• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Loto

I run the new heroics every time a satchel is up for healer and I've had so many people run into the beams between the mobs on the Sylvanas fight. Other notable stories is a boomkin who was doing 2K DPS, no joke, and when asked how he was doing such shitty DPS he explained that he wasn't a "virgin nerd" and had a life.

Even with groups who constantly put out poor dps or tanking I'm able to just overheal the group so easy that it's just a case of smashing your head against the wall until you're done. The pets from the satchels are nice though, so far I've gotten a Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot, Mulgore Hatchling, Sen'jin Fetish, Firefly.

You get pets? I have just gotten gold and gems...

Took 6 new heroics to get my iLevel to 372 for the raid finder. Including tank gear. Now queued up as DPS, we'll see how this goes.

And I know you guys said the new heroics were easy, but they're really fucking easy. Hardest mechanic I've seen is the Sylvanas one with the ghouls.

No joke, I wasn't paying attention and ended up tanking the entirety of End Time in my healing gear on my Paladin yesterday. I realized this only after closely looking at my avatar after the trash for Murozond was dead. I saw that no one had called me out on it, said fuckit and attempted Murozond in the same gear. Cleared it no problem. I had 138k health, 5% dodge, 5% parry and 25% block.

Yeah, the soulroics are pretty easy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Took 6 new heroics to get my iLevel to 372 for the raid finder. Including tank gear. Now queued up as DPS, we'll see how this goes.

And I know you guys said the new heroics were easy, but they're really fucking easy. Hardest mechanic I've seen is the Sylvanas one with the ghouls.

Yeah, their difficulty is nothing compared to what the other cata heroics were on their release day.

On the plus side, my mage only get to wait 8-10 mins instead of 30-40. I'd rather have that than hard heroics.

th3dude

Cleared the first 4 bosses in the LFR tool last night.

Was my first raiding experience ever. My primary spec is Pally tank but decided I'd better DPS these things first. Was a pretty cool experience.

My only complaint is that I have little chance of getting tank gear from LFR unless I'm actually tanking, but I don't have the nerve to tank them yet.

idlewild_

Cleared the first 4 bosses in the LFR tool last night.

Was my first raiding experience ever. My primary spec is Pally tank but decided I'd better DPS these things first. Was a pretty cool experience.

My only complaint is that I have little chance of getting tank gear from LFR unless I'm actually tanking, but I don't have the nerve to tank them yet.

depends, tier pieces you can roll on just fine and trade them in for tank pieces instead of dps ones. also, since there are only 2 tanks, there's a greater chance that neither of them needs a piece and you can scoop it up without the roll bonus.

Yeah, their difficulty is nothing compared to what the other cata heroics were on their release day.

On the plus side, my mage only get to wait 8-10 mins instead of 30-40. I'd rather have that than hard heroics.

Totally. Waits were only 6-8 minutes or so queueing as DPS after I unlocked all of them. It was a little longer when I still had to do the first one.

And I know about the difficulty gap for sure. I was doing the original Cata heroics pre-nerfs within the first week of launch and finished the Meta achieve within about a month. Shit was no joke at times, even with a pre-made group.

One thing being the amount of trash in Deadmines is laughable now compared to what it was.

Oh, also of note, I got "the Seeker" title sort of randomly last night after turning in one of the breadcrumb quests in the new heroics. Always liked that title, so currently rocking it out. Was wearing Starcaller since I had just gotten that, but otherwise I usually go with "the Exalted" or "Twilight Vanquisher". The latter I like for being one of the few that goes before your name rather than after.

But now that I've seen pretty much everything 4.3 has to offer (new heroics, Darkmoon Faire, transmog, Dragon Soul/LFR), I'm kind of disappointed. There really isn't that much there in the end, and I don't like Dragon Soul. It's an underwhelming raid. I'll at least get my druid in the GAF guild to 85, but after that, I'm probably going dormant until another content patch or MoP. Without the connections/desire to raid much right now (even though it IS my favorite thing in the game), I've wrung pretty much all I can out of WoW. Even if it took over 2000 hours (probably over 3000).

