• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alucrid

Banned
Jrmint said:
WoW and BC come packaged together I think for $20 max. That will take you to level 70 which will give you a very good feel over whether or not you'll like the game.

Additionally that will give you the entire new 1-60 starter content that was added in the Cataclysm.

Don't rush into buying everything at once. Or wait till closer till this holiday season when inevitably there will be a box set including Wrath of the Lich King.

Well I played Vanilla but never made it into BC. But knowing that only vanilla and BC gives you the new zones is nice....does that apply for the races as well? I can only find the WoW battlechest for ~30. I also want to play as a worgen. :(

So frustrated right now... we had 10H Cho'gall under 2M tonight with a decent amount of people alive when... "why is he healing?" We had him pulled up so far up into the throne that he started evading, didn't get a decent attempt after that.

Running out of time to kill this stuff, so it's really frustrating.

TheYanger

Alucrid said:
Well I played Vanilla but never made it into BC. But knowing that only vanilla and BC gives you the new zones is nice....does that apply for the races as well? I can only find the WoW battlechest for ~30. I also want to play as a worgen. :(

Negatory. Cata required to actually roll a goblin or worgen.

Not sure how you evaded Cho'gall out o_O but it's totally safe to just back up into the throne as far as possible. Do it all the time. Maybe some kind of ridiculous positioning change that ended up pushing him in more? Just have your tank run all the way up as far as they can. That's it. I could see if you flipped him and did the 'walk into his hitbox so he backs up' causing him to evade out, but there's just no reason to do something like that. He doesn't go far up the traditional way but it's enough to control tentacle spawns.

Thoraxes

wonderdung said:
So frustrated right now... we had 10H Cho'gall under 2M tonight with a decent amount of people alive when... "why is he healing?" We had him pulled up so far up into the throne that he started evading, didn't get a decent attempt after that.

That's how I feel about H Maloriak when he doesn't cast Release Abberations before his first Black Phase. We always tank the first 3 with the slimes and they get AoE'd down so our DK tank can not get murdered by the adds during green.

So frustrating, but at least we can run out when he doesn't do it.

Jrmint

Alucrid said:
Check on the WoW site specifically. I think they have digital versions of Vanilla and BC for like 5 or 10 dollars. Also I coulda swore I saw the Battle Chest for $20 when I was at Target this weekend.

Alucrid

Banned
Jrmint said:
Check on the WoW site specifically. I think they have digital versions of Vanilla and BC for like 5 or 10 dollars. Also I coulda swore I saw the Battle Chest for $20 when I was at Target this weekend.

BC is 10, but battle.net lists vanilla as 20, which is odd since it's been out for years and years now.

PatzCU

wonderdung said:

That is awful, totally kills motivation. My guild has been struggling with Heroic Nef for the past 2 weeks. Probably 10ish hours of wipes so far and we've only managed to get him to 43%. It's hard to get good phase 3 attempts in when people continually die in phase 2.

Honestly, I'm just hoping Firelands hits soon because I know Cho'gall and the Council are even worse than H Nef.

Swag

Finished off Heroic Nefarian last night, finally everything clicked, perfection with interrupts in Phase 2, and 0 deaths in phase 3.

Only death was Nef tank dying in Phase 1, but add tank picked it up fine.

Fuck I was so happy to kill that boss, I was tired of being in that god damn room.

Sebulon3k said:
Finished off Heroic Nefarian last night, finally everything clicked, perfection with interrupts in Phase 2, and 0 deaths in phase 3.

Only death was Nef tank dying in Phase 1, but add tank picked it up fine.

Fuck I was so happy to kill that boss, I was tired of being in that god damn room.

...It's not on farm until you've killed it at least twice?

Congrats on downing him though!

Swag

CarbonatedFalcon said:
...It's not on farm until you've killed it at least twice?
Congrats on downing him though!

I don't have to be present for the next kill, I'm sure I'll sit for the Discipline Priest trial, and thusly don't have to be in that room.

So don't really care about what happens next week!

Unless of course, I don't sit ._.

markot

Banned
Alucrid said:
Well I said fuck it and bought the whole kit and kaboodle. Goodbye life, again.

What should I get to tweak the UI?
Nothing! Its fine the way it is, just scale it in the options!

PatzCU said:
That is awful, totally kills motivation. My guild has been struggling with Heroic Nef for the past 2 weeks. Probably 10ish hours of wipes so far and we've only managed to get him to 43%. It's hard to get good phase 3 attempts in when people continually die in phase 2.

Honestly, I'm just hoping Firelands hits soon because I know Cho'gall and the Council are even worse than H Nef.

It may depend on your raid, but Cho'gall seems easier than Nef. It took us 120+ attempts to down Nef, whereas we had a "robbed of kill by universe" attempt on Cho'gall on our second night of attempts.

