• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

First, we.are.the.armada, don't worry so much, the LFR loot distribution is pretty smart. The trinkets are all pretty well defined according to role and the individual items are getting looted to classes that can use them effectively. But yes, the rule of thumb in LFR right now is roll need by default. I usually do this whether I need the item or not and if I win it, I'll look over everyone's current gear and stealth trade it to the person I think could benefit from it most. It's a fun way to be a secret santa in LFR if you're already well geared.

Second, the NeoGAF guild on Area 52 is way wayyyyy low key right now. I expect it to pick up drastically when Mists of Pandaria hits. We're all just in a holding pattern waiting for the influx of pandas and monks, anyway. We have no specific ambitions in PvE or PvP, but if anyone wants to ever organize something substantial, there's nothing stopping them from doing so. I think I'm gonna turn on guild repairs in a few weeks, once we get a substantial amount built up in the gbank...

I was planning on developing my hunter on Area 52 soon, but I've gotten distracted with raiding on my Hordies. I'm having a problem also keeping interest in the Hunter class in general, though.

Third, you guys think bad weapon drops in LFR is bad? Try getting the useless stuff in your normal runs. My rogue, the badass with the stage one daggers, also has 2 Nokaleds and a Blade of the Unmaker from DW now. I've gotten one drop ever DW kill by defualt and the others in my 10 man are getting pissed.

TheYanger

Hey, WoW-Gaf, forever a lurker, first time poster. Been playing SWTOR since release, was loving it, and now quitting because of 1.1... so I'll be returning to WoW. I've read on numerous occasions that there are wow-gaffers on MG-Horde and that happens to be my realm as well!

so I was wondering if anyone wanted to PvP / LFR / anything together ? : )

Names -
Cupcakecaptn - 85 rogue
Lexikoon - 85 prot warrior (yes.. I tank!)

I've been on mal'ganis for most of the last two years.
Marza is my main, I rarely play my alts, but you can also find me on Azram from time to time. There are a few other gaffers around as well. I've been playing SWtOR during my 'down' time a lot lately but I still play wow a lot so if I'm on feel free to ask for help or whatever else, I'm friendly I swear!

oneils

Well looks like my account got completely banned. The gold I didn't really care too much about, but being locked out of my account that I have had since like 2008 sucks.

Anyway, I tried to do an account recovery thing, see what happens with that, its worth a shot.

That sucks. Maybe if you plead ignorance, they will have mercy on you? Hope the recovery works.

Arcanite Fishing Pole get! Managed to win the contest at 64, got so lucky with spawns.

Nice!

When I won, I picked the trinket - the fishing pole at the time still had the old boring model/texture.

Never tried too hard after winning the one time though. I like the Stranglethorn one better though since there's some real skill involved, rather than the complete chance that the Northrend one is.

Winning it is a great feeling though. Had a huge rush afterwards (and all the adrenaline during!)

Rokam

Nice!

When I won, I picked the trinket - the fishing pole at the time still had the old boring model/texture.

Never tried too hard after winning the one time though. I like the Stranglethorn one better though since there's some real skill involved, rather than the complete chance that the Northrend one is.

Winning it is a great feeling though. Had a huge rush afterwards (and all the adrenaline during!)

Really wish they'd add more for fishing. Since you don't need points to fish in pools there should be a bonus to fishing in open water.

Alright fellas, gonna try to start a little bit of discussion. It's almost been two months (54 days exactly) since the release of patch 4.3: What's the major consensus of the patch? What are your opinions on it?

What are you currently doing in game at the end cat's life nearing the birth of MoP?

Personally, It made the wait for Pandaland worse : ( I've been waiting for to play as a pandaren since they were rumored for burning crusade. The moment the floodgates of mists open, I'll be rolling a panda monk! :D

Now, the reason the wait has been made longer by the content patch is this... Oh and I'm sure you're saying, "but pinksocks, how can you say the wait was worsened with the addition of new content!"

Well, young padawan, let me tell ya!

When I first heard about 4.3 I was thrilled. I could finally take out Deathwing and I didn't need to rely my guildmates (which are currently MIA as they wait for MoP) to take the big bad out.. I could simply queue for raid! God, LFR was such a great thing when I -first- heard about it.. being a WoW player since day 1, and have been there from first killing ony40 on mal'goonis was thrilling but also a bitch as putting together the raid was always hell.. now I could simply select the raid I wanted and hit 'queue 'and be killing the first boss in minutes! Fantastic!

