• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

I am toying with the idea of coming back to WoW before MoP drops later this year. I'm just wondering, how long does it take to level up from 1-85? I think my long-dormant account has a level 80 Tauren Shaman and a level 30-something Blood Elf Rogue, but I remember leveling to be a complete and total pain back in the day. I think I would want to create a new character, but not if leveling is as grindy as it was when I last played a few years ago.

Leveling speed depends on class, game knowledge (class and zone), heirloom items used, guild experience level, and how much rested xp you use. I leveled a feral druid a couple weeks ago from 1-85 in 2 days 10 hours of playtime. For someone without extensive knowledge of the game it could take 2x-5x as long.

edit: I'm almost ready for Mists of Pandaria. I just need to finish changing a couple professions, rework my interface a bit, and spend a little time at 90 in the beta trying out a few more things like farming.

Rokal

I am toying with the idea of coming back to WoW before MoP drops later this year. I'm just wondering, how long does it take to level up from 1-85? I think my long-dormant account has a level 80 Tauren Shaman and a level 30-something Blood Elf Rogue, but I remember leveling to be a complete and total pain back in the day. I think I would want to create a new character, but not if leveling is as grindy as it was when I last played a few years ago.

They redid the entire 1-60 experience for Cataclysm. It was to the detriment of most of the end-game content in Cataclysm, but the leveling process is faster and less tedious then it was before. Almost all of the zones were revamped with new stories, quests, and better quest flows.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If any high level horde players are looking for a fun run through Blackwing Descent tonight, I'm in need of two more DPS and a healer. Just sign up for it on OpenRaid! Since I'm only about a month back into WoW, after a very long hiatus, I'm trying to experience all of the content I missed. So, this is a no-frills, let's just go in there, have fun, and experience the raid run.

Yeah I can probably tag along.

I'm fine with either Baine or Vol'jin. Hell make them co-leaders.

Baine would be amazing. Tauren have always been closest with the Orcs so I could see them accepting him. I could see a co-leader thing working too seeing how they might be leery to give one person that much power again after Garosh and watching things go unmanned when Thrall needed to do stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Getting to 85 from 80 can be done in a day if you had all day. It can be done in about 2 or 3 if you just want to play it a few hours at a time. They really nerfed XP from 82-85.

Alchemy

So my play pattern for this game is a little crazy right now. I have four 85s; Hunter (main), Paladin, Warlock, and Death Knight. All have farmed Xmog gear, though I need to farm a new purple set (Tier 2 probably) for my Warlock to match his new wings with the tank glyph. Instead of PvPing or raiding I've been slowly leveling alts.

73 Shaman
50 Warrior
45 Druid
36 Mage
33 Rogue
33 Priest

Been cycling these around only leveling characters with rest exp. Not sure I will continue this or focus on my Monk when MoP drops. I still need to get all these guys to the level cap and deck them out in Xmog gear.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That would be a huge stretch, don't you think lol? I don't think it would feel right if it weren't an Orc though.

Instead of the prince, an armored warrior stood before him, his plate helm and breastplate shining with the essence of the Light itself. The warrior wielded a sword forged from the same material as the armor, held it aloft as he perched on an outcropping... Whether it was on another world or Azeroth, Velen couldn't quite tell. And suddenly the dark sky above erupted with the combined chivalry of Azeroth's races. The blood elves, orcs, trolls, tauren, and even the accursed undead and scheming goblins rode flying mounts of every sort and description. They were armored and armed in magical weaponry glowing with so much power it hurt Velen's eyes to look at them. Beside the legions of the Horde, the ancient night elves charged with humans, dwarves, and gnomes, whose ancestors formed the original Alliance, and the shape-changing worgen were united with them. Velen's own draenei bolstered the army, their ranks adorned in otherworldly metals and bearing crystalline maces and swords.

The Alliance and Horde were not alone.

Dragons swooped and soared in formations that made the sky resemble a giant multicolored, reptilian wing. They blanketed the horizon with their physical size and numbers, and when they roared a challenge, it shook not just the earth Velen stood on, but the universe as well.

And yet, for all this, the greatest shock to Velen's senses came as he saw those that flew just beyond the army of dragons. The naaru had taken the field, so many that Velen didn't understand how creation could contain them. The power of these beings of Light filled Velen's heart with hope, swept away the lonely centuries, and left him in wonder that he could ever despair, that the dark, no matter how terrible, could ever truly reign.

And then a shadow fell.

