• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Went through all druid changes... I don't think I've ever experienced as many buffs as in MoP, in ANY game. This pleases Yoshi a lot.

MoP, come to me baby.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Went through all druid changes... I don't think I've ever experienced as many buffs as in MoP, in ANY game. This pleases Yoshi a lot.

MoP, come to me baby.

Well this makes me want to boost a druid on my other account and suck it up and pay the $25 to transfer it to my main. Of course once again I'm going through a race dilemma of going NE for shadowmeld yet I want a Worgen because they're just so badass.

Sarcasm

Well this makes me want to boost a druid on my other account and suck it up and pay the $25 to transfer it to my main. Of course once again I'm going through a race dilemma of going NE for shadowmeld yet I want a Worgen because they're just so badass.

NE is better.

strafer

Hahahaha :(

So we’ve obtained some additional insight about what exactly lies behind the use of the word “hope” in regard to our efforts to achieve green fire for warlocks. Essentially, we want this updated information out so that we can better manage expectations, especially as the announcement created such a flurry of excitement.

Unfortunately, dear warlocks, those of you who retained a modicum of skepticism were right to, as it would seem that the chance of green fire for warlocks is even less as likely as the wording of the original information indicated.

Since spell effects are not as simple to change around as — for example — druid forms are, we need some additional technology implemented in order to allow the use of red or green fire to be a player choice and not a permanent change that is put in place for all warlocks.

Also, technology aside, we want to do the introduction of something like green fire in the right way. Implementing it in “a quest” doesn’t really explain our stance here. We want something as substantial as this change to be an epic accomplishment for you.

So though we have definitely heard your thoughts on the matter, and we’ve explained what we want to do from our side, green fire will not be available with the launch of Mists of Pandaria. And we haven’t a timeframe to commit to, or communicate about, at this stage.

It is with regret that we were unable to clarify these details more when we first mentioned our intent — “our hope” — and we wish we hadn’t caused such excitement and raised expectations for those that didn’t instantly take the news with an “I’ll believe it when I see it” pinch of salt. It seems, as many of us said at the time here and on Twitter and fansites, the proof of the (green fire) pudding really was in the eating.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I read that a little earlier, was gonna post it but wasn't sure if I wanted to deliver two bad news items in the same day or not lol.

I'm not sure what they're trying to do with DK tanking. Looking at the new build notes, Frost Fever loses its debuff and DK tanks also lose the cooldown reduction on outbreak. So now we're back to using two global cooldowns and two runes to reapply our diseases every other time again? Awesome. It also looks like the damage has been significantly reduced on all our attacks (also removed the "causes a high amount of threat" from rune strike. Not sure if they don't intend for it to be a threat generator anymore).

I'm not sure what they're trying to do with DK tanking. Looking at the new build notes, Frost Fever loses its debuff and DK tanks also lose the cooldown reduction on outbreak. So now we're back to using two global cooldowns and two runes to reapply our diseases every other time again? Awesome. It also looks like the damage has been significantly reduced on all our attacks (also removed the "causes a high amount of threat" from rune strike. Not sure if they don't intend for it to be a threat generator anymore).

Yeah its pretty weird..

Echoplx

I'm not sure if I'm excited for the new hunter talents, it seems mostly the same with a few more self healing options.

I like the fact that everything is now percentage based instead of set values though.

I was pretty pissed at being forced to go blood for tanking and losing it as my DPS tree at the end of Wrath. I just liked the way blood worked for DPS - similar to arms warriors with the armor penetration stacking (though maybe not to as great an extreme). I also really enjoyed frost for tanking.

Never quite fully adapted after that switch.

Loxley

All this MoP buzz brought back an old problem of mine, I have no idea which character I want to spend time on. I've got my Paladin who's been my "main" since vanilla, my Shaman who's been my "second-'main" since TBC, I'm leveling a Druid, Hunter and Warrior as well. Then again I suppose there are worse problems to have withba seven year old game than "I have too much I want to do" :p

Is anything known going to happen to 1-80 leveling for MOP?

