• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Garryk

Gnomes get to see the aftermath of trying to get Gnomer back which is pretty cool. Similarly, trolls get the new Echo Isles stuff which is also cool.

I don't think anything has changed quite as much as the Forsaken Tirisfal -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad route, though. Stonetalon is well worth checking out as either faction (and, in fact, both factions), so you could do a troll Durotar -> Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon, and that would be pretty fun.

For humans, Elwynn is pretty much identical but Westfall is a proper sequel to how the zone used to be. It's nice to see. Same for night elves and Teldrassil -> Darkshore. Same then sequel.
I've played an Undead through the new stuff up to Arathi, so I was definitely thinking about doing Kalimdor this time. I have the classes narrowed down to Mage, Warlock, Shaman, or Druid. Never leveled any of these.

Are the Goblins not any fun?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Goblins are great, they are just really unique, which could be seen as a negative since their whole starting experience seems so separate from the game at large for the most part. I love the Goblin music as well, it's the same tune that plays when you hop a zeppelin to STV.

strafer

Yeah, i love my little Demonology Dwarf Warlock lvl 26. :p The demon form is cool, but i lose demonic fury so fast since i got the passive that change Shadow Bolt to some instant spell. That thing drains Demonic Fury so fast!

But is it just me or Soul Fire just suck? The cast time is way too long and it barely does more damage than whatever Shadow Bolt is called in Demon form. Oh well, maybe it will get better in later lvls.

You should only cast Soul Fire when Molten Core procs, but you get that at 69.

Robin64

Are the Goblins not any fun?

Oh if you haven't done goblin, then definitely do that. I had just assumed you had as practically everyone rushed out to do the goblin zones. Honestly, those are amazing. Kezan -> Lost Isles -> Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon. HELL YES. This is a good route. Maybe one of the best.

Garryk

Oh if you haven't done goblin, then definitely do that. I had just assumed you had as practically everyone rushed out to do the goblin zones. Honestly, those are amazing. Kezan -> Lost Isles -> Azshara -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon. HELL YES. This is a good route. Maybe one of the best.
Yeah, I avoided them when Cata started because I figured they would be packed. After leveling three characters to 85 and running that Undead through the new stuff (Forsaken lorewhore here), I was burned out and never got around to them.

I've never actually been able to finish Stonetalon - I always outlevel before I've gone through the entire story. It is a very good story though, and it's interesting, since you get a taste of what some higher level content is like at a low level. Sort of like a more polished Ghostlands (which is still pretty good.)

And I forget what the current Ashenvale is like at the moment. All I can remember is the old one, which was a bit tedious, but I did it enough as an alternative to the other options.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've never actually been able to finish Stonetalon - I always outlevel before I've gone through the entire story. It is a very good story though, and it's interesting, since you get a taste of what some higher level content is like at a low level. Sort of like a more polished Ghostlands (which is still pretty good.)

And I forget what the current Ashenvale is like at the moment. All I can remember is the old one, which was a bit tedious, but I did it enough as an alternative to the other options.

Current Ashenvale is a lot about Orcs VS Night elves, with them invading Astranaar and that Sentinel building near the lake. It's also a preparation for what happen in Stonetalon with the Goblin's "nuke" bomb.

ampere

Welp my hunger for more mounts never wanes... just got this bad boy on run #21 :) Pile O' Mounts = 125

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2932/wowscrnshot091012235941.jpg[IMG]

Now to get that pesky drake from vortex pinnacle![/QUOTE]

Grats, I've been going for the Stonecore one lately on my blood dk.

A guildy just got both the stonecore drake and the vortex pinnacle one on the same day, lucky bastard.

Yet Activision isn't. Blizzard is now owned by Activision and we should never forget this.

