• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

idlewild_

Inscription is very easy to make a few thousand on and is really cheap to level. His question was merely what the quickest way to 4k gold is, and inscription can net you a good portion of that while leveling it up. It's not going to be as good as JC, however JC is much more expensive to level and will take a while to build up cuts that you can make money off of. Plus, I am not sure about your servers, but the gem market on mine has pretty much collapsed, and the margins are so thin that many people are backing out. The profits are low enough that transmuting gems isn't really worth it, and xmuting truegold has been a loss for months. Speaking from the pov of someone who has all of the crafting professions at max level, the only one I'm still getting consistent gold from is inscription...though that might be due to my server, so ymmv.

You'd also be surprised how well glyphs sell even though you only need to learn them once. They also cost next to nothing to produce.

Prodigal

Banned
Do many of you guys play on Area 52? I thought I read there was a (somewhat inactive) GAF guild on there and I'm looking for somewhere to transfer to.

aesop

Inscription is very easy to make a few thousand on and is really cheap to level. His question was merely what the quickest way to 4k gold is, and inscription can net you a good portion of that while leveling it up. It's not going to be as good as JC, however JC is much more expensive to level and will take a while to build up cuts that you can make money off of. Plus, I am not sure about your servers, but the gem market on mine has pretty much collapsed, and the margins are so thin that many people are backing out. The profits are low enough that transmuting gems isn't really worth it, and xmuting truegold has been a loss for months. Speaking from the pov of someone who has all of the crafting professions at max level, the only one I'm still getting consistent gold from is inscription...though that might be due to my server, so ymmv.

You'd also be surprised how well glyphs sell even though you only need to learn them once. They also cost next to nothing to produce.

Serious question: Are you on a high or low pop server and do you have many progression guilds?

That's the complete opposite of how things work on my server, so yeah, YMMV. Inscription had the potential of being a good money maker because you can get some pretty powerful glyphs without being max level, but being a one and done type of operation has killed it, as many have already said.

I'd love to be making money off it, but it's just not worth the effort for me. But again, different servers, different economies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Leveling up Inscription or any crafting profession to make a few thousand would be misplaced effort.

He's better off leveling from 74 to 80 or 81 and having enough for epic flying. Then he'll get another 2k at least at 85 to decide on profession.

As far as inscription goes, unless you undercut people every hour, or 30 minutes, with all 100-200 of the unique glyphs you made, you'll make nothing.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Serious question: Are you on a high or low pop server and do you have many progression guilds?

That's the complete opposite of how things work on my server, so yeah, YMMV. Inscription had the potential of being a good money maker because you can get some pretty powerful glyphs without being max level, but being a one and done type of operation has killed it, as many have already said.

I'd love to be making money off it, but it's just not worth the effort for me. But again, different servers, different economies.

Mysterious Fortune Cards. Get to it.

idlewild_

Leveling up Inscription or any crafting profession to make a few thousand would be misplaced effort.

He's better off leveling from 74 to 80 or 81 and having enough for epic flying. Then he'll get another 2k at least at 85 to decide on profession.

As far as inscription goes, unless you undercut people every hour, or 30 minutes, with all 100-200 of the unique glyphs you made, you'll make nothing.

I never suggested leveling inscription for a few k, I just told him that it would be easy to make if he already had the profession as it's really the only one he can turn a small profit on, assuming he only has a 74 and 1k gold. If you read the post, I suggested that he should just level.

TheYanger

I can't really understand the people are saying heroic modes are too easy. These are not people in world first guilds, or anywhere close to it, from what I can tell, and some of whom haven't even done H Madness. Even now, the number of guilds who have completed H Madness is minuscule compared to the overall population. Absolutely tiny.

What is the problem? That some "lesser" guilds can now do a few heroic modes because of the rolling nerf? It was the same way in Icecrown, that's how the game is going to be. And I'm really glad for it, because the most premiere content in the game was never meant for just you and your circle of friends to hold onto forever. The only raid I stepped foot in before Wrath was in Kara, while the 'hardcores' got tons of lore and content shoved at them.

And if the problem is the nerfs themselves, you can turn them off as everyone has pointed out. If you care more about the challenge than anything else, it's there. You won't get any lesser rewards for doing it without the nerf.

