• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

So is Curse not working? I only have a few separate addons, I'd just assumed they were all up to date - I don't get any errors when I launch it (when it eventually loads...).

For me, and lots of other people when you read the forums there, the game will install then run and it's fine. But as soon as you reboot your computer, it'll start but then stop responding. I check every once in a while to see if they've fixed it but nope. They barely give any information either as to what's going on. They'll go months before making a comment about something. At this point it is just set up like a scam.

It's a shame. I liked having a little hub that I could look at, know all my stuff was up to date (hit a button if it was not), and then log on. Now I just manually do it all when I remember to.

Number45

For me, and lots of other people when you read the forums there, the game will install then run and it's fine. But as soon as you reboot your computer, it'll start but then stop responding. I check every once in a while to see if they've fixed it but nope. They barely give any information either as to what's going on. They'll go months before making a comment about something. At this point it is just set up like a scam.

It's a shame. I liked having a little hub that I could look at, know all my stuff was up to date (hit a button if it was not), and then log on. Now I just manually do it all when I remember to.
Interesting. Last night my WoW behaved like this for the first time ever, but it seemed to be related to ATSW - which I subsequently disabled - and it's back to being fine again.

Going to frantically level my warrior hopefully to be ready for the event. It's 51 now so I'm sure it won't be a problem, but I'm not the quickest leveller. Interesting to see if I can get past the BC dungeon content as a warrior tank - think I quit at 67 last time. Maybe I'll just duck out when Sethekk Halls comes up. :p

Ah yes, wanding as a priest. I remember doing that in Ghostlands. Sucked :(

And yes, Cataclysm = Worst Expansion.

Guess I'll have to come back at least the week before to do Theramore. Probably 2 weeks to start getting stuff in order.

Also - anyone have a guide/list of the intricacies of Mists professions? I haven't been following as closely as I should have, so I don't really know what the changes are - whether token systems are being used for stuff, whatever the new truegold is, etc.

Number45

Cataclysm is the only expansion I've experienced as current content up to this point, so for me it's only best expansion. I'm casual though so it's the first chance I've had ever to actually raid, and I level a lot of alts so the new 1-60 has been lovely.

Have MoP CE on order (surprised I was able to pre-order at Amazon the other day actually).

Entropia

No One Remembers
See the thing is - besides LFR, Cataclysm was worse for casual raiding than Wrath, if you didn't experience that, in large part due to the 10/25 dichotomy.

Yeah, I'm willing to throw the whole 10/25 thing as another gamebreaker.

They should've kept them the way they were. I really disliked how Blizzard changed their raiding model throughout Wrath.

10 / 25 with "hardmodes" enabled by doing something in the counter (Naxx, Sarth, Uld)
->
10 / 25 and each had a normal and heroic lockout, so you could do one raid 4 times (TOC/TOGC)
->
10 / 25 had their own lockout and heroic bosses could be done on a boss by boss basis rather than having the entire raid (ICC/RS)

They should've kept it like they did for in the first tier of Wrath. 25 man guilds provides enough diversity for a properly balanced raid. 10 mans would still be a slightly lower ilvl (13).

They could handle the 10 vs. 25 man loot like this:
1) Items would be the same, unlike how it was handled in Naxx and such, just lower ilvl for the stats
2) If I was a 25 man raider and had 25 man BIS gear, my gear would be downscaled to the 10 man's ilvls (ie if I had heroic 25 man gear, it'd be downscaled to heroic 10 man gear)

Number45

Damn, I love that instance. But as a Druid, The Raven Lord really tips it in my favor.
Hmm, Sethekk is the one with the fear totems right? Nobody I group with ever targets them (other than me). >_<

See the thing is - besides LFR, Cataclysm was worse for casual raiding than Wrath, if you didn't experience that, in large part due to the 10/25 dichotomy.
I don't have any other experience to draw a comparison from, and I'm not willing to commit myself to a schedule (and don't want to waste time trying to find a group manually) so LFR has been great for me. Of course, I also recognise that the LFx tools have killed the server community.

That said, I actually have found LFR chaotic and not particularly fun, but it gave me something to do when I was burnt out on heroics. I've often thought about trying for proper (at least normal) raids but the effort needed to get in there is too much for me. I should point out at this point that I put in the effort to understand the class, and I gear/spec properly.

