• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm thinking about delving into the addiction laden WoW experience for the first time. Obviously I have no idea where to start since this will be my first MMO. I assume get the battlechest first and foremost. I also assume that the newest expansion doesn't include the expansion before it correct?

Where to start? I'm completely new and not sure what I should do first. I'm currently reading an updated beginners guide from Blizzard, but it's barebones so far. Any help or insight would be appreciated =]

Yea, you'll be ok with buying the battlechest first. That gets you all you want until you're ready to move on to later content. Before then there's really no reason you would need the expansions until level 70 though the newest one, Cataclysm, adds the goblin and worgen races which can both be played from level 1.
You can't skip expansions so you would need Wrath of the Lich King next and then Cataclysm to play all content level 1 to 85.
Like Red UFO said just jump in, take in everything as it comes. The game should be fairly easy to understand once you get in.
WoW was my first MMO and I really had a tough time trying to understand what WoW actually was, once I just started playing it all become clear.

Magnus

Does anyone still have their old mount? I made the mistake of turning it in for a new one.

I miss my Ivory Raptor.

754px-Whistle_of_the_Ivory_Raptor.jpg

What do you mean old mount? How do you lose them?

Ryaaan14

Banned
So I'm thinking about delving into the addiction laden WoW experience for the first time. Obviously I have no idea where to start since this will be my first MMO. I assume get the battlechest first and foremost. I also assume that the newest expansion doesn't include the expansion before it correct?

Where to start? I'm completely new and not sure what I should do first. I'm currently reading an updated beginners guide from Blizzard, but it's barebones so far. Any help or insight would be appreciated =]

I'm jealous, experiencing this game for the first time is fucking magical.

Don't worry about the right and wrong things to do, just start questing and immerse yourself into the game.

idlewild_

What do you mean old mount? How do you lose them?

Back in early vanilla there were crappy mount skins. They discontinued those and added the ones you see today, if you had one of the old ones you were given the option to trade it in for one of the newer ones. Unfortunately I swapped mine out too :( :( :(

Back in early vanilla there were crappy mount skins. They discontinued those and added the ones you see today, if you had one of the old ones you were given the option to trade it in for one of the newer ones. Unfortunately I swapped mine out too :( :( :(

What's really evil is that the quest to trade in the mounts is still active. At least until 4.0. Can't confirm for sure if it is now.

Sethos

Banned
Looks like all the tanks are getting a pretty significant nerf in PvP when it comes to damage output, especially Blood DKs - Long overdue?

Classes: General
Vengeance is no longer triggered by receiving damage from other players.

My friend and i run as an enhance and arms warrior so all i can say is fuck yes. On the flip side this is just another nerf to the tank classes who weren't actually OP (read: everything but blood DK's). It's a shame as i enjoy playing a tank in pvp but they just keep nerfing them into the ground even when they aren't that good too begin with.

I was referring to Blood DKs nerf being overdue.

Blood DK's will be affected by this far less than any other tank in PvP. This change will destroy prot pallies and just make warriors even more useless than they already were outside of being an FC in rated BG's.

I'm happy that blood DK's and ferals are getting nerfed as they were a bitch to deal with but it's a shame to see prot warriors and pallies getting nerfed even further. They used to be a lot of fun but have just been nerfed over and over.

Sethos

Banned
Blood DK's will be affected by this far less than any other tank in PvP. This change will destroy prot pallies and just make warriors even more useless than they already were outside of being an FC in rated BG's.

I'm happy that blood DK's and ferals are getting nerfed as they were a bitch to deal with but it's a shame to see prot warriors and pallies getting nerfed even further. They used to be a lot of fun but have just been nerfed over and over.

What? Blood DKs are killing machines with self-healing in PvP and have been a major complaint for a long time - They will feel it the most, it's fair but they will really feel it.

Yes, all tanks will feel it but most forums including mmo-champion, the discussion revolves around the Blood DK in this matter.

What? Blood DKs are killing machines with self-healing in PvP and have been a major complaint for a long time - They will feel it the most, it's fair but they will really feel it.

Yes, all tanks will feel it but most forums including mmo-champion, the discussion revolves around the Blood DK in this matter.

The discussion revolves around blood DK's because they were a much bigger problem in the first place. Blood DK's damage output was much less reliant on vengeance than the other tanks in question (and pallies also rely on it for healing).

It's still a big nerf but it doesn't affect DK's as much as other tanks imo.

Personally i think PvE trinkets are a much bigger blight on PvP right now. Nerfing blood DK's was a good start but there are some other things causing much bigger problems right now that they need to look at (or they can just tell us to wait for MOP like with everything else for pvp).

