• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Chris R

So, the latest post on MMO Champion lists VP gear. I thought they were dumping VP gear to let us spend our points bumping our ilevels? Also, grinding out the VP to buy that gear isn't good enough as now you'll have to be at least revered with various factions to spend it.

So basically save up the points I have now to get loots when I hit 90? Or will there be a point reset of some kind?

Ultratech

Rösti;40831337 said:
You mean patch trailers? Well, they did one for patch 4.3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yz4ebjZCPg&feature=plcp

It's not that deep though and focuses little on the characters and more on footage of the actual raid encounters. Also, doesn't the trailer contradict lore by claiming the Dragon Soul is "the greatest weapon ever forged"? Sure, it doesn't say "most powerful" but I don't see there being any other meaning. I've always though the now shattered Gorshalach is the greatest weapon ever.

I was always a big fan of the Black Temple patch trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-C-_PJTa4&list=UUbLj9QP9FAaHs_647QckGtg&index=7&feature=plcp

Entropia

No One Remembers
So basically save up the points I have now to get loots when I hit 90? Or will there be a point reset of some kind?

As with every content patch there will be a reset. Your current Valor Points get converted to Justice Points. Any Justice Points over 4000(3000?) get converted to gold that gets mailed to you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think they dropped the whole upgrade thing, I really liked that idea though.

I had a really long post as to why I hated the idea, but I literally can't remember why it was. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random question: Why don't they just make the LFR loot Rare (blue) quality instead of purple? It would make poopsockers that quit over "easy purples" less whiny.

scoobs

Random question: Why don't they just make the LFR loot Rare (blue) quality instead of purple? It would make poopsockers that quit over "easy purples" less whiny.

because then nobody will want it. youd be surprised how much the color of an item matters. I dont understand what the problem is exactly... I mean, if you do normal or heroic you get way better gear.

Angry Grimace

because then nobody will want it. youd be surprised how much the color of an item matters. I dont understand what the problem is exactly... I mean, if you do normal or heroic you get way better gear.
I guess, but doesn't that seem like the exact purpose? The LFR items are lesser quality than the non-LFR items!

Chris R

As with every content patch there will be a reset. Your current Valor Points get converted to Justice Points. Any Justice Points over 4000(3000?) get converted to gold that gets mailed to you.

Ah ok then I guess I'll spend my points on the two last things I was targeting and then save up beyond that.

Rokam

The only people that complain about LFR are people in mid level raid guilds. I think most hardcore guilds are okay with it, but they assumed that would mean Blizzard wouldn't nerf Normal/Heroic. Oops. :) But yeah who gives a shit about color, they stopped giving purples extra stats back in Wrath I think.

zugzug

In the LFR, right now, let's say you queue by yourself.

You get into the group and there's 8 people from the same guild. Typically all 8 of those people will roll NEED on something that they somebody in their group would benefit from. Let's say a caster DPS trinket drops, out of those 8 people 4 can roll need on it, 1 of them actually needs it/is an upgrade, and you need it as well. So now that person has himself and 3 other people rolling for it, his chances of winning of drastically increased.

In the new LFR, the jist of it is, is that you won't see who won what items. RNG will determine what item will drop and who wins it. There won't be a Need/Greed/DE roll like there is right now. The items get handed out automatically. You'll also only possibly receive items that are appropriate for your roll. So if you queue as a tank you can't win DPS items.

werent' they also saying how multiple people get the same item? I haven't paid to close attention but if true thats just bad game design as well. 4 people need item 4 people will get said item.

Ultratech

So people actually buy LFR loot?

Some do. Others will and try and stack the odds in their favor with rolls by getting guildies or friends to try and roll on loot for them.
Another annoyance is that LFR loot isn't considered Unique, so people can roll Need on crap they've already got to trade for other stuff that might drop.
Or they might roll Need, win the item, and just sell the damn thing.

It's really kind of a shitty system as is.

But occasionally, people might be nice and give away stuff they won (and can't/don't need to have).

A lot of it really just depends on who you get stuck with in LFR.

