• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Rokam

I'm a newcomer who came to it after SWTOR, a couple of months back. For about a week after 5.0.4 tanks felt exceptionally weak and had no threat generation, but they seem to be back to form now and I'm loving playing my bear. Glyph of Stampeding Roar and Glyph of Faerie Fire are badass. The introduction of cross-realm phasing in older areas can be mildly annoying, but I wound up with more Netherwing Eggs tonight than I had ever gotten in a single haul before, so in the end, it wasn't really that much of a hassle.

Big thing for me now is to get capped on Justice Points on at least my Druid and Paladin, and maybe my Death Knight too if I have time to get him to 85.

A nice trick is to leave the zone and come back, may get lucky and get a different cross realm zone!

I'm kind of wanting to get in to the game again after quitting at the end of WOTLK. Is it still possible to get a scroll? Does it still give a free upgrade to Cata and 7 days free gametime?
If you're US send me a private message with your email and I'll send you one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The amount of whining about Cross Realm Zones on the official forums is embarassing, with many of the people complaining making totally outlandish claims like "Blizzard is going to go out of business since they hate their players," etc. etc.

Rokam

The amount of whining about Cross Realm Zones on the official forums is embarassing, with many of the people complaining making totally outlandish claims like "Blizzard is going to go out of business since they hate their players," etc. etc.

Just wait till new character models, they could be the best models ever and people will whine and cry.

Xint

A nice trick is to leave the zone and come back, may get lucky and get a different cross realm zone!

If you're US send me a private message with your email and I'll send you one.

Ah, thanks mate, but I'm EU. If anyone from EU got a spare scroll I'd be happy to receive it.

Fjordson

Hey guys, stupid question, but where's the best daily quest hub in Cataclysm? I already know the Tol'Barad ones, and I unlocked the Thundermar ones in Twilight Highlands (though it's only like four dailies there).

Rokam

Hey guys, stupid question, but where's the best daily quest hub in Cataclysm? I already know the Tol'Barad ones, and I unlocked the Thundermar ones in Twilight Highlands (though it's only like four dailies there).

Molten Front in Hyjal is the best (but it will take a few weeks to unlock them all), then Tol'Barad, and Therazane/Twilight Highlands Rep bringing up the rear.

scoobs

molten front without a doubt. great quests and it takes a month to finish all of them, plus u get a sweet flying mount and a really cool little toy that turns you into a night elf with firey shoulderpads.

Fjordson

molten front without a doubt. great quests and it takes a month to finish all of them, plus u get a sweet flying mount and a really cool little toy that turns you into a night elf with firey shoulderpads.

Molten Front in Hyjal is the best (but it will take a few weeks to unlock them all), then Tol'Barad, and Therazane/Twilight Highlands Rep bringing up the rear.

Well that sounds awesome, haha. Thanks guys.

RPGCrazied

What's with all the 4:3 loading screens? The continent maps look amazing. But all bg's and dungeon load screens are still 4:3. People that have played the beta. Are all the dungeon loading screens 4:3 too? I know it shouldn't matter, cause you look at them for 4 or 5 secs. But everything else in the game is widescreen, except those.

Whooter

What's with all the 4:3 loading screens? The continent maps look amazing. But all bg's and dungeon load screens are still 4:3. People that have played the beta. Are all the dungeon loading screens 4:3 too? I know it shouldn't matter, cause you look at them for 4 or 5 secs. But everything else in the game is widescreen, except those.

I would guess it's because that art was created at a 4:3 ratio, and stretching it to fill 16:9 would look horrible. Also, the rest of the game content is 16:9 because that's the ratio you told the game to render at.

I would guess it's because that art was created at a 4:3 ratio, and stretching it to fill 16:9 would look horrible. Also, the rest of the game content is 16:9 because that's the ratio you told the game to render at.

I think his question is more 'why do they still use loading screens that are 4:3 ratio when the majority of people these days use widescreens'.

RPGCrazied

I think his question is more 'why do they still use loading screens that are 4:3 ratio when the majority of people these days use widescreens'.

This. I fail to believe the blizzard devs are using old crt monitors. So they have to see it. And I understand for zones like AV and AB, cause those are ancient. But if they are still doing it in MoP, then wow. I'm sure the Pandaria map will be widescreen, but if all the dungeons are still 4:3 in almost 2013, I dunno. lol

I guess it doesn't bother many people.

Ultratech

One of the achievements isn't working, it links to a Pandaria dungeon achievement. Maybe it's just bugged on the Meta but still works.

I've heard you can still get it without that Pandaria achievement, but all of the other achievements have to be on one character.
Kinda weird and must be bugged somehow or another.