Unfortunately, that's not how I felt. It just showed me how truly utterly stupid the majority of the people that play warcraft are... the first weeks of LFR were hell.. was like trying to herd a pack of chickens without heads. I created macros for every boss explaining strats / and what to do as the fight progressed (this was necessary as most bads don't have omen / DBM). So what LFR actually did to me was really just make me miss organized raiding so much more. Made me miss my guildmates and raiding every night.

It also showed me how Blizzard really killed the sense of 'hardcore' raiding.. I remember back in the day doing AQ40 (as a warlock) and spending DAYS trying to get my nature resist / shadow resist sets as I high as I could... and how awesome tanking as a warlock was. Now, even the most hardcore guilds flew through Dragon Soul in a short few weeks :(

Now.. what I could do is of course, join one of the dozens of raiding guilds which spam trade chat 24/7 trying to fill their roster... but why? the gear I get will only be replaced in a couple months when MOP releases :(

I could.. PVP! Well, no, I can't. PVP seems to be the hardest thing to try and get into at the life of an expansion. This is because every other PVPer.. has their gear already. They're in place to pubstomp on sillies like myself : ( Played ~10 games today, won two.. which was extremely disheartening and made me want to stop playing.

I should keep doing my dailies.. but I just don't have the will to keep playing. My problem with this content patch is this: The raid sucked, LFR made me cry sad kittens, the dungeons added, while having some fun bosses, and being short in duration to complete, aren't fun enough to repeat for "funs". Finally, PVP just doesn't seem viable at this point.

What I'm currently doing: Lunar Festival! : ) I'm finally going to complete my "What A Long, Strange Trip It's been" achievement! Especially now that I have WoW annual pass so my account will be subbed for the next year. Besides "To Honor One's Elders" I have "Nobel Gardener", "Fool for Love", and "For the Children" to complete.. really excited about finally completing this achievement and getting that drake :D

I'm considering leveling an alt because of all the new 1-6o content I still have yet to explore and quest in... but I'm not sure what to play (Main: Rogue ||| Alt: Warrior) but most importantly, do I really want to level another character this close to an expansion.. where I'll be leveling and playing another race/class combination as soon as MoP releases.

Et Tu? :) What about you guys? How do you feel about 4.3.. for better or for .. hatred. What are ya currently doing ingame?

so guys, I come to you guys for some advice: What should I do? Don't say take a break till MOP, because I just did, and played SWTOR (and left when they released patch 1.1) and I only just got back here!

short version: drunk, playing wow, and bored, but want to have fun, also wants to discuss YOUR opinions on 4.3 and what you are doing ingame : )

*hit submit, what have I done?!*

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Seems like doing achievements is the only thing left for you to do if you dont want to use the LFR, do BGs, do 5 mans, do dailies or do guild raiding. That and try to collect gear for transmogrification.

Personally, i play with friends and do dungeons and LFR. And trading my valor points into conquest points or do bgs on my paladin just so i can get the awesome looking Season 11 set eventually. Healing bgs when you're a geared holy paladin can be so satisfying when you know you just made your team won(aka only healer in your group). Already got the shoulders and gloves and will get the pants this week once its reset.

I know bgs can be hard when youre undergeared, but you could just do dungeons and trade justice points into honor points if you wanna skip that painful process of getting killed in a few hits because you have barely any resilience on your character. There's also some 377 blue PVP gear being sold in the AH.

Miletius

Alright fellas, gonna try to start a little bit of discussion. It's almost been two months (54 days exactly) since the release of patch 4.3: What's the major consensus of the patch? What are your opinions on it?

What are you currently doing in game at the end cat's life nearing the birth of MoP?

Personally, It made the wait for Pandaland worse : ( I've been waiting for to play as a pandaren since they were rumored for burning crusade. The moment the floodgates of mists open, I'll be rolling a panda monk! :D

Now, the reason the wait has been made longer by the content patch is this... Oh and I'm sure you're saying, "but pinksocks, how can you say the wait was worsened with the addition of new content!"

Well, young padawan, let me tell ya!

When I first heard about 4.3 I was thrilled. I could finally take out Deathwing and I didn't need to rely my guildmates (which are currently MIA as they wait for MoP) to take the big bad out.. I could simply queue for raid! God, LFR was such a great thing when I -first- heard about it.. being a WoW player since day 1, and have been there from first killing ony40 on mal'goonis was thrilling but also a bitch as putting together the raid was always hell.. now I could simply select the raid I wanted and hit 'queue 'and be killing the first boss in minutes! Fantastic!

