• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Rokal

Wait till Warmaster on 10 man, such a broken fight.

Ultraxion 10 - If you can end the fight by the 5 minute mark, it's much easier. That's why people often recommend 2-healing it. I joined another guild's pug this weekend that hadn't beaten the fight before, and they just didn't have the dps to finish before the 5-minute mark even with a healer switching. Reason being: they had a mage doing 16k dps, and their healers were poor in their dps off-specs as well..

I think the chances of successfully 2-healing past the 5-minute are slim, so I'd say stick with 3 healers unless you've got good dps (and your healer wouldn't be useless if they switched to dps). Pretty easy to do the math based on what % he is at 5-minutes, and how much dps your healer can put out. We did eventually kill him, getting fairly close to the enrage timer but being able to brute force the healing with 3.

As for blackhorn, we had a lot of people who sucked at dodging shockwave. Our solution was to not dps Blackhorn at all until Gariona had left. This way, blackhorn does not gain vengeance stacks, so shockwave and shout will not be lethal if they do hit someone. Once gariona has left and you're not getting voids anymore, people are usually a bit better at dodging shockwaves. The downside to this obviously is that you've got melee dps (like my rogue) doing absolutely nothing for 30-40 seconds. There is no enrage timer on the fight, so it's only an annoyance and not a liability.

Jrmint

There's a soft enrage due to him gaining vengeance.

We honestly have more issues with P1. Everything has to be executed to perfection to get through it, and in comparison it's a joke in 25 man.

th3dude

RealID friends showed up by default on my 'Friends' pane for me. Maybe you have some mod or some setting in the interface changed that is interfering with this?

Remember: I'm talking about the battle.net website. Not in game. I like to browse my profile and see what my friends are up to when I can't get on and play. The web based profile shows character friends but no real I'd friends.

Edit: Just on PvP is there a reason that my record for BG's has become so out of whack? The win rates are just way off (we easily win over 50% of our BG's but in our record we have like a 30-40% win rate) and then when you look down at individual BG's the number don't add up.

However on my low level characters the numbers seem fine. I'm just wondering if something happened that would have caused this (not that i care about it i'm just curious).

I can't remember the last time I did a BG (probably before Cata shipped) :p

Well you haven't missed much, everything is pretty much the same (lol pvp content).

Kind of sad really, as Twin Peaks is superior to WSG, but it's only accessible at 85. Battle for Gilneas is easily passable though, being AB with only 3 nodes and no terrain.

Twin peaks may be better but it's so similar to WSG that it's hard to really count it as new content.

The only real big new thing pvp got this expansion is tol barad and well, LOL.

Twin peaks may be better but it's so similar to WSG that it's hard to really count it as new content.

The only real big new thing pvp got this expansion is tol barad and well, LOL.

Woah, woah, woah. I worked hard for my honor gear, standing on a bridge and all.

Yeah, Twin Peaks is two flag CTF, but the design of the bases (with better entrances/exits) and the river (and bridge as a choke point) especially make it much more enjoyable to play on.

It's nicer to look at than WSG too - it's not just a mess of green.

Woah, woah, woah. I worked hard for my honor gear, standing on a bridge and all.

Yeah, Twin Peaks is two flag CTF, but the design of the bases (with better entrances/exits) and the river (and bridge as a choke point) especially make it much more enjoyable to play on.

It's nicer to look at than WSG too - it's not just a mess of green.

I completely agree with you. I just think it's kind of a sad state when the best addition to PvP this expansion is just a re skin of an old BG.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Y U NO DROP 2-HANDED WEAPONS DS BOSSES!?!

Oh well, we still have DW left for this week. Maybe he'll be a cool dude and drop the sword.

It's literally absurd how much money JCing is printing for me right now. Enchanting to a lesser extent, mainly because scrolls will be more expensive, so moving them is hard, and people are much more likely to buy mats (or use ones gotten during a dungeon run) themselves, and find a live enchanter who will do it for free/cheap.