Perfect for YOU. T11 busted open a lot of more casual and relaxed guilds who couldn't handle the normal modes whatsoever.

As for T12, normal Ragnaros is to this day harder than normal Madness, even after the huge nerf to firelands. To this day.
HEROIC MODE. HEROIC MODE. Start repeating that before you reply. THIS IS THE OPTIONAL HARD DIFFICULTY OF THE GAME. What is the point in making it piss easy?
What do normal mode completion rates have the SLIGHTEST bit to do with heroic modes?
Y'know what? I wasn't in a top guild until the end of wrath. I WAS the guy who spent ALL of BC on 'progression' and never got to farm. I'm not talking out of my ass. Content SHOULD be challenging. If you can't finish it in the first month doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed, it means the content is designed to take longer than a fucking month to complete. Why should heroic content be made easy? It's HEROIC content. IF you think normal modes are too hard go piss on Blizz and tell them that, they'll tell you to do LFR. At some point they're not designing a game anymore, but just a chatroom that gives you loot. If the game was as easy as some people here seem to want it, they would lose a lot of their raiding audience. There are people of ALL skill levels in wow, I don't see hardcore players wanting LFR removed or normal modes removed, so why the fuck do horrible players want heroic content made easy? If you can't progress in heroic content, it is not designed for you. You are not the audience for it. 90% or more of the game is designed to challenge you, leave the small bits of difficult content for the people that it is designed for. Is it that difficult to understand?

Tamanon

Banned
Beta just appeared on my Account profile, even without getting an email from Blizzard:) At school now, but downloading ASAP at home.

Makes sense they'd wait to send out a bigger wave until they had more than just the Panda starting zone new.

MONK TIME!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All right cool, thanks man.

Rokam

I have annual pass, why no Panda beta for me? :(

image.php

Same still no invite for me. But I think I pressed my luck by getting into the classic beta, as well as being in the closed BC beta (still have my discs).

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Beta just appeared on my Account profile, even without getting an email from Blizzard:) At school now, but downloading ASAP at home.

Makes sense they'd wait to send out a bigger wave until they had more than just the Panda starting zone new.

MONK TIME!

Grats man. I have a feeling I'll be waiting for quite a while yet before I get in. :(
Let us know your impressions if you get some spare time.

Draxal

Just got in beta, annual pass about a month in. No e-mail been playing since late 2004 off and on (relatively hardcore in vanilla, less so later on).

You are not the audience for it. 90% or more of the game is designed to challenge you, leave the small bits of difficult content for the people that it is designed for. Is it that difficult to understand?

Name your five most difficult raid bosses in wow, and why they are difficult. I'm jut rather curious about that (not that I disagree or agree with you - I just think there's too wide of a gap in player skill in game, to make a hard mode suitably hard for the best of the best).

Sciz

HEROIC MODE. HEROIC MODE. Start repeating that before you reply. THIS IS THE OPTIONAL HARD DIFFICULTY OF THE GAME. What is the point in making it piss easy?

Because raiding is a sliding scale, and not every player fits neatly into one of the three default difficulties. There are any number of guilds that have normal and heroic Morchok on farm and then completely cease to progress because there's a massive jump in difficulty after that point. It's in Blizzard's interests to provide them with challenging content they're actually capable of. What is piss easy to the top 1% is then difficult but accessible for the rest of us proles who can't otherwise pull the numbers to avoid wiping on the same shit for six months straight due to skill/class/gear/spotty internet/old PCs/whatever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What do normal mode completion rates have the SLIGHTEST bit to do with heroic modes?
Y'know what? I wasn't in a top guild until the end of wrath. I WAS the guy who spent ALL of BC on 'progression' and never got to farm. I'm not talking out of my ass. Content SHOULD be challenging. If you can't finish it in the first month doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed, it means the content is designed to take longer than a fucking month to complete. Why should heroic content be made easy? It's HEROIC content. IF you think normal modes are too hard go piss on Blizz and tell them that, they'll tell you to do LFR. At some point they're not designing a game anymore, but just a chatroom that gives you loot. If the game was as easy as some people here seem to want it, they would lose a lot of their raiding audience. There are people of ALL skill levels in wow, I don't see hardcore players wanting LFR removed or normal modes removed, so why the fuck do horrible players want heroic content made easy? If you can't progress in heroic content, it is not designed for you. You are not the audience for it. 90% or more of the game is designed to challenge you, leave the small bits of difficult content for the people that it is designed for. Is it that difficult to understand?
gsTVM.gif

Nobody's even arguing that Heroic modes should be easy. You're arguing with yourself.

