• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Tamanon

Banned
DeathNote said:
One thing about glyphs is quite are discovered through world drop books in Northrend I think. They are selling some high because others can't make them.

I think they are gonna change discovery for new inscribes.

Yup, 4.2 will add the other glyphs to your regular research. You'll still be able to use the books to learn them if you want to avoid the cooldown though.

Alex

Guessing dungeon/raid additions for fun:

4.3) Dungeon stopgap patch, possibly AQ

4.4) War of the Ancients

4.5) Dungeon stopgap patch, possibly AQ

4.6) Deathwing.

I think they'll do better on content timing. I think what they'll do is swap to 6-7 boss raids as the norm but faster and I think, given that they're rumored to expand in Q2 2012, that there wont be an enormous amount of time between Deathwing and whatever is next.

We'll see though. We'll see what kind of lessons they take from all this.

Rokam

Alex said:
Guessing dungeon/raid additions for fun:

4.3) Dungeon stopgap patch, possibly AQ

4.4) War of the Ancients

4.5) Dungeon stopgap patch, possibly AQ

4.6) Deathwing.

I think they'll do better on content timing. I think what they'll do is swap to 6-7 boss raids as the norm but faster and I think, given that they're rumored to expand in Q2 2012, that there wont be an enormous amount of time between Deathwing and whatever is next.

We'll see though. We'll see what kind of lessons they take from all this.

Well they did say 4.3 would house another legendary, so here's hoping a raidless content patch was a fluke.

Alex

Rokam said:
Well they did say 4.3 would house another legendary, so here's hoping a raidless content patch was a fluke.

Oh! Well then there goes my entire line of guesswork! That or maybe they'll just leave raid tiers to be the only flat number patches.

Still thats my guess for a timeline of content!

Tamanon

Banned
They mentioned a narrow role for the 4.3 legendary. I can't fathom how they would do a legendary tank weapon considering the variety different classes use. Only other really specialized thing I can think of would be a legendary ranged weapon. But they're already giving hunters a shitload of fun with the 10 new challenge pets.

PatzCU

Tamanon said:
They mentioned a narrow role for the 4.3 legendary. I can't fathom how they would do a legendary tank weapon considering the variety different classes use. Only other really specialized thing I can think of would be a legendary ranged weapon. But they're already giving hunters a shitload of fun with the 10 new challenge pets.

I was thinking maybe a Rogue/Enhance Sham weapon.

PatzCU said:
I was thinking maybe a Rogue/Enhance Sham weapon.

That would fit the bill. Hunters would still probably want in though unless you make it a mace.

Tank legendary you either go truly niche with a shield and leave bears and DKs hanging (tank imbalance for that tier at the least due to the legendary) or you go for a weapon that can transform/take multiple final forms. They mention it in the new ask the devs on tanking. A tank legendary is justified as we haven't really ever had one except for Thunderfury (debatable) and Shadowmourne (though far from ideal) for DKs. I'd take a legendary cloak with a badass on-use and visual effect even if we didn't get a weapon, but all legendaries so far have been weapons, so the chance of that is low.

Another niche item would be a healing shield, but there is almost no reason to have that exist when you can just make a mace like Valanyr.

Thoraxes

So, I saw the information on the staff that makes your Cat form a Fire-cat form as long as the staff is equipped.

I am beyond hyped for the patch now.

McNei1y

4.2 Firelands

4.3-4.4 - War of Ancients

4.5 Deathwing

Somewhere in those patches: The new Abyssal Maw 5 man they were talking about and the AQ instance. Maybe something else that I am missing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Did blizzard ever mentioned that they intend to change AQ to a 5 man or current raid or are you guys just guessing because of what they did to ZG and ZA?

Tamanon

Banned
Bisnic said:
Did blizzard ever mentioned that they intend to change AQ to a 5 man or current raid or are you guys just guessing because of what they did to ZG and ZA?

Just assuming, since it makes a lot of sense, and would allow them to have a reason to finally mess with Silithus to boot.

Bisnic

I guess, Silithus is a nice creepy zone, but was pretty much ignored during the Cataclysm update and still has its shitty quests, so it would make sense to do something with it in 4.3

Bisnic said:
I guess, Silithus is a nice creepy zone, but was pretty much ignored during the Cataclysm update and still has its shitty quests, so it would make sense to do something with it in 4.3

I think it's an interesting zone, but lacks content (though it must've been pretty packed in Vanilla during the opening of the AQ gates event and thereafter when AQ was the main raid.)

