• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ABgpI.png

Just saw this while running my low lvl alt.

I wish it was true lol.

scoobs

You can group with people on any server now if you use battletags (it's a friend list system), but yeah Area 52 alliance is a bad choice because the server is so imbalanced. It's a good server if you play horde, but if you play alliance maybe you should try proudmoore

Best alliance server = kel'thuzad

Enosh

the new Scholomance is really fun imo and looks a lot better, I like the purple lighting, fits very well, worth checking out if you have an alt around that level

20$ that if I go the wow forums now I'll see people whine about it being dumbed down ^^

also shadow priest is awesome, but for the love of god blizz give me a god damn aoe spell :(

Fjordson

So, I was struck by sudden motivation to go after the last group of achievements I need for my Red Proto-Drake. I'm all the way down to just two left. Amber Void and and Experienced Drake Rider, both in the fucking Oculus. What a bastard of an instance.

I can almost solo it on an Emerald drake, but I die every time. Gonna be such a pain in the ass to find a group for this :lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So, I was struck by sudden motivation to go after the last group of achievements I need for my Red Proto-Drake. I'm all the way down to just two left. Amber Void and and Experienced Drake Rider, both in the fucking Oculus. What a bastard of an instance.

I can almost solo it on an Emerald drake, but I die every time. Gonna be such a pain in the ass to find a group for this :lol
Ugh I hate that instance. Worst shitty vehicle fight in the game.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Time to hit up Openraid.

Fjordson

I got the amber void achievement solo! Just kited him around on a ruby drake. Oh man, that was a pain in the ass. Can't believe I managed to do it.

Now I just need to kill him the regular way while on an emerald drake. I'm sure I can bribe 3-4 people to kill him with me sometime soon. I hope :p

Time to hit up Openraid.
I just looked this up. Pretty damn cool! Can't believe I've never heard of it before.

Rokam

I got the amber void achievement solo! Just kited him around on a ruby drake. Oh man, that was a pain in the ass. Can't believe I managed to do it.

Now I just need to kill him the regular way while on an emerald drake. I'm sure I can bribe 3-4 people to kill him with me sometime soon. I hope :p

Scratch that, just add me Rokam#1752. I'll help you tomorrow, just whisper me whenever.

Tarazet

The more I play Guardian Druid now the more I like it. It's definitely more about active mitigation than it was on my Paladin pre 5.0.4 though.. I have next to no chance of survival if I just run in and start DPSing. I pre-pull with Cenarion Ward and Enrage, use at least one tanking cooldown on every pull (particularly Barkskin), interrupt and chain-stun casters, and spend all of the Rage that I possibly can on Savage Defense, to the point of using up all 3 stacks by the time the pull is over, and using Frenzied Regeneration whenever I have open space on my health bar.

There are still fights where I will use Maul. It's off the GCD, so in cases where it's needed, it's a non-trivial increase to damage. Usually I use it because I'm being put at risk by poor DPS from other team members causing me to be exposed to higher-damage boss phases, so in those cases, I'll just blow Berserk, hit my Troll haste racial, and spam Mangle and Maul. I won't use it unless it's more important to prevent the next phase than it is to heal myself.

sazzy

So this thought just hit me...

Is the Theramore scenario only going to be open for people who digitally pre-ordered the expansion? Or is it going to be available for everyone? I won't get my retail CE until launch date obviously.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So this thought just hit me...

Is the Theramore scenario only going to be open for people who digitally pre-ordered the expansion? Or is it going to be available for everyone? I won't get my retail CE until launch date obviously.

Same as every expansion, all pre-expansion events are for everyone.

syoaran

Ok good to know. Here I was about to go all troll-rage mode on n.net forums...

To be honest, it's not that big a deal if it was locked. You'd get to play it, exactly as it is next week, as soon as you hit 90. The reason why it makes more sense to play it before is because it provides exposition on the escalating war between the Horde and Alliance.

Oh that and its the first new content in almost a year. Well, putting it like that - your probably right to rage.

sazzy

To be honest, it's not that big a deal if it was locked. You'd get to play it, exactly as it is next week, as soon as you hit 90. The reason why it makes more sense to play it before is because it provides exposition on the escalating war between the Horde and Alliance.

Oh that and its the first new content in almost a year. Well, putting it like that - your probably right to rage.

I wouldn't care but its the only pre expansion event thing.

