• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Mairu

Heroic modes being 'ball busting' difficult...I don't even know how to address that. This shit with the nerfs is far easier than any content we had back in vanilla or BC, BEFORE we had normal modes for shitty players to feast on.

At some point you can't just go 'lolelitist' and act like they're not easy as hell. Especially when the entire purpose of heroic modes is to BE difficult.

It feels like the population of heroic deathwing mounts doubled on my server this week :p

By the time they're done with the dmg/hp nerf debuff thing pugs will probably be killing 5/8 heroic on 10 man

Nugg

New beta patch! I can't seem to find any official patch note so I'm not sure what's in exactly

Pandaria is open, you can teleport from Orgrimmar/Stormwind. I'm in Jade Forest right now (it's glorious), but there isn't any quest so I'm a little bit confused. Level cap is raised, as I get XP killing random stuff. Mobs around me are 84-85. I still can't queue for dungeons.

I have to go to work in like five minutes. Will update tonight with more impressions.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I read what he said. No, they aren't.

You raid literally 5 nights a week and have done so for 6 years. It's like Slash arguing that the solo from Sweet Child O' Mine isn't difficult to play. Moreover, Slash doesn't have the option to tell Lord Afrastrasz to make it more difficult.

Khezu

Glyph of Winged Vengeance: Your Avenging Wrath depicts 4 wings.

This is a thing, why is this a thing?

Call Beast: New. Summons a powerful wild animal to assist you in combat for 12 sec. Each time the animal deals damage, you will gain 2 focus. 1 Frost, 1 Unholy, 30 yd range, Instant, 30 sec cooldown.

Interesting...

A Murder of Crows: New. Summons a flock of crows to attack your target over the next 30 sec. If used on a target below 20% health, the cooldown will be reset. 60 Focus, 40 yd range, Instant, 60 sec cooldown.

Could be cool, if only for the sweet graphic it will probably have.

Lynx Rush: New. Your pet rapidly charges from target to target, attacking 9 times over 4 sec, dealing its normal attack damage to each target. 100 yd range, Instant, 2 min cooldown.

Pet killing spree.

TheYanger

I don't raid 5 nights a week, I raid 3 nights a week and we've been farming for months. We carry apps, buyers, alts, all sorts of shit through these raids. THEY ARE EASY.
The statistics agree. Is everyone 8/8? no of course not, but LOTS of people have made decent progress according to the numbers. I take it as an insult to insinuate that a raid is 'absurdly hard' because there aren't 75% of all raiders farming the zone after a few months. With literally months UNTIL the next zone releases. I raided tonight with the wrong glyphs in. Glyphs that literally gave me 0 dps or utility. It made no difference. We have multiple buyers for Madness while we just bring in whoever needs loot with only the smallest concern for composition or strategy considerations. I do not think 'people need to play at about 75% of their capabilities' is demanding too fucking much for THE HARDEST OPTIONAL CONTENT IN THE GAME.

Boken

Banned
This is a thing, why is this a thing?
So paladins can now be...
Angels_of_Light_and_Hope_by_Angemon.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't raid 5 nights a week, I raid 3 nights a week and we've been farming for months. We carry apps, buyers, alts, all sorts of shit through these raids. THEY ARE EASY.
The statistics agree. Is everyone 8/8? no of course not, but LOTS of people have made decent progress according to the numbers. I take it as an insult to insinuate that a raid is 'absurdly hard' because there aren't 75% of all raiders farming the zone after a few months. With literally months UNTIL the next zone releases. I raided tonight with the wrong glyphs in. Glyphs that literally gave me 0 dps or utility. It made no difference. We have multiple buyers for Madness while we just bring in whoever needs loot with only the smallest concern for composition or strategy considerations. I do not think 'people need to play at about 75% of their capabilities' is demanding too fucking much for THE HARDEST OPTIONAL CONTENT IN THE GAME.

Here we go again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, except you already told the thread you only changed your raiding schedule starting with Dragon Soul to 3 days a week and that your raid schedule was 5 nights a week for the previous 5 years. Besides, your whole argument falls apart when you consider the fact you can just turn off the nerfs you're complaining about.

TheYanger

How does it fall apart again? I can just as easily say you don't need ot do heroic content in the first place. There's nothing 'new' to it aside from difficulty. That's the entire purpose of it.