Silithus is a more wasteland/depressing desert with serious storylines counter to the whimsical desert that is Uldum.

And that staff that turns feral cats into fire cats. My god that thing is awesome (I wish I had a high level druid right now.)

Unrelated: I had a dream about 3-manning Yogg-Saron hard mode last night. Ulduar is still by far my favorite raid and probably the one I spent the most time in. Great, great instance. From a thematic and architectural perspective (the journey through the instance), only Black Temple compares for me. Blackwing Lair is up there too, and AQ 40 I'll give an honorable mention for its vastness.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
Are they going to introduce epic gems in patch 4.2?
Not a chance. When they release the War of the Ancients patch in February, they need way to give you a leg up.

Bisnic

And how are pugs in the zandalari heroics right now? I do not dare to send my holy paladin alt with 350 average item lvl in there if its going to be wipes after wipes. The original heroics are easy enough(unless i get some really horrible pug), but the troll ones? I'm not sure.

Dresden

Bisnic said:
And how are pugs in the zandalari heroics right now? I do not dare to send my holy paladin alt with 350 average item lvl in there if its going to be wipes after wipes. The original heroics are easy enough(unless i get some really horrible pug), but the troll ones? I'm not sure.
Luck of the draw. Sometimes you get good runs, sometimes you get dumb fucktards tanking or healing. It hasn't been too bad overall.

Swag

I'm thinking of levelling up a tank, for a firelands 10 man alt group. Leaning towards DK because I can make it a Goblin, but everyone tells me to stay away cause of the amount of damage they take.

Anyone have any experience with them in a raiding environment?

lordmrw

Miletius said:
I'm really excited about the Firelands patch. Not so much about the Soul Swap nerf.

I'm anxious for it so I can start raiding again finally. I skipped this tier of raiding due to lack of time so the only thing I've done is Baradin Hold. I have to get over my nervous jitters about fucking up all over again but I look forward to it. Now its just a matter of deciding what guild I'm going to raid with, god there are so many on my server now.

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
I think it's an interesting zone, but lacks content (though it must've been pretty packed in Vanilla during the opening of the AQ gates event and thereafter when AQ was the main raid.)

Silithus is a more wasteland/depressing desert with serious storylines counter to the whimsical desert that is Uldum.

And that staff that turns feral cats into fire cats. My god that thing is awesome (I wish I had a high level druid right now.)

Unrelated: I had a dream about 3-manning Yogg-Saron hard mode last night. Ulduar is still by far my favorite raid and probably the one I spent the most time in. Great, great instance. From a thematic and architectural perspective (the journey through the instance), only Black Temple compares for me. Blackwing Descent is up there too, and AQ 40 I'll give an honorable mention for its vastness.

I did all of Sithilus when AQ was opening up back in the day, I went back with my new character earlier and it was the same. :lol

Alex

Bisnic said:

They were fiddling with AQ-related fare on the PTR for 4.1 that and the ZA/ZG stuff makes it a decent possibility.

Sebulon3k said:
I'm thinking of levelling up a tank, for a firelands 10 man alt group. Leaning towards DK because I can make it a Goblin, but everyone tells me to stay away cause of the amount of damage they take.

Anyone have any experience with them in a raiding environment?

See if TheYanger pops up and he might have a different answer, but from my perspective:

DKs as tanks are more fiddly than the other classes. Your damage mitigation is much, much more performance based than the other tanks where it's almost automatic. You have to worry about keeping threat (with probably the worst AoE tools right now - single target is fine though), but also making sure you time your death strikes properly and rotating your multitude of cooldowns (having at least 1-2 more than the other tanks).

Playing a paladin or warrior (not familiar with bears at higher levels) almost feels like easy mode in comparison.

That said, if you can hit everything perfectly (which is fairly difficult) you will be really quite powerful. Anything less than stellar play will make you feel handicapped compared to the other tanks. Really it's a question of how skilled you think you are/can be to be able to perform at a decent level.

As for damage DKs take: We take more damage in larger spikes, but we're also healing a ton of that (I have outhealed more than some actual healers on occasion.) You have to smooth it out by using cooldowns in situations that aren't necessarily life threatening. That said, it will still always be at least somewhat spikier than a shield tank even if you do master the mechanics, and some healers may not adapt well to that.

thatbox

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
From a thematic and architectural perspective (the journey through the instance), only Black Temple compares for me. Blackwing Descent is up there too, and AQ 40 I'll give an honorable mention for its vastness.
Blackwing Descent is just Big Donut from Mario Kart 64. Do you really thing the "journey through the instance" is as epic as Ulduar/BT?

