• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Highest DPS potential is not good enough for you? You need to be playing the singular class that is best at everything to be happy? It's pretty ridiculous for a mage to be complaining about being screwed on dps compared to melee in this tier.

I need to be competitive to be happy, yeah. Maybe it's ridiculous but it's a reflection of our meters.

It sounds to me like your guild just has bad caster players and good melee players, I can assure you that range should not be doing just 21k on Warmaster.

Could be. Our warrior is #3 world on 10H Yorshazz and our rogue is #3 world on the BH boss (lol?) so we're not competing against terrible players. Maybe we're all baddies, who knows. Maybe we're not adjusting to fight mechanics or changes in spec/gearing or whatever, but for whatever reason we're losing pretty badly right now and it's frustrating.

Unless you're killing a boss in a minute or less your crits will average out, you cast a LOT of spells over time. Yes, obviously there's rng and variance, but that's true of any spec not just fire. You won't go 6 minutes on Ultraxion without hovering within say, 5% of your character sheet's crit chance. Fire mages rape face, obviously if you want to parse on wol you need things like power infusions and legendary staves, but so do any other casters. Even without those things you can easily top your own guild's meters.

Fire mages have the highest AVERAGE dps this tier. Warriors do well on ultraxxion due to unlimited rage, and rogues do well on zonozz due to Blade Flurry, but that's ABOUT it for competition.

I notice about a 10% swing in crit between good parses and bad. The top parses are around 50% crit and bad fights on meters are around 30%. I know that crit lottery will affect other classes as well but I believe fire mage has the longest cast time of any primary nuke in the game as well as two secondary crit-based DPS mechanics so being on the high end of that crit sway is pretty important.

Not sure how you determine average relative DPS for a tier, is there something that tracks this?

About fire mage stats, i heard that getting your haste to 2005 should be a priority to get another dot tick, i'm already there, but im not sure if i should reforge or gem for mastery or crit after that. Both seems pretty good but my crit is not even at 20% right now.

Well I think we've determined that I'm terrible, but the highest-simming gear set has everything reforged to crit. 20% sounds a little low but I'm at 24% on armory and 37% mid-fight with everything stacked.

Could be. Our warrior is #3 world on 10H Yorshazz and our rogue is #3 world on the BH boss (lol?) so we're not competing against terrible players. Maybe we're all baddies, who knows. Maybe we're not adjusting to fight mechanics or changes in spec/gearing or whatever, but for whatever reason we're losing pretty badly right now and it's frustrating.

If those stats are true, then I think this is most likely a case of god-tier melee competing with mere average or above average ranged. Case closed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
good night sweet malganis

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well I think we've determined that I'm terrible, but the highest-simming gear set has everything reforged to crit. 20% sounds a little low but I'm at 24% on armory and 37% mid-fight with everything stacked.

Yeah, i should have checked ingame instead than from battle net. But it's at 22.10% with an average ilvl of 380. Maybe i should reforge some of that mastery into crit. But i got this dagger from the raid finder version of Deathwing, which is lacking in secondary stats, probably doesnt help : http://www.wowhead.com/item=78484.

Edit : 23.87% after reforging, guess im about the same as you.

Today i encountered something i haven't seen since the burning crusade, a tank who kept losing threat to the healer. It was a DK who didn't use death and decay. On the mobs right before the time warp boss (i'm terrible with names) he let our healer and a dps die twice. He would walk up hit one of the casters and then when the healer healed him ho lost threat on the other 3 enemies. He also could barely get threat back so our warrior DPS died twice. Thankfully our ele shaman could heal him and get us through.

Edit: Oh and just encountered a real prick in the raid finder. A rogue who already had the 384 leggings decided to roll need on them anyway and then use them to trade to other people who won gear he wanted (no one accepted). If that wasn't bad enough i look at his gear, he has 2 397 weapons and 3 other pieces of 397 gear and could barely crack 17K DPS.

Thankfully i didn't need that gear but it still annoys me seeing people act like that.

TheYanger

Not sure how you determine average relative DPS for a tier, is there something that tracks this?