Sethos

Banned
The discussion revolves around blood DK's because they were a much bigger problem in the first place. Blood DK's damage output was much less reliant on vengeance than the other tanks in question (and pallies also rely on it for healing).

It's still a big nerf but it doesn't affect DK's as much as other tanks imo.

... Why are you arguing with me when you say it yourself, it was a much bigger problem? Hence why I say it's overdue. It was less reliant yes but with it, it was completely out of whack making them a super DPS class with way too much self-healing, it was completely overpowered. So it's a lot more profound for Blood DKs. They are normalized but going from overpowered to normalized is a big hit.

Most tanks will just go from moderately high damage to just moderate damage, far less profound. I don't even think shield wearing tanks should have high damage in the first place, so fuck 'em.

... Why are you arguing with me when you say it yourself, it was a much bigger problem? Hence why I say it's overdue. It was less reliant yes but with it, it was completely out of whack making them a super DPS class with way too much self-healing, it was completely overpowered. So it's a lot more profound for Blood DKs.

Most tanks will just go from moderately high damage to just moderate damage, far less profound. I don't even think shield wearing tanks should have high damage in the first place, so fuck 'em.

I don't even think we're arguing and i don't disagree with anything you're saying. All i'm saying is that for blood DK's less percentage of their damage came from vengeance than the other tanks so their damage will be less affected.

You're right this was long overdue and i'm glad it's happening. Now i just hope they take their attention to PvE trinkets which are a much much bigger issue.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You're not understanding what he's saying, Sethos. He's telling you that with this nerf the other proc classes are fucked but Blood DKs will still be good.

In other words.

With vengeance: Blood DKs=wtf most broken thing ever. All other proc specs= good
Without vengeance: Blood DKs=good All other proc specs= shit

If anything, you're the one who is arguing while he's agreeing with you.

Sethos

Banned
I don't even think we're arguing and i don't disagree with anything you're saying. All i'm saying is that for blood DK's less percentage of their damage came from vengeance than the other tanks so their damage will be less affected.

You're right this was long overdue and i'm glad it's happening. Now i just hope they take their attention to PvE trinkets which are a much much bigger issue.

Based on sheer numbers, the nerf is identical, it's no worse for any of the classes as all gain 5% of damage as AP. What I'm trying to say is and why I'm saying it feels worse for Blood DKs as because they were overpowered. Going from completely overpowered to a somewhat normalized state will always get the biggest outcry and get felt the most, also discussed the most. So it wasn't a theory craft question of who felt it the most =)

All other tanks will definitely fall below a threshold but they aren't exactly starting at a high position.

That's where I was going with that. I still don't feel shield wearing classes should have a high damage output. It should definitely be below the threshold.

Probably all a personal opinion. I have characters from both sides that will be effected

You're not understanding what he's saying, Sethos. He's telling you that with this nerf the other proc classes are fucked but Blood DKs will still be good.

In other words.

With vengeance: Blood DKs=wtf most broken thing ever. All other proc specs= good
Without vengeance: Blood DKs=good All other proc specs= shit

If anything, you're the one who is arguing while he's agreeing with you.

Jeez, thanks captain for that ESPN worthy breakdown.

I wasn't misunderstanding him, I was disagreeing.

Based on sheer numbers, the nerf is identical, it's no worse for any of the classes as all gain 5% of damage as AP. What I'm trying to say is and why I'm saying it feels worse for Blood DKs as because they were overpowered. Going from completely overpowered to a somewhat normalized state will always get the biggest outcry and get felt the most, also discussed the most. So it wasn't a theory craft question of who felt it the most =)

All other tanks will definitely fall below a threshold but they aren't exactly starting at a high position.

That's where I was going with that. I still don't feel shield wearing classes should have a high damage output. It should definitely be below the threshold.

Probably all a personal opinion. I have characters from both sides that will be effected

I don't think we disagree on much there. It's a bit of a shame for me as i was planning to try and play a prot warior/pally in pvp and this just takes them from average to just plain terrible. I think i'll just turn my pally to holy as i really need a healer anyway.

It's a huge buff for my enhance shaman who is my main though. We run double melee in 2s so blood DK's and feral druids were a bitch to deal with.

One thing i'm surprised about though is that this shows that blizzard is still willing to make changes for pvp balance. So i don't understand why they are leaving the trinkets so overpowered.

I also think it sucks that they refuse to offer any help to classes that are majorly struggling (like resto druids) but will make changes like this.

Sethos

Banned
Oh yeah, there's definitely still some pretty glaring issues in PvP right now.

It just puzzles me how completely useless Blizzard are at doing some balance. Maybe they should focus on separating PvE and PvP somehow? Make gear that work exclusively in each place, perhaps even specific abilities that are PvE or PvP based. Yes it may sound overwhelming but it would really help to separate the two and start focusing on some real balance - Instead of this bullsh*t where a PvE change has a major impact on PvP and vice versa.