And I see hardcore players saying the bolded thing all the time.

Well I managed to find a Target with a bunch of time cards left. Bought a year's worth.

I'd consider doing that, but the deal doesn't mesh perfectly with me since I'd have to buy 1 extra, which wouldn't be included in the deal to fill a whole year (buying the Diablo 3 CE, so that would take 4 months off the annual pass.)

Since I can pass on playing until Mists releases anyway, it's less attractive.

Heroic modes are still obviously hard because I can see the completion rates for "HEROIC MODE" too. I didn't ask for the rolling nerf to affect heroic mode too, but it's here, and I think it's fine. If your guild is that badass, try for world first; or don't, whatever.

In bullet point form:

1) Heroic modes were super hard as usual before the nerf. By completion rates. Not as bad as FL.
2) Heroic modes are still very hard after the nerf. By completion rates.
3) The nerf is fine.
4) You can turn the nerf off.

The other thing about the nerf is, if you're in a top-tier guild, you already beat heroic Dragon Soul BEFORE the nerfs. Why do you care? You have it on farm. And if you want the challenge, you can still turn off the nerf. It isn't affecting your progression at all.

I'd consider doing that, but the deal doesn't mesh perfectly with me since I'd have to buy 1 extra, which wouldn't be included in the deal to fill a whole year (buying the Diablo 3 CE, so that would take 4 months off the annual pass.)

Since I can pass on playing until Mists releases anyway, it's less attractive.
Yeah, the deal isn't that great if you don't plan on playing until MoP.

Khezu

I want a warlock glyph that lets the dreadstead be used as a flying mount, like the horsemens mount.

I miss the dreadstead so much, was a bitch to get originally, but so worth it.

TheYanger

The other thing about the nerf is, if you're in a top-tier guild, you already beat heroic Dragon Soul BEFORE the nerfs. Why do you care? You have it on farm. And if you want the challenge, you can still turn off the nerf. It isn't affecting your progression at all.

That's patently false though.
Less than 20 guilds in the US had killed Madness before the nerf, and not because it was too hard, but because IT TAKES TIME. My guild is the number 1 three night a week guild in the entire world and we still didn't get to madness before the nerf (we got spine the night before it was nerfed) simply because the amount of hours required were more than they gave. Similarly, I killed Rag before the nerf, and while I felt that nerf was justified enough, it was still VERY fast and had it not been as justified it would have been too much imo. Look at Baleroc or Majordomo. They were nerfed after TWO WEEKS, despite being completely killable. They went on to be two of the easiest fights in the zone, with MAjordomo commonly being the SECOND boss people killed. The nerfs were kneejerk and stupid. Baleroc was hard? sure he was, give it a few weeks and some fucking gear and it would be perfectly fine even for worse guilds.

The notion that "OMG we haven't killed a boss the first week we saw it, it's too hard" is fucking ridiculous. Bosses already get nerfed over time purely by gear, strategy, familiarity, etc. There's no sense of progression when a boss is actively nerfed before you. You don't steadily improve your raid on a boss and then see your hard work come to fruition, you instead get a win HANDED to you. I care because they come so insanely fast it's ridiculous, it's entitlement of the worst kind. LOTS of people in shit guilds don't even try anymore when they're 'close' because they know they can just wait a few weeks for a nerf. That's completely absurd.

If you're asking if they are going to make WoW hard to cater to the very small part of their fanbase that wants everything to be hard, the answer is absolutely not. They tried it in the first part of Cataclysm and got nothing but complaints.

Heroic Mode raids are ball-bustingly difficult still. I don't know why all the "cater to the casual" types don't acknowledge that fact.

gsTVM.gif

Nobody's even arguing that Heroic modes should be easy. You're arguing with yourself.

Wat

Tamanon

Banned
Holy shit, Panda starting zone was paaaaaacked. Decided to roll first a human monk after so much slowdown, but the human starter quests are broken. Blood Elf monk it is. Pretty fun thus far. Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick look great. No roll animation for the Blood Elves yet, so it looks like he just flies forward like a super hero.