And I'm planning on questing slowly and enjoy the experience leveling up rather than rush through it. Not that I have the time to rush through content anyway.

There are still fights where I will use Maul. It's off the GCD, so in cases where it's needed, it's a non-trivial increase to damage. Usually I use it because I'm being put at risk by poor DPS from other team members causing me to be exposed to higher-damage boss phases, so in those cases, I'll just blow Berserk, hit my Troll haste racial, and spam Mangle and Maul. I won't use it unless it's more important to prevent the next phase than it is to heal myself.
I never use maul and have considered completely removing it from my key-bound action bar. I would rather dump my rage into Frenzied Regen/Savage Defense. Swipe and Thrash give me more than enough DPS to keep threat on AOE mobs. And, as it stands, rage generation can be rather slow, so mitigation will always be my priority.

Bear tanking is certainly a more active experience now, I absolutely agree with that.

Bisnic

Speaking of the Theramore scenario, do we have any idea when they're going to activate it for 85s? Hopefully this week. If not... well that leave next tuesday.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Speaking of the Theramore scenario, do we have any idea when they're going to activate it for 85s? Hopefully this week. If not... well that leave next tuesday.

They said it will be active for the week prior to Mists launching. So, September 18 is likely the date it will go live.

They have confirmed September 18th for the Theramore scenario.

Couple random questions:

1) Guild experience - not getting it in heroic 85 dungeons...I am getting it on some dailies but how else can I get it? Trying to get to exalted...

2) Is Molten Front like the Cata equivalent to the Argent Tournament? i.e. large daily hub with mount and pet rewards?

Ultratech

I just looked this up. Pretty damn cool! Can't believe I've never heard of it before.

Yup, OpenRaid is pretty awesome for wanting to get those achievements done. Also good for participating in raids when your sever is otherwise near-dead (like my server).

Did an ICC 25 run last night and managed to pick up some nice transmog stuff, and I nearly have all the meta-achievements done for ICC 25 (still gotta become a Vampire...).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Official blizzard employees, aka the blue posters on the warcraft forums.

Theramore's Fall, the first of many Scenarios coming to World of Warcraft, is a story-changing event that will be available to level-85 characters for one week only -- the week leading up to the launch of Mists of Pandaria on September 25.

For the duration of the week of September 18-24, level-85 characters will be able to queue up for and participate in the Alliance and Horde versions of this new Scenario with two friends. (Please note: if friends are not available to you at the time, two will be provided. Batteries not included. Subject to change. Void where prohibited.)

After the lifting of the mists, Theramore's Fall will join all other Scenarios as level-90-only content, and everyone -- including players who missed it at level 85 -- will be able to play through the event. Upon completing the Scenario for the first time, players will see the aftermath of the battle whenever visiting Theramore in Dustwallow Marsh. Theramore will eventually be changed permanently to its post-battle state in a future patch, sometime after the launch of Mists of Pandaria, whether or not players have completed the Scenario.

We’ll see you there!

Bisnic

Are Scenarios those events where you dont need a tank or healer to beat it? I haven't really followed the previews on how it work, but how do you survive these without someone to tank or heal? The enemies aren't elites? You always have a super hero NPC near you that makes you almost invincible, just like the Battle of Undercity(RIP)?

Are Scenarios those events where you dont need a tank or healer to beat it? I haven't really followed the previews on how it work, but how do you survive these without someone to tank or heal? The enemies aren't elites? You always have a super hero NPC near you that makes you almost invincible, just like the Battle of Undercity(RIP)?
Yep, they are the 3-mans. I don't understand this no tank/healz nonsense. What am I to do, as a bear tank? Respec for these? I don't think Blizzard has necessarily qualified this for us.

Bisnic

Yep, they are the 3-mans. I don't understand this no tank/healz nonsense. What am I to do, as a bear tank? Respec for these? I don't think Blizzard has necessarily qualified this for us.

Hm... use your DPS spec maybe? With dual spec nowadays, no one is stupid enough to not have a DPS spec along with their tank or heal one... right? :p

Anoregon

They have confirmed September 18th for the Theramore scenario.

Couple random questions:

1) Guild experience - not getting it in heroic 85 dungeons...I am getting it on some dailies but how else can I get it? Trying to get to exalted...

2) Is Molten Front like the Cata equivalent to the Argent Tournament? i.e. large daily hub with mount and pet rewards?