Not really enjoying the way Hunter feels in raids anymore. Survival with thrill of the hunt turns into a big arcane shot spam. While I enjoy BM for PvP and questing/dailies.. that also seems quite spammy in a raid environment. Not to mention BM is now broken on 2-3 fights in DS (not like it matters much anymore but still)

At this point im at a loss of what to level first for mists. Plenty of options.. just sad that my Hunter doesn't feel as good as it used to.

Thrill of the Hunt is weird. According to Wowhead, it's proc rate is like 30%, and it goes off a lot. (No cooldown it seems...)
It'd be probably be really good for BM, but then you lose out on Dire Beast. (Which does surprisingly decent damage. Does more damage than my pet's auto attacks.)
I tried TotH on Survival and it's hard getting a good rotation going with it since you'd end up with a ton of extra Focus.
But TotH is pretty awesome for spamming Multi-Shot, so there is that.

BTW, does anyone need a scroll of resurrection? A fellow gafer gave one to me a while back and it's a nice deal as I didn't own cata at the time. If anyone wants one just PM me. I think you just have to have an inactive account before March 4th of this year?

sazzy

lol i sent him a troll tweet and he answered

EsmTZ.jpg

I just dinged 85 on my mage, which I'm planning to eventually take to 90 (I'm guessing that my new monk, the paladin and the mage will be the only ones I bother to play). Is there anything worth doing at this point? I have tailoring at 502 but there are no interesting recipes now, so I guess I'll just wait for the MoP recipes. I'm too low for heroics so I'd need to cheat with PVP gear, but I don't see much reason for heroics since all gear will be outclassed soon.

Anything I've missed recently? I've done Dragon Soul on the paladin and the first few Molten Front quests, as well as the Thrall questline.

Tarazet

I just dinged 85 on my mage, which I'm planning to eventually take to 90 (I'm guessing that my new monk, the paladin and the mage will be the only ones I bother to play). Is there anything worth doing at this point? I have tailoring at 502 but there are no interesting recipes now, so I guess I'll just wait for the MoP recipes. I'm too low for heroics so I'd need to cheat with PVP gear, but I don't see much reason for heroics since all gear will be outclassed soon.

Anything I've missed recently? I've done Dragon Soul on the paladin and the first few Molten Front quests, as well as the Thrall questline.

Nothing wrong with cheating with the PvP gear, and it's a good way to cap your tailoring as well. Other than trading PvP resilience for a secondary stat, the 377 PvP blues are perfectly fine for dungeons (not raiding). Also, even if you're running normal Cata dungeons, you can trade your Justice Points for 397 epics now at the Valor vendor and easily get up to the 358 minimum for running the entry-level MoP dungeons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He damn well better not be bullshitting with all the comments he's made about challenge dungeons' difficulty. I truly want them to be hard as hell, and I mean hard as in Vanilla/BC standards.

They're not supposed to be hard to complete...they're supposed to be hard to get high scores.

He damn well better not be bullshitting with all the comments he's made about challenge dungeons' difficulty. I truly want them to be hard as hell, and I mean hard as in Vanilla/BC standards.
A friend of mine is in one of the top 20 guilds in the world and has been practicing gold runs on challenges for weeks now in Beta. He says they are the hardest content he has encountered since Vanilla WoW.

Berordn

One of the achievements isn't working, it links to a Pandaria dungeon achievement. Maybe it's just bugged on the Meta but still works.

I swear that wasn't there two days ago. Could just be a display error, but I can confirm that I've witnessed people get the meta.

But they're also people with but one 85. Hrm.

Just wait till new character models, they could be the best models ever and people will whine and cry.

It is totally not the same thing. Cross-realm issues impact gameplay and new character models are simply cosmetic.

Here are all the legit problems with cross-realm right now:

Major:
-want to quest with a guildie? better hope they transfer to the same realm as you when you cross that zone border, otherwise they will disappear until you cross another border.
-takin mah herbs, takin mah rare spawns, takin mah quest kills
-world PvP zones like TB are borked

Annoying:
-hey, you learned a bunch of new skills when you crossed that zone border, like swords!
-oh look I have 6 options to create a bolt of embersilk, except only the one on top works.
-server time constantly fluctuates

ampere

Sounds about right for any new feature, there were lots of 'the new talent system ruined the game' threads the week before.

It'd be nice if the complaining focused on which bugs with the system are causing problems so they can fix those, it's not like they'd remove cross realm zones.

Jesus christ, you just plow through the mobs now with full looms.

GC teasing about heirlooms

You're adding account-wide pets, mounts achievs. Any chance for account-wide heirlooms?
My dream = heirlooms work like titles. It's dumb to have to mail your own characters. Getting mail should be fun. No ETA.
Oh man this would be god tier

I love leveling new characters on different servers, it would be lovely to get heirlooms for it

lol i sent him a troll tweet and he answered

I don't think it's really a troll question because I'm sure some people really do wonder this - which is why I'm guessing he chose to answer it.