Unfortunately, that's not how I felt. It just showed me how truly utterly stupid the majority of the people that play warcraft are... the first weeks of LFR were hell.. was like trying to herd a pack of chickens without heads. I created macros for every boss explaining strats / and what to do as the fight progressed (this was necessary as most bads don't have omen / DBM). So what LFR actually did to me was really just make me miss organized raiding so much more. Made me miss my guildmates and raiding every night.

It also showed me how Blizzard really killed the sense of 'hardcore' raiding.. I remember back in the day doing AQ40 (as a warlock) and spending DAYS trying to get my nature resist / shadow resist sets as I high as I could... and how awesome tanking as a warlock was. Now, even the most hardcore guilds flew through Dragon Soul in a short few weeks :(

Now.. what I could do is of course, join one of the dozens of raiding guilds which spam trade chat 24/7 trying to fill their roster... but why? the gear I get will only be replaced in a couple months when MOP releases :(

I could.. PVP! Well, no, I can't. PVP seems to be the hardest thing to try and get into at the life of an expansion. This is because every other PVPer.. has their gear already. They're in place to pubstomp on sillies like myself : ( Played ~10 games today, won two.. which was extremely disheartening and made me want to stop playing.

I should keep doing my dailies.. but I just don't have the will to keep playing. My problem with this content patch is this: The raid sucked, LFR made me cry sad kittens, the dungeons added, while having some fun bosses, and being short in duration to complete, aren't fun enough to repeat for "funs". Finally, PVP just doesn't seem viable at this point.

What I'm currently doing: Lunar Festival! : ) I'm finally going to complete my "What A Long, Strange Trip It's been" achievement! Especially now that I have WoW annual pass so my account will be subbed for the next year. Besides "To Honor One's Elders" I have "Nobel Gardener", "Fool for Love", and "For the Children" to complete.. really excited about finally completing this achievement and getting that drake :D

I'm considering leveling an alt because of all the new 1-6o content I still have yet to explore and quest in... but I'm not sure what to play (Main: Rogue ||| Alt: Warrior) but most importantly, do I really want to level another character this close to an expansion.. where I'll be leveling and playing another race/class combination as soon as MoP releases.

Et Tu? :) What about you guys? How do you feel about 4.3.. for better or for .. hatred. What are ya currently doing ingame?

so guys, I come to you guys for some advice: What should I do? Don't say take a break till MOP, because I just did, and played SWTOR (and left when they released patch 1.1) and I only just got back here!

short version: drunk, playing wow, and bored, but want to have fun, also wants to discuss YOUR opinions on 4.3 and what you are doing ingame : )

*hit submit, what have I done?!*

4.3 was an ok patch, but as we've seen all expansion long, it's pretty short in the tooth with actual content, from my prescriptive at least. For many, LFR is great and it opens up something new for them to do. For me, I got 8 new bosses and 3 dungeons that I over geared and overpowered on day 1. Edit: The dungeons that is, not the raids.

That plus SWTOR has essentially created a situation where I'm just logging into WoW to raid and gear up while I wait for the Pandaria beta to start. I probably wouldn't even be logging in if I didn't up for a year.

Seems like doing achievements is the only thing left for you to do if you dont want to use the LFR, do BGs, do 5 mans, do dailies or do guild raiding. That and try to collect gear for transmogrification.

Personally, i play with friends and do dungeons and LFR. And trading my valor points into conquest points or do bgs on my paladin just so i can get the awesome looking Season 11 set eventually. Healing bgs when you're a geared holy paladin can be so satisfying when you know you just made your team won(aka only healer in your group). Already got the shoulders and gloves and will get the pants this week once its reset.

I know bgs can be hard when youre undergeared, but you could just do dungeons and trade justice points into honor points if you wanna skip that painful process of getting killed in a few hits because you have barely any resilience on your character. There's also some 377 blue PVP gear being sold in the AH.
Oh, I would LOVELOVELOVE my season 11 set. That's currently the grind I'm vested in. I think the armor looks so good for rogues. I currently have 1800 resilience ... how does that hold up against other pvpers.