So I'm basically selling Inferno Rubies as fast as I can cut them and post them on the AH right now. Just got a x5 proc from Xmuting them though. That's basically 2k extra gold, free. 2 other x2 procs in the same batch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Still standing on that rock btw...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm nearing level 80 on my pally healer and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what to expect with cata normals compared to wotlk normals.
I'd assume I'd have to quest a bit to try and replace a lot of my current gear given I'd be in sub 180 gear. I'm curious what the transition would be like.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aaand 12 hours on this rock today :D! You guys are missing out!

ZN9PA.jpg

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I've tried looking for an answer to this but can't find one.

Grid, when I'm in bgs I'm not seeing health loss till I'm in range of someone. With Blizzard's raid frames it'll show everyone losing health regardless of how close you are to them, grid doesn't do this. It just shows their health being full till I get in range.
Anyone know of a solution to this? I've only started using it.

I've tried looking for an answer to this but can't find one.

Grid, when I'm in bgs I'm not seeing health loss till I'm in range of someone. With Blizzard's raid frames it'll show everyone losing health regardless of how close you are to them, grid doesn't do this. It just shows their health being full till I get in range.
Anyone know of a solution to this? I've only started using it.

Check a setting somewhere?

I'm not completely certain, but I'm fairly sure it works properly for me. I'll check next time I'm on.

Yoshichan

Hey I came by and waved ;p
It's Mal'ganis, you can't expect me to see that! You need to say something (I filter everything else away) ;_;

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Check a setting somewhere?

I'm not completely certain, but I'm fairly sure it works properly for me. I'll check next time I'm on.

Fixed it. :) I did try and look through every single option but I honestly didn't know what I was looking for exactly and didn't have a heck of a lot of time on my hands.
Went on just now and while stuffing about reset my grid settings and that fixed whatever I turned off.
Also dinged 80 while checking grid out in wsg, I played a blinder so I'm happy. ;)

Learning to live on Mal'ganis: Make a separate chat channel for Trade, General and Defense. Leave say, party and guild for your main window. It will make life easier.

I've visited you on two characters now. You weren't there for one.

Fularu

Banned
Just came back to the game. Now to annoy the fuck out of Dimmy and Corn :D

Edit : wow Kresh is back!

Edit 2 : damn looks like corn quit :(

Mairu

I hit item level 372 ten hours after dinging 85. Not much of an effort to be ready to raid anymore...

This is the truth and while it may be great for the short term considering this is the last big content patch for the expansion the content seems like it's going to get stale very fast ;|

th3dude

I hit item level 372 ten hours after dinging 85. Not much of an effort to be ready to raid anymore...

Definitely. I'm a pretty new player still and it was nice to see that I could be LFR ready easily. Although I do understand the frustration with the difficulty in the new dungeons.

This is the truth and while it may be great for the short term considering this is the last big content patch for the expansion the content seems like it's going to get stale very fast ;|

For sure. I'll do it once or twice on Raid Finder for fun, but after that, why would I spend hours and hours to grind the real versions, only to get the same loot with slightly higher numbers and which doesn't have the RF tag of shame?

Then again, it will be nice to actually finish the content for once.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think they're hoping people that are getting Raid Finder loot will actually try to attempt heroic modes since they are actually challenging and maybe people want to have a challenge rather than beating a loot pinata week after week.

just a guess. but their plan will fail. no one will care.

Alex

I think raiding is finally sputtering out in general across the genre. It's just such a rough, rigid thing to impose upon people nowadays. No offense to the folks who dig it, I just think it's finally becoming antiqued to the general populace.

Numbers are dropping and folks are basically being bribed into the content with quick rewards and easy sight seeing but I think in the end that'll just make it taper off faster, we'll see. It could either make people pick up back into normal/heroic for some challenge or it could make folks just say "I've seen it already, why join a guild and make an obnoxious schedule". I really think a lot of people are raiding because it's all you can really do as opposed to wanting to.