This is based on simcraft and spreadsheet results, which are always averages. Along with real world data. If it were as RNG as you're saying, mages wouldn't rape meters EVERY attempt of EVERY boss. Having good melee in your guild doesn't make you bad, either. It's almost surely a matter of adapting to each boss and timing things better.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2 heal 10 man Madness

do 32k hps, phase 2 with 40% mana

get kicked for being baddie healer

i luv it

Another fun day raiding in the LFR. Got an enhance shaman with full pvp gear and a 277 trinket from icecrown struggling to pull 10K DPS. Of course the 2 pieces of gear i wanted that dropped he won (including the trinket i'm desperate for).

Weenerz

Banned
Got the stam tank trinket from LFR, the other tank technically won, but he felt bad because my debuff got up to 7 stacks on Yor before he taunted. I still survived but it was a nice gesture.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what's the story on off-spec rolling in LFR? If you're say, enhance, and the dps-spell dagger drops, and you hit need. Are you dick or not?

My thought is, you're kind of a dick, but it's tough to play that way since literally everyone is doing it and you'd never get loot if you tried to be the only nice person in LFR.

idlewild_

So what's the story on off-spec rolling in LFR? If you're say, enhance, and the dps-spell dagger drops, and you hit need. Are you dick or not?

My thought is, you're kind of a dick, but it's tough to play that way since literally everyone is doing it and you'd never get loot if you tried to be the only nice person in LFR.

Personally, I think it would be kind of a dick move and would not do it. It's not a huge thing that would hang on my conscience, and I probably wouldn't even remember doing it after a couple weeks, but why would I willfully do something I feel is wrong just because others are doing it?

Rokal

I wouldn't roll in that case as I feel like people should only be filling out the spec they came with. However, if I was with a guildie that actually did need the dagger, I'd roll to double their chances of getting it.

thatbox

Banned
You should roll need on anything you can use in LFR, because that's what everyone else is doing. You can always trade it after you win it if you somehow can't live with yourself afterwards.

I think it's a dick move however i don't blame people and really it's blizzards fault. The loot system really doesn't have to be that complicated to avoid problems.

The warrior i played with missed out on the 2H he has been going for because a tank wanted for his off spec. Even though i think he was a dick i still think blizzard is the one at fault.

With this community if you give them a chance to fuck people over they will do it.

Bisnic

It's not a dick move in LFR if the guys rolling need for their current spec automatically get a +100 bonus roll...unless the system cant make the difference between a need from an ele shaman and an enh shaman, and cares about roles, which wouldn't surprise me.

It's not a dick move in LFR if the guys rolling need for their current spec automatically get a +100 bonus roll...unless the system cant make the difference between a need from an ele shaman and an enh shaman, and cares about roles, which wouldn't surprise me.

That's the problem. People are rolling for an off spec item and still getting the +100 bonus.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That's the problem. People are rolling for an off spec item and still getting the +100 bonus.

Yeah, last night in LFR... I rolled need on both the caster and agi trinket from Spine (as elemental) as did a Enh shaman. I won the Agi trinket, he won the caster trinket. Needless to say, we traded.

Anyone have a problem with rerolling constantly ? I can't find work so I'm on wow a lot and I get bored of my toons quickly, I hate pve and bgs so I just do 2s since I all my friends quit wow.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You should roll need on anything you can use in LFR, because that's what everyone else is doing. You can always trade it after you win it if you somehow can't live with yourself afterwards.

Basically, I did it, and felt sort of bad; the only reason people noticed was because I happened to win No'kaled AND the DPS spell dagger. But at the same time, the people grumbling about it all need rolled on everything too, so it's kind of a weird situation since almost literally nobody else is passing on anything. Like, I would normally feel like a dick, but everyone else is doing it, so I'm of two minds whether I should really feel bad.

Yeah, last night in LFR... I rolled need on both the caster and agi trinket from Spine (as elemental) as did a Enh shaman. I won the Agi trinket, he won the caster trinket. Needless to say, we traded.