It was vast and empty and swallowed all light that entered it. Velen knew it would be all consuming until, at last, it would turn and devour itself, endlessly gnawing on nothing in the Great Dark Beyond, removing all meaning from the universe, from the most heart-breaking sonata to the most arresting sunset. It was too terrible to see, to comprehend, and yet the army headed straight for it. And the light began to fade...

He's going to lead them all eventually, why not now?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What else would convince the king to stop the war with the horde, especially after the events on Pandaria, then if the horde is led by his own son? The only other way would be if Varian died and Anduin became King, but then who would be the Horde leader to sue for peace with the alliance, after what happens in MoP?

He's a questgiver in MoP for Horde players, he's always tried to make friendly with the orcs.

It wouldn't make horde players happy unless it was somehow done super well, but Alliance didn't have a leader at all until WotLK, and they did alright.

All signs are pointing to the next expansion being Burning Legion focused, Wrathion quests are focused on it, that story is focused on it, and the Horde and Alliance in full scale war is a perfect time for them to come back. My personal guess is some sort of Burning Crusade Cataclysm-esc revamp to Outland, since it's now the oldest content in the game. Even Wotlk will stand up for a long ass time, Outland is not much better than Vanilla WoW.

They're going to have to eventually give a final expansion to WoW and tie up the story, they're working on a new MMO and what better way to encourage people to buy and play that then give finality to their old one?

Rokam

A word of advice regarding cross-realm zones. Try and stay close to the ground, I've died twice due to my mount vanishing while crossing zones. Annoying as shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What else would convince the king to stop the war with the horde, especially after the events on Pandaria, then if the horde is led by his own son? The only other way would be if Varian died and Anduin became King, but then who would be the Horde leader to sue for peace with the alliance, after what happens in MoP?

He's a questgiver in MoP for Horde players, he's always tried to make friendly with the orcs.

It wouldn't make horde players happy unless it was somehow done super well, but Alliance didn't have a leader at all until WotLK, and they did alright.

All signs are pointing to the next expansion being Burning Legion focused, Wrathion quests are focused on it, that story is focused on it, and the Horde and Alliance in full scale war is a perfect time for them to come back. My personal guess is some sort of Burning Crusade Cataclysm-esc revamp to Outland, since it's now the oldest content in the game. Even Wotlk will stand up for a long ass time, Outland is not much better than Vanilla WoW.

They're going to have to eventually give a final expansion to WoW and tie up the story, they're working on a new MMO and what better way to encourage people to buy and play that then give finality to their old one?

I for one, can't wait for TIDES OF WAR SPOILER
we get to see Jaina lay Kalec's eggs which grow into mutant half-dragons.

Also, does Wrathion have the Aspect powers or did they just die with Deathwing?

Rokam

I believe all the aspects powers are gone. And honestly they should just disappear, except Wrathion because I like that guy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I can't wait for the rule 34 on that.

Angry Grimace

I believe all the aspects powers are gone. And honestly they should just disappear, except Wrathion because I like that guy.

Hence the question - the Aspects lost their powers by putting them into the Dragon Soul, but obviously Deathwing didn't.

Rokam

Hence the question - the Aspects lost their powers by putting them into the Dragon Soul, but obviously Deathwing didn't.

Did they ever explain how Kalecgos got Aspect powers besides being appointed aspect? Since the titans gave them their powers I wouldn't think that it can just be passed down.

Angry Grimace

Did they ever explain how Kalecgos got Aspect powers besides being appointed aspect? Since the titans gave them their powers I wouldn't think that it can just be passed down.

Yes, its in the Tarecgosa quest that you didn't get to do unless you got the legendary.

Rokam

Yes, its in the Tarecgosa quest that you didn't get to do unless you got the legendary.

I'm still bitter they introduced Chromatus in the books and then never fucking used him. Seriously, they built up this awesome clearly going to be a raid boss dragon and did nothing with him. Disappointing.

Angry Grimace

I'm still bitter they introduced Chromatus in the books and then never fucking used him. Seriously, they built up this awesome clearly going to be a raid boss dragon and did nothing with him. Disappointing.

Chromatus is still alive though.

Angry Grimace

And will never be seen again. Hell look at Mal'Ganis he said he'd see you in Icecrown and... nothing. Or Gallywix who isn't even in game.

Edit: You're referring to the post Onslaught quests right?

Rokam

Mal'Ganis was in Icecrown. That was in WCIII.

There's a quest chain in Icecrown where you fight Mal'ganis and at 1% he flees but not before telling you that you'll need his help to take down Arthas and that he'd see you in Icecrown Citadel.

Sorry missed putting Citadel in my first post.