Berordn

But occasionally, people might be nice and give away stuff they won (and can't/don't need to have).

A lot of it really just depends on who you get stuck with in LFR.

Asking someone nicely in a whisper and not raising a shitstorm usually works for me, if they weren't just out to troll at least. It'll be nice once the new system goes live, though.

FLEABttn

Banned

You'd eventually have rare gear being better than epic gear within the same expansion and the people complaining about easy purples would then complain about epics being eclipsed by rares thus negating the point of epics.

The people complaining won't ever be pleased so there's no point in pleasing them.

Magnus

The new update regarding a security breach at Blizzard scares me a little, especially since authenticator data may have been compromised. I'd probably lose my mind (just a little) if anything happened to my account/characters/anything despite having an authenticator.

Tamanon

Banned
The new update regarding a security breach at Blizzard scares me a little, especially since authenticator data may have been compromised. I'd probably lose my mind (just a little) if anything happened to my account/characters/anything despite having an authenticator.

Just do what I did, detach your authenticator and redownload/reattach it with a new serial number to match up with.

Magnus

The game is freezing for me lately and it's fucking pissing me off. It's happening in the middle of Kael attempts now. Fuck it all.

Just do what I did, detach your authenticator and redownload/reattach it with a new serial number to match up with.

Yeah, I just did that. Mostly irritated that I now have to remember a new password considering I've had my last one for quite a while. :\

The thing I find most disturbing is the security question stuff. I don't remember which ones I picked but they're likely similar to most sites that require it. That could affect people in more than just their Battle.net account.

Reminds me of that guy from Wired getting hacked.

Fjordson

Actual non-mobile authenticators are fine, right?
That's what they're saying, though it still makes me a little nervous. I changed my email and password just to be safe.

"We believe the integrity of the physical authenticators remains intact." is what they've said so far.

Hope that holds up and doesn't change to "we have learned that the physical authenticators have been compromised" or something similar =[

mileS

sooo yeaa... I think its a good time for me to order a physical authenticator. The one on my iTouch has served me well but after hearing about this I think its best to switch.

ampere

I'm bitter about the announcement that RAF will work with Monks. Pay to win, ugh. I didn't think I was guaranteed to get real first 90 Monk or anything, but I wanted to see how close I was to the winner, now it's a non-competition unless you level grant to 80 with RAF.

sooo yeaa... I think its a good time for me to order a physical authenticator. The one on my iTouch has served me well but after hearing about this I think its best to switch.

No need, really. If you detach the one you have currently and set it up again you'll have a new randomly generated key. There was mention of a software update being made for the mobile authenticators as well.

Is anyone else's launcher "downloading data for next update?" I am already on patch 4.3.4 and it still lets me log in and play but it's downloading many gigs of data in the background...

Berordn

Is anyone else's launcher "downloading data for next update?" I am already on patch 4.3.4 and it still lets me log in and play but it's downloading many gigs of data in the background...

Did you buy the digital download version of Mists? They might have unlocked the assets download for that.

Or the 5.0 update is closer than we think.

Angry Grimace

Did you buy the digital download version of Mists? They might have unlocked the assets download for that.

Or the 5.0 update is closer than we think.

5.0 probably ain't going live until early September if my little birds are correct =V That said, it wouldn't surprise me if 5.0 was going on the background downloader now/soon given it's fucking enormous.

I did not pre-purchase Mists, and I think I saw something about going from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 on the downloader.

Strange and concerning considering the recent security breach.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have about 1.2 GB downloading via the beta client as well. The retail client had over 2.5 GB of data downloading. MMO-Champion wrote about a new beta/PTR build, but from what I saw listed it really didn't account for over 1 GB.

Berordn

5.0 probably ain't going live until early September if my little birds are correct =V That said, it wouldn't surprise me if 5.0 was going on the background downloader now/soon given it's fucking enormous.