On the cross realm stuff... damned if you do, damned if you don't. However, some of the bugs that have popped up as a result need to be fixed asap. I didn't know about the grouping one but I'd be hella pissed if I was helping someone out and it did that. Or the flying thing.

Fighting for herbs or other mats? Expected if you have a full server. I'm willing to wait and see how it impacts auction houses. It could make very little difference when the numbers are looked at over the course of a month or two after Mists goes live. If not... they should hire an economist like Valve. *chuckles*

Angry Grimace

It is totally not the same thing. Cross-realm issues impact gameplay and new character models are simply cosmetic.

Major:
-want to quest with a guildie? better hope they transfer to the same realm as you when you cross that zone border, otherwise they will disappear until you cross another border.

Annoying:
-hey, you learned a bunch of new skills when you crossed that zone border, like swords!
-oh look I have 6 options to create a bolt of embersilk, except only the one on top works.

Those are mostly bugs. The people I'm referring to are complaining mostly about the concept in general because they don't like other people being there.

I really really disagree with being upset about people taking "your" herbs, spawns and quest kills. It's not a single player game.

Berordn

Major:

Annoying:

Most of these are just bugs to be ironed out, though. If you're grouped with someone you should be put in the same realm as designed, so that's a bug. Resources are variable and spawn accordingly to how active they're being used, so more competition doesn't necessarily mean less to go around.

I'm just saying there are some legit complains about the system as it is right now.

I will join you in making fun of the kids crying about higher populations from cross-realm because they got attacked while fishing...on a PvP server.

Cipherr

The crying from people who can't hack it in the challenges to get the high scores is going to be fucking glorious. I always enjoy the "Lol games to easy" just before they get their shit pushed in and start crying for nerfs.

Tarazet

So it looks like your 378 epics will be outclassed by the new quest greens, but if you have heroic gear it will last until you get level 86 blue drops. This MoP green is better than this 378 epic, but not as good as this 397 DS drop. Both get outdamaged by this 86 MoP green, but that's still not up to the level of this heroic 410 epic. You will need this level 86 blue to find an upgrade for that one.

And hey, how about that? They're finally putting in bear specific gear. http://mop.wowhead.com/item=90012

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So it looks like your 378 epics will be outclassed by the new quest greens, but if you have heroic gear it will last until you get level 86 blue drops. This MoP green is better than this 378 epic, but not as good as this 397 DS drop. Both get outdamaged by this 86 MoP green, but that's still not up to the level of this heroic 410 epic. You will need this level 86 blue to find an upgrade for that one.

And hey, how about that? They're finally putting in bear specific gear. http://mop.wowhead.com/item=90012
Same as every expansion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty sure that staff is part of some kind of monk quest.

TheYanger

Most of these are just bugs to be ironed out, though. If you're grouped with someone you should be put in the same realm as designed, so that's a bug. Resources are variable and spawn accordingly to how active they're being used, so more competition doesn't necessarily mean less to go around.

You absolutely stay in groups, and in fact can abuse this to avoid cross servering at all if you don't want to. The entire bunny killing strat I put the video from above was predicated on these facets of the system, and the 7 bunnies we got tell me I'm right :D

You absolutely stay in groups, and in fact can abuse this to avoid cross servering at all if you don't want to. The entire bunny killing strat I put the video from above was predicated on these facets of the system, and the 7 bunnies we got tell me I'm right :D

I do not always stay with the person I group with. I wouldn't just make that part up...

Maybe it only happens when you cross the border riding a two person flying mount.

TheYanger

Seriously? Monks getting gear with dodge while bears have to settle for reforging? Grrrr.

A blue staff that you won't use the instant you do a dungeon. Juts for some perspective man.
Also, you don't 'stay' with your friend zoning, so yeah I assume a 2 man mount will dump the passenger, but you will end up in the same phase.

Doing the rabbits I would see everyone disappear, zone change, then a few seconds later everyone reappears. That's what everyone sees. So while your friends will disappear, they WILL come back (again, the mount surely dumps them though, that's definitely a flaw).

Rokam

Speaking of polearms I saw Ghostcrawler mentioned they want to fix polearms (animations are wonky with titan's grip) and put strength ones back in. Hooray!

Wait, what? They allow two polearms now?

That would somewhat make me reconsider changing my warrior into a monk...

Edit: Ah, they're thinking about it. Still on track for monk.

How do you mean? The level cap is 90, but if you mean in terms of playing ability - I'd agree with the PR that it really does have content for everyone.

Thats what I was wondering. I have regular WoW and Cataclysm. Hopefully the new xpak has the rest packaged in? I'll do some research and might give it another shot.

If any GAFers can help a newbie out I'd appreciate it. *creates female character*

Top Bottom