Odrion

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
That would fit the bill. Hunters would still probably want in though unless you make it a mace.

Tank legendary you either go truly niche with a shield and leave bears and DKs hanging (tank imbalance for that tier at the least due to the legendary) or you go for a weapon that can transform/take multiple final forms. They mention it in the new ask the devs on tanking. A tank legendary is justified as we haven't really ever had one except for Thunderfury (debatable) and Shadowmourne (though far from ideal) for DKs. I'd take a legendary cloak with a badass on-use and visual effect even if we didn't get a weapon, but all legendaries so far have been weapons, so the chance of that is low.

Another niche item would be a healing shield, but there is almost no reason to have that exist when you can just make a mace like Valanyr.
Make it a 2H that can break into a 1H & Shield, and neither strength or agility, but attack power/increased weapon damage and compensate with even more parry/dodge.

Also AQ40 was garbaaaaaage. "Here's the entrance to a temple, and oh hey the rest of it is going to be in a cavern that looks like a bug's anus."

Thoraxes

Alex said:
Haha, scaling overhaul to Feral.

Poor Enhancement, crying behind the couch.
Feral changes made me happy. It was weird seeing the meters when we were all even before we were all decked out in epics, and then I fall 10% behind the raid after we all get geared.

But yeah, poor Enh Shammies. Heh.

bjb

Banned
So our group left our current guild because it was full of baddies. Although I'd have to say, we're starting to miss the (lvl 25) perks already = /

Anyway I threw up this site together last night, would appreciate any feedback:

http://www.the-fam.org/

Dresden said:
Shaman will get their time in the sun
in the next expansion.

The golden age of 2H Windfury PvP ended 3 expansions ago. The golden age of lust for every group has also ended. ...and the golden age of at least being brought for lust...

A shaman was my second max level character, so I feel for all the shammies out there. If anything, we're closest to a pure buffing class compared to everyone else, but not having any unique buffs anymore or stellar dps definitely hurts in at least 25s at the moment.

Alucrid

Banned
A few questions...

1) For Hunter end game weapons, is it mostly two handed weapons or duel wielding? There seems to be a lot more 2H weapons for Hunters, but I know that having two weapons means more benefits from enchanting.

2) Can Paladins be adequate healers? At least for the early levels? I'm making an alt and coming from Horde I know nothing about them. I don't want to be a tank either...too much work. :p

3) Honor points. I've never been big on PvP, so what's the easiest PVP arena to join to get these?

Dresden

Alucrid said:
2) Can Paladins be adequate healers? At least for the early levels? I'm making an alt and coming from Horde I know nothing about them. I don't want to be a tank either...too much work. :p

3) Honor points. I've never been big on PvP, so what's the easiest PVP arena to join to get these?
2) Paladins are fine, afaik. They're bad in pvp but really, unless you're competing at a high level they're decent enough for what they do. And there's always the possibility of finding a warrior and a death knight for some hardcore DP action. :p

3) As for honor points, the easiest way to get them is to just do the Random Battlegrounds every day. You can get one Random win and one Tol Barad win per day and in a week you'll have three, four honor gear pieces at 85; it's only a grind if you want it to be.

The easiest way to collect pvp gear is to just find someone to do arenas with you, though. The downside is that conquest points come slowly unless you can push the cap, and that at this point everyone and their mothers has a full set of vicious gear so it's difficult for new players to make any sort of progress early on.

Still nowhere near the kind of hurdle that new teams faced in S3, but the challenge is there.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
A few questions...

1) For Hunter end game weapons, is it mostly two handed weapons or duel wielding? There seems to be a lot more 2H weapons for Hunters, but I know that having two weapons means more benefits from enchanting.
nope. nothing beats +130 agi.

Alucrid

Banned
Dresden said:
2) Paladins are fine, afaik. They're bad in pvp but really, unless you're competing at a high level they're decent enough for what they do. And there's always the possibility of finding a warrior and a death knight for some hardcore DP action. :p

3) As for honor points, the easiest way to get them is to just do the Random Battlegrounds every day. You can get one Random win and one Tol Barad win per day and in a week you'll have three, four honor gear pieces at 85; it's only a grind if you want it to be.

The easiest way to collect pvp gear is to just find someone to do arenas with you, though. The downside is that conquest points come slowly unless you can push the cap, and that at this point everyone and their mothers has a full set of vicious gear so it's difficult for new players to make any sort of progress early on.