That's it for right now, work in the morning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's patently false though.
Less than 20 guilds in the US had killed Madness before the nerf, and not because it was too hard, but because IT TAKES TIME. My guild is the number 1 three night a week guild in the entire world and we still didn't get to madness before the nerf (we got spine the night before it was nerfed) simply because the amount of hours required were more than they gave. Similarly, I killed Rag before the nerf, and while I felt that nerf was justified enough, it was still VERY fast and had it not been as justified it would have been too much imo. Look at Baleroc or Majordomo. They were nerfed after TWO WEEKS, despite being completely killable. They went on to be two of the easiest fights in the zone, with MAjordomo commonly being the SECOND boss people killed. The nerfs were kneejerk and stupid. Baleroc was hard? sure he was, give it a few weeks and some fucking gear and it would be perfectly fine even for worse guilds.

The notion that "OMG we haven't killed a boss the first week we saw it, it's too hard" is fucking ridiculous. Bosses already get nerfed over time purely by gear, strategy, familiarity, etc. There's no sense of progression when a boss is actively nerfed before you. You don't steadily improve your raid on a boss and then see your hard work come to fruition, you instead get a win HANDED to you. I care because they come so insanely fast it's ridiculous, it's entitlement of the worst kind. LOTS of people in shit guilds don't even try anymore when they're 'close' because they know they can just wait a few weeks for a nerf. That's completely absurd.

Wat
Oh, I see, you were responding to something I said like 2 days ago and 50 posts ago, as opposed to the guy you were actually quoting. Your response is non-sensical with regards to that post too, because that post doesn't suggest making heroic modes easier.

TheYanger

Oh, I see, you were responding to something I said like 2 days ago and 50 posts ago, as opposed to the guy you were actually quoting. Your response is non-sensical with regards to that post too, because that post doesn't suggest making heroic modes easier.
Are you shitting me. You started the thread of conversation, and it has been carrying on since. I was responding to the person I quoted, never mistake that. But don't act like it just got pulled out of some magician's hat, YOU started this shit. Good fucking lord.

Angry Grimace

Are you shitting me. You started the thread of conversation, and it has been carrying on since. I was responding to the person I quoted, never mistake that. But don't act like it just got pulled out of some magician's hat, YOU started this shit. Good fucking lord.
Actually, I just made an offhand comment that they're still really hard if you want difficulty, and then replied that you can turn the buff off if you want more difficulty after those nerfs. I thought that was an innocuous enough statement, but then you flew off the handle for no apparent reason. Chill out.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253971391?page=17#332
Knowing this, I'm thinking I won't get in this first annual pass invite wave. I bought the annual pass pretty soon after it was announced, but I've taken some extended breaks so my cumulative subscription time might not be high enough.
2nd wave in progress.

We’re in the process of sending 100,000 invites to Annual Pass holders, and we recommend keeping an eye on your email and Battle.net account for an invite to come explore Pandaria.

The invites started earlier today and are still being sent. It will take at least a few more hours to finish, and then tomorrow morning we'll see if there were any that bounced back and resend those, as well as email alerting people to them being invited. Inviting 100k takes a long time. :)

The moment(s) of truth.

Gotta go check my shit, yo.

Edit: No dice yet. :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So, I saw this post on the mmo-champ forums:

I have subbed since Dec. 2004, AP first day... yet, a guildie has been playing since CATA and has the AP, and she gets in?

I have over 90 "cumulative" months paid. SIGH.

Contrasts with:

Annual Pass is a guaranteed entry, there is no consideration made beyond cumulative subscription time and when the Annual Pass was purchased.

Wish there was a formal way of tracking people's invites so far in place.

I was just listening to the Instance episode before Blizzcon last year and the numbers for raiding were pretty stark.

Before the firelands nerf, about 1.35% of the population had killed normal Ragnaros.

About .022% of people had killed Heroic ragnaros.

Yeah, I wonder why they nerfed it /rollseyes

If anything, hardcore raiders still got a couple of months of un-nerfed, hard-ass content that VERY few people were able to complete. All that content, just for them. There is more time, money and love showered on hardcore raiders than any other segment of the game in proportion to their size.