Oh, I completely failed to mention transmorgify. I love the system. It has me returningg back to all the dungeons and raids that I once had a set from (wildheart - original droid dungeon set I had at level 60 I had on my gnome rogue) and gear/sets I would like to obtain (BWL for my BLOODFANG!! and other pieces here and there... like the illidans blindfold from BT).

Another reason why I'm trying to get the s11 is to get my transmorg boogy on!

Rokal

There are actually like 4-5 completely unique leveling paths you can take, especially if you're using heirlooms and stuff (since you'll skip zones which would then be 'fresh' for a future character). Leveling an alt is probably a really good use of time while you're waiting for MoP, and you don't necessarily need to spoil any zones you'll play on your monk.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

I've gone back to leveling my Frostmourne chars. Had 'em for over a year and they're all only level 39-49. 25 days played over all classes. It's ridiculous. I'm lengthening the leveling process. ;) My eventual goal is to reach 70 and sit there for a bit, maybe for good. Give myself something else to do other than max level.

I burnt myself out on my Gaf guild new 85 (Holy Pally). Got sick of logging on to farm inscription mats for Northrend research. Before I logged off her I just finished getting some pvp gear, the blue crafted ones and the 378 healing main hand and shield. Think I'm at 357 and 2k res. Not too bad for me given I'm lazy when it comes to gearing. Wish I was in the mood to play as the gear differences would have made a tonne of difference from what I was playing in before.

I'm really just waiting for the MoP beta, I can't wait. It'll be my first beta. :) So excited to hear them talk about the features more which they've hinted at will come soon. Most excited I've been about any expansion for some reason. The potential for it to be good is promising just hoping they nail all the things they've talked about.
I'm gonna level a Pandaren Monk too just hope they deliver with the server char list increase like they said.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh, I would LOVELOVELOVE my season 11 set. That's currently the grind I'm vested in. I think the armor looks so good for rogues. I currently have 1800 resilience ... how does that hold up against other pvpers.

Well, just as a comparison, my holy paladin has a mix of 371(from last season) and 390 PVP set, along with two 403 ones i bought with conquest points, and i got around 3700 resilience, which reduce all damage by about 37-38% i believe. And that's without a pvp weapon(using the Raid Finder version of Maw of the Dragonlord)

lordmrw

I'm actually satisfied with patch 4.3. It basically accomplished exactly what it needed to, giving non dedicated raiders the ability to raid on their own schedule. Not to say I'm not a deddicated raider but my normal guild group has had numerous personal issues that prevent most of them logging in so LFR has allowed me to see the content and gear up despite that. The raid itself I'm a bit disappointed in, the fact they recycled boss models and that the difficulty on LFR is too easy. The fights themselves I like and I look forward to doing on normal at some point.

Transmogging is a feature I hoped they would add for a long time and so I'm glad they did. In late 2010 before Cataclysm I rep grinded and farmed tons of old equipment just to keep myself occupied, that work paid off with this patch. Because of transmogging a large community has sprung up running old content for gear, I love that.

As for what I'm currently doing, in between LFR on my rogue I'm leveling two characters. I made a rogue on stormrage just to see what its like to play on a high population server (my main server is medium) and I made a druid named Ashketcham who's goal is to be the best pokemon battler in WOW come Pandaria.

After 4.3 dropped, I've been farming season 11 PvP gear. As a feral druid, that gear is top notch for me as a casual for PvE as well. I'm already overgeared for the 3 new instances, but I still enjoy doing them. I've been polishing off faction with tabards, fishing (which I haven't done since original WoW), and doing archeology (another skill I ignored). Holidays are keeping me busy doing dailies and trying for all the new non combat pets. The Darkmoon Fair gets major attention whenever it is available. I really like the area and I'm gunning for the bear mount first, then the non combat pets. I feel like I am accomplishing lots of long term WoW goals and starting new ones all the time, and I've been playing since release.

I also started a newbie rogue in full Heirloom to play with my wife. Levels are flying by so fast! It's amazing fun. Two rogues work very well together. This is the first alt I've played in years. I also have a Shadow Priest around level 55 from 3-4 years ago, but obviously do not play him. I did some lowbie PvP with my rogue last night and that was great fun. Apparently lowbie PvP is serious business! I did very well, if I do say so myself. Especially when you consider that I have never played another class in PvP before. In AB I held up 2-3 guys and kept them off a flag I was defending alone for a shameful amount of time(defending alone in AB, hard to imagine, I know!).