The disenchant roll definitely messed with the enchanting economy. Same as the guild cauldrons (to some extent) killed the flask economy. At least health/mana potions don't drop like candy off mobs in Cataclysm as they used to in older areas, but they're a much harder sell to the average player. Raiders who would want them (or the burst damage potions) can probably get them in-guild too. Transmutation really is the last branch of alchemy profitability.

But back to JC - I just check the AH for any cheap mats or prices, as well as sitting there crafting - total time maybe 15 minutes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and usually at least one other day, and I still make gobs of money. I don't even bother relisting more than once per day. If I was more competitive, and the server more populated, I'm sure I could make even more, especially with all the liquid capital I have.

This is keeping a decent amount of materials on me at all times too. I'm sure if I liquidated all the various items I have saved that would be most likely to fluctuate for whatever reason, that would easily be another 20k-30k gold, at least. I know I have almost a full stack of truegold somewhere, for example. I probably will get rid of a bunch of stuff in the next week or so as well, since I intend to let my subscription lapse going into the new year.

Number45

Remember: I'm talking about the battle.net website. Not in game. I like to browse my profile and see what my friends are up to when I can't get on and play. The web based profile shows character friends but no real I'd friends.

I can't even find my profile page on the battle.net website.

BlueCrest

Hello, everyone I've been meaning to get back into WoW, took a break about a month into cataclysm, and I've begun getting that WoW itch, wasn't able to do any heroics, I was able to level a Blood Elf warrior up to 85, pretty fun experience, nothing beats the mobility that warriors have, tried other tanking classes but they weren't as fun as that. Anyone could hook me up with a Scroll of Res, would like to see the changes with the LFR, and check the heroics before resubscribing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Hello, everyone I've been meaning to get back into WoW, took a break about a month into cataclysm, and I've begun getting that WoW itch, wasn't able to do any heroics, I was able to level a Blood Elf warrior up to 85, pretty fun experience, nothing beats the mobility that warriors have, tried other tanking classes but they weren't as fun as that. Anyone could hook me up with a Scroll of Res, would like to see the changes with the LFR, and check the heroics before resubscribing.
sure, sent you a pm

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did that Korean guild that downed H-Madness release a video showing if anything interesting happens in that encounter yet?

Did that Korean guild that downed H-Madness release a video showing if anything interesting happens in that encounter yet?

They said they'll release it after another guild downs it. But I'm almost certain that there's nothing extra, like Rag's fourth phase. Just sheer more difficult mechanics. They actually said it was easier than Spine, which is kind of disappointing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They said they'll release it after another guild downs it. But I'm almost certain that there's nothing extra, like Rag's fourth phase. Just sheer more difficult mechanics. They actually said it was easier than Spine, which is kind of disappointing.

It's not disappointing unless you're the type to care about things you aren't doing.

I'm just amazed at the number of people who actually want encounters to be designed so brutally difficult that nobody can do them. If the encounter is actually possible in any real sense, you have to understand that these high end, raid for 100 hours a week types will just do them because they're essentially flesh-clothed robots. These guilds are insanely good AND put in insane amounts of time on the encounters.

Rokal

I think it's reasonable to be disappointed that boss 7 is harder than boss 8, regardless of whether that's the type of content you're capable of doing. The last boss of a zone/of an expansion, should be harder than the boss that comes before it. If Spine is the hardest fight in H DS, guilds celebrate when they reach the level to down it and the fight that is actually last becomes anti-climactic.

I'd be disappointed if Spine was harder than Madness on normal mode for the same reason (but I don't think it is).

Meatfist

Their balancing of the spine fight seems pretty inconsistent across different difficulties.

Heroic-Mathematically Impossible, harder than madness

Normal- Pretty Easy

LFR- lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God... Mal'Ganis... so good.

yanhero

Dragon Soul is really melee-favored. I can't stand tiers where no matter how well I play I'll be 4k dps behind melee. Ugh.

It's not that bad. Yorsahj, Hagara, Ultraxion, Spine, Madness are all fine for casters, especially if you are a mage. And Morchok is only favourable to rogues, the other melee get screwed harder than casters.

