• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
With the christmas event starting today I was hoping I'd get the red winter clothes pattern mailed to me, being a tailor and all, but being horde I got the green one instead. :( The green one looks awful imo so I want the other. (female belfs know whats up) Apparently from what little I know of it the only way to get the red pattern is through cross faction trading or to run into Ironforge and buy one off a vendor there.
So I have my level 36 horde mage parked outside Ironforge waiting for downtime so I can swoop in there and buy the pattern. It'll be a miracle if i can actually interact with the vendor quick enough to buy one before I'm cut down by anyone looking for blood. It's a pvp server too so should be fun.

Edit: haha, I did it. I just spawned further every time I died and when I got to the vendor I ice blocked and casually bought whatever I wanted. :)

So very close to 100k gold. Should pass the mark when I next log in. Was only about 400g short this afternoon.

Still want to get a bit past that before I can declare it as official by mailing it all to one character. Completely draining everyone but one guy at exactly 100k isn't ideal (and annoying of course, since I'd have to mail some back - I do auctions on 3 characters.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I visited your rock yesterday Yoshi, you spotted me and I promptly fell down into a hole behind a bunch of rocks under the waterfall and had to hearth out. I hate your rock.
Hahahaha, oh my God.

Alex

The new twilight heroics are just damn good, the raid finder is just damn amazing, and the DS raids are very nice :eek:

Blizzard did great job with this patch. Yes, it is easier. It is also much more fun and less time to wait in que is always plus.

My opinion was the opposite,Two to three room, unfailable dungeons that are 50 percent npc exposition, a raid consisting of entirely recycled assets and mostly recycled mechanics and raid finder was as vapid as I feared it'd be. Transmog is rad, but it's too late in the game for me, even after being gone for six months I'm spent.

All you can really do without being committed to a raiding schedule is (and I just wont anymore, not even for Ulduar quality, let alone this thing) log on and roll the slots on Flat stat loot pinatas and log off. It's just not for me in this state. I can see myself resubbing for expansion launches, def worth the money for the giant burst of content but my patch to patch days are gone for sure if 4.3 is the norm.

Still, while i always took big breaks, i got a great many years of off and on entertainment from the game, can't be bitter about that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there a one button press macro that heroic leaps, death n decays, or anything that requires a green ground targeting circle to the location of your cursor?

Using one on the Razer Nostromo and it's so good. So quick I don't seen the green.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So very close to 100k gold. Should pass the mark when I next log in. Was only about 400g short this afternoon.

Still want to get a bit past that before I can declare it as official by mailing it all to one character. Completely draining everyone but one guy at exactly 100k isn't ideal (and annoying of course, since I'd have to mail some back - I do auctions on 3 characters.)

If you have Bagnon it usually shows you a "total on server."

Sarcasm

I am so tempted to get back into WoW.

Out of curiosity

1. My account got a ban which I can lift cause somehow from being deactivated for a year with 7 days free it got hacked.

2. I don't live in the states so how bad will lag be? Taiwan here.

I am so tempted to get back into WoW.

Out of curiosity

1. My account got a ban which I can lift cause somehow from being deactivated for a year with 7 days free it got hacked.

2. I don't live in the states so how bad will lag be? Taiwan here.

Not sure about number one.

As for lag - I guy I've played with on my server (U.S.) I know lives in Australia, and he doesn't seem to have lag problems. Maybe a bit higher latency than normal, but nothing unplayable.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm from Australia and I get around 200-250ms, sometimes it's way worse but you learn to live with it. It's really not a huge issue.

-------

Sold a handle of the Red Winter Clothes today and yesterday, made around 1300g with very little work. Nothing mind blowing I know but I'm well pleased as it's almost doubled my server total, mostly level 30-40 chars, so that's less work I'll have to do later to grind out flying training and stuff later on.

Fularu

Banned
So I did a LFR yesterday, just for fun and I completely forgot how dreadfull the wow player base really is.

And as usual, the rules of pugs held up true, the shittiest dps always got the loot

(I should just start sucking)

So I did a LFR yesterday, just for fun and I completely forgot how dreadfull the wow player base really is.

And as usual, the rules of pugs held up true, the shittiest dps always got the loot

This is why I AFK for as much of every LFR as I can without getting booted. It pleases the PUG gods and grants me their favor.