I think people give Activision too much credit for Blizzard's affairs. Blizzard has their company to run, Activision has theirs, and in between they need to coordinate back to shareholders and Vivendi's board. If Blizzard wasn't as successful as they are, sure. I'd give in that Activision has some secret shadow changing some business habits. But they're still pumping out successful titles so they've had no reason to be messed with.

As for the screenshots, it'll be interesting to see what the response is. I can understand why they'd do it... people breaking NDAs or doing something against the TOS and thinking they're safe by blacking names out. But like someone mentioned in that other thread... you can at least be open about it like with Guild Wars 2.

Makes me glad I never really had a reason to post screens anywhere though.

Bisnic

Incorrect, both are owned by Vivendi. The same company that's owned Blizzard for years. Hence why Blizzard still acts independent and has virtually no ties to Activision

Yeah, thankfully we never see the Activision logo when you start a Blizzard game for the first time. It would ruin all their nice intro cinematics. ;p

aesop

Well, CRZ is completely breaking the game. There is a small patch today that has introduced way more bugs than it was supposed to "fix". For example, in Northrend (working on crusader title, lol) SW:pain misses everything. I just got all the achievements for First Aid when I've never even trained it. And now, the world server is down for Northrend and I can't log into my main. All of these issues seem to be tied to CRZ. Check the bug forums. It's hilarious.

Well, CRZ is completely breaking the game. There is a small patch today that has introduced way more bugs than it was supposed to "fix". For example, in Northrend (working on crusader title, lol) SW:pain misses everything. I just got all the achievements for First Aid when I've never even trained it. And now, the world server is down for Northrend and I can't log into my main. All of these issues seem to be tied to CRZ. Check the bug forums. It's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm discovering that cross realm is causing my PC to completely freeze up. It only happens during Dragon Soul (which was confirmed on Twitter earlier it was using the cross realm feature) and in other cross realm areas. I tried all the fixes (go to 32 bit client instead of 64, DX9 instead of 11) and it still happens. I really don't know what they're going to do considering the bugs are multiplying and the launch is getting closer.

aesop

Yeah, I'm discovering that cross realm is causing my PC to completely freeze up. It only happens during Dragon Soul (which was confirmed on Twitter earlier it was using the cross realm feature) and in other cross realm areas. I tried all the fixes (go to 32 bit client instead of 64, DX9 instead of 11) and it still happens. I really don't know what they're going to do considering the bugs are multiplying and the launch is getting closer.

Honestly, I think they're going to need to disable it pending further testing. While it seems like a good idea in theory, it's just not working in practice.

Rokam

tumblr_lgkckh1yV31qa30dn.gif

People trying to create controversy where there is none.

Bisnic

There's a bug where zoning in sets your flying skill to 1 and aren't able to mount up.

My friend who has the recruit-a-friend rocket with an additional seat told me that if someone else is with him on the rocket while changing zones, this guy will get dismounted. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I think they're going to need to disable it pending further testing. While it seems like a good idea in theory, it's just not working in practice.

It works just fine for most of the playing population. It's mostly a vocal minority complaining about competition for "their" herbs and then another subset of people pretending they have a clue how the game's engine works and what causes various things.

My friend who has the recruit-a-friend rocket with an additional seat told me that if someone else is with him on the rocket while changing zones, this guy will get dismounted. :p

Yep, I posted this a couple days ago and someone didn't believe me :) Not only are they dismounted, but they are phased onto a different realm so you won't be able to quest or do anything with them until you both cross another zone border.

Another bug with CRZ is that the game freezes for a second each time you cross a zone border. Extremely annoying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep, I posted this a couple days ago and someone didn't believe me :) Not only are they dismounted, but they are phased onto a different realm so you won't be able to quest or do anything with them until you both cross another border.

Another bug with CRZ is that the game freezes for a second each time you cross a zone border. Extremely annoying.

That isn't a bug. The game has to dynamically send or pull other people to your server.

Haven't experienced it (yet), but it definitely seems like they need to work all the kinks out of CRZ.