I'm a s active and involved in WoW now as I have ever been since launch. Great game, great people, and just so goddamn much to do at any given time.

frequency

So I thought I was over WoW.
I played a little bit of WotLK and raided up to the end of that place after Naxxramas (forget the name) and did a lot of PvP. But I haven't played "seriously" since earlier TBC.

I've been playing SWTOR for a month and so many things in that game just made me think about how much better WoW did it. I don't know anything about Cataclysm and the upcoming Pandaria expansion.

Would I be able to get back into this game starting from scratch?
I want to do a bit of everything, minus raids (don't want to deal with the time investment at this point in my life). Can I PvP and run dungeons fine? I've read a bit and I hear there's gear now that levels up with you, so like, you're always in the best gear for your level. But only for alts. So would everyone just be so far ahead of me in BGs and Instances that I wouldn't be able to compete as a new player?

How are the servers nowadays? Population-wise.
If I play again, do I have to buy Cataclysm for the re-done Azeroth?

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, you can get the 85 BoA Archaeology rares before hitting 85, I was thinking it wasn't possible. Just unlocked Tyrande's Favorite Doll on my 76 Pally. That'll be a nice entry level trinket for Holy at 85.

Tamanon

Banned
So I thought I was over WoW.
I played a little bit of WotLK and raided up to the end of that place after Naxxramas (forget the name) and did a lot of PvP. But I haven't played "seriously" since earlier TBC.

I've been playing SWTOR for a month and so many things in that game just made me think about how much better WoW did it. I don't know anything about Cataclysm and the upcoming Pandaria expansion.

Would I be able to get back into this game starting from scratch?
I want to do a bit of everything, minus raids (don't want to deal with the time investment at this point in my life). Can I PvP and run dungeons fine? I've read a bit and I hear there's gear now that levels up with you, so like, you're always in the best gear for your level. But only for alts. So would everyone just be so far ahead of me in BGs and Instances that I wouldn't be able to compete as a new player?

How are the servers nowadays? Population-wise.
If I play again, do I have to buy Cataclysm for the re-done Azeroth?

You should be fine for PvPing as you level. Definitely able to run dungeons fine. Just keep in mind there will be some melee with heirlooms that might tear you up, but some classes like Rogues and Hunters are good while leveling even without them.

Especially if you haven't played Cata yet, definitely go through the new 1-60 experience, it's astounding.

frequency

You should be fine for PvPing as you level. Definitely able to run dungeons fine. Just keep in mind there will be some melee with heirlooms that might tear you up, but some classes like Rogues and Hunters are good while leveling even without them.

Especially if you haven't played Cata yet, definitely go through the new 1-60 experience, it's astounding.

Thanks.

I would probably do a Priest (again).

I know it's largely dependent on servers, but are there any people leveling these days? I don't want to just be going through the zones alone, not seeing anyone. I like general chat and just seeing other players around.

Number45

Fuck leveling tailoring.

That is all.

Could be worse. At least it wasn't leatherworking.
It's odd, I see these two complained about all the time but I've levelled them both recently with minimal fuss. I did level them while levelling though, perhaps that helps? Had to buy a little Frostweave and a few scraps of leather here and there and that was about it.

Huh, you can get the 85 BoA Archaeology rares before hitting 85, I was thinking it wasn't possible. Just unlocked Tyrande's Favorite Doll on my 76 Pally. That'll be a nice entry level trinket for Holy at 85.
Is that BoP, or can you send it to another character?

idlewild_

It's odd, I see these two complained about all the time but I've levelled them both recently with minimal fuss. I did level them while levelling though, perhaps that helps? Had to buy a little Frostweave and a few scraps of leather here and there and that was about it.

They both require absurd amounts of materials. LW especially sucks if you're like me and don't have gathering professions on any toon. Trying to do the earlier parts that require like 20-30 stacks of low level cloth/leather really sucks, it can take a week of checking the AH just to grab everything you need. And then you hit 425+ and need like 1250 leather/1800 cloth...it's just annoying more than anything. I imagine BS is going to be similarly terrible when I get around to it.

Alchemy

My plan is slowly coming together...

Roll one of each class. Done.

Split them on two servers, one Horde one Alliance. Done.

Make sure they're all different races (Except Trolls and Humans because they suck). Done.

Level to 85 off rest exp. 4/10. Got my Hunter, DK, Warlock, and Paladin to 85. All Horde side, next highest is 39 so the track is bit longer now.

