends list on any character, even if it's not specifically added (or even on your server/faction). Might be bugged if you aren't seeing that.

Number45

I'm not sure what you mean. I have a RL friend on RealID and I see him regardless of who he's playing as or what realm he's on.

th3dude

Sorry if I didn't explain what I meant. I mean on my battle.net profile through the browser.

From there, I have a 'Friends' list. However, that list only lists character-added friends, none of my RealId friends characters are there.

idlewild_

Sorry if I didn't explain what I meant. I mean on my battle.net profile through the browser.

From there, I have a 'Friends' list. However, that list only lists character-added friends, none of my RealId friends characters are there.

RealID friends showed up by default on my 'Friends' pane for me. Maybe you have some mod or some setting in the interface changed that is interfering with this?

Top Bottom