Dragon Soul is really melee-favored. I can't stand tiers where no matter how well I play I'll be 4k dps behind melee. Ugh.

Generally it's the other way around, so...

dealwithit.gif

:p

(General Vezax is a favorite of mine.) Festergut is another that comes to mind.

Really it ends up balancing okay, maybe just not on an individual tier basis.

Generally it's the other way around, so...

dealwithit.gif

:p

(General Vezax is a favorite of mine.) Festergut is another that comes to mind.

Really it ends up balancing okay, maybe just not on an individual tier basis.

Maybe it works out, especially in some of the later heroics there may be fights where ranged win. It doesn't matter really, I just enjoy being one of the top DPS in the guild and when I can't do that it's frustrating. It is a little amusing that they buffed melee because of fight mechanics and then didn't add any fight mechanics that screw over melee in the current raid.

Part of it is definitely the RNG of fire mage specs also. It was pretty frustrating in BWL/BOT for the same reason.

In other news, what's up with the mount that drops off normal Deathwing? Wowhead says it's a low drop % but we're having a hard time believing that since it's dropped on 3 of our 4 kills.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yay! Got my off-hand so I can finally accompany it with my weapon :)!

6iwMH.png

Rokal

This is the post where I'm sad that MoP still won't let casters use their weapons for casting animations. Best innovation in Rift.

BlueCrest

Been gearing my warrior, the dungeons seem noticeably easier than when Cataclysm first released, I even done some heroics, and the difficulty is minimal, don't even bother ccing even though my health is about the same as some DPS around 140k.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Been gearing my warrior, the dungeons seem noticeably easier than when Cataclysm first released, I even done some heroics, and the difficulty is minimal, don't even bother ccing even though my health is about the same as some DPS around 140k.

They did nerfed all heroics since their release. Then you have the class buffs and better overall gear for everyone.

Einchy

Part of it is definitely the RNG of fire mage specs also. It was pretty frustrating in BWL/BOT for the same reason.

Have you seen World of Logs lately for Fire Mages? There's no reason a melee should be out DPSing you in almost any of the fights.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/dps/

They did nerfed all heroics since their release. Then you have the class buffs and better overall gear for everyone.

And the 10 percent buff to Luck of the Draw. I believe it used to be only 5 percent.

Yoshichan

2005 breakpoint

Hell, it's about (fucking) time

Bisnic

Speaking of fire mages, i love mine! Such nice dps numbers and without the ridiculously simple 1 spell spamming of arcane mages. Even nicer when Pyroblast! procs a lot.

About Combustion though, when is it really a good time to use it? I know it should only be used when all your fire dots are on the target, but do i have to do some shit like renewing living blast or not use combustion when you only have 1 sec left of ignite for the best damage?

idlewild_

Have you seen World of Logs lately for Fire Mages? There's no reason a melee should be out DPSing you in almost any of the fights.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Dragon_Soul/dps/

I would be very careful when looking at those numbers, almost all entries in the top 200 are from bugged logs (or LFR in the case of 25man normal.) That's not to say that fire mages are not one of the best specs in DS, just that the numbers shown there are not accurate.

Also, rogues are ridiculous. My alt rogue has about half a tier lower ilvl, has cheaper enchants/gems on some of it's gear, and I have a lot less experience with it and it is still almost keeping up with my main (hunter) on most fights, and even surpassing it on several.

th3dude

Starting a casual-friendly guild with a friend of mine. Very excited and hopefully we can find some like-minded players to join.

We are looking to have raids and organized things maybe once every 1-2 weeks, nothing big. Haven't been able to find a guild that fits those needs so we are going to do it ourselves.

We are on Zuluhed if any of you are interested :)

Speaking of fire mages, i love mine! Such nice dps numbers and without the ridiculously simple 1 spell spamming of arcane mages. Even nicer when Pyroblast! procs a lot.

