• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I actually just called back and got a new rep. He was really nice and just did it for free.

So much for the initial mouth-breather who made the entire conservation completely awkward while telling me they NEVER do anything for free lol

Why didn't you just tell them that your ex harasses you in game and gotten her account banned so you could keep the old name? =V

Again, I'm not seeing a ton of evidence these aren't garden variety bugs as opposed to something specifically related to CRZ.

There are threads on the official forums of people who can't even log into characters they have in a cross realm zone. Some people crash upon starting up in these area. I know because I've been reading the threads seeing if anyone has had my problem and if they found a work around. It's actual game stability issues happening and while, yes - sometime some issues get over inflated, there's something more afoot here and I'm inclined to agree that it's cross realm related. I've tried doing some of the same stuff in the beta and I have not been able to reproduce what is happening on live.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They said I would have to submit a ticket.

I was being sarcastic. lol

There are threads on the official forums of people who can't even log into characters they have in a cross realm zone. Some people crash upon starting up in these area. I know because I've been reading the threads seeing if anyone has had my problem and if they found a work around. It's actual game stability issues happening and while, yes - sometime some issues get over inflated, there's something more afoot here and I'm inclined to agree that it's cross realm related. I've tried doing some of the same stuff in the beta and I have not been able to reproduce what is happening on live.
Isn't every zone a CRZ except capital cities?

It works on capital cities too, i saw people from another server in Ironforge recently. I guess only SW and Org don't need it.

Hah! Ironforge. Remember when people went there? (And I'm Horde - saw it more invading than anything else.) Seriously, that city is pretty nice especially with the tram, it's just unfortunate that with Cata Blizzard made it impossible to live anywhere else but Org or SW.

Personally I was fan of Thunderbluff for quick auction action, as you can be mounted and access the guild bank, mail and auctioneers pretty quickly, though the revamped Org sort of made that obsolete with a few of its areas. Undercity is decent at times as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hah! Ironforge. Remember when people went there? (And I'm Horde - saw it more invading than anything else.) Seriously, that city is pretty nice especially with the tram, it's just unfortunate that with Cata Blizzard made it impossible to live anywhere else but Org or SW.

Personally I was fan of Thunderbluff for quick auction action, as you can be mounted and access the guild bank, mail and auctioneers pretty quickly, though the revamped Org sort of made that obsolete with a few of its areas. Undercity is decent at times as well.

All of that would have been solved if they bothered putting portals in every cities, as well as all the missing NPCS only available in SW/Org.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Back when I played heavily I would make my base of operations a city that wasn't the big go to place (Alliance at launch so I used Stormwind, Horde at the end of Burning Crusade/Lich King/Cata so I used Thunder Bluff) though since I was a mage it really didn't matter when I wanted to get something done.

Cata and Lich King did make it annoying with how useful Dalaran/Ogr were. Fuck all the hustle and bustle though.

Fjordson

I kinda like when everyone is in one city. I always like seeing everyone running around, checking out the various new pieces of gear and mounts when a raid comes out and whatnot. It's why I liked Dalaran during Wrath.

But for now, I have my hearth set to Dalaran since I play on a shitty laptop. Much easier logging in and getting around town in Dal than in SW where I get like 10 FPS.

Rokam

Think I'm going to take a break from WoW for the next week or so, only thing I was doing was spending about 2-3 hours running dailies and old heroics for rep. Trying to make some blizz bucks in D3 to buy MoP because I'm cheap.

One day Darnassus will be the bustling city it deserves to be /oldmanyellsatcloud

Emerald Dream expansion.

/believe

Think I'm going to take a break from WoW for the next week or so, only thing I was doing was spending about 2-3 hours running dailies and old heroics for rep. Trying to make some blizz bucks in D3 to buy MoP because I'm cheap.

Was also trying to do this (more for transfer money than the expansion itself.) Haven't succeeded. Mostly because I was leveling my Wizard and Barb rather than farming on my DH so I could try and do Inferno with something besides my her, who is still too squishy to farm Act 3.

Bisnic

Is it normal that i don't have the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth(the one with vendors sold for 16k) on all my characters? I thought only class and PVP mounts were excluded.

Or should i make a ticket?

Is it normal that i don't have the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth(the one with vendors sold for 16k) on all my characters? I thought only class and PVP mounts were excluded.