Angry Grimace

How does it fall apart again? I can just as easily say you don't need ot do heroic content in the first place. There's nothing 'new' to it aside from difficulty. That's the entire purpose of it.
Sure, you could say that quite easily, but it would be entirely irrelevant and have nothing to do with your original argument, which was that the nerfs made heroic modes too easy. The fact is, you aren't turning the nerfs off and simultaneously arguing the game is too easy; its an inherently hypocritical argument.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sure, you could say that quite easily, but it would be entirely irrelevant and have nothing to do with your original argument, which was that the nerfs made heroic modes too easy. The fact is, you aren't turning the nerfs off and simultaneously arguing the game is too easy; its an inherently hypocritical argument.
Yeah. Difficulty in other genres is more a gameplay choice for personal challenge rather than a way to get superior items.

Two things that can be done is turn the buff and mods off.

But when you throw in gear, gold, legendaries, and mounts, people forget traditional difficulty settings where the main benefit is the fun of personal challenge regardless of what other people are doing.

But, no DeathNote, I gotta be in a race against others for e-peen.

Oh, and remember all the top guilds who get banned about every tier because of some exploit to make it even easier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When I see Paladin T14, it feels to me like the art directors of this game just wants to kill themselves. It's so uninspiring and incredibly dull.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That picture makes me depressed... what happened to those art directors?

Cipherr

Jesus Christ this. I just dont understand how this is so difficult to understand. "The heroic raids are so easy........ my guild is 5/8 with the new stacking debuff nerf that we choose not to disable so we can progress easily".

Not enough lol's in the world.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The real root of the entire "game is too easy" mantra from the hardcore raider crowd has always been mostly about one thing: status. The hardcore raiders want unique epic loot that only the hardcore raiders can attain. They want to stand out. They don't want anyone else to have a simple easy path to the same loot they are working 5 days a week for and farming the other two days for mats in order to attain. It's not enough to have the game be hard, it has to be hard for everyone else to get the same loot, and there can't be any shortcuts or complaining ensues.

And I can sort of see their point honestly. I think Blizzard gives achievements and flavor items like mounts for the heroic modes to help placate this, but most devoted raid for life people want more. They long for the days when you could look around the auction house and tell, by the gear, who had downed Ragnaros and who had not. Who had met the Twin Emperors in battle and who hadn't. It will never be like that again, the game is too mature and too content rich now to ever get back to that state, but lots of hardcore raiders want that environment, that feeling, again.

Peronally, I could care less. I'm going to join up any day now (I'm getting a free annual pass) just so that I get my free Diablo III, and I know I'll play WoW yet once more after my two year hiatus, but I'm done with hardcore raiding. I just don't have the time (nor urge) to do that again. I'm going to casually enjoy leveling ONE brand new toon, just one, doing every quest whether I get XP or not, stopping to sightsee and enjoy the beautiful environments and art of Blizzard. I'm going to actually read quest texts. I'm going to explore out of the way nooks just to see what's there. I'm not going to wear XP boosting gear. I'm not going to research best in slot gear or EJ most recommended talent builds. I will have three main goals in my gameplay of WoW this time:

1. Have fun. If I'm not having fun, I'll either change how I'm playing or take a break.
2. Get LoreMaster title. I want to do every quest in the game.
3. Take my time. Relax. Not rush to anything.

Sub-goals:

- level fishing, cooking, and all other professions as I level. Except archaeology, I might let that one lag a bit....
- buy every mount and pet I possible can.
- run every instance at least once along the way, especially the old ones

I'm not even going to use raiding as a goalpost this time around. In fact, I don't care what they do to raiding for MoP, it's not going to effect me one way or another. If I'm lucky I'll eventually get to see the new 5-man dungeons for MoP.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The real root of the entire "game is too easy" mantra from the hardcore raider crowd has always been mostly about one thing: status. The hardcore raiders want unique epic loot that only the hardcore raiders can attain. They want to stand out. They don't want anyone else to have a simple easy path to the same loot they are working 5 days a week for and farming the other two days for mats in order to attain. It's not enough to have the game be hard, it has to be hard for everyone else to get the same loot, and there can't be any shortcuts or complaining ensues.