I won an Agi polearm as a DK (was just rolling on everything I could, meh.) Two hunters wanted it, so I made them roll and traded it to one of them. I think that item was one of the ones they fixed though.

Still, wish there were more STR polearms. I had one for awhile back in Wrath that I liked.

Angry Grimace

I won an Agi polearm as a DK (was just rolling on everything I could, meh.) Two hunters wanted it, so I made them roll and traded it to one of them. I think that item was one of the ones they fixed though.

Still, wish there were more STR polearms. I had one for awhile back in Wrath that I liked.

The reason they don't is because of Titan's Grip.

strafer

Okay, since I haven't played Destro since TBC I thought it would be nice to try it out now so I respecced and went into a dungeon and what unfolded there is not pretty.

My casts were all over the place and I had no rotation whatsoever.

Switched to Affli and all was okay again.

That's what you get for not playing other specs.

But I love Affli. <3

Angry Grimace

Okay, since I haven't played Destro since TBC I thought it would be nice to try it out now so I respecced and went into a dungeon and what unfolded there is not pretty.

My casts were all over the place and I had no rotation whatsoever.

Switched to Affli and all was okay again.

That's what you get for not playing other specs.

But I love Affli. <3

Destro is silly in terms of complexity. Your typical opening rotation is Soul Fire - Immolate - Conflagrate - CoE - BoD - Corruption - Chaos Bolt - Incinerate - Incinerate - Conflagate - Immolate - Chaos Bolt - Soulburn + Soul Fire

Angry Grimace

demo is better than both for raiding and by a landslide in dungeons.

This is actually false. I suppose it might be true if you never played anything but LFR mode and never, ever got boned during meta and just looked at a DPS simulation to figure out which spec to play.

Which spec is best for warlocks is entirely encounter dependent, more so in DS than ever.

Sethos

Banned
So I was mucking about on my Paladin getting him geared, my friend wanted me to do HoT with him. Okay, probably not ready for it but he'd give me the tactics etc. so we went. We entered and I tell the other Paladin what I'll be buffing and while I'm doing that the tank storms through the portal and gets in the first pack of mobs - I'm still not through, neither is my friend and that Paladin.

Replies are something like "heal you fucking baddie", "come here slave healer" etc. shit like that. My friend starts to argue and it all ends in name calling and the most obnoxious and arrogant tank I've ever seen.

Fine, me and my friend get out, me by bubble + hearth and him by vanish and then hearth. We stay in the group and just have nice conversations with them, trash talk back and forth, mark them, initiate random vote kicks on the tank etc. and when they tried to kick us, either of us would just vote no which resulted in a fail.

Like, 30-40 minutes of standing around SW in a group they couldn't kick us out of and just listening to the tank trash talk. This holiday period has really turned a barely tolerable social experience into the worst pile of wank I have ever experienced. Guess it's nice you can always troll back like that.

Angry Grimace

So I was mucking about on my Paladin getting him geared, my friend wanted me to do HoT with him. Okay, probably not ready for it but he'd give me the tactics etc. so we went. We entered and I tell the other Paladin what I'll be buffing and while I'm doing that the tank storms through the portal and gets in the first pack of mobs - I'm still not through, neither is my friend and that Paladin.

Replies are something like "heal you fucking baddie", "come here slave healer" etc. shit like that. My friend starts to argue and it all ends in name calling and the most obnoxious and arrogant tank I've ever seen.

Fine, me and my friend get out, me by bubble + hearth and him by vanish and then hearth. We stay in the group and just have nice conversations with them, trash talk back and forth, mark them, initiate random vote kicks on the tank etc. and when they tried to kick us, either of us would just vote no which resulted in a fail.

Like, 30-40 minutes of standing around SW in a group they couldn't kick us out of and just listening to the tank trash talk. This holiday period has really turned a barely tolerable social experience into the worst pile of wank I have ever experienced. Guess it's nice you can always troll back like that.
Entirely your fault beyond the point you left the instance.