Or should i make a ticket?

Maybe stupid answer, but have you logged in on the character it was originally on? Try cycling logins, and if it still doesn't show up, make a ticket. It shouldn't be excluded.

Measley

Can anyone tell me what the present state of Monks are? I'm not in beta, and the official forums are saying that the class is becoming a joke.

One of the main reasons I'm picking up MoP is the new class, so some objectivity about the new class would be very refreshing.

XenodudeX

Can anyone tell me what the present state of Monks are? I'm not in beta, and the official forums are saying that the class is becoming a joke.

One of the main reasons I'm picking up MoP is the new class, so some objectivity about the new class would be very refreshing.
Pve wise from what I heard is that WW monks does decent damage, but offers little utility. And there seems to be a problem with fists of fury, people don't like the fact that it roots you in place. Not sure about PVP or Pve healing or tanking.

Bisnic

Maybe stupid answer, but have you logged in on the character it was originally on? Try cycling logins, and if it still doesn't show up, make a ticket. It shouldn't be excluded.

Yeah i did, still didn't show up on the others. Made a ticket, i completely forgot that i bought it a few years ago on an alt i have since abandoned. I thought it was a waste back then when i stopped playing this character!

Wasn't a waste after all. :)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You can catch stuff in northrend at 20 skill?

scoobs

I kinda like when everyone is in one city. I always like seeing everyone running around, checking out the various new pieces of gear and mounts when a raid comes out and whatnot. It's why I liked Dalaran during Wrath.

But for now, I have my hearth set to Dalaran since I play on a shitty laptop. Much easier logging in and getting around town in Dal than in SW where I get like 10 FPS.

Liked it better when Ironforge was the go-to city for alliance. Ironforge >>>>> stormwind

Tarazet

Pve wise from what I heard is that WW monks does decent damage, but offers little utility. And there seems to be a problem with fists of fury, people don't like the fact that it roots you in place. Not sure about PVP or Pve healing or tanking.

Sounds like Bear Hug, it hits like a Mack truck but it also roots you in place for 3 seconds. I think it's still possible to rotate in place using the keyboard or mouseturn.

Robin64

Is it normal that i don't have the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth(the one with vendors sold for 16k) on all my characters? I thought only class and PVP mounts were excluded

Keep in mind that the big expensive mammoth isn't neutral. There are two mount IDs for it, one for Alliance and one for Horde. If you purchased it on a Horde character you'll only see it on Horde characters until an Alliance character buys their version too.

Maybe this is what's happening?

Bisnic

Keep in mind that the big expensive mammoth isn't neutral. There are two mount IDs for it, one for Alliance and one for Horde. If you purchased it on a Horde character you'll only see it on Horde characters until an Alliance character buys their version too.

Maybe this is what's happening?

Maybe... it's on a Horde character and i only checked on other Alliance characters... well hopefully the Blizzard guy who will see my ticket will be nice. >_>

neoemonk

weird seeing a screen with zero addons

Haha, I figured someone would say that. I only use Auctioneer. I play maybe two months a year when I get the old itch. I stopped using a lot of addons because when I wanted to play I'd have to do a whole bunch of updates.

Damn you have some good luck! I've fished for hours for that with no luck. Bah, it's my last achievement for the meta too.

El's Anglin said that the herring pools in Howling Fjord have the highest chance of yielding a rare fish for that achievement, and I saw that you could fish in pools with any skill level now, so I headed up there and sure enough, twentyish tries later, dark herring.

strafer

Misc

• Player model updates are a high priority and will come with new animations.
  • Once you complete the legendary gem quest line, you will be able to purchase more gems as needed.
  • Activision has no effect on the game's direction.
  • Observer modes are still on the todo list, but require development time and technical improvements before they can be done.
  • Proving Grounds are still on the todo list and will hopefully make it into one of the Mists of Pandaria patches.
  • "More developers" is often proposed as a solution to various problems and Blizzard is actively hiring. It is hard to find people that fit within the Blizzard culture and it would be a mistake to hire too many people too quickly.
  • Combat racials will be improved for classes that lack them.