Hopefully we can finish off Cho'gall in our next raid and take a look at Sinestra. I really want to kill at least Sinestra before Firelands. Couldn't care less about captain planet and Al'akir though.

Jrmint

Alucrid said:
Well I said fuck it and bought the whole kit and kaboodle. Goodbye life, again.

What should I get to tweak the UI?
Yea the stock UI is great, but I highly recommend ArkInventory (1 bag for everything and you can sort it however you want), and TitanPanel (all your pertinent info at the top of the screen.

Jrmint said:
Yea the stock UI is great, but I highly recommend ArkInventory (1 bag for everything and you can sort it however you want), and TitanPanel (all your pertinent info at the top of the screen.

Gateway drugs.

UI manipulation can become a game in itself if you get into it. There are so many options that absolutely dwarf the customization of other MMOs/games in general.

...However, if you're just starting out, you don't really need many (if any) addons. Adding them as you find a need for them and slowly changing your UI to fit your needs is the way to go. A lot of addons aren't necessary until you get to high level/level-capped play anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
Jrmint said:

Yeah, stock is a lot better than I remember. I'll check out the two you suggested though, thanks.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Gateway drugs.

UI manipulation can become a game in itself if you get into it. There are so many options that absolutely dwarf the customization of other MMOs/games in general.

...However, if you're just starting out, you don't really need many (if any) addons. Adding them as you find a need for them and slowly changing your UI to fit your needs is the way to go. A lot of addons aren't necessary until you get to high level/level-capped play anyway.

I always had the addons where I could see everyone in the raids health, buffs, etc. etc and all that good stuff.

Oh. My aspects are on the left and my pet bar is on the right. Can I reverse that somehow?

Alucrid said:
Oh. My aspects are on the left and my pet bar is on the right. Can I reverse that somehow?

I forget if you can do that in the default UI (and I'm not currently subscribed so I can't check it easily.) You may be able to though if you dig around in the interface menu and check a box (or something of the sort) to allow you to move certain elements.

Other options would be an addon called MoveAnything (or something like that) which allows you to do just that. Another solution would be one of my favorite addons: Bartender (4) which allows you to move all sorts of bars (action bars, pet bars, stance bars, etc.) as well as a whole host of other features.

There are probably dozens of other addons that would let you move things around as well if you can't find it in the default UI.

(I've spent many hours tweaking my UI and still was never completely satisfied. I evolved it over time for different characters/roles as well.)

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
I forget if you can do that in the default UI (and I'm not currently subscribed so I can't check it easily.) You may be able to though if you dig around in the interface menu and check a box (or something of the sort) to allow you to move certain elements.

Other options would be an addon called MoveAnything (or something like that) which allows you to do just that. Another solution would be one of my favorite addons: Bartender (4) which allows you to move all sorts of bars (action bars, pet bars, stance bars, etc.) as well as a whole host of other features.

There are probably dozens of other addons that would let you move things around as well if you can't find it in the default UI.

(I've spent many hours tweaking my UI and still was never completely satisfied. I evolved it over time for different characters/roles as well.)

Thanks, I'll look into bartender. I used custom ones as well and liked them more than the original UI, of course that was when it was complete shit.

Question: level 18 where do I want to level for alliance side? Darkshore is getting too low.

Zakkath

Alucrid said:
Thanks, I'll look into bartender. I used custom ones as well and liked them more than the original UI, of course that was when it was complete shit.

Question: level 18 where do I want to level for alliance side? Darkshore is getting too low.

First move : get out of Kalimdor. It's a pain in the ass and boring as hell ;)

Tamanon

Banned
Alucrid said:
do I get a boat in Darnassus?

You can take a boat from Darnassus yah. But at 19, you can advance to Ashenvale. I've found Kalimdor is just fine for leveling speed personally. I especially prefer the 40-60 band there.

I kinda think Kalimdor is now better than EK. Except for the PLagueland of course. Southern Barrens and Stonetlon Mountains were a high point for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think both continents are pretty good now, but Kalimdor sucks for Alliance because once you move to the south of the continent, you get farther and farther from Darnassus, and that's the only Alliance city on this continent(no such thing as Exodar, nope), while EK have both Stormwind and Ironforge in the middle.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
I think both continents are pretty good now, but Kalimdor sucks for Alliance because once you move to the south of the continent, you get farther and farther from Darnassus, and that's the only Alliance city on this continent(no such thing as Exodar, nope), while EK have both Stormwind and Ironforge in the middle.
It's a mirror for horde. One continent has two spread over a decent distance and one at the north.

The real thing is that boat travel.

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
It's a mirror for horde. One continent has two spread over a decent distance and one at the north.

The real thing is that boat travel.