Still nowhere near the kind of hurdle that new teams faced in S3, but the challenge is there.

Alright thanks. It kinda sucks when you're playing against people with Cata gear though. The stats on them are insane.

DeathNote said:
nope. nothing beats +130 agi.

Holy...what. Well I guess that makes sense since everything else is inflated lol. I just remember +15.

TheYanger

Sebulon3k said:
Make it a tanking shield, fuck everything else.

Eat dicks :p Shield that turns into a 2h mace. Perfect (Just give it free Str and Agi in equal quantitiy since neither does jack shit really for the 'other' tank at this point)

CarbonatedFalcon said:
See if TheYanger pops up and he might have a different answer, but from my perspective:

DKs as tanks are more fiddly than the other classes. Your damage mitigation is much, much more performance based than the other tanks where it's almost automatic. You have to worry about keeping threat (with probably the worst AoE tools right now - single target is fine though), but also making sure you time your death strikes properly and rotating your multitude of cooldowns (having at least 1-2 more than the other tanks).

Playing a paladin or warrior (not familiar with bears at higher levels) almost feels like easy mode in comparison.

That said, if you can hit everything perfectly (which is fairly difficult) you will be really quite powerful. Anything less than stellar play will make you feel handicapped compared to the other tanks. Really it's a question of how skilled you think you are/can be to be able to perform at a decent level.

As for damage DKs take: We take more damage in larger spikes, but we're also healing a ton of that (I have outhealed more than some actual healers on occasion.) You have to smooth it out by using cooldowns in situations that aren't necessarily life threatening. That said, it will still always be at least somewhat spikier than a shield tank even if you do master the mechanics, and some healers may not adapt well to that.

Sorry been a busy few days, yeah DKs are fine. The shield tanks are the best atm because of how their masteries work and blocking in general is just huge, but DKs fill a much stronger niche than bears at least, and are plenty capable. The reasons to bring paladins and warriors are more related to versatility (raid cooldown for paladins, and jumping around like a god damn spider monkey for a warrior) than to survivability. DK threat is also phenomenal, strongest of the tanks at the moment. AEing can require a lot of planning, but that's always been the case due to how runes work. There are VERY few fights where you need any substantial AE threat this tier anyway (I spec for AE threat because of sinestra and conclave just so we can kill them faster, that's it).
TBH, even if you aren't SUPER awesome with your death strikes, the mastery is still strong and damage intake is still totally fine, it's just that timing your strikes will make you a much stronger tank and save you in a lot of situations that other tanks would perish in, even if they get into them less frequently due to shields.

We always felt a lot of fights would be easier with a paladin because of DG, but all in all I was never hobbled as a tank besides a few very specific movement oriented situations where warriors shone, and any fight with a debuff that can be AMS'd instantly favors a DK.

Miletius

What's the best enchant for the Re purposed Lava Dredger? I was thinking of leveling a feral cat from time to time when I get bored.

Trickster

Just started a horde mage. Want to level through the azeroth zones with most changes to them. But it's hard to find a list of zones that isn't just the "optimal" leveling line. I remember people on neogaf where making a lot of lists around the time the changes to azeroth became active, but I can't find them. Hoping some of you knows what would be the most interesting zones to level through if I want to see as much revamped content as possible, as a horde character.

Dresden

Trickster said:
Just started a horde mage. Want to level through the azeroth zones with most changes to them. But it's hard to find a list of zones that isn't just the "optimal" leveling line. I remember people on neogaf where making a lot of lists around the time the changes to azeroth became active, but I can't find them. Hoping some of you knows what would be the most interesting zones to level through if I want to see as much revamped content as possible, as a horde character.
Just make a goblin and go through Kalimdor.

Trickster

Dresden said:
Just make a goblin and go through Kalimdor.

I really dislike goblins, female orc all the way baby.

Aren't some of the zones in Kalimdor relatively unchanged though? Ashenvale for instance doesn't seem all that changed. I just want to level through the zones that got the best make over essentially :)

TheYanger

Go through the undead zones. Kalimdor is actually really changed but some zones are hits and some are misses. If you run through the undead portion up until before Arathi Highalnds (which still sucks) you'll be in good shape to see the better kalimdor zones like Stonetalon and Thousand Needles and stuff. Ashenvale is fairly changed but it's still not that good. That and northern barrens were kind of sore spots for me during the 'orc/troll/tauren' starting experience. The rest was pretty good.

Top Bottom