Sorry guys, I'm a part of the problem. :(

Try having a talent tree that had a spot dedicated to increasing your wand damage, LOL. Not all the old times were Good Times (tm).
Wasn't Wand Spec still around at BC launch?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yup! It was removed a couple patches in, I think?
Wow it lasted that long? Yeesh.

As far as server community goes I agree that the group tools kind of destroyed that. I remember when your reputation used to be everything and the more popular priests/tanks on a server were known by name and always got a lot of offers. I suppose the grouping tools gave a chance for that experience to be brought to the masses, I just dislike that some of it allows people to basically be assholes and get away without consequence.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder what the big mid-expansion addition will be this time? WLK had LFD and Cata had LFR. I'm thinking we're going to see either Raiding Challenge Modes or challenge modes for older 5 man dungeons.

While using the scaling technology for old raids sounds like a killer app., it might require more work than merely slapping on the debuff since talent specs are totally different than what they were in TBC or even WLK. Then again, it doesn't take nearly the effort to retune some boss abilities than it does to make a dungeon from scratch since all the assets and abilities already exist.

Wow it lasted that long? Yeesh.

As far as server community goes I agree that the group tools kind of destroyed that. I remember when your reputation used to be everything and the more popular priests/tanks on a server were known by name and always got a lot of offers. I suppose the grouping tools gave a chance for that experience to be brought to the masses, I just dislike that some of it allows people to basically be assholes and get away without consequence.
Oh yeah, even in WLK I had a big friends list and knew a ton of players personally. I don't necessarily think it was better though since I spent a significant amount of time scrounging around for players rather than playing.

Challenge modes theoretically could bring back some of that old feel, but I think its a foregone conclusion most Challenge Mode stuff is going to be done by in-guild groups.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dance Studio! I still have hope.

I think the thing about Dance Studio was the fact that it required significant programming and there wasn't much demand for it since as many if not more players just bitched that Blizzard should work on "content."

I played around with Pet Battles on Beta the other day and I actually caught myself grinning and having a lot of fun with the entire concept.

Since we're getting challenge dungeons, the next obvious step if those are a success is challenge/timed raids. Those farming runs for bleeding edge guilds would have something else going on with them to keep it interesting, with world leaderboards. Not as important as world first kills, but still - a fun side competition.

It would be pretty fun to do that with old stuff too - like Time Trials of BWL and the like.

Angry Grimace

Since we're getting challenge dungeons, the next obvious step if those are a success is challenge/timed raids. Those farming runs for bleeding edge guilds would have something else going on with them to keep it interesting, with world leaderboards. Not as important as world first kills, but still - a fun side competition.

It would be pretty fun to do that with old stuff too - like Time Trials of BWL and the like.

If the whole scaling concept works out well, I could definetely see this being the wave of the future. The biggest problem remaining with the game that Blizzard has is incorporating 'old content' into new content. Ulduar is this awesome zone that took years to create, and nobody runs it other than to solo it for transmog gear.

VandalD

Hmm. I've been stuck on "Downloading updated tools..." with a full blue bar for quite a while now. Bandwidth is still being used, but I don't know what it's downloading. A little annoying.

I wonder what the big mid-expansion addition will be this time?
Rated pet arena battles.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Since we're getting challenge dungeons, the next obvious step if those are a success is challenge/timed raids.
Maybe something like the extra boss at the end of CoT that drops the bronze drake reigns but more grandoise?

That's the only timed instance event I took part in and when it was still challenging I remember our group really rushed a lot to get to the end.

JCizzle

Cata started as the worst expansion for me, but ended on quite a high note - just a hair below WotLK. 4.3 was an absolute game changer and made the best additions to the game since LFD was implemented IMO. LFR and transmogrification are my two favorite things to do, and they truly brought me back to the game after becoming utterly discouraged after Cata's launch. I also really enjoyed the 4.3 tier gear and the three heroics. I know some people really enjoy the dungeons from Cata's launch, but they were just too long and unforgiving to PuG with randoms without getting burned out. Getting in only one or two heroics per night sucked for me, but the latter half of Cata truly raised the bar (even if it has taken too long for the expansion to drop).