1-90 is a pretty long ride for alts.

One idea I've had for a while now (and for all I know this could be an incredibly stupid idea) is that to solve the issue of the level cap being intimidating or too high, Blizzard could just bring the cap back down to 60. What they could do is take all of the content in the game and re-balance it out, but for 60 levels. As for how we'd unlock to abilities since technically we'd be leveling up much slower is that during each level you could have two or three "checkpoints" of sorts (say, every third of the way through a level). Basically 1-60 would take just as long as 1-85 would in the current game, but with a lower level cap and just as much content you'd technically be gaining levels at a slower pace.

Elwynn Forest to Stranglethorn Vale in the current game is about levels 1-33 in the game's current state, with what I'm thinking, that would be re-balanced out to be, say, levels 1-12. You're not actually progressing any slower than you normally would, in fact no content would be removed in order to adjust for the lowered cap, it's just that psychologically, players might feel like they don't have as much to grind.

It's a weird idea, and I may be explaining it really poorly (and for all I know there's something I'm not considering that screws up the whole idea anyway) but I agree that with MoP, 90 levels sounds insane.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They sure have done a lot of pissing of Warlocks recently. :lol

All this MoP buzz brought back an old problem of mine, I have no idea which character I want to spend time on. I've got my Paladin who's been my "main" since vanilla, my Shaman who's been my "second-'main" since TBC, I'm leveling a Druid, Hunter and Warrior as well. Then again I suppose there are worse problems to have withba seven year old game than "I have too much I want to do" :p

One idea I've had for a while now (and for all I know this could be an incredibly stupid idea) is that to solve the issue of the level cap being intimidating or too high, Blizzard could just bring the cap back down to 60. What they could do is take all of the content in the game and re-balance it out, but for 60 levels. As for how we'd unlock to abilities since technically we'd be leveling up much slower is that during each level you could have two or three "checkpoints" of sorts (say, every third of the way through a level). Basically 1-60 would take just as long as 1-85 would in the current game, but with a lower level cap and just as much content you'd technically be gaining levels at a slower pace.

Elwynn Forest to Stranglethorn Vale in the current game is about levels 1-33 in the game's current state, with what I'm thinking, that would be re-balanced out to be, say, levels 1-12. You're not actually progressing any slower than you normally would, in fact no content would be removed in order to adjust for the lowered cap, it's just that psychologically, players might feel like they don't have as much to grind.

It's a weird idea, and I may be explaining it really poorly (and for all I know there's something I'm not considering that screws up the whole idea anyway) but I agree that with MoP, 90 levels sounds insane.
This is essentially anathema to the concept of expansions. It's quite literally a non-starter.

I get what you're saying, but it's sort of the say problem with the item squish that was talked about. Even though it balances out to be the same, there's a feeling of diminished power. In this case, probably even more so since people would actually be losing levels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Weapon damage percentages are back to WLK levels because they've increased the damage on the weapons themselves.

Unholy Blight works as an AoE outbreak, too. So you'd only have to manually apply diseases once every 40 seconds, and without the debuff applied by Frost Fever, there isn't any reason to apply it. The only tanking debuff left is "Weakened blows," which comes from Blood Plague.

Angry Grimace

I honestly don't see that Valor Point change staying in, primarily because Valor Points become ten times less compelling when they increase your item level of your bracers by 1 or something.

Xiaoki

He's right though. It would make absolutely no sense to finally split up Feral into 2 trees, and then turn around and fuck it up again by making Demonology into the old Feral tree (with all its attendant problems).

They would have to do it properly, meaning a 4th tree for Warlocks. Or else convert the Demo tree into a dedicated tank tree, which would piss off a huge number of existing Warlocks. You can't throw the entire tanking role of a class onto one freaking glyph.

Oooh, you piss off a portion of the least played spec of the least played class.

The prospect of Warlock tanking actually got a lot of people excited for Warlocks again and that Blizzard might be trying something new and different(a cloth spell tank) with WoW.

