• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

ampere

damn you to hell. I'm gonna keep grinding though, its gotta drop eventually right!? I've gotten all the other rare drops in the game, this one keeps evading me though

Heh, there's a really low chance you could do that instance all day for the rest of your life and never see it drop :p

You'll probably get it eventually of course

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the odds of it never dropping after a certain amount of runs is so low that if it keeps not dropping then clearly blizzard is fucking with me :)

Sure, but random is random. The highest number of runs I have is on Attumen, and I have like 50 runs across all my characters. I have Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider, Rivendare's Deathcharger and the North Wind drake.

Magnus

Auto-disconnect as I attempt to log into any server. Also, all the servers are listed in RED, but all show up as online on the realm status page.

WHAT GIVES?! :(

Ultratech

Auto-disconnect as I attempt to log into any server. Also, all the servers are listed in RED, but all show up as online on the realm status page.

WHAT GIVES?! :(

Something seems to be borked, since tons of people are having the same issue, myself included.

Edit: It's working now. Just need to close out of the game, download the patch, and log in.

sazzy

So, is it a good idea to be selling bags and mats now or when the expansion is live? I figure there's gonna be massive supply immediately after launch.

Hi guys. I'm new with Wow, don't blame me :(.
In ten days my one month free subscription will expire. I'm not intended to start a new subscription until december (i.e. end of university). I heard that the status of my account will be "frozen".
Is that correct?
My pgs will be there with all their experience/inventory/gold forevere, won't they? (even if i never paid the subscription)
When i start a new subscription will the re activation be instant or i will be supposed to wait a certain time?
Thanks, sorry for the english.

PS: I'm a 68 lv and i just beat the quests in hellfire peninsula, in outland (waaaaay boring). I don't like outland at all. Can i skip it and sail to Northrend? I know that you can start to quest there from level 68.
Thanks again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Indeed, all your stuff will remain intact. There's also no wait time from the moment you re-activated your account to when you're able to play again.

scoobs

i quit playing for almost 3 years at one point and I was shocked that absolutely everything was exactly where I left it that long ago. Gotta love blizzard

JCizzle

Hi guys. I'm new with Wow, don't blame me :(.
In ten days my one month free subscription will expire. I'm not intended to start a new subscription until december (i.e. end of university). I heard that the status of my account will be "frozen".
Is that correct?
My pgs will be there with all their experience/inventory/gold forevere, won't they? (even if i never paid the subscription)
When i start a new subscription will the re activation be instant or i will be supposed to wait a certain time?
Thanks, sorry for the english.

PS: I'm a 68 lv and i just beat the quests in hellfire peninsula, in outland (waaaaay boring). I don't like outland at all. Can i skip it and sail to Northrend? I know that you can start to quest there from level 68.
Thanks again.

You leveled from 58-68 all in Hellfire? o_O

And yeah, you can move to either Northrend starting zone at lvl 68, but going to Cata content requires 80, not 78.

RPGCrazied

Getting PVP gear is so easy/fast now. I remember back in the day when it was hard as hell, and lucky if you were to get one item a week. I haven't PVP'd in a while, but I got a chest/shoulder item in one day.

I like to keep the rotation simple. If I have to watch a debuff tick down, then it's dividing my attention when I should be watching health bars and making sure there are no adds chewing on my healer. I prefer to just use FFF (actually FS) every 12 seconds and Thrash every 12 seconds. It's more important to keep applying Lacerate and Mangle as frequently as possible.
You're focusing solely on only one aspect of being a tank. Yes, watching health bars and keeping mobs off of enemies is a huge part, but so is ensuring you are pulling as much threat as possible. As bears, we also have the ability to do massive amounts of DPS (for tanks).

Bear tanking isn't so simple now, so it's not more important to apply Lacerate and Mangle. Managing Savage Defense, Frenzied Regeneration, Thrash, Lacerate, and Faerie Fire, in addition to taking a Mangle every time it comes off CD. This is the whole package for bear rotation and it requires us to pay attention to many buffs, debuffs, and CDs. Blizz wanted tanking to be more active now, and they've succeeded, in my opinion.

If you want to maximize your Mangle uptime, while maximizing DPS, then you want to proc Lacerate and FF every CD and Throw up Thrash when it's about to drop off or when Mangle, Lacerate, and FF are on CD. Trust me, you'll do more damage and garner more threat.

Footnote - This is all for single target tanking, of course.

Ultratech

i quit playing for almost 3 years at one point and I was shocked that absolutely everything was exactly where I left it that long ago. Gotta love blizzard

Heh, I wish I could say this.

I quit around 2.3 (Zul'Aman raid), then I found out I got hacked and turned into a Mining drone. Luckily, I got my account secured, and by the time I managed to get back into the game (re: way back around March?), my poor guy was still at 70, but smack in the middle of Wintergrasp with bags full of Saronite. At least I got a crapton of money out of it. But I also lost my Leatherworking. :(

crpav

I don't think Blizzard should lower the drop rate of the Heroic Ragnoros mount because that raid is still hard. I can see DS because of how they nerfed it but Heroic Firelands is still hard....unless you are a super elite raid team. I say if they nerf the drop rate then at least nerf the raid.