Hell, it got me the dps dagger for my priest last night off Madness of Deathwing.

So true, the hunter that died 10 seconds into the fight ended up with the loot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just experienced my first small heart attack and it was because of a pug.

I need to freeze my account before it gets any worse.

For me, AV weekend is one of my favortie times in WoW. It's pretty much a guaranteed 350+ Honor every 10 minutes as Alliance. The best part is when the Horde just get frustrated and start trying all sorts of off the wall tactics like turteling, FWGY sneak attacks, and straight up not even trying for a traditional win, but instead set up blockades at choke points. It's mayhem. It is such a good feeling to be so vital in these types of wins.

Even better, as a feral druid, I often lead the charge. I'm tanking Galv, defending towers and FWGY as needed, and leading the charge on Drek. I can stealth and steal flags/GYs, or take possession of mines if needed. When the Horde turtle up, all I need is a healer and I can straight up wreck shit in bear form. If not tanking, I go straight to the Relief Hut and capture one of the towers. So much fun! Earlier today I had #1 dmg and 145 HKs in a single AV. We didn't kill Drek and I still had almost 600 Honor at the end of that match!

It's also cool how, over the years, strategies in this BG have changed over time. Right now, you better pull when you have 30 seconds on your second tower or else the Horde may pull off a win. That seems to be the key when it comes down to a "traditional" zerg attack on each others commander. Also, if the Horde turtle in their base, make them come to you at FWGY. If you go to them at RH, they can bleed you dry! Whoever has the longest walk will bleed the tickets fastest!

For me, AV weekend is one of my favortie times in WoW. It's pretty much a guaranteed 350+ Honor every 10 minutes as Alliance. The best part is when the Horde just get frustrated and start trying all sorts of off the wall tactics like turteling, FWGY sneak attacks, and straight up not even trying for a traditional win, but instead set up blockades at choke points. It's mayhem. It is such a good feeling to be so vital in these types of wins.

Even better, as a feral druid, I often lead the charge. I'm tanking Galv, defending towers and FWGY as needed, and leading the charge on Drek. I can stealth and steal flags/GYs, or take possession of mines if needed. When the Horde turtle up, all I need is a healer and I can straight up wreck shit in bear form. If not tanking, I go straight to the Relief Hut and capture one of the towers. So much fun! Earlier today I had #1 dmg and 145 HKs in a single AV. We didn't kill Drek and I still had almost 600 Honor at the end of that match!

It's also cool how, over the years, strategies in this BG have changed over time. Right now, you better pull when you have 30 seconds on your second tower or else the Horde may pull off a win. That seems to be the key when it comes down to a "traditional" zerg attack on each others commander. Also, if the Horde turtle in their base, make them come to you at FWGY. If you go to them at RH, they can bleed you dry! Whoever has the longest walk will bleed the tickets fastest!

As alliance i can't even remember the last time i lost an AV. I agree with you as well, AV is awesome and i wish i could spend more time in there than in other BG's.

So many different strategies that can be used, it's a lot of fun.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Stupid question, but i did DS with the LFR for the 1st time with my fire mage today, and Critical Mass kept disappearing from my targets...why? Does another debuff override it or something?

(Yes, i do not raid with my fire mage much if this isnt new)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Stupid question, but i did DS with the LFR for the 1st time with my fire mage today, and Critical Mass kept disappearing from my targets...why? Does another debuff override it or something?

Yeah, it's being overwritten, either by another fire mage or by a warlock's Shadow and Flame.

This raid composition page tells you what buffs/debuffs each class and spec provides:
http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/

ch0mp

There was another mage/class that was applying the same debuff so it would swap between the two of you.

As alliance i can't even remember the last time i lost an AV. I agree with you as well, AV is awesome and i wish i could spend more time in there than in other BG's.

Screw you Alliance Scum!

:(

I'm just bitter.

You have to admit though, it's pretty much undeniably favored towards Alliance in several ways.

vilmer_

Just keep living bomb up, and continue with regular rotation ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think that every Warlock has that buff now as Shadow and Flame.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Played some AV today to test out my new Grid configuration, ended up second on heals and had over 70 dispels in a 20 minute game. Blows my mind that I did that many, I had changed cleanse and hand of freedom to ctrl casts to make it easier to react and cast, I would have been lucky to get a dozen before. Need to change a couple things on my UI but a huge change so far.