1) You will only get guild rep/xp from dungeons if at least 3/5 people in the group are in the same guild, and only for bosses. As of patch 5.0.4, every non-grey quest you complete at any level awards 60,000 guild xp and 183 guild rep (which can be increased by 50-100% with appropriate tabards.) Guild xp/rep gains for dungeons do not seem to have been changed.

2) Pretty much. You can unlock more dailies and access to vendors as you keep doing the dailies. At this point the majority of stuff you get will just be obsolete gear, but there is a mount-awarding meta achievement and a couple of pets.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've been questing like crazy in Northrend trying to get closer to Loremaster on Moon Guard before Pandaria comes out.

Getting a lot of Guild exp with the Forsaken Empire on the way and the extra EXP is nice (Dreamskull isn't that bad unless he's hyper).

What sucks is trying to get a group for Lich King heroics. It seems like the TBC dungeon finder runs I do on my priest are more active than Northrend! Always a tank that's needed as well. Frustrating.

I really hope this isn't the true answer. DPS is not something I ever like doing.

It doesn't require heals or a tank... doesn't mean you can't play one. It's just meant to be looser than a specific five man composition. If you remember, we've had plenty of "requires three players" quests in the past. Just means what you're fighting will be a little tougher than the average mob.

I welcome this over phased content I've caught up to that no one gives a shit about or has already passed it and I can't find help. Icecrown was a nightmare for that.

Bisnic

It doesn't require heals or a tank... doesn't mean you can't play one. It's just meant to be looser than a specific five man composition. If you remember, we've had plenty of "requires three players" quests in the past. Just means what you're fighting will be a little tougher than the average mob.

I welcome this over phased content I've caught up to that no one gives a shit about or has already passed it and I can't find help. Icecrown was a nightmare for that.

Yeah but if tanks and healers are not required, what is he going to do there as a tank even if he can queue? Tank mobs that doesn't need to be tanked?

And sorry if you don't like dpsing DJ, but 95% of the playerbase do, so Blizzard would rather please all those people than the 5% who hates it. It's the same reason why they changed raids to make them more available to everyone, even if 5% of the playerbase, the hardcore raiders, hates them for that.

Just go in as your tank spec. Its not like the content will be hard as far as we know there is no ilevel requirement so quest gear should get you through.

Yeah but if tanks and healers are not required, what is he going to do there as a tank even if he can queue? Tank mobs that doesn't need to be tanked?

Help kill stuff? We still don't know all of the strategies - it's possible that some stuff could be easier if you have a tank. Considering most of the scenarios will be for 90's, I don't expect a cakewalk to happen for a long time and I doubt anyone is going to be left twiddling their thumbs not feeling useful.

Irnbru

Anyone here done Heroic Madness? Trying to gauge the difficulty as our guild is doing it tonight :X, we down'd spine in a few shots, but wondering if this is going to be harder

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anyone here done Heroic Madness? Trying to gauge the difficulty as our guild is doing it tonight :X, we down'd spine in a few shots, but wondering if this is going to be harder

Spine is considerably harder than Madness.

The biggest change on Spine is:

1) Making sure you handle the corrupting parasite properly. The person that gets the debuff needs to be healed and stay in the yellow circle that Norzdormu puts down. Depending how many ranged you have, they should all be focused on killing it.

2) Assuming you do Alexestrasza second, make sure that you don't DPS the wings/claw too fast before the Mutated Corruption comes up and trigger the Blistering Tentacles. (It's sad that the nerfs actually make the fight harder in the sense that you have to watch your DPS)

3) When you get to the last platform:
- Get Deathwing to about 17%
- Kill the Fragments (USE DREAM IF YOU GET SHRAPNEL)
- Kill the Terrors
- Bring Deathwing to 15%. MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION WHERE THE CONGEALING BLOODS ARE COMING FROM. They can come from one of three spots on the platform. Make sure you get your slows ready ASAP. If they get Deathwing they heal him.
- Bring Deathwing to 12%
- Kill Fragments and Terrors again
- Pop Heroism/Bloodlust and bring Deathwing to 10%.
- Kill the Congealing Bloods
- Burn Deathwing to 5%
- Kill the Congealing Bloods
- Ignore the Fragments but make sure to use Dream if you get shrapnel
- Boss dies

Irnbru

Awesome, thanks guys, it doesn't sound so bad. Yeah Spine was tough, It was a great feeling getting it down with 1% mana left ( Priest heals)

Yeah doesn't sound so bad, except for the parasite crap, which shouldn't be so bad :p

And yeah to the dps, sucks we have to slow down due to the mechanics , lol

Tarazet

I don't think there's ever a situation where tank + healer isn't a good thing, unless it's a pure DPS race which doesn't sound like what they're trying to do.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think there's ever a situation where tank + healer isn't a good thing, unless it's a pure DPS race which doesn't sound like what they're trying to do.