Upcoming stuff like The Old Republic which thinks it's going to follow that same kind of traditional raid game like EQ, WoW and the rest of the traditional MMOs is just going to be more hurt by it, I think. At least WoW has a community and established base for it but I do think it's the last of this standard type.

It's weird to me to watch big franchises squandered on such old school methodology. You'd figure things like Star Wars, Final Fantasty, etc, would be more flashy and sandboxy and broader in appeal but they always cap off in the same way. And considering how resource hungry it is (something I'm betting Titan tries to fix) it's a weird thing to be so gung ho about.

I think raiding is finally sputtering out in general across the genre. It's just such a rough, rigid thing to impose upon people nowadays. No offense to the folks who dig it, I just think it's finally becoming antiqued to the general populace.

Numbers are dropping and folks are basically being bribed into the content with quick rewards and easy sight seeing but I think in the end that'll just make it taper off faster, we'll see. It could either make people pick up back into normal/heroic for some challenge or it could make folks just say "I've seen it already, why join a guild and make an obnoxious schedule". I really think a lot of people are raiding because it's all you can really do as opposed to wanting to.

Upcoming stuff like The Old Republic which thinks it's going to follow that same kind of traditional raid game like EQ, WoW and the rest of the traditional MMOs is just going to be more hurt by it, I think. At least WoW has a community and established base for it but I do think it's the last of this standard type.

It's weird to me to watch big franchises squandered on such old school methodology. You'd figure things like Star Wars, Final Fantasty, etc, would be more flashy and sandboxy and broader in appeal but they always cap off in the same way. And considering how resource hungry it is (something I'm betting Titan tries to fix) it's a weird thing to be so gung ho about.

As it stands, sure. Raiding could use innovation. It doesn't help when the raids are uninspired though. We've been over this before (mostly), but I might expand on this later (have to run for a bit now.)

But Dragon Soul simply isn't a very good raid. Raids are more about the epic scale of the locale than anything else to me, and Dragon Soul, being linear, recycled content is awful.

The feeling of delving into a stronghold so dangerous that I couldn't survive without 9 or 24 other people with me. ICC, Ulduar, Black Temple accomplish this. Dragon Soul does not.

Honestly the boss mechanics are probably secondary to the atmosphere for me. The atmosphere is what differentiates a raid from a dungeon to me.

th3dude

Pretty easy, actually. Running the new Twilight Heroic dungeons will earn you both Justice Points and Valor points as well as loot.

Boss loot and justice point gear are iLvl 378 and Valor Point gear is iLvl 397.

Doesn't take many runs to get your gear up.

Number45

Pretty easy, actually. Running the new Twilight Heroic dungeons will earn you both Justice Points and Valor points as well as loot.

Boss loot and justice point gear are iLvl 378 and Valor Point gear is iLvl 397.

Doesn't take many runs to get your gear up.

I've not even managed to get to the troll heroics yet, but then I've been wasting all of my JP on heirlooms.

Hmm. Made something like 14,000 gold between today and yesterday mostly selling gems. That's revenue though - I think I may have spent as much as 5k or 6k on mats. Still have thousands worth of enchantments to sell (a ton more gems too.) Server isn't populous enough to move all of it at once though.

Just checking now, I have something like 40k more in auctions up. At least about 35k of that would be profit. Enchants really have a slow sell-through though, especially when they cost hundreds or thousands of gold. Some asshole tipped me only 10g the other day for one of the good bracer (world drop) enchants - couldn't be bothered at the time to enforce him paying me more though.

Today I've sold 14 Reckless Ember Topaz. Really good money off those going for 170g or so a pop. AH price for uncut Ember Topaz is ~35g each. So I ended up buying a stack of those to supplement my already large store. Might buy more, but I'm trying to avoid making large investments since I still want to break the 100k mark. Even when the profit margin (today) on those Topazes would be 2400g a stack, the initial upfront investment is still fairly large - it might take 2 weeks to sell that many cut gems normally.

th3dude

I've not even managed to get to the troll heroics yet, but then I've been wasting all of my JP on heirlooms.

I actually managed to skip these entirely and not really on purpose.