Ran my first Cata normal as heals earlier. I have 5-6 85s and I've only run around 10 instances this whole expansion so this had me nervous. Honestly, the whole experience had me too focused on healing and I found it hard to stop and relax a little. I can handle it but the previous instances you could look around, help out dpsing, you know actually be aware of who you're running with and all that good stuff but it feels like you need to be paying attention or the shit hits the fan pretty quick.
It's not like that all the time is it?

Screw you Alliance Scum!

:(

I'm just bitter.

You have to admit though, it's pretty much undeniably favored towards Alliance in several ways.

It moat certainly is but i don't think that is necessarily the reason the horde always lose. There seems to be this thing that happens (well on my battlegroup anyway) where certain strategies just become the norm for each race. There was a time back at level 80 where for a while the horde changed strategies (basically they just forced turtles every game) and they actually had some success. Lately though it's just become a race to drek/van where both factions just wait for the towers to cap before zerging.

Unfortunately for the horde this generally takes them slightly longer and the alliance are much more effective at back capping for whatever reason. So every time the horde just lose waiting to go in and kill vann (or get halfway through).

Another example is in isle of conquest for some reason the horde always take workshop and the alliance always takes the docks. The alliance generally lose as well and yet for some reason nobody tries anything different. It's like there is some unwritten rule at the start of the BG that there is a certain start that your faction must follow.

I find it interesting the way a certain strategy seems to just somehow become the standard for the different factions.

The cool thing about all those different strategies is that there is also a lot that can go wrong! Yesterday, someone capped FWGY before RH was secured. It was a difference of about 10-20 seconds, but that was enough time for 3-4 Horde to respawn at RH and hold off the 2 Alliance trying to cap. Of course, more horde appeared at the RH as they died elsewhere. That eventually turned into a full on turtle (which we won!). The order of which to best do things is well known, but it is the side that best adapts to a kink in the normal strategy that wins. Grabbing both mines asap when it looks like a turtle cannot be understated. Simply knowing which Graveyards to cap (and when) can turn the tide in a heartbeat in some battles.

Also, I agree that Alliance seems really good at back capping in AV and overall tower defense. It's nice to tank Galv then run up to TP only to see 5-6 Alliance already packed into the tower for defense.

My favorite non-traditional strategy was to wait in our throne room with 3 other stealthers. We waited the entire time. We ran recon as they took over towers and our GY. When the horde engaged, rogues stunlocked healers and I stunned and took out the main tank. They were all in and fully engaged while the Alliance were still waiting on numbers to engage Drek. Our little stealth group completely shut down and wiped the Horde out in about 30 seconds total. It brings smile to my face knowing how pissed they must have been. They were completely blind sided. This tactic won the encounter for us. It's so hard to get people to try new things, but I kind of wish this tactic would gain more traction. Getting strangers to agree to this, and stay in one place for so long, is difficult to say the least.

Fularu

Banned
5 years later and the Alliance still doesn't understand why AV is so much more in their favor ;) (hint : bridge and NPC placement in the alliance camp).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish there was a way to hide enchants on weapons... i got a nice crystal looking axe that i used to transmog, and the fucking power torrent enchant hides the whole model.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wish there was a way to hide enchants on weapons... i got a nice crystal looking axe that i used to transmog, and the fucking power torrent enchant hides the whole model.

Oh don't worry, they'll fix that after everyone spends time earning all the weapons that override enchants.

5 years later and the Alliance still doesn't understand why AV is so much more in their favor ;) (hint : bridge and NPC placement in the alliance camp).

That's one of the major things.

Tower vs. Bunker design/layout would be the other big thing in my eyes. Beyond that, the differences seem less important/more minute (except maybe that the Horde starting cave is further back than the equivalent Alliance one, giving them at least a few seconds advantage).

There are others, and ones I don't even remember right now, I'm sure.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Stables being closer to the Alliance spawn than Farm to the Horde Spawn in Arathi Basin? It doesn't make much of a difference in the long run, but Alliance is always able to cap it a few seconds faster than Horde can get to Farm.