I'm truly excited for all this MoP content Ill have available, but am slightly worried about the reemphasis on grinding dailies for rep to gear up. I don't think that will happen for more than one of my alts without getting totally sick of it.

Angry Grimace

This is what I mean - Blizzard's biggest problem in TBC era was that a very small percentage of players had a significant amount to DO at max level beyond grinding reps, etc. That is not a problem now. The only thing left is the massive amounts of unused content.

Cata started as the worst expansion for me, but ended on quite a high note - just a hair below WotLK. 4.3 was an absolute game changer and made the best additions to the game since LFD was implemented IMO. LFR and transmogrification are my two favorite things to do, and they truly brought me back to the game after becoming utterly discouraged after Cata's launch. I also really enjoyed the 4.3 tier gear and the three heroics. I know some people really enjoy the dungeons from Cata's launch, but they were just too long and unforgiving to PuG with randoms without getting burned out. Getting in only one or two heroics per night sucked for me, but the latter half of Cata truly raised the bar (even if it has taken too long for the expansion to drop).

I'm truly excited for all this MoP content Ill have available, but am slightly worried about the reemphasis on grinding dailies for rep to gear up. I don't think that will happen for more than one of my alts without getting totally sick of it.
From what I've seen, MOP is going to be EXTREMELY grindy to start. My assumption is that once players realize this, Blizzard will just change it.

JCizzle

This is what I mean - Blizzard's biggest problem in TBC era was that a very small percentage of players had a significant amount to DO at max level beyond grinding reps, etc. That is not a problem now. The only thing left is the massive amounts of unused content.

From what I've seen, MOP is going to be EXTREMELY grindy to start. My assumption is that once players realize this, Blizzard will just change it.

Yeah, I hope so. Theyre usually, but not always, good about acting on stuff like that. I love all the content, but dat grind to even access JP gear... not so much...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'll be surprised if I can play when I get home in 4 hours or so.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Maintenance extended by two hours. No surprises here.

Well, fak.

Just read that the cross-server zones were going to be pushed out by a server by server basis up until the MoP launch. Hopefully they announce which servers are going to be updated and when.

lordmrw

So, apparently the scenario is a 3-man type thing? It's going to suck even more, then. :/

Oh well, at least I was around for the Cata event.

Those were on my mid-pop server, I can only imagine the craziness on the Illidians and Mal'Ganises.

I lost all of my screenshots from that period but I'm also on a medium population server and for a significant portion of Stormwind the ground wasn't visible due to so many players.

ampere

Well, fak.

Just read that the cross-server zones were going to be pushed out by a server by server basis up until the MoP launch. Hopefully they announce which servers are going to be updated and when.

I would think that really low pop realms would get it first, I'll bet realms like Illidan just need to have different instances of each zone rather than sharing with other realms

From patch notes:
Looks like they settled on 40% base resilience, that seems like it will make players with current resilience levels unkillable at level 85. My shaman has over 40% damage reduction in PvP gear on 4.3, unless they changed how the stat scales

Einchy

I lost all of my screenshots from that period but I'm also on a medium population server and for a significant portion of Stormwind the ground wasn't visible due to so many players.

Going down to SW's docks with hundreds of other people was one of the coolest moments that I've had in WoW to date. It really made me feel like I was playing an MMO, I doubt doing a scenario with 3 people will be give me that some epic feeling.

JCizzle

I would think that really low pop realms would get it first, I'll bet realms like Illidan just need to have different instances of each zone rather than sharing with other realms

From patch notes:

Looks like they settled on 40% base resilience, that seems like it will make players with current resilience levels unkillable at level 85. My shaman has over 40% damage reduction in PvP gear on 4.3, unless they changed how the stat scales

Didn't they remove resilience entirely? I remember seeing something about pvp gear being much more viable in mop pve.

Sullen

Didn't they remove resilience entirely? I remember seeing something about pvp gear being much more viable in mop pve.

I've been hoping for a long time they would get rid of resilience on gear and just give an amount to all characters that would prevent them from exploding in PvP instantly. Gearing resilience is just so god damn lame.

Robin64

Don't forget to start getting Huojin Pandaren (Horde) or Tushui Pandaren (Alliance) rep when the servers get back on. They sell like 12 Dragon Turtle mounts, so might as well, right? The Pandaren areas will be in Orgrimmar and Stormwind and the mount vendor sells a tabard that gives rep in any dungeon.