Angry Grimace

There's a quest chain in Icecrown where you fight Mal'ganis and at 1% he flees but not before telling you that you'll need his help to take down Arthas and that he'd see you in Icecrown Citadel.

Sorry missed putting Citadel in my first post.
We got Brostorm instead of Mal'Ganis.

Touch

Is there a different in the Dreadweave and Felweave helms for Warlocks? Mainly just the wing animation, don't care about the stats.

Rokam

Any tips for Acrocalypse Now? It's the last achievement I need for mount, figure I'll try for it this weekend.
Even though the meta is bugged :(

Wintergrasp is hilarious now, have to wait till it switches to alliance controlled and click the orb fast. It switches at random times. Won it for the alliance even though I'm Horde earlier today.

Berordn

Any tips for Acrocalypse Now? It's the last achievement I need for mount, figure I'll try for it this weekend.

Take off your weapons. Seriously.

Also a guildmate of mine got it just last night and it worked fine for him. The mount is awarded directly to your mount list now so that might be causing some confusion?

is there a GAF guild? I'd probably consider playing if GAFers ran dungeons together. I hate doing randoms because everyone just speeds through and bitches at you cuz you're new.

Rokam

Take off your weapons. Seriously.

Also a guildmate of mine got it just last night and it worked fine for him. The mount is awarded directly to your mount list now so that might be causing some confusion?

One of the achievements isn't working, it links to a Pandaria dungeon achievement. Maybe it's just bugged on the Meta but still works.

A word of advice regarding cross-realm zones. Try and stay close to the ground, I've died twice due to my mount vanishing while crossing zones. Annoying as shit.

I use Random Companion to summon my mounts and I found when I'm in a cross server area, it will only summon ground mounts. Maybe it was trying to protect me from this. :/

Angry Grimace

is there a GAF guild? I'd probably consider playing if GAFers ran dungeons together. I hate doing randoms because everyone just speeds through and bitches at you cuz you're new.

There isn't, but with Battletags you can practically group with anyone anywhere for just dungeons since all dungeons are enabled for cross-realm.

We don't have a battletag repository yet, but I'm sure its coming.

Ffs someone put up tabard of the lightbringer on the AH for 750g, but someone bought it before I could get to it:(

:(

A nice goal this expansion would be to finish my Shadowmourne. Maybe go after Dragonwrath as well. Was searching in MC for Bindings or the Eye, but hadn't had any luck. Still need to go there anyway to work on rep though.

And yeah, a Battletag list for WoWGAF wouldn't be too hard. Far fewer people than all the stuff I had to manage for the Diablo list. Hell, we could even organize fun nights doing old raids or whatever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Wintergrasp is hilarious now, have to wait till it switches to alliance controlled and click the orb fast. It switches at random times. Won it for the alliance even though I'm Horde earlier today.

Get the tank and healer to stand with the boss while the DPS kite the crocs on their mounts. Once you have 20, you stack together and AOE them down.

ampere

There isn't really one, but there is a cross realm friend list system called 'battle tags' so you can group with people on any realm in your region and do dungeons and non-current raids.

Rokam

How is the game currently? Haven't played since un-subbing after Firelands came out.

Completely new talent system, a few classes play differently, no cap on dailies. Other things I can't think of. And I enjoy it all, really like the new talents and no cap on dailies.

mileS

Not really enjoying the way Hunter feels in raids anymore. Survival with thrill of the hunt turns into a big arcane shot spam. While I enjoy BM for PvP and questing/dailies.. that also seems quite spammy in a raid environment. Not to mention BM is now broken on 2-3 fights in DS (not like it matters much anymore but still)

At this point im at a loss of what to level first for mists. Plenty of options.. just sad that my Hunter doesn't feel as good as it used to.

Tarazet

How is the game currently? Haven't played since un-subbing after Firelands came out.

I'm a newcomer who came to it after SWTOR, a couple of months back. For about a week after 5.0.4 tanks felt exceptionally weak and had no threat generation, but they seem to be back to form now and I'm loving playing my bear. Glyph of Stampeding Roar and Glyph of Faerie Fire are badass. The introduction of cross-realm phasing in older areas can be mildly annoying, but I wound up with more Netherwing Eggs tonight than I had ever gotten in a single haul before, so in the end, it wasn't really that much of a hassle.

Big thing for me now is to get capped on Justice Points on at least my Druid and Paladin, and maybe my Death Knight too if I have time to get him to 85.

Xint

I'm kind of wanting to get in to the game again after quitting at the end of WOTLK. Is it still possible to get a scroll? Does it still give a free upgrade to Cata and 7 days free gametime?

Top Bottom