Indeed, all your stuff will remain intact. There's also no wait time from the moment you re-activated your account to when you're able to play again.

Thanks!

You leveled from 58-68 all in Hellfire? o_O

And yeah, you can move to either Northrend starting zone at lvl 68, but going to Cata content requires 80, not 78.

I don't remember from which level i started questing in hellfire, not from 58 because i could already fly.
BTW thanks for the answer.

Lol i don't know how to get all that money to buy the last two flying licenses.
I think i did Shadow Labirynth 5 times and none of the items i want has been dropped :(. sometimes it's frustrating.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, is it a good idea to be selling bags and mats now or when the expansion is live? I figure there's gonna be massive supply immediately after launch.

You could do either. There's going to be a lot of people buying the stuff just before the expansion hits so they have it right away, and there's going to be people who wait till their characters are made before they buy them.

sazzy

You could do either. There's going to be a lot of people buying the stuff just before the expansion hits so they have it right away, and there's going to be people who wait till their characters are made before they buy them.

Cool thanks!

idlewild_

I don't think Blizzard should lower the drop rate of the Heroic Ragnoros mount because that raid is still hard. I can see DS because of how they nerfed it but Heroic Firelands is still hard....unless you are a super elite raid team. I say if they nerf the drop rate then at least nerf the raid.

The fight will be trivial once you're in mists gear, the fight is currently 'tuned' for 25k-ish dps. In full raid gear, from just the first tier of mists, you're already pulling in the neighborhood of 100k. You can eat back to back magma traps, kill the intermission adds in 1-2 hits, you will have at max one meteor, can soak 3-4 hits of engulfing flames, probably could kill him before dreadflames cover the area without deluge, etc. etc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The fight will be trivial once you're in mists gear, the fight is currently 'tuned' for 25k-ish dps. In full raid gear, from just the first tier of mists, you're already pulling in the neighborhood of 100k. You can eat back to back magma traps, kill the intermission adds in 1-2 hits, you will have at max one meteor, can soak 3-4 hits of engulfing flames, probably could kill him before dreadflames cover the area without deluge, etc. etc.

Right now, most "average" groups that can kill him get 1 meteor, if your group has good DPS you can get 0.

Either way yeah, it'll be a huge joke.

I like huge jokes. Soloing Sethekk Halls to get the Raven Lord was still fun. Not every mount drop needs to be this huge 5/10/25 person challenge, especially when it's "old" content.

The challenge is still there - a challenge to your patience and determination.

Macmanus

So I haven't really played since Vanilla, and I'm starting from scratch. The game feels incredibly different and I'm incredibly ignorant. I'm working on a warrior who is in his early 20s. What sort of UI mods would someone recommend? I want to lay out my abilities in a clear and decisive manner so I can get my rotations down pretty solid as early as possible.

Also any general tips for someone who hasn't touched this game in about 6 years would be appreciated.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I haven't really played since Vanilla, and I'm starting from scratch. The game feels incredibly different and I'm incredibly ignorant. I'm working on a warrior who is in his early 20s. What sort of UI mods would someone recommend? I want to lay out my abilities in a clear and decisive manner so I can get my rotations down pretty solid as early as possible.

Also any general tips for someone who hasn't touched this game in about 6 years would be appreciated.

I use Dominos for my action bar mod, it lets you move everything around and customize them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If you're playing a warrior and want to tank, make sure you mention it to the rest of the group. Otherwise, they will all assume the tank know the instance and its bosses. If you take the time to say its your 1st time, they should tell you what to do, although low lvl bosses are all very simple and have little to no strategy involved. But once you reach lvl 70+ instances, that might get a little more complicated as most bosses starts using unique and/or dangerous abilities.

Although that haven't really change in 6 years, get 2 gathering professions while lvling and sell everything you gather in the AH, you'll need the money.

Don't know anything about Warriors but here are some great addons to consider:

Recount for measuring people's DPS and healing
Titan Panel for general info on your UI
Mappy for a bigger minimap

Macmanus

Valuable information

Thanks for this. So far I've remembers the basics pretty well. Things like Dead Mines, Wailing Caverns, and Shadowfang are basically the same for the most part - though all stream lined. It's insane being able to run through one of these with a PUG in under 15 minutes.

I've been selling stacks of copper like mad, and easily get 10G a pop for them - which to me is just absolutely insane. I was going to go Engineering for fun, but I think you're right. I'll just grab herbalism instead to up the gold count.

Recount for measuring people's DPS and healing
Titan Panel for general info on your UI
Mappy for a bigger minimap

Awesome thanks!

One thing I've noticed is that the community as a whole comes off as a lot friendlier are significantly more mature than when I left. Did they just grow up with the game, or am I delusional?

Bisnic

Thanks for this. So far I've remembers the basics pretty well. Things like Dead Mines, Wailing Caverns, and Shadowfang are basically the same for the most part - though all stream lined. It's insane being able to run through one of these with a PUG in under 15 minutes.