Maybe that's too radical but it just seems like there's two distinct groups and every time Blizzard has to balance, it has a negative impact on one of them. Having them separated would open so many possibilities and perhaps make PvP more fun, also do away with the constant uncertainty; is my class going to be sucking the floor next week or going through players like a train?

I agree with all that. I think it's pretty harsh when they come out and say a class needs help (they actually said this with restos) and then tell them they won't be making changes until MOP. I mean if you play that spec do you just have to put up with being bad for like close to a year? they are basically just telling you to play something else which is kind of a big kick to the balls.

As for PvE gear being in PvP i'm not totally against it. I just think when something is this blatantly OP (like rogues getting 60-100K crits from a trinket proc) than something needs to be done. Even if you have the best resilience gear these trinkets will still blow you up.

Basically every forum that talks about PvP is telling blizzard this is a huge problem but nothing has been done.

SteveWD40

Oh yeah, there's definitely still some pretty glaring issues in PvP right now.

It just puzzles me how completely useless Blizzard are at doing some balance. Maybe they should focus on separating PvE and PvP somehow? Make gear that work exclusively in each place, perhaps even specific abilities that are PvE or PvP based. Yes it may sound overwhelming but it would really help to separate the two and start focusing on some real balance - Instead of this bullsh*t where a PvE change has a major impact on PvP and vice versa.

Maybe that's too radical but it just seems like there's two distinct groups and every time Blizzard has to balance, it has a negative impact on one of them. Having them separated would open so many possibilities and perhaps make PvP more fun, also do away with the constant uncertainty; is my class going to be sucking the floor next week or going through players like train?

Not at all, separation of PVE and PVP is what made Guild Wars so popular with the PVP crowd and I don't see any real argument against it.

Have a dedicated PVP talent tree group with different skill and talents and dedicate another team to manage it.

Problem is that WoW is now being run by the B team and just ticking over to bring in sub money, they probably could still get buy with half the subs they have now and are focussed on D3, SC2 and whatever Titan is.

strafer

Well then...

In preparation for the upcoming release of Mists of Pandaria, updates to World of Warcraft will no longer support Microsoft Windows 2000. Microsoft ceased support for this version of their operating system in 2010. Players still using Windows 2000 are encouraged to upgrade prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mists of Pandaria is DOOMED!

FLEABttn

Banned
They're just saying they aren't going to ensure Windows 2000 compatibility anymore and won't test for it. In all likelihood, it'll still work just fine on Windows 2000, at least for a while.

Though anyone still running Windows 2000 should really look into not running Windows 2000.

Einchy

Jeez, thanks captain for that ESPN worthy breakdown.

I wasn't misunderstanding him, I was disagreeing.

You're so hostile, chief.

Kisaya

Rant: So on raid finder I won some leggings and apparently it never dropped into my inventory, so I'm guessing I had to loot it... I should have checked just in case but I lagged horribly the whole time and it didn't really cross my mind to loot the boss DX I still won a ring though but I'm so sad and I feel so stupid to have lost those leggings ;_;

Rant: So on raid finder I won some leggings and apparently it never dropped into my inventory, so I'm guessing I had to loot it... I should have checked just in case but I lagged horribly the whole time and it didn't really cross my mind to loot the boss DX I still won a ring though but I'm so sad and I feel so stupid to have lost those leggings ;_;

Well this week i lost all my rolls to crappy DPS again so i didn't fair any better. So far i have won one item since the whole thing started.

Kisaya

Well this week i lost all my rolls to crappy DPS again so i didn't fair any better. So far i have won one item since the whole thing started.

Uggghhh what sucks is my computer probably can't handle raid finder at all. The lag was so terrible and I've never had that problem with WoW (especially since all my graphic settings are at low too), so I'm not going to do it again until I figure out what's wrong. I NEED A NEW COMPUTER.

Uggghhh what sucks is my computer probably can't handle raid finder at all. The lag was so terrible and I've never had that problem with WoW (especially since all my graphic settings are at low too), so I'm not going to do it again until I figure out what's wrong. I NEED A NEW COMPUTER.

What spec do you play? Lately i've been having some similar problems so i'm trying to avoid healing or tanking till it's finished. At least this was when i D/C it isn't going to cause a wipe.

Kisaya

What spec do you play? Lately i've been having some similar problems so i'm trying to avoid healing or tanking till it's finished. At least this was when i D/C it isn't going to cause a wipe.