But, no, this is just some stupid "for fun" crap that will either be completely useless or broken, which will lead to it being immediately nerfed to hell and back.

This glyph has more time and effort put into than Rogues and Hunters combined and its just a giant waste.

With DKs currently in the toilet and feedback on Monks not being positive, I highly doubt I will be getting MoP. Congratulations Blizzard, you just made ArenaNet some money.

Weapon damage percentages are back to WLK levels because they've increased the damage on the weapons themselves.

Unholy Blight works as an AoE outbreak, too. So you'd only have to manually apply diseases once every 40 seconds, and without the debuff applied by Frost Fever, there isn't any reason to apply it. The only tanking debuff left is "Weakened blows," which comes from Blood Plague.

And at that point you're forced to take a talent at a given tier, which they claim they're avoiding.

Rokal

Is anything known going to happen to 1-80 leveling for MOP?

1-90 is a pretty long ride for alts.

Expect 80-85 to get a small xp boost, but otherwise nothing. The number gets higher every expansion but the time investment always remains managable. The amount of time it takes to go from 1-90 will still be less than the original 1-60 took.

Alchemy

Why make it optional? Warlocks use green fire in wow generally, most of the mobs do too....

Bah!

Yep, that's why I think that is complete bullshit. Not as simple my ass.

My guess is that the way WoW has effects set up is the just play animations on models, so for example Shadowbolt is just a model that plays a "projectile" animation. So this means that all the spell effects in the game are saved as individual 3D assets. Any mob that uses green fire is using a spell already associated with an effect file that is already using green fire.

It is unlikely that their effect system allows for this on its own. They would need to either copy every fire spell that warlocks have and have a green/red version and the skills call different effects based on talents. Or revamp their effect system to allow for color modulation through shaders but that is a big engine update since it would propagate to all spell effects in the game and would require a ton of testing to make sure it works.

Either way its going to be a bit wasteful for such a simple sounding change.

McNei1y

Expect 80-85 to get a small xp boost, but otherwise nothing. The number gets higher every expansion but the time investment always remains managable. The amount of time it takes to go from 1-90 will still be less than the original 1-60 took.

Yeah. Getting to 1-85 right now seems to take around 3-4 weeks depending on how often you play (can be a lot shorter).

My first 1-60 back in vanilla took like 2+months.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I know, that's why I asked about 1-80 only. Vanilla is gone man. A fresh 1-90 will take longer than a fresh 1-85 as far as alts and new players go. There's a point where xp nerfs aren't enough, which is why they did a hero class, RAF, and the free 80 scroll promotion.

At some point they need to encourage you to level alts and not rely on xp nerfs or recruiting someone.

Khezu

Kinda bummed that the level 87 DK ability is just execute. Better have a really fucking cool animation, I have enough generic strike attacks already.

Control undead is kinda cool though, probably an ability we should have had from the start, but w/e.

Mairu

As I'm still in the process of figuring out what class to main next expansion, I took a look at some of the class/specialization changes on mmo-champion. I'm kind of disappointed in that at the first look it seems like they've made most of the tank specializations much more similar than they already are. Druid tanking is building up enough rage to mangle, warriors is building up the same amount of rage for a similar block ability, and paladins do basically the same thing with holy power being used for wog or shield of the righteous. I guess I'll still have to wait for the beta to get to the point of testing 85-90 so I can try them all out for myself, but this doesn't make it easier to choose.

Monk tanks look kind of ridiculous just in terms of their abilities that I've read, but I'm not quite sure I am up for quickly levelling a new character as soon as MoP comes out to try and offtank as a monk (I'm the OT in a relatively hardcore raiding guild)

strafer

Temple of Kotmogu. Raid.

tC0EU.jpg

Istaerion

I reactivated it :(

Did you reactivate the account just recently or has it been some time? Should the former be the case, you can try contacting customer support and explaining your situation.