About Combustion though, when is it really a good time to use it? I know it should only be used when all your fire dots are on the target, but do i have to do some shit like renewing living blast or not use combustion when you only have 1 sec left of ignite for the best damage?

My only level 85 is a melee. Recently started a fire mage (level 21 now) and having a blast with it. Can't wait to level it up more.

yanhero

Maybe it works out, especially in some of the later heroics there may be fights where ranged win. It doesn't matter really, I just enjoy being one of the top DPS in the guild and when I can't do that it's frustrating. It is a little amusing that they buffed melee because of fight mechanics and then didn't add any fight mechanics that screw over melee in the current raid.

In other news, what's up with the mount that drops off normal Deathwing? Wowhead says it's a low drop % but we're having a hard time believing that since it's dropped on 3 of our 4 kills.

Which fight are you talking about? Seriously, if you are a fire mage, you can definitely compete with the melee, and probably out dps most of them too.

There are tons of fight mechanics that screw over melee in the current raid

Morchok - range can still dps while the blood is out, other than rogues who can stay in the blood, the other melee are screwed (mages 2nd on charts only after rogues)
Yorsahj - melee has to run really far to adds (mages on top)
Zonozz - normal is fair game for everyone, range is preferred on heroic to be able to kill adds without wasting time on travel, melee gets screwed on adds, and is only competitive here if they are allowed to stay on the boss + cleave adds
Hagara - melee is fucked on the frost phases, while range gets to stand still and dps through the whole thing (mages on top again)
Ultra - fair game (mages still on top)
Warmaster - casters on top, rogues not being far behind due to cleave
Spine - mages famously being the best on heroic
Madness - tons of stuff to screw both melee and casters, but casters are on top of the charts on here as well

Einchy

Oh man, my hunter has the best luck with loot. Yesterday I did a DS pug and a 397 gun dropped from trash, then the 397 crossbow dropped from the ooze boss. Today I did Fall of Deathwing and I got the tier chest, 3 of the DW staffs and DW's bow. I gave one of the staffs to a feral druid in the raid and as I was about to trade the second my power went out.

Right now there's some guy who thinks I'm the biggest asshole in the world. I was hoping to add him on real ID and try and trade the item in a dungeon but sadly recount didn't save the data and I couldn't remember his name or realm.

TheYanger

Ultraxion 25h down last night! What a rush, fun ass fight for dps, probably not healers. Feels good to get shit done on a shorter schedule.

Duki

Banned
Starting a casual-friendly guild with a friend of mine. Very excited and hopefully we can find some like-minded players to join.

We are looking to have raids and organized things maybe once every 1-2 weeks, nothing big. Haven't been able to find a guild that fits those needs so we are going to do it ourselves.

My only level 85 is a melee. Recently started a fire mage (level 21 now) and having a blast with it. Can't wait to level it up more.
i found fire leveling to be terrible

all the fun shit you have to wait ages for

arcane killed shit waaaay faster because of arcane barrage

Bisnic

Did 40k DPS on the last boss of heroic Stonecore... she didnt have time to use her shield and throw rocks at my pug. Feels nice to be OP. :p

TheYanger

Do you raid with friends?

Edit: IIRC you said your guild went more casual.

I was wondering if you switched.

No I switched guilds, I was in Juggernaut and then Exodus (with a brief stop in Vigil). I knew lots of aftermath people as friends due to being on the same server as Jugg, they've always been 'third' behind jugg/vigil, and a lot of juggernaut friends went there when it died.

Sarcasm

I might contact you next month. Also what bout the gaf guild?

Magnus

Aftermath on malganis, lets me be casual (3 nights, 12 hours a week) while still being about as good as you can be on that schedule.

lol. Three 4-hour nights is casual?

At our most hardcore ever over the last five years, we were going 3-4 nights a week for 3 hours each. That was life-draining.

gatisimo

Hope I get more interest here than in the Buy/Sell. I have a WoW: Cataclysm key for trade. Will trade for anything reasonable, like a $20 game. PM if interested.

Top Bottom