I'm a Marksman Hunter. If I were tanking or healing I would have definitely wiped everyone, I feel horrible though that I wasn't doing the best dps that I could :/

I'm a Marksman Hunter. If I were tanking or healing I would have definitely wiped everyone, I feel horrible though that I wasn't doing the best dps that I could :/

I'm sure the group understands and if it didn't cause a wipe i wouldn't worry too much. Also looking at the average DPS in raid finder i wouldn't be surprised if you would beat a lot of them anyway.

Guild got our first Madness kill tonight, had two druid polearms drop, no druids in the raid.

Welp.

I was kinda surprised when i saw multiple of the same item dropping. I have no idea why but i sort of assumed you wouldn't get doubles. Not sure why i thought that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I believe that if you really won an item but forgot to take it or it didnt automatically went into your bag, you can put a ticket so that a GM can send it to you through mail. They did that for me when the same thing happened back when heroic Zulgurub was still new and i didnt get the 2h mace that i won. Maybe they'll need something like a date and time to help them get it back quicker, i dunno, but it wouldn't hurt.

Kisaya

I believe that if you really won an item but forgot to take it or it didnt automatically went into your bag, you can put a ticket so that a GM can send it to you through mail. They did that for me when the same thing happened back when heroic Zulgurub was still new and i didnt get the 2h mace that i won. Maybe they'll need something like a date and time to help them get it back quicker, i dunno, but it wouldn't hurt.

Oooooooohhhhh I'll try that! Thank you so much!!!

Kyzer

Banned
Started playing again, on Black Dragonflight.

Got recruited by my friend, the xp bonus is clutch.

If anyone is looking to start playing let me know and I'll recruit you! We get 3x xp together till lvl 80 and some other stuff.

I have a weird situation here...

I just got this puzzling email from "WoWAccountAdmin@blizzard.com" 3 hours ago stating my account was banned for selling gold. Of course, I immediately assumed it was just another phishing attempt that somehow got passed the spam filter.

Out of tickling curiosity, I log into battle.net (not though the email's links), and find that, indeed, my account really is banned. Then I decided to check some of my character's profiles... Stripped naked and has earned achievements 2 days ago!

Now, I'm sitting here flabbergasted because... I have not subscribed to WoW in over 2 years! What the shit?!

[Screenshot of email]
[Link to one of my characters]

I don't know if I'll ever play WoW again, but this still has me kind of unnerved if an account that has not been touched in over 2 years can still get hacked. And I think of myself as someone who maintains their security pretty damn well.

But yeah... I've sent a ticket to Blizzard...

I don't know... Maybe I needed to rant? Anyone else have this happen?

Cheers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mail was a phishing attempt and you got hacked out of coincidence. It's very common to get hacked even if you haven't subscribed to WoW for a while.

Wow, so I got my ticket answered in less than an hour, and the ban was removed. I did a little browsing around and found "1/16/12 - N/A - Seven Day Credit - Pending" in my Account History. Does this mean I can play for a few days free? If so, I'm very tempted to download the client and log in just to see the damage... And maybe bother a few friends (if they're still around).

And I also wouldn't mind driving around my Mekgineer's Chopper again, Lol

TheYanger

Wow, so I got my ticket answered in less than an hour, and the ban was removed. I did a little browsing around and found "1/16/12 - N/A - Seven Day Credit - Pending" in my Account History. Does this mean I can play for a few days free? If so, I'm very tempted to download the client and log in just to see the damage... And maybe bother a few friends (if they're still around).

And I also wouldn't mind driving around my Mekgineer's Chopper again, Lol

7 day credit sounds like you can play yep.
Wow has a lot of issues, but fi you haven't played since pre-cata there's a lot you've missed. Probably worth it

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A healer who died 1 min after the beginning of the Madness of DW(Raid finder of course) won the healer mace at the end.

Fucking RNG. I knew it would happen.

A healer who died 1 min after the beginning of the Madness of DW(Raid finder of course) won the healer mace at the end.

Fucking RNG. I knew it would happen.

I got fucked twice in the same LFR last week. I was on my resto sham, the healer shield drops, some noob holy pally wins it (shadow priest was doing more healing than him). Then on Spine of Deathwing, the 390 Mail Belt with Intel/Spirit drops twice, 2 elemental shaman wins them.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
In LFR how do healers decide who's gonna heal who? Does everyone just play whack-a-mole on their raid frames or do they figure out who'll raid heal or tank heal in whispers?

Einchy

In LFR how do healers decide who's gonna heal who? Does everyone just play whack-a-mole on their raid frames or do they figure out who'll raid heal or tank heal in whispers?

Beacon on main tank

HOLY RADIANCE SPAM
HOLY RADIANCE SPAM
HOLY RADIANCE SPAM

That's how I do it, at least.

[edit]

I was in one group were all the healers were put in the same party and coordinated a bunch. That's the only coordination between healers that I've seen in LFR.

Top Bottom