At least Horde has quick access to south EK with zeppelins in Org & UC.

If Alliance wants to go to the south of Kalimdor, they have to fly to Menethil. I wish Menethil would have been completely destroyed by the Cataclysm and for the dwarves to used their airport for access to Kalimdor.

Askani

So, when 4.2 comes out, that will be the new PvP season. Conquest points will be reset.

What exactly will be happening with gear? I haven't followed the news closely enough to know. All the Viscous PvP gear will now be buy able with Honor and a new set of PvP gear will come out? What about PvP weapons? Will they also have a new tier?

Trying to decide my best use of Conquest before the reset.

Dresden

Askani said:
So, when 4.2 comes out, that will be the new PvP season. Conquest points will be reset.

What exactly will be happening with gear? I haven't followed the news closely enough to know. All the Viscous PvP gear will now be buy able with Honor and a new set of PvP gear will come out? What about PvP weapons? Will they also have a new tier?

They haven't said much, but I think the conquest points will be reset. Otherwise people are just going to regear themselves on day one--my brother has something like 20k points simply because he has nothing to spend them on after buying everything, for example.

yanhero

Askani said:

I believe all your current VP and CP will be converted to JP and HP respectively, so everyone will start off with 0 VP and 0 CP. The current VP gear will be purchasable with JP, and the current CP gear will be purchasable with HP. A new set of PvP gear including weapons will come out to be available to be brought with CP.

Alucrid

Banned
Level 37, just got done STV. Where to next?

Also, the dungeon queuing system is so godly. So incredibly good. I can't believe we used to have to form a group, travel there, then hearth out. :lol

Reputation is easy as hell to gain too.

Bisnic

Alucrid said:

You usually get a quest when you're done with a zone that leads to your next one, just follow it. If you are done with south STV, you should get a quest in Booty Bay leading to either South Barrens or Western Plaguelands.

Alucrid

Banned
Bisnic said:
You usually get a quest when you're done with a zone that leads to your next one, just follow it. If you are done with south STV, you should get a quest in Booty Bay leading to either South Barrens or Western Plaguelands.

Thanks. Didn't see any quest markers but I'll look again.

Alucrid said:

Also, the dungeon queuing system is so godly. So incredibly good. I can't believe we used to have to form a group, travel there, then hearth out. :lol

Reputation is easy as hell to gain too.

Also, if you go to a capital city, there will be a quest board that'll give you a quest to a level appropriate zone.

yanhero

Weenerz said:
Wow, amazing intro. Got a Little Big Planet vibe from it and that isn't a bad thing.

Pretty sure that sound effect that was used for the priest's Spirit of Redemption in p3 of Cho'gall is straight from LBP.

Dang. I'm having some serious Warcraft withdrawals. I don't think I would want to do any serious raiding right now, but I'd like to level a toon or two from 0-85 again. And it would be nice to do it on a PvE server for a change, something that I've never done before... ever.

Well, my focus when leveling is usually on enjoying the quests, the environments, and doing dungeon queues. I have three 85's (lock/warrior/pally) and the leveling experience on each of them was severely tainted by gankers. That's the main reason for wanting to do stuff on a pve server.

I've never enjoyed world pvp while leveling (if it even happens, as you mentioned), and I've played exclusively on Thunderlord since vanilla; so I'm not a stranger to what pvp is like on a pvp server. I just turn into a pissy mofo when I get ganked while trying to enjoy the non-pvp side of the game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
recount's tooltip annoys me. when you hover over the players. i don't think there's a way to remove it in the UI but...

Open the GUI_Main.lua file, find the line: Row.TooltipData=tooltipData and replace it with: Row.TooltipData=""

and with that, no more tool tip. you can click the name and see the graphs and what not.

no one asked for this. just a tid bit for everyone.

if there's a better way, lemme know

Do you guys think we will ever see a player-race graphics model/texture overhaul?

I wonder about the significance of the game if all player characters were redone.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Do you guys think we will ever see a player-race graphics model/texture overhaul?

I wonder about the significance of the game if all player characters were redone.

I'm sure we'll see one for the next expansion hopefully. People ask for it all the time on the forums and the models are in dire need of an upgrade.

TheYanger

It's clear from some of their responses that they want to do it, but I think they're not sure how. These guys played EQ, they remember when EQ overhauled its PC models. No matter how 'bad' they look, people are attached to them, if you make things look even the slightest bit different, there will be whining and bitching.

Bisnic

There's already whining and bitching because the models are outdated anyway.

You just can't please everyone.

Bisnic said:
There's already whining and bitching because the models are outdated anyway.

You just can't please everyone.
Right, and if there is already whining and bitching and they think by updating there will be whining and bitching, guess which option requires less work?

Top Bottom