I was looking for a newbie tonight to surprise with 4 22-slot bags and 1000 gold. Couldn't find any good candidates. Did have a nice conversation with someone on a trial, but I couldn't trade stuff to him. I'll have to check tomorrow.

I'm so freaking rich at this point. And I wanted to do something nice if I won't be playing for awhile - quitting to play SWTOR for a bit and at least until new content is on the near horizon, be that Mists, or a patch. My sub otherwise renews on the first, so I was trying to organize all my other stuff this past night (clearing mailboxes, grabbing Winter Veil gifts, etc.)

I did mail some gold to former guildmates though. 1 got a bonus Off-Hand Intellect scroll, another got a Truegold.

And keeb, I mailed you on Area 52, but I dumped about half my gold on that server into the guild bank. Didn't have too too much, but it's a decent amount. Kept the rest for any expenses I might have when I next play. A little starting capital at least.

Sethos

Banned
I was looking for a newbie tonight to surprise with 4 22-slot bags and 1000 gold. Couldn't find any good candidates. Did have a nice conversation with someone on a trial, but I couldn't trade stuff to him. I'll have to check tomorrow.

I'm so freaking rich at this point. And I wanted to do something nice if I won't be playing for awhile - quitting to play SWTOR for a bit and at least until new content is on the near horizon, be that Mists, or a patch. My sub otherwise renews on the first, so I was trying to organize all my other stuff this past night (clearing mailboxes, grabbing Winter Veil gifts, etc.)

I did mail some gold to former guildmates though. 1 got a bonus Off-Hand Intellect scroll, another got a Truegold.

And keeb, I mailed you on Area 52, but I dumped about half my gold on that server into the guild bank. Didn't have too too much, but it's a decent amount. Kept the rest for any expenses I might have when I next play. A little starting capital at least.

Feel free to share the wealth this way, sir. I'm broke all the time, haha - Whenever I do get a bit of gold it's gone within a few hours. I really need to start working more on my professions.

Can't believe how poor I am at making gold.

TheContact

Feel free to share the wealth this way, sir. I'm broke all the time, haha - Whenever I do get a bit of gold it's gone within a few hours. I really need to start working more on my professions.

Do repeatable quests. You can easily cap your 25 in an hour and a half or so. That's almost 500g a day, not counting the loot and items you sell along the way. Also doing the dungeon queue gives you some pretty good gold as well.

Gold used to be so much harder to get, now it's a joke. I remember hitting 60 on my first character and still having to grind for weeks just to get the 100% epic ground mount. One of my guildies managed to cap their gold limit during late Burning Crusade era, which sort of blew my mind.

Word to your mother. Thanks for your help with the guild. I have a feeling we'll be seeing it a lot more active when MoP comes out. I know now that my 10 man is moving on to heroics, I'll have a bit more time to spend on Area 52. It helps that I'm too poor to be able to afford TOR. I'm able to concentrate on my Hunter now. (This is what I keep telling myself)

Angry Grimace

Do repeatable quests. You can easily cap your 25 in an hour and a half or so. That's almost 500g a day, not counting the loot and items you sell along the way. Also doing the dungeon queue gives you some pretty good gold as well.

Gold used to be so much harder to get, now it's a joke. I remember hitting 60 on my first character and still having to grind for weeks just to get the 100% epic ground mount. One of my guildies managed to cap their gold limit during late Burning Crusade era, which sort of blew my mind.

The gold cap is like a million per character now though.

Last LFR run: lost rolls on every token, Creche of the Final Dragon, Eye of Unmaking and two Souldrinkers :bittertears: ( I also did the most DPS by 8000)

I am Azeroth's 1%. :p

It really just sort of builds on itself after awhile though. Once you break the 10k threshold or so, it becomes much easier to go further (though I do have to say I only really started on this path after making a decent bit off ICC GDKPs in late Wrath). I don't really spend gold on much though, at least not on large individual purchases. A lot of it comes from the shuffle between Jewelcrafting, Alchemy, and Enchanting. I don't like the armor-crafting professions as much because you take on much more risk in making and trying to sell something that costs thousands of gold. Anyway, if I didn't have all 3 of those, it would be much harder (or at least slower) to make gold - they have a real synergy. Aside from Alchemy though, Enchanting and JC are costly to level, and JC certainly takes time to be really profitable/diversified at the max level plateau because of the tokens (and everything below max level gems is pretty much worthless). The earlier you get in during an expansion, the better.