There's no guarantee they'll work with you, but it's certainly worth a shot given the many advantages of the promotion.

If things prove to be successful, I'm willing to help ya out with the scroll in the event that you have no one else in mind.

Arment

Re-subbed and did the 1 year dealio. Kind of immediately regretted it, but free Diablo 3 and such. Whatever. MoP is impressing me enough so they get my money.

Basically I'm going to level up either my Mage, Warlock or DK and get into raiding for a bit. Catch up on everything I missed and hopefully I'll get into the beta sometime inbetween there.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well finally keybinded all the abilities I have so far on my rogue /proud. Man I should have set this up years ago. I probably would've raided and done other cool stuff if I atually bothered to keybind and clean up my UI back then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zon'ozz is making me rip my hair off.

Trickster

I recently reactivated my account for a month. Tried out the new dungeons and raid. But honestly I felt like it was a very boring experience.

The dungeons didn't feel like they were made to be remotely challening, felt more like they were there as lore fluff and to allow people to get fast, easy items.

Then I tried out the new raid with the raid finder system. Which was probably one of the absolute low points in all my years of WoW experience. I had no idea about the tactics going into the raid, but I didn't die once. Nothing in the raid felt dangerous. So there weren't really any thrill or excitement while advancing through the various bosses. Killing a boss was no more exciting for me than killing a random 5 man dungeon boss. It was like "oh, he died...next". I get that the LFR difficulty can be as hard as the normal mode version. But goddamn, the ease of the raid and minimal time required, does not match the rewards.

Gotta admit that after doing the weekly raid 3 times I canceled my account again because it just felt so silly to keep playing WoW with a free epic system in place like the LFR system.

But it's not like blizzard is losing millions of subscribers a month yet. So a lot of people must still be enjoying the current state of WoW. I'm just wondering if people are still playing because their friends are playing, or if they genuinely enjoy doing the dragon soul raid in LFR mode week after week.

Will be interesting to see how MoP will turn out, the leveling zones and dungeons will probably be great. But the raids are what I'm curious about, if they are as easy in LFR mode as Dragon Soul is, MoP will probably be a very short adventure for me.

Yoshichan

Finally downed this asshole.

ch0mp

Will be interesting to see how MoP will turn out, the leveling zones and dungeons will probably be great. But the raids are what I'm curious about, if they are as easy in LFR mode as Dragon Soul is, MoP will probably be a very short adventure for me.
Don't expect much. LFR is supposed to be really easy. If you want a proper raiding experience you need to find a guild.

I recently reactivated my account for a month. Tried out the new dungeons and raid. But honestly I felt like it was a very boring experience.

The dungeons didn't feel like they were made to be remotely challening, felt more like they were there as lore fluff and to allow people to get fast, easy items.

Then I tried out the new raid with the raid finder system. Which was probably one of the absolute low points in all my years of WoW experience. I had no idea about the tactics going into the raid, but I didn't die once. Nothing in the raid felt dangerous. So there weren't really any thrill or excitement while advancing through the various bosses. Killing a boss was no more exciting for me than killing a random 5 man dungeon boss. It was like "oh, he died...next". I get that the LFR difficulty can be as hard as the normal mode version. But goddamn, the ease of the raid and minimal time required, does not match the rewards.

Gotta admit that after doing the weekly raid 3 times I canceled my account again because it just felt so silly to keep playing WoW with a free epic system in place like the LFR system.

But it's not like blizzard is losing millions of subscribers a month yet. So a lot of people must still be enjoying the current state of WoW. I'm just wondering if people are still playing because their friends are playing, or if they genuinely enjoy doing the dragon soul raid in LFR mode week after week.

I find LFR very boring as well, but LFR isn't for people like you and I. Normal mode still exists, and it's pretty reasonably challenging. My guild struggles to get 6/8 each week, though I did manage to kill Deathwing normal a couple of times in other guilds' runs that needed an extra member or two.

LFR will exist from here on out, so if the very existence of LFR pisses you off too much, that won't change.

Top Bottom