Get 85's their Xmog stuff. 3/10. Farming for the Paladins Tier 2 look alike set now. Working on Hunters Tier 2 set (can solo BWL), missing helm and chest but he has full Giantstalker.

Gear a couple characters and experience end game content, limited to LFR and random PvP so I don't have to deal with guild drama. Hunter is all geared up and cleared all the LFR stuff, going to gear up the Paladin for some PvE tanking and PvP it up later with some other character later. 1/3

Cap out crafts. Slowly working on them on guys but really overlooked in favor of leveling. Only guy with capped crafts is my DK, but he is skinning/mining so it doesn't really count.

Good thing I have the annual pass. The only cool thing here is that I don't have to schedule or dedicate anything to WoW with this plan. Since I'm limited to leveling on rest exp and crafting is a secondary goal I can WoW in bursts and still play other games.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

I would probably do a Priest (again).

I know it's largely dependent on servers, but are there any people leveling these days? I don't want to just be going through the zones alone, not seeing anyone. I like general chat and just seeing other players around.

Like you said, it's largely server dependent but in my experience I rarely see any at all. I'd be lucky to see 1-2 people in a full zone clear. Most are too busy sitting in cities queuing for bgs and dungeons. The game is a lot different in that sense than how it used to be. I find, if i want to be social, I'll just do the same and pvp or run a dungeon that seems to do the trick. You've always got your guild as well.

As for dungeons and pvp, if you try and keep your gear level and player level close together then you'll do well in turns of competing. (eg. 35-40 ilvl at level 40) You'll always get some who go for overkill and will destroy most.
In pvp, all you have to do is play smart; stick in groups, know your limitations and you'll learn pretty quickly how the game plays.
Hunters and Rogues tend to be very strong at low levels mainly because there will be very little you can do to retaliate to their constant attacks. Good Hunters won't let you near them and Rogues can almost one shot out of stealth.

Tamanon

Banned

Is that BoP, or can you send it to another character?

BoA thankfully, so nice to pass around if need be or if you find an item you can't use yourself.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this on MMO-Champ blue tracker, thought it was interesting enough to post.

http://wow.realmpop.com/

Realm Pop shows you population statistics on the players' characters in World of Warcraft.

You can find out the most popular races and classes on your realm, or across all realms, or across a subset of realms that you choose (for example, PvP realms, or Oceanic realms). On realm pages, with each subset you choose, you will also get a partial list of characters so you can look them up on the Armory.

frequency

Like you said, it's largely server dependent but in my experience I rarely see any at all. I'd be lucky to see 1-2 people in a full zone clear. Most are too busy sitting in cities queuing for bgs and dungeons. The game is a lot different in that sense than how it used to be. I find, if i want to be social, I'll just do the same and pvp or run a dungeon that seems to do the trick. You've always got your guild as well.

As for dungeons and pvp, if you try and keep your gear level and player level close together then you'll do well in turns of competing. (eg. 35-40 ilvl at level 40) You'll always get some who go for overkill and will destroy most.
In pvp, all you have to do is play smart; stick in groups, know your limitations and you'll learn pretty quickly how the game plays.
Hunters and Rogues tend to be very strong at low levels mainly because there will be very little you can do to retaliate to their constant attacks. Good Hunters won't let you near them and Rogues can almost one shot out of stealth.

I wonder if my previous experience with the game left me with any transferable skills or whatever. Do we know if many new players come into WoW these days? Or can I basically expect to be playing with people's alts?

I don't think anyone answered.

The 1-60 revamp was a free patch for everyone before cataclysm launched.

Great thanks.
I'll probably resubscribe for 1 month to check out at least the new Cataclysm leveling stuff.

I wonder if my previous experience with the game left me with any transferable skills or whatever. Do we know if many new players come into WoW these days? Or can I basically expect to be playing with people's alts?

New people are around, but fairly rare. Most of the time, low-level characters will be alts. You definitely know it if they're wearing Bind on Account armor.

This is why I think Blizzard should be more focused on keeping the most dedicated players interested, rather than putting much effort in attempting to attract new players. I think the game has peaked for the most part, saturation-wise.

idlewild_

I found enchanting to be pretty easy to level, and a lot cheaper than tailoring/lw/jc, though not quite as cheap as inscription or alchemy. A lot of the early mats are dirt cheap, only real problem comes with the BC mats, but luckily those levels are fairly quick. For the wotlk ones you can just grab an enchanter friend and have them shatter abyss crystals for you for easy dust/essences. You can make profit leveling the cata skill points even if you buy all mats off the AH as long as you choose appropriate enchants to use for skill ups.