Well well. I entered BRC for the second time with my 80 mage (first was being babysat by a friend) and got a PUG that was really talkative and friendly. Some mistakes were made and the group didn't disintegrate, we just ran back in and got on with it. I had almost forgotten what it was like :)

I think both of us are well aware of the advantages that alliance get in AV (so your condescension is unwarranted). However they are not insurmountable and the only reason i win every time is because the horde don't even try to counter act them. If you just make it a race to drek/van where you cap the towers on the way alliance will win every time.

I have won AV's as my horde on this battlegroup so i know it can be done. I a straight up fight the horde are generally better and they should probably try and do something like that.

Two alliance players with knockbacks can hold the bridge forever.

I realise that the bridge is unfair but that that right there is just silly and isn't true at all.

Alex

Horde has a solid boon in Arathi Basin through better node chemistry, to be fair, but nothing like the Alliance bridge. I seriously think Blizzard just leaves that thing as it is to compensate for lower victories on the Alliance or something, otherwise who knows.

Horde has a solid boon in Arathi Basin through better node chemistry, to be fair, but nothing like the Alliance bridge. I seriously think Blizzard just leaves that thing as it is to compensate for lower victories on the Alliance or something, otherwise who knows.

Lets face it blizzard barely bother about pvp at all. Class balance is always a mess and inmbalance in BG's and world pvp areas are generally ignored.

I don't play WoW for balance as i know there isn't any. However i don't need it to be balanced to have fun.

I do think it's a shame how little they have improved pvp over the years (in many ways it has actually managed to get worse).

Sciz

I've leveled a worgen sub rogue from 45 to 65 over the course of the weekend doing nothing but chaining AVs and massacring mobs for leather during the queue times. Enormously fun, especially since the lower brackets don't play out as a straight zerg as often as the 85 bracket does.

Alex

I dunno, I think they do an ok job with class balance in PvP, especially as of late (well as of late months ago) I think they have their hearts in the right place but they do address things in a bit of a poor form... with a sledge hammer.

They do need to throw PvP a bone though, in general, but they needed to throw new content a bone altogether (especially PvP though, shame since it's their primary form of renewable content). New competition, subs bleeding and Pandaria will hopefully accomplish some of that, the new BG types sound interesting and I want to hear their world PvP plans they keep subtly talking up on occasion.

I look forward to Blizzard working harder to prove themselves, I agree with Yanger that Titan is their future so they'll save more for it but they're not going to throw WoW away either. I'm playing SWTOR right now and *really* enjoying it, so I'm happy for the first time in ages I feel like I have some choice in the genre again, for my tastes, anyway. Toss on Guild Wars 2, Titan down the line and maybe FFXIV 2.0 might be decent, I'm looking forward to the future.

I dunno, I think they do an ok job with class balance in PvP, especially as of late (well as of late months ago) I think they have their hearts in the right place but they do address things in a bit of a poor form... with a sledge hammer.

They do need to throw PvP a bone though, in general, but they needed to throw new content a bone altogether (especially PvP though, shame since it's their primary form of renewable content). New competition, subs bleeding and Pandaria will hopefully accomplish some of that, the new BG types sound interesting and I want to hear their world PvP plans they keep subtly talking up on occasion.

I look forward to Blizzard working harder to prove themselves, I agree with Yanger that Titan is their future so they'll save more for it but they're not going to throw WoW away either. I'm playing SWTOR right now and *really* enjoying it, so I'm happy for the first time in ages I feel like I have some choice in the genre again, for my tastes, anyway. Toss on Guild Wars 2, Titan down the line and maybe FFXIV 2.0 might be decent, I'm looking forward to the future.

I'm very tempted to get SWTOR as a post-Christmas present for myself (via the Gift Cards/Money I usually get.) Typically I enjoy Sci-Fi settings more than Fantasy, even though I do like Warcraft a lot.

I was hoping to wait a few months to see how it panned out, maybe get a price reduction (WoW didn't get really big until the base game went down in price - this is definitely a barrier for SWTOR in attracting a mass audience at least early on, but the newness factor will overcome it for awhile.) However, getting in on the ground floor, even a a couple weeks after launch, is still plenty early enough to experience the "newness" magic, with most people still being newbies/low level, and an underdeveloped economy.

It works out since my WoW sub renews on the first of the month right now.

Aside from SWTOR, I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and I'm really eager to see whatever Titan ends up being.

Top Bottom