• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Well, it's started happening. Several guildies who bailed for Star Wars, citing how bad WoW became, came back tonight. Citing how boring SW became. A few more are supposed to come back soon.

Ripclawe

Banned
Well, it's started happening. Several guildies who bailed for Star Wars, citing how bad WoW became, came back tonight. Citing how boring SW became. A few more are supposed to come back soon.

froze my account six months ago and yeah... I am coming back when its released. damn pandas.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Man now that I'm back into Wow I'm tempted to pay the $25+ to transfer my old 70 warrior from my frozen account and boost another class to 80 and then transfer that class to my main lol. Also have a 65 shammy on my frozen account but not sure if he's worth transferring over.

Tess3ract

Banned
I hope pets and mounts are account bound.

For some reason I didn't get my celestial steed on my old druid or the pets that hsould be account bound?

Maybe it was because used the SoR to boost him from 3->80 lol

Fuck leveling a druid

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I hope pets and mounts are account bound.

For some reason I didn't get my celestial steed on my old druid or the pets that hsould be account bound?

Maybe it was because used the SoR to boost him from 3->80 lol

Fuck leveling a druid
Should have been mailed to all existing characters, and show up in the mail for all new characters.

i have some questions on this scroll business, when you get a scroll, does it give you 7 days free time immediately, and THEN for example can i make a new character (say, a warlock :p) and boost him to 80? Or must i already have a low level character and they're the only ones i can boost?

Tess3ract

Banned
i have some questions on this scroll business, when you get a scroll, does it give you 7 days free time immediately, and THEN for example can i make a new character (say, a warlock :p) and boost him to 80? Or must i already have a low level character and they're the only ones i can boost?
I think you have to already have to have an existing character.

Also it starts as soon as you redeem it.

I filled all my char slots on my main server ages ago, good idea :)

Still need to level a warrior (26), warlock (27), hunter (24), rogue (27), priest (38).

My others is a shaman (69), mage (81), dk (80) (on another server), and now a druid that's 80.

My main was an 85 Ret pally but I dropped that because of all the ret changes making the spec fucking boring and tedious.

Tess3ract

Banned
i think i have a lock already, but he's on alliance and at cata's release i switched to horde :(
You get an upgrade to 80 plus a free faction and server change. it's a retardedly good deal lol

25(server)+30(faction)+40(cata upgrade not counting if you only have bc or vanilla) plus all that grinding saved and gold saved getting to 80 with all the benefits.

Sciz

You can make a new character. The guy I used one on made a druid, then boosted and transferred it to my server.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The FAQ says you can create a level 1.

When I claim my rewards, can I boost a new character from 1 to 80?
You do not need to select a character already on the account to receive the Scroll of Resurrection rewards. To claim the rewards on a new character, log in to your account and create your new character before claiming your rewards on your Battle.net Game Management page.

I distinctly remember a blue doing damage control saying something like "we're not giving away free 80's, you're boosting an existing char" but that's b.s. either way

You get an upgrade to 80 plus a free faction and server change. it's a retardedly good deal lol

25(server)+30(faction)+40(cata upgrade not counting if you only have bc or vanilla) plus all that grinding saved and gold saved getting to 80 with all the benefits.

They do this but cant do a multi transfer on single accounts for a good price. The bastards!

Ground out my nether ray rep in a few evenings, surprisingly fast to be honest.

blackflag

The FAQ says you can create a level 1.

I distinctly remember a blue doing damage control saying something like "we're not giving away free 80's, you're boosting an existing char" but that's b.s. either way

Yeah I definitely accepted the scroll, then logged in and created a new character, went back to the claim rewards screen and boosted it to 80.

I have 1 more I can use. I assume they aren't going to let me save it and boost a Monk. I think I'll hold on to it unless they confirm that you can't.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah I definitely accepted the scroll, then logged in and created a new character, went back to the claim rewards screen and boosted it to 80.

I have 1 more I can use. I assume they aren't going to let me save it and boost a Monk. I think I'll hold on to it unless they confirm that you can't.
I doubt it. Realm First Feats of Strengths.

Rokal

Pretty sure you have 30 days to use the boost/transfer/faction change.

And the offer for free 80s and server/faction transfers also is only available for a limited time. The whole promotion will have ended long before MoP launches.

A better question will be whether Pandaren/Monks can receive RAF level grants. I could see why they might disable it (feats of strength) but I'm really hoping they don't so that I can catch up to guild-mates fast for dungeon fun on my monk.

So...I'm thinking about coming back to Wow. Is there a gaf guild? I'm not trying to raid or anything, just have fun. I did all that with top 10 guilds in the world during vanilla.

I think I have a horde warrior on illidan that is 85 and thats all i can remember. i know i have characters scattered everywhere, as i've come and gone pretty much since vanilla.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So...I'm thinking about coming back to Wow. Is there a gaf guild? I'm not trying to raid or anything, just have fun. I did all that with top 10 guilds in the world during vanilla.

I think I have a horde warrior on illidan that is 85 and thats all i can remember. i know i have characters scattered everywhere, as i've come and gone pretty much since vanilla.

There's a horde guild on Area 52, it's not really active. People pop on their toons there every so often.

Dicer

Banned

If ya want a scroll PM me.

There's a horde guild on Area 52, it's not really active. People pop on their toons there every so often.

I expect things to pick up when Mists launches or shortly before. I know I plan on moving my main and maybe another toon from my current primary server over there in the lead up to Mists. Even if GAF people don't end up being active, the server is still one of the most populous and I could find another guild easily enough. It's certainly better than what I've had.

But I'm not playing at all at the moment. I'll come back a month or two before Mists, but not before (unless the current Scroll deal expires before then - I'd spend $15 on that earlier just to get a cheaper transfer.)

The only other options would be Illidan or Mal'Ganis really, a few others if I cared about faction balance. Otherwise you end up looking for a specific guild, which may or may not be on a healthy server, and which may or may not work out. (Albeit with RealID/Battletag dungeoning and LFR, you can sort of do try outs before committing to a transfer now - the risk of wasting your money is less severe than it was.)

Different news, different post.

MMO-Champ just posted a bunch of the new abilities/talents coming with Mists.

Warlocks really are getting an inordinate amount of love with all 3 specs getting reworked from the ground up. And a quest to get green fire! It's pretty absurd and makes me feel left out :(

Cipherr

Locks need it. I laugh when I play mines right now. Affliction and Destro mainly. Jesus, someone really needs to redo those two. Terrible.

Locks need it. I laugh when I play mines right now. Affliction and Destro mainly. Jesus, someone really needs to redo those two. Terrible.

Not saying they didn't need it, but it just seems like they are getting way more attention/improvements than anyone else.

On another note:

Ascendance: New - The Shaman surrenders his physical form to the power of the elements, transforming into a being of raw elemental energy for 15 sec. 3 min cooldown.

Elemental: While in the form of a Flame Ascendant, Lava Burst has no cooldown and Chain Lightning is empowered to become Lava Beam.

That sounds fucking awesome. Really want to see a video of that in action.

TheYanger

If anyone needs a scroll and wants to be mal'ganis horde hit me up in a pm with your email.

Man...pandaria didn't excite me much at blizzcon but it looks pretty badass now. can't wait to tank on my warlock alt that I never play.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
For those that haven't seen it yet, some clarification on Warlock tanks in MoP.

Ghostcrawler said:
Just to make our intent clear, the Glyph of Demon Hunting isn't intended to turn Demonology warlocks into a tanking spec. You won't be able to queue as a tank for Dungeon Finder for instance and won't have the survivability or tools of say a Protection paladin.

Historically, warlocks felt tankier than other casters and could even off-tank some encounters. We have made an effort in Mists to recapture some of that flavor. A warlock with this glyph should feel like they are about as effective tanking as an Arms warrior who pulls out a shield and swaps to Defensive Stance, or a Feral druid who goes into Bear form. You might be able to off-tank adds or pick up an actual boss for a short period of time if the tank goes down.

To make warlocks an actual tank would take more significant changes. For example, we want tanks to have to pick up separate tanking gear than their DPS gear (this is even true of druids) and want tanks to have to give up some of their DPS potential in exchange for their survivability. In short, it needs to be a commitment, and that's the sort of thing that needs larger gameplay changes than just a glyph.

That shouldn't stop the glyph of Demon Hunting from being fun though. As you can probably tell, we are trying to make even the major glyphs more about character customization and fun.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/219575-lock-tanks-good-other-1-role-class-changes/

Update:
Ghostcrawler said:
As some of you have pointed out, the glyph of Demon Hunting in your beta build doesn't deliver on what I described above as the design. The newer version of the glyph, hopefully available in the next beta build, allows a warlock to toggle in and out of the off-tank / survival mode, more like the druid going Bear or the warrior going Defensive.

The new shapeshift granted by the glyph is called Threatening Presence (PH) and adds Taunt and Fury Ward to the normal Metamorphosis toolkit. You still get the damage reduction from mastery instead of the damage boost from mastery while in this form. You can also choose to go into normal Metamorphosis even if you have the glyph. Let us know how it feels.

We appreciate all the feedback and passion on this topic. We expected this glyph would serve a pretty niche community and were surprised at how many players were excited about it. We are still in beta and are still very much experimenting with what kind of gamplay we can deliver in glyphs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For those that haven't seen it yet, some clarification on Warlock tanks in MoP.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/219575-lock-tanks-good-other-1-role-class-changes/

Update:
So basically it's just Rockbiter 2.0, except Rockbiter doesn't consume a glyph slot. I suppose it would make a pretty cool glyph for soloing old content or something, but I don't think that's what you first think when you read that. At the very least, just give Threatening Presence to Demo locks baseline, there's no reason at all to require a glyph slot for it if it's just a gimmick ability.

But of course I don't think anyone actually believed that Warlocks were going to get a tank spec based off of a Glyph or anything. It just sounds like the kind of thing that would be really cool and it's kind of disappointing they haven't considered anything like this as a real idea.

He's right though. It would make absolutely no sense to finally split up Feral into 2 trees, and then turn around and fuck it up again by making Demonology into the old Feral tree (with all its attendant problems).

They would have to do it properly, meaning a 4th tree for Warlocks. Or else convert the Demo tree into a dedicated tank tree, which would piss off a huge number of existing Warlocks. You can't throw the entire tanking role of a class onto one freaking glyph.

markot

Banned
The main thing is, why not add more of this stuff?

Why have 3 trees that all do dps? I mean, even with mages, Frost is the only one that feels different, so why not have frost/fire and a tree that does more than dmg?

I dont see why they want people to have all these gear sets outside of it letting them /played the game more so they dont need to put out content.

Even shaman, ranged/melee/heals, it works because each is unique and feels very different, with hunters, rogues, mage and locks, they dont exactly have 3 distinct playstyles, so why not mix it up? Beast as tank spec, arcane as a healing spec, combat as tank spec.

More variety and diversity just makes the game more fun and less same same.

Blizz is such a damn lazy company. Locks have needed an overhaul for how long? And instead they have to wait for the xpac. Class needs a fix? Pvp stuffed? Wait for xpac! We fix it then, if we dont, well wait for the next xpac!

Their content patches are abyssmal and their 'fixes' are always so slow. I understand why they do it, because its easier on them, but people are paying to be playing, and having broken specs, classes and shit and having to wait till the xpac for a hopeful fix is just funked up disco style.

Do we really have to turn this into a WoW General style crying fest? No spec in this game has been actually broken since like the end of Burning Crusade. Warlocks aren't broken at all, they're being given an overhaul, cool, good stuff. I'm leveling a warlock right now (level 81), and nothing screams "oh god, this shit is BROKE" like leveling my feral druid or running a disc priest felt like in vanilla WoW.

Beast as tank spec, arcane as a healing spec, combat as tank spec.
Because not everyone wants what you do, and in fact, believe it or not, most people who play DPS classes play them exactly because they enjoy DPSing with those trees. It's far too late to turn Arcane into a healing spec to please the 3 people out there who want that, and piss off the 294823 existing arcane mages who play it because they like how it is right now.

Khezu

If the demonology tree was turned into a tanking tree I would be fucking pissed honestly.

Demo is the only lock tree I like, and I fucking hate tanking.

They already fucked me over once, my main was a blood DK, that was the most fun DK spec, and currently still is, but its useless to me now.

markot

Banned
Except that they have been 'overhauling' the specs constantly and completely changing the play styles. You cant get stuck to things that change each xpac completely.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He's right though. It would make absolutely no sense to finally split up Feral into 2 trees, and then turn around and fuck it up again by making Demonology into the old Feral tree (with all its attendant problems).

They would have to do it properly, meaning a 4th tree for Warlocks. Or else convert the Demo tree into a dedicated tank tree, which would piss off a huge number of existing Warlocks. You can't throw the entire tanking role of a class onto one freaking glyph.

I agree that it was unlikely that they were going to add that without a full tree, but it's still disappointing that they don't seem to have any interest in it, particularly given this is a 6 year old game that is never going to be in tank-overload mode, even if every single class could tank.

I also think Demo is probably the least interesting of the warlock specs, really. I guess you can turn into super-Illidan for like 30 seconds, but that's not that interesting.

Except that they have been 'overhauling' the specs constantly and completely changing the play styles. You cant get stuck to things that change each xpac completely.
Weren't you just complaining about how they don't change things enough?

Anyway, they haven't redefined the entire role of a tree except, like, once in the whole game (with DKs). Apart from that, the most they've done is take trees that had no clear role at all (Balance, Discipline, Survival, etc.) and given them a logical role (balance is caster DPS, disc is heals, survival is DPS).

Turning combat rogues into tanks is going to piss off the vast majority of people who play combat rogues. Do you know why they play combat rogues? Because they enjoy how it is right now, and they enjoy DPSing with it. Like me, out of my 2 85s, one of them is a combat rogue in PvE.

Angry Grimace

If the demonology tree was turned into a tanking tree I would be fucking pissed honestly.

Demo is the only lock tree I like, and I fucking hate tanking.

They already fucked me over once, my main was a blood DK, that was the most fun DK spec, and currently still is, but its useless to me now.

I can't really fathom what was particularly fun about Blood Spec. It was just like the other two, except it did less damage unless you gemmed out for Armor Pen, making it difficult to switch between specs.

I actually felt like all three DK specs played very similarly in WLK, except for that moment in time where Unholy used Unholy Presence for the "10 second rotation," which was the most fun thing in the universe. All three specs were extremely predictable; we were skeptical of the rune redesign in Cataclysm, but honestly, it worked out pretty damn well. DK feels similar, but way more dynamic.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
There's no trees anymore.

The Druid Guardian spec is just 7 unique passive abilities and 6 cliche tank abilities.

Since the glyph doesn't modify mastery, that's a large clue it's not a actual main tank. And since they are doing the glyph instead of making a 4th tree that's another clue it's not an actual main tank.

But they should.

Maybe making an offtank is just to test the waters since it is less tweaking.

Angry Grimace

There's no trees anymore.

The Druid Guardian spec is just 7 unique passive abilities and 6 cliche tank abilities.

Since the glyph doesn't modify mastery, that's a large clue it's not a actual main tank. And since they are doing the glyph instead of making a 4th tree that's another clue it's not an actual main tank.

But they should.

It does modify mastery; the mastery for Demo Locks increases the benefit of Demonic Fury and the glyph modifies Demonic Fury into damage reduction.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It does modify mastery; the mastery for Demo Locks increases the benefit of Demonic Fury and the glyph modifies Demonic Fury into damage reduction.

Well, this it's pretty dumb to not just make a 4th spec. There's like half or more of the spell modifications and passive abilities in the glyph needed for a tank spec.

Khezu

I can't really fathom what was particularly fun about Blood Spec. It was just like the other two, except it did less damage unless you gemmed out for Armor Pen, making it difficult to switch between specs.

I actually felt like all three DK specs played very similarly in WLK, except for that moment in time where Unholy used Unholy Presence for the "10 second rotation," which was the most fun thing in the universe. All three specs were extremely predictable; we were skeptical of the rune redesign in Cataclysm, but honestly, it worked out pretty damn well. DK feels similar, but way more dynamic.

Oh, I agree all three specs are much better then what they were originally, they were super rigid, on tank and spank fights you could play with your eyes closed as long as you remembered the correct order to push your buttons.

I liked blood the most out of the 3 though, I just found it the most fun, I liked the abilities, I liked all the self healing, and I especially liked the aesthetics of blood.

The first half of WOTLK they did play similar, almost exactly the same even, just slightly different rotations, so its probably me just being shallow, but I will forever miss blood.

Angry Grimace

Oh, I agree all three specs are much better then what they were originally, they were super rigid, on tank and spank fights you could play with your eyes closed as long as you remembered the correct order to push your buttons.

I liked blood the most out of the 3 though, I just found it the most fun, I liked the abilities, I liked all the self healing, and I especially liked the aesthetics of blood.

The first half of WOTLK they did play similar, almost exactly the same even, just slightly different rotations, so its probably me just being shallow, but I will forever miss blood.

I think the one that sticks out to me was that up until 3.3 there was no discernible difference between Obliterate and Scourge Strike beyond the fact that Scourge Strike happened to do a little more damage.

Top Bottom