Number45

Yeah, only serious money I recall spending levelling Enchanting was on the rods. And even that wasn't that serious, a few hundred gold here and there.

I seem to be the only person in the game that levels two professions as they level a character, and leaves them there. But then I'm far from a min/maxer in this game (because I don't do content that requires it), which is odd in itself because I'm hugely anal about it in other RPGs.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah, only serious money I recall spending levelling Enchanting was on the rods. And even that wasn't that serious, a few hundred gold here and there.

I seem to be the only person in the game that levels two professions as they level a character, and leaves them there. But then I'm far from a min/maxer in this game (because I don't do content that requires it), which is odd in itself because I'm hugely anal about it in other RPGs.
The only crafting profession I'd level while leveling is enchanting. Due to use of gear. I couldn't as I chose a level 70 to bring to 85 and put it on.

Everything else? Since 1-80 is so fast you eventually keep hitting snags where you need to farm some items and that's a waste of time without a 310% mount. You can save all the herbs, leather, cloth, and ore you need and gathered while leveling. Then go back and get what you need.

There are crafting profession guides that say the exact amount.

Back to enchanting, I had blacksmithing and it was a bitch when I used it for enchanting rods. Getting the patterns and mats for them and etc.

I always level with double gathering for pure profit (310% mount at level 80 + a few thousand more) and drop the one I don't need.

Number45

I make a point of ensuring that I'm of the relevant profession level before moving on. If I'm too low I'll check up on WH (I use wow-professions so that I know roughly what I need) where's the best farming spot and farm there for a while until I have what I need. If it's particularly slow going (hello Frostweave) then I'll buy from the AH.

daedalius

So do we have any idea when MoP's supposed release date?

I'm actually looking forward to going to a new continent with new content and places to explore. Might resub close to release so I can do the new dungeons in 4.3 and trolololol through the LFR.

Alchemy

I'm actually looking forward to going to a new continent with new content and places to explore. Might resub close to release so I can do the new dungeons in 4.3 and trolololol through the LFR.

A lot of people are looking at the fall, but I'm guessing late spring. They're already pretty far ahead with what we saw at Blizzcon and they've mentioned before they want to release expansions at a higher frequency.

Plus I think they want to kick GW2 in the balls a little.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I make a point of ensuring that I'm of the relevant profession level before moving on. If I'm too low I'll check up on WH (I use wow-professions so that I know roughly what I need) where's the best farming spot and farm there for a while until I have what I need. If it's particularly slow going (hello Frostweave) then I'll buy from the AH.
As I said it's a waste of time without 310% flying.

Say I want to level tailoring and skinning. I'm only going to get an X amount of cloth between 1 and 80. Spending excess time farming is dumb when you can stock pile it for later.

Leveling skinning and herb will make a ton of bank, you'll have all the cloth you gathered, and you can go back with a 310% mount to power level tailoring and one shot everything.

Now if you want to do tailoring and enchanting then that's the only thing I'd do from the get-go.

Number45

As I said it's a waste of time without 310% flying.
I think this is probably where we differ - I'm never in any rush to get anywhere and find a little mindless killing soothing every now and again.

On that subject I only recently forked out the extra 4k for 310% flying, it really seems like a lot of money for an insignificant speed boost - in fact it costs the same as the boost from 150% to 280% if I remember correctly.

Entropia

No One Remembers

There's no way it's anything past late spring/early summer. Current end game has been cleared in full, Blizzard is introducing a nerf to help people clear through content. If they want to keep subscription numbers and not lose them due to boredom they'll need to have it out with 6-7 months at the most.

I think I remember Boubille said on MMO-CHamo that they (Blizzard) plan to ramp up MoP information in February.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I think this is probably where we differ - I'm never in any rush to get anywhere and find a little mindless killing soothing every now and again.

Leveling from 1-85 on multiple characters has a ton of mindless killing.

Going back to farm stuff is mindless killing.

robertoci

Hey guys new to the WoW forum and pretty new to gaf :) I got a few questions and if anyone can answer them it'd be much appreciated.
1. I haven't read through all the forum so pardon my ignorance but is there a gaf guild in the EU servers?
2.If so which server?
3. Can I join :)

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom