• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

timmy

Perhaps I'm the odd one out here, but I don't like being bothered while leveling. And grouping to do normal quests just slows you down unless you're waiting for a quest mob to spawn. This will more than likely help world pvp, or at the very least there will be a shitload more ganking going on. But if this leads to servers being done away with then I'm on board.
I think lots of people are that way, particularly after they've leveled up a few characters already. I'd bet that for most new players, having well-populated lowbie zones probably makes the game more engaging, and makes it easier to find help if theyre confused about something.

Rokam

I think lots of people are that way, particularly after they've leveled up a few characters already. I'd bet that for most new players, having well-populated lowbie zones probably makes the game more engaging, and makes it easier to find help if theyre confused about something.

Fair enough.

On a completely different note, Blizzard should add in cross-game achievements. I'd like a pet when I beat Diablo III, and a mount when I complete Inferno on Hardcore difficulty. Thanks!

Nelo Ice

Banned
I must be insane, atm I'm power leveling enchanting and JC. Started with 0 at JC and brought it up to 325 along with 341 mining on my rogue and started at 95 enchanting for my pally and have it up to 280 and have 302 mining.

Cross-realm zones are a good idea. It deals with the server-pop issue somewhat without having to merge servers (which is bad PR, even when it can be a very good thing).

Vyktal

Hey guys, I've been thinking about jumping back into WoW after a year break. I reckon I'll be focussing on having fun fighting through dungeons with other players whilst playing a fun physical class.

But what level range would you recommend I go into (in terms of number of other players at a similar level)? I have the folloing options:

- I start again at 1 and go through Cataclysm content and beyond
- I start with my lvl 70 Paladin (hopefully I can run straight to WotLK content quickly because I dislike BC areas)
- I start with a Death Knight, allowing me to play a bit in Cataclysm content before going into the same area as the pally.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like a good change to me. I find it rather dull that I can play an mmo with 10mil subscribers and ill be lucky to see 50 people outside of citys/pvp/dungeons from 0-85

Won

I was wondering for a while if they can actually pull something like that off with the whole seamless world stuff. Happy to hear it's actually happening.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hey guys, I've been thinking about jumping back into WoW after a year break. I reckon I'll be focussing on having fun fighting through dungeons with other players whilst playing a fun physical class.

But what level range would you recommend I go into (in terms of number of other players at a similar level)? I have the folloing options:

- I start with my lvl 70 Paladin (hopefully I can run straight to WotLK content quickly because I dislike BC areas)
- I start with a Death Knight, allowing me to play a bit in Cataclysm content before going into the same area as the pally.

Get scroll of ressed and get a free 80!

Majine

Banned
What the fuck, visible armor for the druid forms? Whenever I hear people suggest this all I could do was facepalming, and now it's real? Goddamn it.

Alex

Cross Realm zones are a fantastic idea, more people in the world is always good otherwise what exactly makes this an MMO anymore? Just wish they had the content to properly support multiplayer while leveling now.

Should just make it so when you join a party with someone in the vicinity, monsters get harder and better loot drops and maybe prior to the active expansion EXP goes up.

Cross Realm zones are a fantastic idea, more people in the world is always good otherwise what exactly makes this an MMO anymore? Just wish they had the content to properly support multiplayer while leveling now.

Should just make it so when you join a party with someone in the vicinity, monsters get harder and better loot drops and maybe prior to the active expansion EXP goes up.

Diablo 3 style

Don't know how I feel about this change until I see it in practice. The description sounds like a rather inelegant workaround of the current server architecture. If it's as clunky as 2008-era phasing then I'd like to pass on it.

TheYanger

I think its gooood, but isnt the problem lack of people for high lvl content on lower pop realms?

Two different problems.
They could fix the second by just enabling X-realm raiding in all zones, but they are surely taking baby steps since server transfers must be so lucrative. That said, dead servers are an issue for sure I'm sure they'll fix it before letting the greed take hold.

markot

Banned
Yeah, god knows how much they make on server xfers >.< ive probably spent 100 bucks on it myself. (And thats ignoring the characters other people moved of mine when I wasnt playing >.>!)

sazzy

Cross realm zones are a good solution for low-population servers.

I'm expecting this to expand to major cities and AH for low-level servers if this is a success.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It does nothing to solve the deeper issues, like actually being able to play with your friends, economic issues, or finding good guilds and being on servers with people you know.

I'm expecting this to expand to major cities and AH for low-level servers if this is a success.

Pretty cool idea, especially if it expands in to your second point.

Though I'm not going back, I miss my old server.

If you don't mind questing, I found the 1-60 revamp pretty great (Horde side) as long as you keep away from Kalimdor. I've only done a handful of the zones through Alliance, so I can't really speak to that.

If you are going to level through straight LFD, then any level range will work. I've found that que times are lower as a DPS when I hit BC/Wrath, but it varies. On my 60-something hunter, sometimes the que popped instantly, sometimes it was 10 minutes.

If you plan on doing a mix, no matter what level you are, zone population is going to be light. 1-60, BC, and LK zones are going to be lonely outside of LFD.

I vote option one, but I really dig questing and the lore.

M.D

Is that Scroll of Resurrection thing still going on? It's not possible to receive one if I had just trial characters, right? Is there any way to make it work without having played the game previously?

Is that Scroll of Resurrection thing still going on? It's not possible to receive one if I had just trial characters, right? Is there any way to make it work without having played the game previously?
No. You needed an account that previously had a subscription before March 4th to qualify for the SoR.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thank goodness for the Darkmoon Fair prof quests. Leveling JC is a pain in the freaking ass and it was a freaking miracle I got to 350 without having to buy the ludicrously overpriced Adamantite ore since Nagrand was giving me next to nothing at times.

Thank goodness for the Darkmoon Fair prof quests. Leveling JC is a pain in the freaking ass and it was a freaking miracle I got to 350 without having to buy the ludicrously overpriced Adamantite ore since Nagrand was giving me next to nothing at times.

I've never done JC, but leveling Enchanting on my Pally made me want to fucking kill myself. I haven't played him in a while, but I don't even think I maxed it - it's somewhere around 490 or something. I lost all will to go further and decided I'd just buy the enchants that I needed.

I've got engineering on my rogue, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal to level. Got that from 0 -> 525 in a day.

M.D

No. You needed an account that previously had a subscription before March 4th to qualify for the SoR.

:\

I have the WOW + Burning Crusade package I bought a long time ago when I trying different characters and planned on playing the game, but never opened it and started playing

I just need Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm if I want to start playing

There's a store here that sells Cataclysm for 10 bucks and the Cataclysm collectors edition for 33 bucks... Is that collectors edition any good? I could use a nice mouse pad.. if it's any good

lordmrw

maxing out professions on a new server suuuuuuucks so bad. I made a rogue on Stormrage just to see what its like on a high population server (its awesome BTW) and the materials are available on the AH but the problem is I don't have a ton of gold, only about 7k gold. There are annoying points in every profession where some obscure mat is needed in large quantities and the problem isn't so much gold its that you more than likely have to mine/skin, etc it yourself. The flip side is that nearly everything I auction sells but in a very strange twist no matter how much I sell or gold I use up I never dip below 6k or over 7k.

I can't play melee classes.

Been playing a caster since Vanilla and everytime I try to play my Paladin I just can't.
Aye. That is similar to me. I played a lock from vanilla through early Wrath before messing around with a warrior. Playing a melee class after being a caster for so long was awesome, but I've never felt absolutely comfortable with it. now I've got a Pally as well. Both are fun, but I would only raid with the lock unless it was a guild alt-run. Don't like pressure or expectations I guess, lol.

:\

I have the WOW + Burning Crusade package I bought a long time ago when I trying different characters and planned on playing the game, but never opened it and started playing

I just need Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm if I want to start playing

There's a store here that sells Cataclysm for 10 bucks and the Cataclysm collectors edition for 33 bucks... Is that collectors edition any good? I could use a nice mouse pad.. if it's any good

You had WoW + BC sitting around but never opened them or made an account? :p

As for the Cata collector's edition, just look up what it contains. I believe a mousepad is not included.

M.D

You had WoW + BC sitting around but never opened them or made an account? :p

As for the Cata collector's edition, just look up what it contains. I believe a mousepad is not included.

I have an account with 3 level 20 characters. I was active in this thread and planned on playing the game, and bought the box with WoW + BC, but never opened it and started playing for some reason...

It says here on Amazon

Cataclysm Mouse Pad

A special-edition mouse pad depicting Deathwing menacing the ravaged continents of Azeroth.

ZYrTF.jpg

I just need to know if the mouse pad is any good and I'll probably buy that.. even if I never play the game :D

idlewild_

It would be amazing if the new cross-server technology also worked to balance out horde/ally populations within zones. Bring some world-pvp back to servers, especially in the Pandaria zones.

I'm pretty excited to be able to quest with friends on other servers with all of my toons now, I just hope that this cross-server stuff will apply to raids and the AH (in some form,) in the future. My toons are spread out across several servers as are theirs, so being able to group together whatever character we're on will be awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Two different problems.
They could fix the second by just enabling X-realm raiding in all zones, but they are surely taking baby steps since server transfers must be so lucrative. That said, dead servers are an issue for sure I'm sure they'll fix it before letting the greed take hold.

Server merges are the obvious fix, but I think Blizzard doesn't want to do that because it sends the wrong kind of message.

I just need to know if the mouse pad is any good and I'll probably buy that.. even if I never play the game :D
I haven't used my Cataclysm CE mousepad since I'm still using my WotLK CE mousepad. They're both made the same and I haven't had any problems with it myself. Does what it needs to do and works fine.

RPGCrazied

Cataclysm CE is so worth 33 bucks. Get it!! I'm trying to find Wrath CE for cheap, but no dice. I only have Burning Crusade and Cataclysm CE. I hope I can get Diablo III CE for cheap later on.

Rokal

I'm still using the TBC CE mouse-pad, and as far as I know the WotLK and Cata CE mousepads are the same construction. They're good mousepads and I like the material the surface is made of.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've never done JC, but leveling Enchanting on my Pally made me want to fucking kill myself. I haven't played him in a while, but I don't even think I maxed it - it's somewhere around 490 or something. I lost all will to go further and decided I'd just buy the enchants that I needed.

I've got engineering on my rogue, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal to level. Got that from 0 -> 525 in a day.

I got up to like 282 Enchanting on my pally, have no clue how in world im enduring leveling that and JC at the same time, all I kno is this better be worth it when the gold comes flowing lol. Granted I need to still lvl my pally as well since hes only at 74 atm.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I lvled Enchanting and JC to max, but i never ever sell gems or enchants. I mostly did that for my mains and alts to save myself the money. With all the useless greens/blues/purples that drop and extra Justice points i get on all my characters, i always have a good supply of enchant mats.

Beside, when you have 3 characters with 35k gold, you dont need to sell gems or enchants.

Might change in MoP if Blizzard is crazy enough to sell the best WoW item in the world for 30k.

Robin64

If you don't mind questing, I found the 1-60 revamp pretty great (Horde side) as long as you keep away from Kalimdor. I've only done a handful of the zones through Alliance, so I can't really speak to that.

Don't stay away from Kalimdor. :(

Stonetalon Mountains has to be experienced, on both sides for the full story. It's just wonderful.

Don't stay away from Kalimdor. :(

Stonetalon Mountains has to be experienced, on both sides for the full story. It's just wonderful.

Stonetalon was cool, for sure. There are a few zones that rock, but most are a complete pain in the ass.

I really want to go through Stonetalon as alliance. Maybe I'll start up an alt. My highest alliance character is a 50 Shadow Priest, but I don't want to just steamroll through the zone.

Speaking of tradeskills, I really wish Blizzard would progressively add shit to Engineering. Synapse Springs are cool, but the main 'draw' of Engineering are the goggles, and after the first tier of content, they are worthless.

I really need to start up a 2nd production tradeskill - I have Engi/Herbalism. I fucking detest professions though.

I got up to like 282 Enchanting on my pally, have no clue how in world im enduring leveling that and JC at the same time, all I kno is this better be worth it when the gold comes flowing lol. Granted I need to still lvl my pally as well since hes only at 74 atm.

My pally has max alchemy/490-whatever enchanting and the plan was to just feed my rogue pots/flasks/enchants. Since my rogue has herbalism and I farm that shit regularly, it wouldn't be a problem.

Nah, I still AH everything.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Stonetalon was cool, for sure. There are a few zones that rock, but most are a complete pain in the ass.

I really want to go through Stonetalon as alliance. Maybe I'll start up an alt. My highest alliance character is a 50 Shadow Priest, but I don't want to just steamroll through the zone.

Speaking of tradeskills, I really wish Blizzard would progressively add shit to Engineering. Synapse Springs are cool, but the main 'draw' of Engineering are the goggles, and after the first tier of content, they are worthless.

I really need to start up a 2nd production tradeskill - I have Engi/Herbalism. I fucking detest professions though.

You can still keep the goggles for the look with transmog, that's what matters the most anyway. :p

I lvled Enchanting and JC to max, but i never ever sell gems or enchants. I mostly did that for my mains and alts to save myself the money. With all the useless greens/blues/purples that drop and extra Justice points i get on all my characters, i always have a good supply of enchant mats.

Beside, when you have 3 characters with 35k gold, you dont need to sell gems or enchants.

Might change in MoP if Blizzard is crazy enough to sell the best WoW item in the world for 30k.

My main has alch/enchanting, and I've leveled JC to max at least twice on separate characters. (Wouldn't drop alch or enchanting off the main now since I have some pretty rare/expensive recipes for both professions at this point.)

I stated it before, but my goal is to hit either 500k or 1mil gold in Mists, assuming I can tear myself away from Diablo 3 long enough. My main has a little over 100k on him right now.

That's my goal since while I still have an interest in raiding, I've had difficulty finding the right group of people to do it with, and it's just sort of a hassle. Making gold I can do on my own time without having to adhere to a specific schedule. Raid Finder doesn't cut it for me in terms of challenge.

Alex

The new warlock stuff sounds so amazingly good. The class design in general took another large step, I'm always impressed how appealing they can make these large class overhauls look.

Bodes well for some really brilliant ability design in Titan as well, I'd assume.

Top Bottom