Immediately made me think of this:

its-not-enough-that-I-should-succeed-others-should-fail.jpg

aesop

Locks always get the best tier armor, imo. Makes me wish I didn't switch to SP a while back after abandoning my old account. Though priest T6 transmog almost makes up for it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey Blizzard, its been a while since the beta started. How about sending that 2nd wave so i can get in? :(

Enosh

soo, whats the fastest (or rather easiest) way to get 4k for the epic flying?
74 now and sitting at around 1.2k, bought the northrend flying skill already since it was killing me not being able to fly away from the middle of every mob respawning

Chris R

January 2006, joined the day the annual pass was announced, never canceled my WoW subscription.

See now I could understand why you would be pissed off. Just hope I don't get into the beta before people like you, since my current account was created in Mid '09 and was canceled just after LK patch dropped. Resubbed and got the pass a few months back.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
January 2006, joined the day the annual pass was announced, never canceled my WoW subscription.
I've paid for like 77% of the past 7 years. I'm worried about how I had my account frozen about 80% of the time. I always wanted to make sure I had the money since that was high school and college years.

idlewild_

74 now and sitting at around 1.2k, bought the northrend flying skill already since it was killing me not being able to fly away from the middle of every mob respawning

You could probably turn that 1.2k into 4k in a few days by playing the AH, especially if you have inscription. You can still do it if you don't have any professions by buying and relisting items, but it will be a bit slower and you'll probably lose money in the beginning while you figure out what items to look out for on your server.

Honestly, your best bet for making gold is to just keep on questing and leveling; that would be a steady income and is the easiest/fastest way to do it if you are not already experienced with playing the AH and don't have some existing resources. I recently took my shaman from 80-85 and ended up with a few thousand leftover after buying 280% flying. The downside to this, of course, is that you'll be mostly done with leveling by the time you can buy the flying, so it won't really help you there. Make sure to always pick the item that sells for the most if there's no meaningful upgrade from the quest items, and sell your greens on the AH, most go for 50-80g and are bought out fairly quickly.

I can't really understand the people are saying heroic modes are too easy. These are not people in world first guilds, or anywhere close to it, from what I can tell, and some of whom haven't even done H Madness. Even now, the number of guilds who have completed H Madness is minuscule compared to the overall population. Absolutely tiny.

What is the problem? That some "lesser" guilds can now do a few heroic modes because of the rolling nerf? It was the same way in Icecrown, that's how the game is going to be. And I'm really glad for it, because the most premiere content in the game was never meant for just you and your circle of friends to hold onto forever. The only raid I stepped foot in before Wrath was in Kara, while the 'hardcores' got tons of lore and content shoved at them.

And if the problem is the nerfs themselves, you can turn them off as everyone has pointed out. If you care more about the challenge than anything else, it's there. You won't get any lesser rewards for doing it without the nerf.

Tier 11 was perfect

Perfect for YOU. T11 busted open a lot of more casual and relaxed guilds who couldn't handle the normal modes whatsoever.

As for T12, normal Ragnaros is to this day harder than normal Madness, even after the huge nerf to firelands. To this day.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I leveled with herb/mining and sold everything I gathered while leveling, which also happened to give me XP from each node.

Bought epic flying when I dinged 80 and have about 5k when I hit 85 earlier today. Prob have another k worth of stuff to sell.

Since 74-80 could be done in a day or two, I would just keep leveling and pick quest items that sell the most and see where you are at when you hit 80.

aesop

You could probably turn that 1.2k into 4k in a few days by playing the AH, especially if you have inscription. You can still do it if you don't have any professions by buying and relisting items, but it will be a bit slower and you'll probably lose money in the beginning while you figure out what items to look out for on your server.

Honestly, your best bet for making gold is to just keep on questing and leveling; that would be a steady income and is the easiest/fastest way to do it if you are not already experienced with playing the AH and don't have some existing resources. I recently took my shaman from 80-85 and ended up with a few thousand leftover after buying 280% flying. The downside to this, of course, is that you'll be mostly done with leveling by the time you can buy the flying, so it won't really help you there. Make sure to always pick the item that sells for the most if there's no meaningful upgrade from the quest items, and sell your greens on the AH, most go for 50-80g and are bought out fairly quickly.