Hmm. Made something like 14,000 gold between today and yesterday mostly selling gems. That's revenue though - I think I may have spent as much as 5k or 6k on mats. Still have thousands worth of enchantments to sell (a ton more gems too.) Server isn't populous enough to move all of it at once though.

Just checking now, I have something like 40k more in auctions up. At least about 35k of that would be profit. Enchants really have a slow sell-through though, especially when they cost hundreds or thousands of gold. Some asshole tipped me only 10g the other day for one of the good bracer (world drop) enchants - couldn't be bothered at the time to enforce him paying me more though.

Today I've sold 14 Reckless Ember Topaz. Really good money off those going for 170g or so a pop. AH price for uncut Ember Topaz is ~35g each. So I ended up buying a stack of those to supplement my already large store. Might buy more, but I'm trying to avoid making large investments since I still want to break the 100k mark. Even when the profit margin (today) on those Topazes would be 2400g a stack, the initial upfront investment is still fairly large - it might take 2 weeks to sell that many cut gems normally.

Damn. I need to get into that business.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I agree in a sense and disagree in a sense.

I also think WoW is making some effort to break away from the raid model in MoP but we'll see how it works. I think it's not that raiding is boring, it's that the model itself taking up actual pre-assigned blocks of players's time just becomes less and less attractive as single player and even WoW itself evolve (i.e. LFR). I'm not saying LFR is some kind of solution; it is what it is. But there's definietely a market for what it's doing; making that raid model which has an inherently fun component accessible on less than a pre-dedicated chunk of your time within a guild.

Miletius

I also think that a lot of people look at Sandbox style MMO's like Galaxies and UO and have a bit of rose colored glasses syndrome. Both were good for what they were but they were mostly replaced by the current generation of what we call "theme-park" MMO's. It stands to reason that players preferred this model to them. Ideally we'd have a game where you could do either, but given the choice between one or the other players firmly chose this model over that one.

One thing I disagree with though is that innovation nessecarily has to come in the form of another MMO like Titan. I think WoW is perfectly capable of innovating on their own within their own engine. I just don't think there was any incentive to do so until the raid game became unpopular enough that they started to lose people.

Honestly after 7 years my biggest surprise (and beef) with WoW is that I still don't have a house to put all my doodads in. Transmog is a great system but it just makes me wonder what if there were incentive to go out into the world and kill or craft so that you could have furniture items, kitch wall paintings or even just doodads from the various bads you put down. TOR is making the same mistake as WoW is -- why is this not a huge priority for either company is beyond me. Hell, even the "lame" PG MMO I played with my GF over the summer(Wizard 101) had it.

I also think that a lot of people look at Sandbox style MMO's like Galaxies and UO and have a bit of rose colored glasses syndrome. Both were good for what they were but they were mostly replaced by the current generation of what we call "theme-park" MMO's. It stands to reason that players preferred this model to them. Ideally we'd have a game where you could do either, but given the choice between one or the other players firmly chose this model over that one.

One thing I disagree with though is that innovation nessecarily has to come in the form of another MMO like Titan. I think WoW is perfectly capable of innovating on their own within their own engine. I just don't think there was any incentive to do so until the raid game became unpopular enough that they started to lose people.

Honestly after 7 years my biggest surprise (and beef) with WoW is that I still don't have a house to put all my doodads in. Transmog is a great system but it just makes me wonder what if there were incentive to go out into the world and kill or craft so that you could have furniture items, kitch wall paintings or even just doodads from the various bads you put down.

I definitely think there is room within WoW for a lot of improvement. I just don't think we'll necessarily see it. The A-Team that put together Vanilla, Burning Crusade, at I think at least part of Wrath has moved on for the most part (quite a few of the leads at least).

As cynical as it is, they probably want to squeeze as much money out of people for as little effort on their part.

And even though WoW's engine has been upgraded, you'd need a completely new game as a platform if you wanted to make a radical departure and really experiment with new things.

There are some things that are simply impossible to do with an older system in place, or are significantly easier when built from the ground up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Honestly after 7 years my biggest surprise (and beef) with WoW is that I still don't have a house to put all my doodads in. Transmog is a great system but it just makes me wonder what if there were incentive to go out into the world and kill or craft so that you could have furniture items, kitch wall paintings or even just doodads from the various bads you put down. TOR is making the same mistake as WoW is -- why is this not a huge priority for either company is beyond me. Hell, even the "lame" PG MMO I played with my GF over the summer(Wizard 101) had it.
I laugh when people reference Titan because nobody knows what Titan is at all.

I feel fairly confident in saying it's not going to be WoW-2.

Miletius

I definitely think there is room within WoW for a lot of improvement. I just don't think we'll necessarily see it. The A-Team that put together Vanilla, Burning Crusade, at I think at least part of Wrath has moved on for the most part (quite a few of the leads at least).

As cynical as it is, they probably want to squeeze as much money out of people for as little effort on their part.

And even though WoW's engine has been upgraded, you'd need a completely new game as a platform if you wanted to make a radical departure and really experiment with new things.

There are some things that are simply impossible to do with an older system in place, or are significantly easier when built from the ground up.

I honestly just think that Blizzard (or really any MMO company) just doesn't have much of an idea of what the next big thing is in this space, or even if there is a new thing. It isn't cynical for them to want your money, they still have to compete for it and if you make the choice to pay them then I would posit that they earned that money.

That being said the notion that they are trying to push with Pandaria ( do what you want, when you want, when you login) is nice and I support measures towards that end. Since, however, that notion is subjective, it'll be hard for me to envision them really capturing it the way I would like it to be captured.

I wonder that if at some point, after WoW is dead and gone they would consider opening up the code and letting modders have at it. That would be a pretty amazing thing to be able to experiment with. I know that some people do it now against the ToS but because it's not open there are limits to what you can do with it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
WoW can be improved but it, Star Wars, and I bet Titan cannot innovate the MMO genre in a way that would spark a WoW 2.

I have some ideas, but, yeah, the genre needs the kind of innovation that might not exist as a thought yet.

In the mean time, I'm not saying Star Wars, Titan, etc. wont be successful.

idlewild_

I honestly just think that Blizzard (or really any MMO company) just doesn't have much of an idea of what the next big thing is in this space, or even if there is a new thing. It isn't cynical for them to want your money, they still have to compete for it and if you make the choice to pay them then I would posit that they earned that money.

Several developers have said that one the biggest hurdles they hope to overcome in future MMOs is removing the server 'barrier' in some form. Blizzard has started trying to do that with b.net 2.0 allowing you to chat and group with friends from other realms, and the lfd/lfr/bg allowing you to do group related activities with other realms. The hard part is being able to play with anyone, anywhere at anytime, I think Maple Story
lol
did a decent job of this by letting you swap servers in-game very quickly/easily, but I'm not sure how that would translate to WoW.

About getting gear quickly: as soon as I dinged 85 I took all the metals I've been gathering (I got a bunch of xp from 81-85 just by mining) and dumped them on my blacksmith and made the Vicious PVP plate set. It has been bumped to item level 377 so that's eight pieces done. I bought a 358 trinket that had a cool effect (Fury of Angerforge), ran a few heroics to get 700 points for a level 390-something relic and some other points for 378 neck and ring, and completed the set with a few drops from the heroics. Then I mined another bunch of metals, combined with some truegold and chaos orbs I had on my old main (chaos orbs are mailable now), and had the crafted 2H sword done.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
WoW is a great, fantastic game. I played it for years, going back all the way from beta up til about a year ago. It is probably my most played game to this day. I love the art style, I love the music. I raided. I played BG's. I did arenas. I leveled alts of every class to at least the mid 40's. I can honestly say I love the game.

But it got tiring. It got repetitive. After a few expansions, the constant grind of playing to replace gear began to sink in and make my play time (for new goals) seem trivialized. Raiding became a night job that I had to spend countless hours preparing for. I scheduled real life things around the game. I blew off friends just for the chance to get that last piece of warlock T3 gear. The game became a grind with an ever retreating carrot on a stick.

A few things they have done recently are things I've been hearing people beg for years now. LFR, allowing people to raid when they want to just as easily as queuing up for a battleground, that should have happened two expansions ago. Transmogrification, allowing people to keep the look of the gear they have worked so damn hard for and love, but yet "improve" that gear to be current, that should have been done years ago too. How many hard earned Thunderfurys have been sold to vendors because they were long worthless now? Armor dyes, player housing, trophy rooms, dance studio, new vanilla character models, there are still things people have been begging about for years that aren't in game yet.

WoW does alot right, but it has stagnated in it's own rut for way too long. Something we strive for here at work is continual improvement. WoW has mostly just been phoning its work in lately. It's gotten complacent with itself. It hasn't truly innovated much of anything for some time now. Yes, it's still a good game, but it's still the SAME good game that we have been playing for over half a decade now. There have been little steps of improvements made, but not enough to revitalize the game. It's become stagnant.

The problem with so many new MMO's that I look at is that they try so hard to emulate WoW that they shoot themselves in the foot before they even get out of the gate. People who play WoW don't want a different looking WoW, they want a different game. WoW does WoW so good, new MMO's need to do something different just as good in order to succeed in a huge way. Sure, many other MMO's do just fine with a small fraction of the WoW player base, and that's cool, but there is an entire audience there just waiting to be tapped. There is a huge segment of WoW players who simply keep playing, because they haven't found a worthwhile alternative yet. Something different done right.

It wouldn't take much innovation or execution for WoW to truly revitalize their game and playerbase. If they don't, then eventually someone else will take steal their thunder. It's inevitable.

TheYanger

Why would they innovate in wow when they can do it in Titan? Constantly changing what wow is about probably costs them more subs than it gains. I think if you compared the systems in the game today to what was in at launch you'd be plenty surprised at how different it is, I think they innovate plenty. The base combat is where WoW (and ToR) is stuck in the past, and that's not something they're going to be able to overhaul, nor should they.

Everything ELSE in the game? Has changed drastically over time almost universally for the better. The game is just old, nothing wrong with that. Objectively I don't think it's any 'worse' today than it ever was, it's just more transparent because we've done it before.

Garryk

I snagged a Guardian Cub off of the AH last night for 3k. It was weird considering they are usually 6k-10k on my server with competition, but this was the only one on there.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I snagged a Guardian Cub off of the AH last night for 3k. It was weird considering they are usually 6k-10k on my server with competition, but this was the only one on there.
I bet that guy has been undercut for weeks and just wanted to get rid of it. lol.

Rokam

I visited your rock yesterday Yoshi, you spotted me and I promptly fell down into a hole behind a bunch of rocks under the waterfall and had to hearth out. I hate your rock.

Tamanon

Banned
I hate Ret v Holy 1-on-1 in a BG. I was facing off against a level 78 holy pally on my ret for so long that I got the Damage Control achievement(300k damage) just from him and I fighting for about 15 minutes....:/

Angry Grimace

Why would they innovate in wow when they can do it in Titan? Constantly changing what wow is about probably costs them more subs than it gains. I think if you compared the systems in the game today to what was in at launch you'd be plenty surprised at how different it is, I think they innovate plenty. The base combat is where WoW (and ToR) is stuck in the past, and that's not something they're going to be able to overhaul, nor should they.

Everything ELSE in the game? Has changed drastically over time almost universally for the better. The game is just old, nothing wrong with that. Objectively I don't think it's any 'worse' today than it ever was, it's just more transparent because we've done it before.

As with most comments about the sub numbers; I think that's speculation. If they had changed nothing from TBC to now, we'd just be guessing how many people would be playing, but I doubt it'd be all that high. For all we know (and frankly, Blizzard has a better reason to know than we do), changing various things about the game all the time is what's slowing the bleed.

I agree with the rest of this though.

Newfolder

Neo Member
The new twilight heroics are just damn good, the raid finder is just damn amazing, and the DS raids are very nice :eek:

Blizzard did great job with this patch. Yes, it is easier. It is also much more fun and less time to wait in que is always plus.

Top Bottom