TheYanger

I was just listening to the Instance episode before Blizzcon last year and the numbers for raiding were pretty stark.

Before the firelands nerf, about 1.35% of the population had killed normal Ragnaros.

About .022% of people had killed Heroic ragnaros.

Yeah, I wonder why they nerfed it /rollseyes

If anything, hardcore raiders still got a couple of months of un-nerfed, hard-ass content that VERY few people were able to complete. All that content, just for them. There is more time, money and love showered on hardcore raiders than any other segment of the game in proportion to their size.

The fallacy being that only the people that have killed something before it gets nerfed are the people that ever would have. Why does it need to be nerfed, when it's nerfed weekly through gear acquisition in the first place? People that don't kill bosses, don't kill them for lack of any effort at all. It's always been that way. Sure, some bosses are hard, but it doesn't take a TON of effort to learn them and succeed. It doesn't take a TON of effort to not play your character at mouthbreather levels. What exactly is your argument? If it's a strict 'wow is too hard' I think most people would KINDLY disagree with that statement. If it's that people don't put forth any effort, that's acceptable. So what? It's a mode designed for effort. There are all sorts of things in wow that don't reward effort in the least, raiding is one of the few things that does (and even has tiers for levels of effort! LFR, Normal, AND heroic! If you don't want to put forth a heroic effort, there is normal and effortless versions available!)

Do many of you guys play on Area 52? I thought I read there was a (somewhat inactive) GAF guild on there and I'm looking for somewhere to transfer to.

I'm on Suramar which recently got labeled as a "friendly to new players" server. Was really odd having fresh blood show up after being low population for so long. Hasn't gone to shit yet though so that's good. Been there since the beginning though and likely won't leave unless it blows up or something.

markot

Banned
Didnt they say that around 1% did sunwell at all when it was out >.>?

Raiding was just kind of a silly method of spending money if so little of the content was used, lfr is just a way of... well not changing but making it easy for players to just log on and raid and then log off.

I totally get your side of the argument, Yanger. The thing is, if that's what you want, you're not going to get the same level of investment into raiding content for the sole provenance of the 0.022%. Blizzard is done with that. There were 4 years when Blizzard poured money and time and their premiere effort into the most epic lore and content which was then accessible by <1-2% of the population. Those days are gone and were frankly a little ridiculous.

Even since Wrath, raiding numbers were always a small minority of the population, and the stacking buff in ICC was one of the best decisions they made because a lot of people who otherwise would have missed out, got to see and presumably kill the central villain of the expansion, and a HUGE figure in Warcraft lore. Imagine that, plebs getting to see the best and most epic lore parts of the game! I only downed Arthas because of the 30% buff in a pug; I wasn't in a raiding guild at the time. The barrier to entry, until the advent of LFR, was HUGE. Even those dozen or so PUGs of ICC I ran, I had to really want it, or I wouldn't have gone on them.

With the advent of LFR, most of these considerations have FINALLY been addressed. And the super hardcore content still exists for the world-firsters and the region-firsters. If you're not in that crowd, then you'll have to accept that the content will be nerfed over time, either gradually (like in DS/ICC) or starkly (like in FL). And finally, like all of us have been saying all along and which you've completely ignored, you can turn the nerf OFF if it fucks with your progression and you want the challenge for challenge's sake.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Working on my 7th 85 (probably 80) starting at 60.

Looks like to made the elite mobs in HP non-elite around when they nerfed Northrend or something.

Angry Grimace

I still like group quests, but the problem with them is that for the most part, you generally just skipped them since they were rarely an integral part of a quest chain, except when they were the last one, and then you could just hold on to the quest for a while. Hopefully, scenarios will change all that and bring some of that feel back.

Voidguts

This makes me want to queue up for one even though it'll take forever as a rogue.

the queue time really isn't that bad any more - the absolute longest I have to wait as a single DPS is 15 minutes, and I'm on a medium population realm/crappy battlegroup. Call to Arms bonus is kinda awesome.

Angry Grimace

I still haven't done a single dungeon and I'm lvl 83. This makes me want to queue up for one even though it'll take forever as a rogue.

It takes like 10 minutes regardless of class.

Top Bottom