I'd be surprised if we got it that early even, given how disruptive the 4.0 patch was, and the backlash they got for that. And they haven't even started testing the Theramore event/scenario yet, so yeah. Probably just 5.0 assets.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be surprised if we got it that early even, given how disruptive the 4.0 patch was, and the backlash they got for that. And they haven't even started testing the Theramore event/scenario yet, so yeah. Probably just 5.0 assets.
Sapperwix said:
We are not currently planning on opening this up for public/beta testing. That may change but for right now we're testing it internally.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6294789610?page=10#195

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hum. I usually gloss over the maintenance threads so I didn't see that. It's kind of unlike them to not test content on the PTR, though. Time will tell, regardless.

Well it seems like it's going to be a huge event and they probably don't want leaks.

Ultratech

Hum. I usually gloss over the maintenance threads so I didn't see that. It's kind of unlike them to not test content on the PTR, though. Time will tell, regardless.

Part of it's probably because they don't want people knowing what's gonna go down beforehand.

This thing:
Baneling_SC2_DevRend3.jpg

Rösti;40878586 said:
I have about 1.2 GB downloading via the beta client as well. The retail client had over 2.5 GB of data downloading. MMO-Champion wrote about a new beta/PTR build, but from what I saw listed it really didn't account for over 1 GB.

Preparation for the pre-patch? No idea.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh, interesting.

5.0 will probably be on Sept 4. Given that in the Theramore event we destroy Theramore and Jaina's TOWER... if it was 2 weeks before MoP's release date, that would be Sept 11...

Oh shit, that would be amazing. Do it Blizz, fly a zeppelin into Jania's tower. The reaction will be amazing, most New Yorkers won't care but the rest of the country will lose their shit.

Angry Grimace

My guess is that they killed Marcus Jonathan in some stupid outside-of-game novel

Angry Grimace

Yeah, or maybe in the upcoming Jaina novel.

I'm surprised they haven't cut that shit out yet - making events happen in some fucking novel is a huge point of criticism for them. I guess its making them money. Then again, I think they're still doing that non-sense about making Jaina's hair turn white cuz she mad, so I guess we can chalk it all up to Metzen being shitty as usual.

Berordn

Well it seems like it's going to be a huge event and they probably don't want leaks.

Part of it's probably because they don't want people knowing what's gonna go down beforehand.

Thanks to datamining, we already know what happens.

(Obviously, spoilers.)

The Sunreavers steal the focusing iris from the Eye of Eternity and with it make an illegal Mana Bomb with materials and knowledge stolen from the Kirin Tor in Dalaran, hand it off to Garrosh who drops it on Theramoore. Jaina goes berserk from the remnants as a result of exposure as she attempts to save who she can, but is saved by Kalecgos who keeps her sane. Kalec later pulls some strings to have her replace Rhonin, who departs of his own volition, making Jaina head of the Kirin Tor.

That last bit may not be part of the event, but audio's already been recorded for it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
General Hammond Clay. He's the high commander of Stormwind defense.

I have no idea.

I laughed.

My guess is that they killed Marcus Jonathan in some stupid outside-of-game novel

Knowing Blizzard, probably.

(Obviously, spoilers.)

The Sunreavers steal the focusing iris from the Eye of Eternity and with it make an illegal Mana Bomb with materials and knowledge stolen from the Kirin Tor in Dalaran, hand it off to Garrosh who drops it on Theramoore. Jaina goes berserk from the remnants as a result of exposure as she attempts to save who she can, but is saved by Kalecgos who keeps her sane. Kalec later pulls some strings to have her replace Rhonin, who departs of his own volition, making Jaina head of the Kirin Tor.

That last bit may not be part of the event, but audio's already been recorded for it.

...What.

(Last part spoiler?)
I imagine that is what will be covered in Jaina's book. I don't get it, where does Rhonin go? He just ups and leaves on his own?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

(Obviously, spoilers.)

Lame, I was hoping for a zeppelin crashing into her tower. Entropia got me all excited with possibilities.

Angry Grimace

The Kirin Tor are already irrelevant though. Jaina made more sense as some kind of link into bringing Kul Tiras into the game at some point.

Top Bottom