A good excuse to go check out the new Ragefire Chasm, Scarlet Halls, Scarlet Monastary and Scholomance too.

Angry Grimace

Don't forget to start getting Huojin Pandaren (Horde) or Tushui Pandaren (Alliance) rep when the servers get back on. They sell like 12 Dragon Turtle mounts, so might as well, right? The Pandaren areas will be in Orgrimmar and Stormwind and the mount vendor sells a tabard that gives rep in any dungeon.

A good excuse to go check out the new Ragefire Chasm, Scarlet Halls, Scarlet Monastary and Scholomance too.

The tabard didn't seem to add anything when I checked it out on PTR.

Entropia

No One Remembers
OH EM EFF GEE

After a bit of GM tracking and searching through Azeroth and the Twisting Nether it seems that Genesister wandered off to a Netherbeach for some RnR, despite the place being abundant with felfire rain and the occasional meteor. In any case I let them know you were looking to adventure with them again, so they packed up and have returned to share many more conquests with you!

I deleted this Warrior like... 2+ years ago and they restored it.

Why did I get it restored?

It has the Bat from the Karazhan Hallow's Eve event which is a Feat of Strength!

For whatever reason I never got it on my main Shaman.

Angry Grimace

I just tested it five minutes ago, on the PTR. In Ragefire I was getting 3 rep per trash mob and 60 rep per boss. I was level 85.

Then it works just like the old faction city rep tabards. You get a lot more rep for running "of level" content.

mileS

From patch notes:

I was wondering this as well. I would like to think they changed how the stat scales.

I'm all for longer fights (well sometimes) but it makes the healers nearly invincible unless you have 3 solid dps on it. Already at this point, going against a healer alone on my hunter... it feels like i'm hitting them with a wet noodle and the mana never ends. I can only imagine the pain after this. Oh well wait and see I guess.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
OH EM EFF GEE

It has the Bat from the Karazhan Hallow's Eve event which is a Feat of Strength!

Huh? You requested they restore one of your deleted characters?

Aesthet1c

I was wondering this as well. I would like to think they changed how the stat scales.

I'm all for longer fights (well sometimes) but it makes the healers nearly invincible unless you have 3 solid dps on it. Already at this point, going against a healer alone on my hunter... it feels like i'm hitting them with a wet noodle and the mana never ends. I can only imagine the pain after this. Oh well wait and see I guess.

Well spell penetration is now PvP power and should help in mitigating your enemies resilience.

I'm mostly curious if resilience is even going to be on the new pvp gear or if it's all goin to be pvp power focused.

OH EM EFF GEE

That's amazing. Fuck yeah!

I think I'll be lucky if this optimization is done before servers come up.

I was amazed mine went so quickly seeing as my Warcraft folder was 37.7 gigs before and down to 18.9 after.

Einchy

I just tested it five minutes ago, on the PTR. In Ragefire I was getting 3 rep per trash mob and 60 rep per boss. I was level 85.

I know what I'll be doing all day, then.

What instance do you guys think would be best to farm?

mileS

Well spell penetration is now PvP power and should help in mitigating your enemies resilience.

I'm mostly curious if resilience is even going to be on the new pvp gear or if it's all goin to be pvp power focused.

I think it will be balanced between the two, for the new gear. The goal there was to encourage players to use a full set of PvP gear instead of mixing and matching with PvE gear or even just trinkets. Thats what I read anyway.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Sweet, that's like the one thing I wasn't sure about regarding 5.04. I will be quite psyched if I can get dragon turtles sooner than the launch of MoP.

Angry Grimace

Sweet, that's like the one thing I wasn't sure about regarding 5.04. I will be quite psyched if I can get dragon turtles sooner than the launch of MoP.

The vendor wasn't carrying the turtles when I looked, just the tabard.

ampere

Nah the change that makes pvp gear more viable in pve is the 'free' stat budgets for resilience and pvp power but at a lower ilevel.
What this means is that if the pve gear was ilevel 500, the pvp gear would be ilevel 490 and just as good as 490 pve gear (if it existed), but it will have bonus pvp stats making it a lot better for pvp.

Top Bottom