I mean, I was really excited to finally break 100k a couple weeks ago, and then next thing I knew I had around 115k. Just having that much capital gives you the ability to buy pretty much any commodities you want to further make money off your professions. As long as I don't buy extravagant things like the Vendor Mammoth, the Chopper, or the Vial of the Sands, the wealth will pretty much continuously grow. Anything in the hundreds of gold is nothing. A thousand or few thousand I won't bat much of an eye at. It's only purchases at about 5k and above that I'll seriously take a step back and think about for a bit.

Having all the wealth is kind of one reason why I wish there was a system like EVE's PLEX where I could play just by virtue of buying time with in-game gold. The fair price for a month is probably around 15-20k, which I could definitely handle, and still make more on top of in a given month, certainly at this point. The option to cash out, like the RMAH in Diablo 3 promises, would be nice too, as I'd be sitting on a decent chunk of change. Though I'd be more than happy with a PLEX-like equivalent. It's not so far-fetched considering the Guardian Cub. It could certainly help combat illegitimate gold sellers.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. I don't have any real "secrets" to divulge about gold-making. Just using alts to their potential for professions is probably the most helpful thing, and that's just an initial time investment I made through enjoying the game a lot at different times.

Yoshichan

Only reason why I'm doing Madness lately = the stats. It's all about the stats, the efficiency and the strive of being 100% at phase 2.

And I'm improving in insane amount for every week that goes (no gear change, just straight up priority-changes). I'm at around 95% mana when phase 2 started.

YK0xe.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Started playing my paladin tank after a long hiatus and I feel so squishy compared to DK tanks I group with in LFR and Baradin Hold. Maybe I should just go in and switch every mastery+stam gem to straight mastery until I get to the CTC cap, hopefully that'll make things better. Sucks though cause my stam is pretty crap as it is.

Bisnic

I hate people sometimes... i need to buy some glyphs for my priest that is on a server where i dont have any 85s, so i only have 1000g. And all the fucking glyphs i want are sold for 300g, while everything else is below 100. Almost want to transfer this priest to my main server so i can make the glyphs myself.

I hear ya on that. I'm having the same struggle on Area 52. The glyph market on there is being controlled by some AH baron who keeps the key glyphs at high prices.

Bisnic

I hear ya on that. I'm having the same struggle on Area 52. The glyph market on there is being controlled by some AH baron who keeps the key glyphs at high prices.

Seriously, i know the glyph of Spirit Tap can be pretty useful for shadow priests, but it should never be sold for 1500 freaking gold.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
They're expensive because of how hard they are to obtain now. Spirit Tap is learnt through those glyph mastery books which rarely go below 300g. There are over 50 glyphs from them.
Not that I agree which charging insane amounts but you can't be too surprised when the supply is so low for something most need.

They're expensive because of how hard they are to obtain now. Spirit Tap is learnt through those glyph mastery books which rarely go below 300g. There are over 50 glyphs from them.
Not that I agree which charging insane amounts but you can't be too surprised when the supply is so low for something most need.

They're also one-time use items. They're not quite consumables. You only need them once on each character, so the price is high to make up for selling fewer than you would when at least some specs needed to carry stacks of glyphs around for utility.

The profession really is in a weird place.

I do have all the glyphs on my shammy though. Would definitely be less attached there if he wasn't so useful in that respect. Funny thing is, I don't even use him to make money. Selling glyphs is super annoying since there are over 200 I think. Just gets messy.

TheYanger

Blackhorn down, officially the #1 3-night 25 man raiding guild in the world according to wowprogress, feels good even if that's a fairly specific ranking I suppose. And now to brickwall on Spine until it gets nerfed -_-

Top Bottom