Inscription, in my personal experience, is a tough market to make money in. I gave up on it a while ago, but here's what usually happened to me. Let's say I research the average market price of Glyph of Whatever. That average price is around 120g per. I follow the unspoken rule of undercut what's selling at the average by a couple gold. So, I'm selling my glyph for 118. I come back in the morning to check my auctions and that same glyph is selling for 10g. This has happened to me on two servers so far. I know inscription isn't the only market this happens with on the AH, but it's probably one of the worst. Farm herbs and sell the raw mats, skip the rest.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why would anyone use inscription for money making anyway. You have hundreds of glyphs to research until you find the most popular and expensive ones, not to mention that they're only good to use one time. I havent bought/make new glyphs for my characters for months. Sure, there is new fresh alts who always need glyphs, but i dont see inscription being better than, say alchemy or jewelcrafting, which are always useful for everyone at max lvl.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Inscription, in my personal experience, is a tough market to make money in. I gave up on it a while ago, but here's what usually happened to me. Let's say I research the average market price of Glyph of Whatever. That average price is around 120g per. I follow the unspoken rule of undercut what's selling at the average by a couple gold. So, I'm selling my glyph for 118. I come back in the morning to check my auctions and that same glyph is selling for 10g. This has happened to me on two servers so far. I know inscription isn't the only market this happens with on the AH, but it's probably one of the worst. Farm herbs and sell the raw mats, skip the rest.

Yeah, Inscription is crap. Couldn't make a few thousand, while I made over 100k with JC/Alch.

I have a perfect scribe with every glyph. The only time I really made any money off glyphs was the day after the patch that made glyphs permanent. Even then, I only made 5k-7k that way. I have made some money in the Darkmoon card game early on in Cataclysm, but that has a high risk to reward ratio, and any money there pretty much has to be made before the X.1 patch when higher iLevel stuff is released. X.2 at the latest where you'll start to find better, or at least non-shit trinkets in 5-Mans. Still, even if I don't make full use of him, it's convenient to have a perfect scribe. I wouldn't really recommend to anyone to get into the game at this point though where it will take you 2-4 months to learn the glyphs and nothing else is worth selling right now. Maybe if there's some sort of compelling revival in Mists.

Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, and Enchanting is pretty much the holy trifecta of professions. Support skills of Herbalism and Mining are useful, especially at the start of an expansion, but not wholly necessary if you have enough liquid capital. Between those 3 I've made a fortune. And really, Jewelcrafting is the big money maker there more so than anything else, but the others are profitable as well and are highly recommended support skills. Alchemy more so than Enchanting, which I find is often undercut by people asking in trade for enchants (especially after the DE button was added to loot rolls), whereas people will just straight buy gems.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I have a perfect scribe with every glyph. The only time I really made any money off glyphs was the day after the patch that made glyphs permanent. Even then, I only made 5k-7k that way. I have made some money in the Darkmoon card game early on in Cataclysm, but that has a high risk to reward ratio, and any money there pretty much has to be made before the X.1 patch when higher iLevel stuff is released. X.2 at the latest where you'll start to find better, or at least not shit trinkets in 5-Mans.

Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, and Enchanting is pretty much the holy trifecta of professions. Support skills of Herbalism and Mining are useful, especially at the start of an expansion, but not wholly necessary if you have enough liquid capital. Between those 3 I've made a fortune. And really, Jewelcrafting is the big money maker there more so than anything else, but the others are profitable as well and are highly recommended support skills. Alchemy more so than Enchanting, which I find is often undercut by people asking in trade for enchants (especially after the DE button was added to loot rolls), whereas people will just straight buy gems.

Yep. Have all 3. Might just make another JC or two when I see how the profession in MOP will be.

On the other hand, I might retire from AHing cause I don't really like the "gameplay"...

aesop

Why would anyone use inscription for money making anyway. You have hundreds of glyphs to research until you find the most popular and expensive ones, not to mention that they're only good to use one time. I havent bought/make new glyphs for my characters for months. Sure, there is new fresh alts who always need glyphs, but i dont see inscription being better than, say alchemy or jewelcrafting, which are always useful for everyone at max lvl.

The only reason I stick with inscription is the shoulder enchant and I have a JC/Mining alt.

Top Bottom