I've been selling stacks of copper like mad, and easily get 10G a pop for them - which to me is just absolutely insane. I was going to go Engineering for fun, but I think you're right. I'll just grab herbalism instead to up the gold count.

Once you got enough money to buy the 2nd fastest flying mount speed(which is like 4000g when exalted with SW/Org), you could get rid of Herbalism and go for Engineering... although i would argue that Jewelcrafting or Blacksmith are more useful and goes just as well with Mining.

One thing I've noticed is that the community as a whole comes off as a lot friendlier are significantly more mature than when I left. Did they just grow up with the game, or am I delusional?

That depends... some PUGS can be really intolerant and impatient when mistakes happen. Hopefully you wont meet too many of them. Which sucks for new players really, since mistakes will happen with them since they don't know everything. I did Scarlet Halls the other day with my lvl 30 Warlock, and at least 4 or 5 people left because either the healer couldn't save 2 people from dying or the paladin tank forgot to put Righteous Fury on for threat.

Otherwise, people are ok i guess. You still get the usual idiots who spam Trade chat with political, religious or ingame crap. :lol

JCizzle

Awesome thanks!

You'll still run into asses at 85 and in trade chat, but overall I agree that the community has relaxed a lot over time.

Chris R

Dinged 80 last night on my Shaman, sucks that there was no leadin quest to Hyjal (I forgot if there was one when I played my mage, screw the ocean stuff) but flying there didn't take too long. Yay for mobs destroying me in my shitty heirlooms and quest gear from Borean Tundra :( Onward to 85 for MoP launch!

Bisnic

Dinged 80 last night on my Shaman, sucks that there was no leadin quest to Hyjal (I forgot if there was one when I played my mage, screw the ocean stuff) but flying there didn't take too long. Yay for mobs destroying me in my shitty heirlooms and quest gear from Borean Tundra :( Onward to 85 for MoP launch!

There is one though, i know for alliance you gotta talk to a night elf in the Stormwind castle, which will teleport you to Moonglade, where you hop on a drake and see Ragnaros/Deathwing while flying to the first Hyjal quests.

Are you saying you used your flying mount and went there by yourself? :p

Chris R

There is one though, i know for alliance you gotta talk to a night elf in the Stormwind castle, which will teleport you to Moonglade, where you hop on a drake and see Ragnaros/Deathwing while flying to the first Hyjal quests.

Ya I just flew to the Inn and started some quests, not that far from Org. There were quests trying to lead me to the water zone but I'm never going there again if I can help it.

Even if you've already hearthed there, it's still worth it to do the quest chain he's talking about. It will open up the hyjal portal in stormwind.

I made a point to do the intro quests for the cata areas on all my toons just for the convenience of having all those portals in SW.

Tarazet

I hadn't played the game ever and started up about two months ago. Use your resources like wowhead, wow-professions, elitistjerks, etc. to learn about your class, learn how to level your crafts/gathering, and generally find your way around. Join a leveling/twink guild (you get lots of perks just for being in one) and queue for random dungeon runs. As far as mods, OmniCC, Deadly Boss Mods, Recount, and TidyPlates are my choices.

Chris R

I don't get ele, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Tried it when 5.0.4 launched since I unlocked 2nd spec and stuff just wasn't dying as fast when I was enhance (granted I was using my enhance gear).

Sciz

Even pure LB spam isn't as tedious as it used to be if you can get your hands on Glyph of Unleashed Lightning early on.

Magnus

What's the slick, minimalistic UI I've seen people using in vids/screenshots for like, years now? I'm pretty sure it's either Grid or Vuhdo or something. I've been using XPerl forever and am comfortable with it, but I'd prefer to try something cleaner/newer for a change.

I'll try to find a screenshot of the one I'm talking about.

Dresden

Even pure LB spam isn't as tedious as it used to be if you can get your hands on Glyph of Unleashed Lightning early on.

I don't get why they didn't just make it baseline (without the haste penalty, even). So many glyphs, so little space.

ampere

What's the slick, minimalistic UI I've seen people using in vids/screenshots for like, years now? I'm pretty sure it's either Grid or Vuhdo or something. I've been using XPerl forever and am comfortable with it, but I'd prefer to try something cleaner/newer for a change.

I'll try to find a screenshot of the one I'm talking about.

Maybe TukUI or one of its variants:

http://www.tukui.org/addons/

here's a picture of ElvUI

elv.jpg

It's a good UI, but I prefer to make my own from scratch with various addons

ElvUI was the one I was thinking of as an answer but I couldn't remember the name until ^^. I tried it out for a bit, but I think it handles too much for you. Alright if you just want an all-in-one package though.

RPGCrazied

Anyone else not like the new lighting system? No, I'm not talking about shadows or liquid detail, but some of the lighting doesn't look very good, at least on my monitor. Example: make a draenei, and look at the character select screen. Wasn't that dark before.

Anyone else not like the new lighting system? No, I'm not talking about shadows or liquid detail, but some of the lighting doesn't look very good, at least on my monitor. Example: make a draenei, and look at the character select screen. Wasn't that dark before.
Yeah it looks a little weird. I was hoping they would be giving every race a new background for the expansion once they released the Tauren and Human ones.

Top Bottom