I remember reading that dodging big telegraphed attacks is something they want people to do. So basically it's kind of like training for raids for DPS, a tank and healer would probably trivialize the encounter but we have no way of knowing until next week.

And sorry if you don't like dpsing DJ, but 95% of the playerbase do, so Blizzard would rather please all those people than the 5% who hates it. It's the same reason why they changed raids to make them more available to everyone, even if 5% of the playerbase, the hardcore raiders, hates them for that.
Taken from the Dev Waterooler:

JL: They're very different than the bosses you're used to, though, because Scenarios are designed to be completed by three characters of any spec.

Seems 3-players is the focus, not so much 3 Deeps. Though the article goes on to say bosses' attacks can't be healed or tanked through. Now, I am trying very hard to read into these statements, and the only thing I can think is that there are external ways to do damage to these bosses. In addition, with new tanking vengeance mechanics, DPS is improved. Last LFR I did, for example, had me #7 in DPS. Certainly, it's LFR, but the point remains.

I do wish Blizz would offer more information. Seems we'll find out next week, regardless.

Bisnic

Taken from the Dev Waterooler:

Seems 3-players is the focus, not so much 3 Deeps. Though the article goes on to say bosses' attacks can't be healed or tanked through. Now, I am trying very hard to read into these statements, and the only thing I can think is that there are external ways to do damage to these bosses. In addition, with new tanking vengeance mechanics, DPS is improved. Last LFR I did, for example, had me #7 in DPS. Certainly, it's LFR, but the point remains.

I do wish Blizz would offer more information. Seems we'll find out next week, regardless.

Well, maybe they're going to put heal npcs or something if there is no healers... i mean, you have take damage somehow, or else there is 0 challenge. And if you end up with a group of 1 mage, 1 hunter and 1 warlock, no one is going to save your ass.

That or every boss abilities can kill you in one hit, so healer or not, you're dead if you don't move or interrupt.

Well, maybe they're going to put heal npcs or something if there is no healers... i mean, you have take damage somehow, or else there is 0 challenge. And if you end up with a group of 1 mage, 1 hunter and 1 warlock, no one is going to save your ass.

That or every boss abilities can kill you in one hit, so healer or not, you're dead if you don't move or interrupt.

Yeah, but every spec has "oh shit" buttons...just cycle those in an efficient manner and it would probably be okay.

It's annoying when DPSer's rely solely on the healer and don't ever make an effort to drop aggro.

Bisnic

Yeah, but every spec has "oh shit" buttons...just cycle those in an efficient manner and it would probably be okay.

It's annoying when DPSer's rely solely on the healer and don't ever make an effort to drop aggro.

It's not just a matter of dropping aggro and pressing your "oh shit" button. There is a lot of unavoidable damage, be it AOE, circle of poison appearing out of nowhere under your feet, boss targeting a random player, and so on. If a hunter press his "oh shit, drop aggro" button and the boss goes for the warlock, it's not going to be good for him either.

Then again, if having a tank is not necessary, maybe those bosses don't even work the same way otherwise DPS would die fast.... actually i have no idea. Did no one here do scenarios in the beta? How does it work?

Tarazet

It sounds like more encounters like Mannoroth where player damage is a secondary concern, and it's more important to use the fight mechanics properly (the Blessing of Elune, staying close for your radiating Fel Flames to hit, etc)

The types of things you'll probably see in scenarios are probably things like Heigan's dance. Avoidable, but heavily damaging/deadly attacks. Typical melee auto-attacks will be a non-factor, though you might have things like Ozruk's (Stonecore) abilities.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I was really hoping Scenarios were going to be the size of BGs but with PVE adjectives.

[edit]

That's what Guild Wars is doing, right? If only I wasn't so poor.

Top Bottom