PvE
  • The plan is still for more content to be released faster than before to keep players engaged with relevant content and not bored. They are also committed to reducing the time between the last major content patch and the next expansion.
  • Blizzard is not satisfied with the current status of 25-player raids and are still actively seeking a solution.
  • Raid Finder and scenarios will hopefully one day make it down to lower level content.
  • Upon being asked about another raid like Ulduar: "In fact, our next raid zone after these may be right up your alley...."
  • Ulduar like hardmode toggles will be added as appropriate.

PvP

• Blizzard would like to make queuing for random bgs better by ensuring some semblance of healer balance between Alliance/Horde.
  • There are a variety of improvements planed for both rated and unrated BGs.

World

• There are some bugs with cross-realm zones, as well as some tweaks that need to be made.
  • There wasn't time to fix the damage from Deathwing in Stormwind for Mists of Pandaria.
  • Pandaria has the best in-game storytelling there has ever been in an expansion and there will be more Wrathgate level cinematics, some larger events, and a more interactive and involved story without as much phasing.

I hope to get my flame gryphon soon. All I have left is the fill the moonwell. How much does it cost?
Nothing. You get it as part of the achievement that dings. I got it myself last week and, man, was I ever relieved to have finally turned in my last 125 marks!

weird seeing a screen with zero addons
I also adhere to the minimalist add-on mentality. Deadly Boss Mods and Tidy Plates Threat are the only two add-ons I rock. Being a druid bear, I'm fortunate to not have my hand forced beyond the default UI, either. I can fit everything on the action bar. My lady abhors looking at my screen, though. :p

Bisnic

I don't use addons and I like the default UI.

Come at me, bros!

I use addons, but i still use the default UI too. It works fine for all my classes, be it tank, healer or DPS. Don't feel the need to change the UI at all..

Those news sounds goods overall. Glad to see player model updates are a high priority, maybe we'll see a preview of them in a few months.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

My understanding is that monks are not in a good position currently. Based on my anecdotal experience, running dungeons in the beta I have seen monk dps drop off quite a bit, whether this is due to the players or not, I couldn't say. I've been playing a monk tank a bit on the beta recently, it has massive potential, but it doesn't appear to be a top tier tank yet. Being that I haven't had a chance to raid in beta, I couldn't say for healing. They are capable of healing 5 mans is about as far as my monk healing knowledge goes.

IMO, you want monks to come in a little underpowered. I find it pretty unlikely that blizz won't be scrambling to make the new class appealing. You do not want a repeat of DKs where you lose half the cool shit that made you roll the class in the first place.

I can see people getting away without most addons, especially as Blizzard has improved the default UI over the years and made obsolete (or at least relegated to a niche) some previously essential one.

However:

For some classes/roles/activities, you are probably losing out on a lot of convenience and/or clarity of information that could make life easier.

For example - in the screenshot posted above with the paladin, holy power is attached to the player frame which is in the far corner of the screen. That's pretty essential information to be at such a distance from the center of action. Now you can move the player frame in the default UI to be closer to where your eyes would see it more readily, but you can also separate and make the holy power meter much more bold entirely with addons if you want just that info front and center, and don't care as much about the health and mana bars being further away (if you're not a tank or healer, you probably don't care as much about those.)

Maybe not the most poignant example of an improvement, as there are many other more important areas besides moving frames around that addons can improve.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I've done dungeons/questing as a Windwalker so I can't give you an extensive rundown in terms of how well they do in raids and such... but some of their mechanics feels a bit clunky. After talking to someone here on GAF and getting a better idea of their rotation one of the truly annoying things is that one of the abilities that you need to use always is a channeled melee spell, meaning you shouldn't move while you're using it. This means if the mob gets moved your DPS is going to suffer as a result.

Overall their damage apparently has been lackluster as well. I think if they made some tweaks to how they play they could be pretty decent.

They have few things you have to pay attention to:
1) Keeping up the buff from using Tiger Palm (3 stack buff for ~15 seconds which lets your attacks ignore 15% of the enemies armor)
2) Energizing Brew on CD
3) Fists of Fury on CD (this is the channeled ability)
4) Using Tigereye Brew when you have full stacks and using it on CD
5) Your Mastery procing (free Blackout Kick or Tiger Palm)
6) Building Chi via Jab to be able to use: Blackout Kick, Tiger Palm, Rising Sun Kick

They also seem to have a lot of support/utility. It seems a lot of their talents are strictly utility, only the level 90 will actually play into your rotation.