On the plus side, you probably won't have to worry about it in Pandaria fucking things up, as those zones should be full enough for the first couple weeks that it probably won't trigger.

That isn't a bug. The game has to dynamically send or pull other people to your server.

It's against Blizzard's MMO ideology. They have always said they are against zone border loading. I realize they were proably talking about loading screens but even a 1-second freeze can be extremely jarring when we're used to the seamless transition that had existed for years.

Angry Grimace

Haven't experienced it (yet), but it definitely seems like they need to work all the kinks out of CRZ.

On the plus side, you probably won't have to worry about it in Pandaria fucking things up, as those zones should be full enough for the first couple weeks that it probably won't trigger.

CRZ isn't active in Pandaria at all, actually. CRZ is supposed to make the world in general seem more active. GC just said it won't be "on" in Pandaria.

aesop

It works just fine for most of the playing population. It's mostly a vocal minority complaining about competition for "their" herbs and then another subset of people pretending they have a clue how the game's engine works and what causes various things.

I'm sure you're sick of all the CRZ bitching, but that's not even what I'm talking about. It is, quite literally, making the game unplayable for a lot of people due to the amount of bugs inherent in the CRZ system.

Angry Grimace

It's against Blizzard's MMO ideology. They have always said they are against zone border loading. I realize they were proably talking about loading screens but even a 1-second freeze can be extremely jarring when we're used to the seamless transition that had existed for years.

Are you really going to try to use Blizzard's goal for WoW in 2001 when the game was developed as some kind of operational strategy that cannot be altered in any way shape or form literally a decade later? It's 1 second and for the most part, you rarely cross zone boundaries. It's not even 1 second, it's just a momentary frame hiccup.

I'm sure you're sick of all the CRZ bitching, but that's not even what I'm talking about. It is, quite literally, making the game unplayable for a lot of people due to the amount of bugs inherent in the CRZ system.
Again, I'm not seeing a ton of evidence these aren't garden variety bugs as opposed to something specifically related to CRZ.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Random other glitched I was experiencing the other day. My game was freezing for half a second each time loot was past out to someone. This made doing Naxx extremely annoying when killing trash since people were looting all kinds of stuff and my game kept skipping each time.

Very odd glitch.

Enosh

they should just remove the whole crz thing, test it thoroughly internally and then put it out when it passes at least some basic QA
don't think it's active for my server yet, didn't see anyone with a * while questing on my SP but a lot of people have a lot of problems, that is pretty much unacceptable, especially so close to the release of an expansion

bjb

Banned
Question: Friends sent me a scroll and I'm interested in playing again, but while I'd like to play on their server - I'd prefer a name change. Mostly trying to avoid any potential drama considering my Ex still plays on the same server.

So I called Blizzard asking if they'd do it for free. They wont. And while $10 isn't a lot of money - I'm not even sure how long (if any) I'm going to be playing. I'd rather not spend the money till I know for sure.

Is it possible to just delete my character, then reserve my old name, and ask them to restore it again? Seems like a surefire way to get a free name change.

Angry Grimace

Question: Friends sent me a scroll and I'm interested in playing again, but while I'd like to play on their server - I'd prefer a name change. Mostly trying to avoid any potential drama considering my Ex still plays on the same server.

So I called Blizzard asking if they'd do it for free. They wont. And while $10 isn't a lot of money - I'm not even sure how long (if any) I'm going to be playing. I'd rather not spend the money till I know for sure.

Is it possible to just delete my character, then reserve my old name, and ask them to restore it again? Seems like a surefire way to get a free name change.
I'm sure they would never ever notice that your account has the other name registered.

So you're on the server you want to play on already? Otherwise you just reserve on the destination server and then move.

bjb

Banned
I actually just called back and got a new rep. He was really nice and just did it for free.

So much for the initial mouth-breather who made the entire conservation completely awkward while telling me they NEVER do anything for free lol

Top Bottom