Bisnic

I can see people getting away without most addons, especially as Blizzard has improved the default UI over the years and made obsolete (or at least relegated to a niche) some previously essential one.

However:

For some classes/roles/activities, you are probably losing out on a lot of convenience and/or clarity of information that could make life easier.

For example - in the screenshot posted above with the paladin, holy power is attached to the player frame which is in the far corner of the screen. That's pretty essential information to be at such a distance from the center of action. Now you can move the player frame in the default UI to be closer to where your eyes would see it more readily, but you can also separate and make the holy power meter much more bold entirely with addons if you want just that info front and center, and don't care as much about the health and mana bars being further away (if you're not a tank or healer, you probably don't care as much about those.)

Maybe not the most poignant example of an improvement, as there are many other more important areas besides moving frames around that addons can improve.

My main healer is a holy paladin, and having holy power showing up in top left corner never bothered me, i mean, all i gotta do is move my eyes sligthly for a split second. That's nothing and we do it all the time for other reasons anyway, be it looking at a monster or incoming spell in the distance or whatever. :p

idlewild_

I believe all of the HoPo abilities light up when you have points and get gold borders when you are at 3 points, it might not be the most efficient way to play, but you don't really need to keep track of your points at all since the default UI will remind you.

I haven't tried playing with the default UI in some time, do they allow you to move the action bars around the screen and adjust their size now? I have also seen some people with their unit frames moved around, but didn't know if that was now possible with the default UI or if they were using an addon for that.

it's a very inefficient way to play imho
plus looking at the screen shot he also seems to be a clicker, which is even worse :p

Looks like he's a tank, so being a little slower on your rotation doesn't really matter, especially at L75 and with 500% threat. Some of the best tanks I've ever played with have been clickers, as long as you can press a cooldown/taunt at the right time and move at the right time you're golden. Having your health bars all the way in the left corner as a tank is probably not a good idea though, but again, at L75 I'm not sure it matters.

Entropia

No One Remembers

However:

This is very true. It's amazing how archaic a lot of current UIs are in the MMO space or how unintuitive and a deterrent they are.

I'm fairly certain that if we took a sample of people's UIs here (who have addons and such) that over 75% of them would have the unit frames located at the bottom center of the screen around their action bars.

The way I see it is this: you want your eyes to be focused in one area of the screen as much as possible, you don't want to have to move your eyes from one side of your screen to the other frequently (as would be the case of a Ret Pally looking at their Holy Power). Though you don't want a total overload of data in that area, you want as much and as good of quality of data as you can get in that area.

Here's a screenshot of my interface: http://i.imgur.com/lD8yW.jpg

The blue frame is the extent of what I probably have to look at at some point during a fight to look at things like DoT timers (I could move this, but I it would be clunky to move elsewhere), or the damage/threat/healing meter and Grid. But I can also clearly see any environmental aspects, adds, etc.

The green frame though is where I am most of the time. I can see what I am targeting, any power aura popups, my cooldowns, my action bars (consolidated to a single area), my DoT duration (on single target fights), out going damage, power gains, incoming heals, etc. So while I can see a lot of information, it's not inundating me.

Anyway, that's my little rant on UI design.

I believe all of the HoPo abilities light up when you have points and get gold borders when you are at 3 points, it might not be the most efficient way to play, but you don't really need to keep track of your points at all since the default UI will remind you.

I haven't tried playing with the default UI in some time, do they allow you to move the action bars around the screen and adjust their size now? I have also seen some people with their unit frames moved around, but didn't know if that was now possible with the default UI or if they were using an addon for that.

Yes, the abilities do light up but you need to mindful of how much you have for upcoming GCDs.

To my knowledge, action bars are still locked to where they always have been so if you've seen bars moved around they are most likely using an addon.

Man, my rogue only needs heroic tier helm to finish out his DS gear. I really just wanted to leave him decked out from DS and retire him. The helm dropped last night but I lost the roll. :( I guess I have one more week to get lucky.

I like raiding as a rogue (sometimes) but on challenging bosses it almost always ends up with the group wiping over and over again while the tanks and healers figure their shit out. So in MoP I'm switching to a tank full time, probably a monk.

Top Bottom